Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm planning on playing the following games chronologically.
The list is a bit raw; are there any games on the list not that important, or really undisputable games missed? Feel free to highlight any bad decisions regarding the captions.
The Faery Tale Adventure is the first Open World CRPG, and it's a fairly short game (created by one person in seven months in 1986 for the Commodore Amiga, a new type of computer released late the previous year).

vOilbtL.jpg
kjzBMpr.jpg

8utYSx5.jpg
whvjXxJ.jpg

Also an early example of skeuomorphism in CRPG UI, for two of three elements.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Dark Sun has everything and in the right amount, one of the best cRPGs that I played.

and one of the purest cRPGs by format

10 bucks on GoG for both Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager. Worth it?
Absolutely bro

Can't say enough good things about that game. Great writing, great setting. UI ahead of its time, radial menu predecessor. Multiple quest solutions. Great music. In many ways its kind of Fallout 1 of the goldbox era.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting, I know you mentioned it as a pretty good, but very hard RPG, but that good? Could you, or did you elaborate why?

Well, it's extremely good in some areas. The combat is among the very best of the DOS era. You'll fight some very large battles and there's no random encounters at all, thus no opportunity to grind. So it's pretty hard as well.
There's a crap load of different items to find.
Very good skill based character system.

But very bare bones when it comes to story and NPC interaction, so not everyone's cup of tea.
But definitely one of my personal favourites.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Interesting, I know you mentioned it as a pretty good, but very hard RPG, but that good? Could you, or did you elaborate why?
Imagine elaborate combat of Wizard's Crown and Wizard's Crown-y character system, add to it the better quests, towns and dungeons (still, pretty barebones). Sprinkle with interesting magic system and some great mechanics. You will get purest combatfag RPG - Nahlakh.

The list is a bit raw; are there any games on the list not that important, or really undisputable games missed?
Good list that covers a lot of influential series and subgenres.
Maybe add to it The Legacy , Wizardry 4, The Summoning, Dark Heart of Uukrul, Exile, Aethra Chronicles and Albion. Speaking from the top of my head. Just to get a taste of the games that tried to do some things differently.

Last edited:

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Kinda a weird request here:

But looking for the "Hidden Gems" from between 2009 - 2017

All the hidden gems are well covered in year in reviews for 2017 to today, I was in gaming enough before 2009 to know what was good.

but the 2009 - 2017 is a bit of a blank period, what are the hidden gems from that time?

Your Trials Of Fire type game that no one is going to be writing about 5 years from now

V_K

Arcane

All the hidden gems are well covered in year in reviews for 2017 to today, I was in gaming enough before 2009 to know what was good.

but the 2009 - 2017 is a bit of a blank period, what are the hidden gems from that time?

Your Trials Of Fire type game that no one is going to be writing about 5 years from now
See here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...serve-more-attention-updated-jan-2020.106945/

Mortmal

Arcane

See here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...serve-more-attention-updated-jan-2020.106945/
Title is still as misleading as ever, "obscure indies deserving more attention" : They clearly dont, not even one title there . The thread is for when you played the few great titles and so bored you are scrapping the bottom of the barrel. They are only worth playing if you dont value your time at all, like posting on the dex.

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
Depending on your goal, maybe also a few 70s games, like pedit 5 and Temple of Apshai.

It is an inaugural journey. A mix of fun (primarily), respect for the genre (I don't know how to describe it, I feel an impetus to do it) and self qualification (maybe I am a simple guy and will prefer Skyrim in the end of the day, but I can't know it if I don't try) — even if people say in the future that my taste is somewhat dumb, I will at least understand (I think that is the word) why and be able to see what people came to expect of their games.

That said, I may fall in love with the games and reignite the journey, it is not a definitive list. However, I don't have the goal now (and probably will never do) to finish or play all the games. There are a lot of qualified people doing this for a long time (some are more eloquent and public, some are describing their attempts, others are more hermetical), so that not everyone needs to do it: I believe the community exists for this, for a common ground (we respect the hardcore ones, we access what they have to say).

I hope this insight helps on further tips.

Pre-IV Ultima are historically interesting, but far less interesting as games.
pedit 5 and Temple of Apshai.

Akalabeth and Rogue are "#" (playing an hour, not even that); Ultima and Wizardry are kind of short and their series seem so important; I will change Might and Magic from "+" to "#", then; maybe "#" to pedit 5 and Temple of Apshai.

Which do you think is more important (Akalabeth or pedit 5 and Temple of Apshai)?

Dark Sun has everything and in the right amount, one of the best cRPGs that I played.
and one of the purest cRPGs by format
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Added to the finish list. Always wanted to have a glimpse of the module.

The Dark Heart of Uukrul
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Dark Heart of Uukrul

Added to the finish list. No idea what to expect.

I'd suggest Starflight, with a +, since it has questionable combat
StarFlight

Is it science fiction? Real science fiction? I've read Ultima has space combat; even Final Fantasy IV and Phantasy Star have the theme. I will put Starflight between "#" and "+" depending on how unique it is: the furthest from a fantasy staple in the stars.

Quest for Glory titles, including the original under the Hero's Quest name.

Quest for Glory I is on the list as a "#". Will change it to "+" (well, in the end, "+" will be finish, if I know myself). Do you recommend the full series, or would you highlight any title (1 is already there)?

Phantasie, and Bard's Tale series are also beloved.
Phantasie.
The Bard's Tale 1-3 Phantasie 1-3

I am frightened by series (said the guy who is planning to play a boatload of Ultima and Wizadry). Is it possible to say: "this game is the ONE" (has the potential to summarize it all)? Or they are important as series (only by playing it all you can capture it)?

Betrayal at Krondor and Lands of Lore.

Funnily enough, Betrayal at Krondor is the only game here that I launched and actually played more than just experiencing one combat (it really is noob friendly). I will consider adding it as a "+".

About Lands of Lore, is "#" enough?

Regarding Might & Magic, III and World of Xeen are very similar. III is very polished, while Xeen is insanely ambitious, people will often argue which one is the best of the classic ones. Since you're going all the way to Wizardry 8, should include Might & Magic VII too.

Will finish Might and Magic 3, then proceed to 4 as a "+". I could even go crazy and play 5 (I've read 4 and 5 are somehow intertwined). Added Might and Magic VII as a "+".

Demon's Winter The Magic Candle Dragon Wars Disciples of Steel Nahlakh Natuk

Since I have never heard about the games before, I will probably read about them here and on the book. Do you think any of them can be "+", or even "#"?

Open World CRPG, and it's a fairly short game (created by one person in seven months in 1986 for the Commodore Amiga, a new type of computer released late the previous year).

Would it be heretical to test it in DosBox?

Maybe add to it The Legacy, Wizardry 4, The Summoning, [...] Exile, Aethra Chronicles and Albion.

Wizardry 4 was on the list as a "#". I am not entirely sure if I can traverse through the floors having only played one (maybe two) mapping experiences when I arrive at the game. Once, you recommend To Hell With Guns; maybe I should play it before starting?

About the other games; all of them must finish, or just must play?

Thank you all! I will probably appear throughout the games' threads in some months noobing, asking about patches and sharing experience.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Since I have never heard about the games before, I will probably read about them here and on the book. Do you think any of them can be "+", or even "#"?

They are all worth trying at least.

Magic Candle is like a more advanced (as in game mechanics) Ultima with more focus on combat. Also had some unique things like shroom addiction and splitting of the party logistics.

Dragon Wars is a blobber with more C&C and writing than usual. Not one of my personal favourites, but if you're of the Fallout/Arcanum school I guess this is the blobber for you.

Definitely try Disciples of Steel if you like tactical combat. Open, area scaled world to explore, good character system, great combat system, not much in NPC interaction and C&C, though.
Same can be said of Nahalak, only it's more extreme. If you like Nahlakh, you should also like Natuk.

As for Bard's Tale and Phantasie the first entry is generally considered the best one (personally I have a soft spot for BT2 and P3, though). So I'd try them and see if you want more.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Is it science fiction? Real science fiction?
Yep. If you like SF, then try both Megatravellers, Whale's Voyage, Hard Nova and Planet's Edge. Also Psionics. Maybe B.A.T., it's not a pure RPG, though.
Dark Heart of Uukrul.
No idea what to expect.
A ton of awesomeness. A lot of combat, some story, complex maps, little interesting things and the hard puzzles.
QfG
Do you recommend the full series, or would you highlight any title (1 is already there)?
It's a great series. First, second and fourth part are awesome.
Since I have never heard about the games before, I will probably read about them here and on the book. Do you think any of them can be "+", or even "#"
Great games, but I especially recommend Dragon Wars.
Once, you recommend To Hell With Guns; maybe I should play it before starting?
Yep. Add to list CryptRat's next game, Notes of the Outskirts. Truly beautiful level design.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Imagine elaborate combat of Wizard's Crown and Wizard's Crown-y character system, add to it the better quests, towns and dungeons (still, pretty barebones). Sprinkle with interesting magic system and some great mechanics. You will get purest combatfag RPG - Nahlakh.

The list is a bit raw; are there any games on the list not that important, or really undisputable games missed?
Good list that covers a lot of influential series and subgenres.
Maybe add to it The Legacy , Wizardry 4, The Summoning, Dark Heart of Uukrul, Exile, Aethra Chronicles and Albion. Speaking from the top of my head. Just to get a taste of the games that tried to do some things differently.

Hello, Fowyr.

I know you have extensive knowledge on rpgs, so, whats the essential combatheavy rpgs to play it, if you want to take this hobby seriously? If the combat is excellent and with deep and meanigful rules/mechanics, I can try out anything.

Aside the obvious rpgs, obv, like ToEE, KotC, JA 2, Gold Box, etc.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Well, it's extremely good in some areas. The combat is among the very best of the DOS era. You'll fight some very large battles and there's no random encounters at all, thus no opportunity to grind. So it's pretty hard as well.
There's a crap load of different items to find.
Very good skill based character system.
Interesting, I think I'll give it a shot after I finish the Ultima Underworld games.
Do you recommend the full series, or would you highlight any title (1 is already there)?
The fourth game is very buggy and the fifth game is...different...very different. Otherwise the series is top-notch.
Yep. If you like SF, then try both Megatravellers, Whale's Voyage, Hard Nova and Planet's Edge. Also Psionics. Maybe B.A.T., it's not a pure RPG, though.
I would add a warning to those, most of these aren't of the best quality. Planet's Edge and BAT are both questionable as RPGs, and BAT is more so a French adventure game. Very interesting though. Psionics I remember being just bad, assuming you're talking about the DOS shareware RPG.
Actually if experimental is on the table, I'd suggest Elvira, even if its possibly the hardest game you could play outside of maybe Wizardry 4. Very interesting as a game once you get past that.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Magic Candle is like a more advanced (as in game mechanics) Ultima with more focus on combat. Also had some unique things like shroom addiction and splitting of the party logistics.
With recent Ultima clones like Nox Archaist, I wish someone would make a Magic Candle clone

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My personal list, included only games what I played myself, may forgot several titles and don't mention hybrids except Bloodnet. You almost can't be wrong with the first part of this list.

The list IS shit (Anvil of Dawn? Baldur's Gate? All Geneforge games?), but the idea is good.

The Codex MUST compile a list of must-play games, essential games that must be experienced by every RPG fan (for reasons other than it looks very pretty, which is probably the only reason to play BG).

I think that it's a great opportunity for the staff (DU? VoD?) to pen a one of a kind article (goes without saying that it should be more than a list of names; each name should be accompanied by a few paragraphs explaining what this game is doing on the list), but everyone can contribute and provide names and reasons. Screenshots would be a nice bonus.

Wow, didn't know you did this Fowyr.
I wanted to do something like this, you beat me by 10 years, still, i want to do it with a couple of monocled Codexers wanting to spend some time on this, it'd be the real Monocled Codex Must play and not some B-tier Top Codex RPG list.

Ideally, one list regrouping the must play of all (or 80%) of these monocled individuals and some optional games in a secondary list for the slightly less popular RPG.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Hello, Fowyr.

I know you have extensive knowledge on rpgs, so, whats the essential combatheavy rpgs to play it, if you want to take this hobby seriously? If the combat is excellent and with deep and meanigful rules/mechanics, I can try out anything.
Then try obvious game as well - Wizardry 7. Exile 3 (it had best magic arsenal from all Exile series), Aethra Chronicles, aforementioned Nahlakh and Natuk, Knights of the Chalice and Realms of Arkania.

Psionics I remember being just bad, assuming you're talking about the DOS shareware RPG.
Yep, that one. I remember that it was extremely short, but somewhat interesting.

Oh! Crescent Hawk Inception (great combat, but atrocious last puzzle) and Countdown to Doomsday were great as well.
Actually if experimental is on the table, I'd suggest Elvira, even if its possibly the hardest game you could play outside of maybe Wizardry 4. Very interesting as a game once you get past that.
Nah, it is not the hardest game, it had only one small maze in Elvira 1 and one real dungeon in Elvira 2. Both are great games. Waxworks, third part in all by name, was smaller and had some pure adventure parts (Jack the Ripper segment).

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
Commodore Amiga
Would it be heretical to test it in DosBox?

I was reading in "The CRPG Book" about the recommended games here in when I found this:

sj3nq8Y

I laughed out loud; I was not actively browsing trough the "Contributors" section: after "The Summoning", I was trying to return to "Contents" section, but opened the wrong page and your name kind of caught my attention.

I decided, then, to add learning how to emulate Amiga, besides playing "To Hell With Guns", to things to do before starting to fulfil the list. When I play "The Faery Tale Adventure", I will play it right.

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
I don't exactly know how to upload images.

The text was the following:

"Zed Duke of Banville (ZD) has been playing CRPGs since 1986. Although he now reluctantly plays games on IBM PCs and consoles, he spends his spare time building a time machine so that he can travel back and establish Amiga world domination."

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Nah, it is not the hardest game, it had only one small maze in Elvira 1 and one real dungeon in Elvira 2. Both are great games. Waxworks, third part in all by name, was smaller and had some pure adventure parts (Jack the Ripper segment).
I'm not really talking about the maze. (there's another you're forgetting) But there's a lot of aspects in Elvira that force you to restart the game, there aren't many health items and if you get below a certain threshold, you lose stats. Its certainly come off as one of the hardest games I've ever played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom