Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex never ever)

DemonKing

Arcane
They've showed so little of the gameplay, methinks this is gonna be another one of those Youtube "games".

Gameplay we've seen looks a little too busy for my taste, but I like the aesthetics, soundtrack and humour so far.

Hopefully it's better than the movies. I still cringe at Star Lord saving the galaxy by distracting the big bad with goofy dancing.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Finished the first two chapters last night. It was ok although the second chapter was basically an extended cutscene where your hands are bound the whole time and you're just following an NPC around and making dialog choices.

Actually seems to be a bit of C&C - at one stage I had to choose whether to hide some high tech equipment or a space llama from authorities and ended up getting fined 8,000 credits for an unauthorised biological entity when the authorities searched my ship and found the llama...

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://steamdb.info/app/1088850/graphs/

2uhJPhR.png

the game just got released, and its all-time peak is less than 10k players (Deus Ex MD's peak was 50k players).

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamdb.info/app/1088850/graphs/

2uhJPhR.png

the game just got released, and its all-time peak is less than 10k players (Deus Ex MD's peak was 50k players).
I noticed there were very few reviews despite being the global top seller, and didn't understand at first. After checking around, it doesn't appear they made it available for preload (on Steam), or perhaps it was only a partial preload, so people are probably still downloading it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I doubt this will hit even a half of Avengers' peak number (31,165) but it would be fair to wait till weekend before comparing the numbers.

I’m an old man and I don’t totally understand the nuances of Steam in 2021, but what on Earth is the reasoning behind not making a AAA release available for preload? Piracy concerns?

Codex Year of the Donut
I’m an old man and I don’t totally understand the nuances of Steam in 2021, but what on Earth is the reasoning behind not making a AAA release available for preload? Piracy concerns?
PC was likely an afterthought to begin with, this is clearly targeting the console crowd.

Codex Year of the Donut
wonder if the reason for the low amount of players is the high system requirements, could be the first time we're seeing the impact of the GPU shortage on the PC gaming market

of the top 5 most popular GPUs in Steam's hardware survey, only 1 is above the minimum requirements

Codex Year of the Donut
probably the biggest PC flop of the year, doubt it's doing anywhere near as badly on consoles though
the game doesn't seem bad and it has rather good reviews(91% positive), kinda strange tbh

DemonKing

Arcane
I finished up to the end of Chapter 3 last night - the game definitely coasts on it's graphical fidelity, SFX, voice acting and storyline/script. The actual combat is average at best and the puzzles fairly rudimentary (so far). It's also been completely linear up to this point apart from exploring some side paths for crafting materials/skins (although my choices at a couple of points do seem likely to have an impact on the future).

Saying that, it's an enjoyable enough time waster. Definitely enjoying it more than than Deathloop so far.

Wunderbar

Arcane
kinda strange tbh
there's nothing strange about that.
Superhero fatigue + gamers still remember that shitty Avengers game + Square Enix did a bad job with marketing. I bet a lot of potential buyers just thought it's another game-as-a-service crap, or even a DLC for Avengers.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The trailer showed me Mantis and Cosmo - I'm sold.

Although I would 50x prefer green skinned Mantis, and I never imagined Cosmo having such a thick Russian accent.

Codex Year of the Donut
kinda strange tbh
there's nothing strange about that.
Superhero fatigue + gamers still remember that shitty Avengers game + Square Enix did a bad job with marketing. I bet a lot of potential buyers just thought it's another game-as-a-service crap, or even a DLC for Avengers.
I see nothing to suggest it isn't selling well on consoles though. The PS5 version currently has 4x as many user reviews on metacritic as the PC version.

toughasnails

wonder if the reason for the low amount of players is the high system requirements, could be the first time we're seeing the impact of the GPU shortage on the PC gaming market

of the top 5 most popular GPUs in Steam's hardware survey, only 1 is above the minimum requirements
Could be, and I wonder if we will be seeing more of that and what the impact on AAA PC gaming will be.
There haven't been that many games that were properly built for next gen yet, mostly have been seeing cross gen titles or those that even though they are released only on next gen console show that they were long developed for last gen (Deathloop).

J1M

Arcane
Given the size of modern installs, for most people with good download speeds it is actually faster to download the assets than to decrypt them. :lol:

Also, all of you should be hoping this fails hard when it comes to sales, but is considered nice graphically and bug free. This is from the studio that used to work on Deus Ex prequels. The only chance you have of seeing another of those is if they get pivoted back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom