Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Remnant series" or something like that

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Game is quite shit. It has all kind of nonsenical enemies of the exploding variety, spawns hordes behind you, bosses 2 hit kill you while swarming and spawning exploding enemies behind you, all content is repeated to nausea. And to top that off, equipment is a rarity but not in a good way. You are stuck using the garbage weapons, fighting the same garbage enemies over and over again till you are bored out of your fckn mind. It's a rubbish game, if I was IGN I would've given it 6/10.

But since I am not IGN, I just stopped playing. Rubbish with no soul or passion.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Game is quite shit. It has all kind of nonsenical enemies of the exploding variety, spawns hordes behind you, bosses 2 hit kill you while swarming and spawning exploding enemies behind you, all content is repeated to nausea. And to top that off, equipment is a rarity but not in a good way. You are stuck using the garbage weapons, fighting the same garbage enemies over and over again till you are bored out of your fckn mind. It's a rubbish game, if I was IGN I would've given it 6/10.

But since I am not IGN, I just stopped playing. Rubbish with no soul or passion.
i disagree. while you are right about hordes of enemies attacking you and bosses, keep in mind that the game is balanced around multiplayer. certain levels are very hard alone ( but doable) but becomes balanced in coop. some bosses are clearly designed around coop, others are actually easier solo, but in general there is always the choice to play coop or solo.
weapon variety is decent even if some weapons are locked behind bosses . a lot of rings and mods. much fewer armor choice.
the thing i would change is how mods work. instead being "mods" they should be equippable skills in a skillbar of say 5 slots. i would like to use more than 2 mods at same time, but maybe the game would bevome too easy that way. another necessary change is that in browsing games to join the location of the player is not specific enough. i want to know the name of the dungeon to farm boss i haven't encountered in my playthrough.
least but not less important VOICE CHAT DOESNT WORK

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Weak weapons? Someone didn't use the boss weapons.
yeah singe gun is op. it occupied my pistol slot permanently i think. on the other hand from another boss (clavinger) i got a shitty hammer because i didnt know you had to met certain conditions to receive the "best" reward. i plan to find a game with the boss but i need to get lucky to find the right player world for the fact i said before that description is not specific enough

Puukko

Arcane
I used the flamethrower and the "crossbow" with the dot mod. Got all ranges covered, as well as aoe and strong single target.

The life stealing scythe was a nice homage but I simply couldn't afford to upgrade it, with all my weapons and the dragon heart requiring the same rare materials.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
ok so, I couldnt put my finger on it, but something about marketing this as "gun-souls" stood out as extremely wrong to me. Then while playing with my friend he said something and it instantly fell in place. He said this reminded him of The Division. And hes right, this game is much more like The Division, with a dose of Diablo style randomization to level layouts and enemy composition. Its not souls like at all, really, other than the obvious checkpoint system and estus flask rip off.

Anyway, I've put in a good few hours now and the game is decent. The first hour or so was totally bland for me, but now it has picked up and the combat can get very intense and requires a lot of maneuvering. I dont give a shit about the story (but bear in mind, this is true about 99.9% of games for me these days, including the ones codexers think have good stories) but I like the art direction. As with usual with these types of games, its always more fun to play with a friend. Get it on sale (or free, if you're not one of these retarded pearl clutching dorks who freaks out about epic games store) and do that.

idk fam when I think of the division I think of bullet sponge enemies and loota shoota item fever progression cancer. might as well compare remnant to any tps at that point. tbqh Remnant had RNG loot instead of fixed drops I wouldn't have simply stopped playing it a long time ago, I would have fist-fucked eleventy-two rusty nails down my urethra before killing myself via anal chainsaw penetration for daring to indulge this autistic skinner box design.

then again i do have 60 hours in warframe and while that isn't exactly a loota shoota it sure is a skinner box so uuuhhhh i gotta go guys this cock and balls aren't gonna torture themselves UwU

edit: also the game's final DLC is out for those interested or whatever

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah, I've played The Division, and what little I've played of this didn't seem very similar.

I used the flamethrower and the "crossbow" with the dot mod. Got all ranges covered, as well as aoe and strong single target.

The life stealing scythe was a nice homage but I simply couldn't afford to upgrade it, with all my weapons and the dragon heart requiring the same rare materials.

What class did you play?

Zlaja

Arcane
:necro:

So, I've been playing this for the last few days and I'm really enjoying it. Even tho I'm pretty tired of souls type games, this one has enough of a unique feel to feel fresh and exciting. The way they mixed shooting with 3rd person action is well executed. I'm really impressed with some of the random elements of how the world spawns on each campaign. You get both some random events and bosses while traversing the different worlds, which then leads to different rewards based on the type of boss/event that spawned for you. The loot itself is not really random, but what loot you get is dependant on what challenge you encounter. This is a really neat way of increasing the replayability of the game and making you extra intrigued on what you will find in the next area you enter.

The game also features a neat adventure mode, which lets you roll a random world (part of the game) you already visited, which allows you to experience a bunch of different events/bosses (hopefully anyway since it's random), and gain new loot with your current character without having to reroll the entire campaign. And you can access this adventure mode from your teleport crystal in your characters main hub within the game. And this doesn't affect your progress in the story campaign. You can just switch back and forth. How cool is that? Also, if you get the dlc, you get the access to another mode called the survival mode, which is basically a totally randomised rogue-like mode, where you start with a fresh character and get a much different experience every time.

Itemization in this game is also really well done, and strikes a nice balance between the thrill of getting new gear, but without throwing shiny shit at you at every turn. You do get more shit with dlc installed tho.

The game has 4 difficulty levels, and I started my fresh character on hard (don't choose any higher difficulty then that if you're starting fresh, it's suicide). Got buttraped left and right early on, this game doesn't mess around and starts out really tough, but I'm doing much better now. Have some patience in the beginning, and you will be rewarded later on.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This game was a very mixed experience in multiplayer with two mates. We found most of it servicable at best, except boss fights which were *immsensely* enjoyable. Very well-designed, all with different mechanical conceits, unexpected turns, different challenges, very hard and very satisfying to master. Almost enough to carry the game by itself.

Last edited:

Artyoan

Arbiter
Started playing this solo. Only a few hours in but very impressed. Stages are a bit lame so far but the actual gameplay is nice and the story is surprisingly effective with the logs on the computers in the Ward getting some mystery going. Comparisons to Dark Souls are a bit much but its not hard to see why when they have a similar bonfire system. Just not much comparison beyond that. Death not being overly punishing is working in its favor, makes the many adds and respawns less of a pain when I need resources anyway. I'm a little surprised this game isnt' talked about more.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just heard about the recently released sequel and never checked out this game before. I can see why I missed it; it looks like "sigh another one of these" but the comments everywhere on how solid it is made me decide to grab a cheap key. Going to try it with an amigo tonight.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really enjoying this with my buddy. Doesn't feel dated at all. Movement controls are a little fucked up but workaroundable. Shooting feels great. Itemization is well done, you're making very deliberate choices between substantially different weapons and trinkets, NOT comparing tiny numbers on 100 different guns that are almost exactly the same. Above all (to me) the setting and atmosphere are really good, with sprawling maps that feel so much like ruined city streets, with plenty of side buildings you can take cover in, climb to different floors, sometimes they might have enemies hiding there, there's just such a great sense of place.

Looked for a thread about the second game but couldn't find it.

I played the first one with a buddy a couple years ago and quite enjoyed it - even played through the expansions.

So I decided to check out the new one that's on Game Pass. The poz in the first 10 minutes is so unbearable I couldn't push through. It's a hilarious combo of all the shitty tropes infesting the entirely of contemporary popular culture, complete with magical black girl who hates wypipo and is just better at everything than everyone else. Yawn.

Doesn't look appreciably better, either. At least it runs well, I guess, but I don't think I'll be playing this one.

Taim

Educated
You're making a mistake. It's a fantastic game and the only real story is in the beginning. Afterwards you can avoid almost everything story related and the girl is basically out of the story.

Unless you're talking about Clementine. She seems like a Mary Sue and she kind of is but if you played the subject 2923 dlc in the first game it makes sense.

Last edited:
You're making a mistake. It's a fantastic game and the only real story is in the beginning. Afterwards you can avoid almost everything story related and the girl is basically out of the story.

Unless you're talking about Clementine. She seems like a Mary Sue and she kind of is but if you played the subject 2923 dlc in the first game it makes sense.
Just came back to eat some crow. You were right.

I persevered and have been playing with same same buddy that played through the first game with me. 2 is much better than 1 especially concerning level design. I just finished Losomn and that was a really good and satisfying level (despite some padding - it was about twice as long as it needed to be).

I'm playing a Challenger and having a lot of fun. Those starting 15 minutes sure left a sour taste, though.

Taim

Educated
Hell yeah. Glad you stuck it out.

Unfortunately Losomn (especially the fae area) is pretty much the best part of the game, but the other areas are still fun.

Keep us posted in the thread if you want to share your experiences! This thread needs more attention.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I tried it out but it seems really boring. Samey enemies and maps, no real loot to find, just run around and shoot weak enemies.

Unfortunately Losomn (especially the fae area) is pretty much the best part of the game, but the other areas are still fun.

Keep us posted in the thread if you want to share your experiences! This thread needs more attention.
I just finished N'Erud and it was kind of a drag. The bosses were cool though, especially the last one and the giant flies/blue parasite worm.

Spent some time in Adventure mode to unlock the Alchemist class (cool event in Losomn). Right now I'm doing Challenger/Medic but I'm thinking of switching to Alch/Challenger once i get max level in Medic.

Btw, the side areas in Losomn are an obvious homage to Bloodborne. They certainly look the part, but unfortunately it was a bit of lost potential - the grenadier boss lady was pretty lame, too. Perfect spot to stick some huge humanoid beast boss. Missed opportunity.

I'm still having fun with the game, but it's definitely too repetitive and overlong on the first playthrough. N'Erud was mostly padding with shitty pacing. Hopefully it picks up a bit closer to the end. I don't think I'll be grinding endgame stuff, but definitely going to try higher difficulties as I feel Challenger is simply way too easy.

Regarding loot - I'm not a fan of games with gratuitous loot showers, but I feel you go on for far too long without any noticeable upgrades in Remnant 2. Sure, sometimes you get a cool new weapon mod from a boss (most are kind of useless), but I'm still using both my starter weapons (upgraded, of course). I just got a cool looking Spectral Blade but it doesn't do as much stagger and I don't have the materials to upgrade it to the level of my old weapon, so I'm just not going to use it. Perhaps they should refund the full value when downgrading a weapon.

Another weak spot is armour - there's practically no armour itemization. I know it's not a loot-focused game (and I'm appreciative of it in many respects), but there's an overflowing variety of rings (I surmise that most of item-based build variety comes from rings) and precious little else - so basically four slots plus weapon mods. Not a lot.

Still, there's a decent amount of character customization due to the dual class system (I also like that it matters which class is your primary), and the gameplay is fun enough depending on the level/enemies. I've already played around 20 hours which is more than I can say for most games these days, so I'll definitely finish it.

Is the DLC worth it?

Taim

Educated

I just finished N'Erud and it was kind of a drag. The bosses were cool though, especially the last one and the giant flies/blue parasite worm.

Spent some time in Adventure mode to unlock the Alchemist class (cool event in Losomn). Right now I'm doing Challenger/Medic but I'm thinking of switching to Alch/Challenger once i get max level in Medic.

Btw, the side areas in Losomn are an obvious homage to Bloodborne. They certainly look the part, but unfortunately it was a bit of lost potential - the grenadier boss lady was pretty lame, too. Perfect spot to stick some huge humanoid beast boss. Missed opportunity.

I'm still having fun with the game, but it's definitely too repetitive and overlong on the first playthrough. N'Erud was mostly padding with shitty pacing. Hopefully it picks up a bit closer to the end. I don't think I'll be grinding endgame stuff, but definitely going to try higher difficulties as I feel Challenger is simply way too easy.

Regarding loot - I'm not a fan of games with gratuitous loot showers, but I feel you go on for far too long without any noticeable upgrades in Remnant 2. Sure, sometimes you get a cool new weapon mod from a boss (most are kind of useless), but I'm still using both my starter weapons (upgraded, of course). I just got a cool looking Spectral Blade but it doesn't do as much stagger and I don't have the materials to upgrade it to the level of my old weapon, so I'm just not going to use it. Perhaps they should refund the full value when downgrading a weapon.

Another weak spot is armour - there's practically no armour itemization. I know it's not a loot-focused game (and I'm appreciative of it in many respects), but there's an overflowing variety of rings (I surmise that most of item-based build variety comes from rings) and precious little else - so basically four slots plus weapon mods. Not a lot.

Still, there's a decent amount of character customization due to the dual class system (I also like that it matters which class is your primary), and the gameplay is fun enough depending on the level/enemies. I've already played around 20 hours which is more than I can say for most games these days, so I'll definitely finish it.

Is the DLC worth it?

I actually went BACK and played Remnant 1 after enjoying Remnant 2 (but was being told it makes 1 obsolete) - so I played through the first after about 15 hours of 2.

Anyway while I agree they refined stuff a good deal in 2 - there are some things from 1 I miss - mostly in regards to the loot stuff you mentioned.

Armor matters and there's a fair amount of progression throughout the first game if you want (although Drifter armor is pretty top tier and you get that early).

And yeah, I didn't notice a ton of updates to my guns (although you can get a really good gun from one of the Losomn bosses). I used a shitload of guns in 1. I hear this changes but on replays or something. There's still a ton of guns in two but I never actually encountered many of them I guess?

I need to go back to the 2nd game, I played like 70 hours of Remnant 1. Loved the first 40 hours, enjoyed the next 20, and then got burned out on the second DLC for it. Still - holding my attention for 70 hours these days is nothing short of legendary.

As such, I can't speak to the DLC for Remnant 2 - although it expands upon the Fae area of Losomn which is the best content in the original game - so I'm optimistic.

Just finished the campaign - the last boss took us a lot of tries. It was very fun for me figuring out all the patterns. My co-op partner started crying after 2 deaths, saying stupid shit like 'wah gear check' but I mocked him into silence eventually, we got gud and defeated the thing. Funnily enough, we ended up wiping much more on the first phase, which is very easy in retrospect. In our final try I don't think I took any damage at all during the first phase.

The ending was pathetic, laughably bad really. I'm not tempted to start another game or even play adventure mode on a higher difficulty.

High point of the game was Losomn by far, followed by the last boss. Don't think I'll be playing the DLC, either. It has some good ideas, but there's not enough variation, non-hp bloat difficulty or otherwise cool level design to last the entire 20 hours or so it took us to beat the campaign. And I have zero interest in farming for better weapons just to see higher numbers go up. I used my starting Challenger primary weapon the whole game. Most weapon mods are pretty lame, too. All in all, the game could have been great with some more variation, cool weapons and mods that change how you play, and better levels in the vein of Losomn. As it is, it's simply okay.

I also think it kind of looks terrible. I hate Unreal Engine with a passion.

Harthwain

Magister
It has some good ideas, but there's not enough variation, non-hp bloat difficulty or otherwise cool level design to last the entire 20 hours or so it took us to beat the campaign. And I have zero interest in farming for better weapons just to see higher numbers go up. I used my starting Challenger primary weapon the whole game. Most weapon mods are pretty lame, too. All in all, the game could have been great with some more variation, cool weapons and mods that change how you play, and better levels in the vein of Losomn. As it is, it's simply okay.
Interestingly enough I have a completely opposite experience.

What really makes this game so good for me is that different weapons, classes, mods, etc. allow for making different builds. I will try to illustrate this with two examples from my current run:

1) At first I started as Challenger. I got N'Erud. It was terrible. I switched to LMG and Repeater pistol. It way waaaaay better after that. At some point I unlocked Medic as my dual class.

I ended up using Cube Gun, because it is excellent CQC handgun, does not use ammo and works well with Hallowed Egg. It took a few clips to boost my melee damage by 50%, then use my Juggernaut (Bulwark, faster melee attacks, etc.), charge up the Atom Smasher (+10% melee attack speed) and just keep smashing enemies, because I was getting shield with each hit (Shielded Strike Mutator) as well as spent stamina (Rerouting Cable).

I was using Wellspring for heals (first skill of a Medic) and Shielded Heart Relic when I needed to soak up extra damage in-between heal from Wellspring (it gives shield based on max health. And I really maxed out my health).

2) Now I am switching things up. Because I got Merciless.

The best thing about it? When enemies bleed (regardless of the source), they recharge your mod. Merciless' mod hits like Gunslinger's Quick Draw skill, and you have three charges of it. Merciless itself can put bleed on enemies if you fire at the long enough. I am using Assassin's Dagger, which causes bleed on charged attacks (and gets +25% damage against bleeding targets). The result is that I can recharge the mod's stacks really fast. And that's not the end of it.

I put on Encrypted Ring (using a mod regenerates 20% of my max health) and Ring of Grace (taking damage causes 15% of maximum health to regenerate). I also got Shard Banded Ring (+12% mod damage). Throw in Reprocessed Heart. It converts health to grey health in exchange for mod power. Which means I can use my mod even more and regenerate as a result. With Medic as a primary class I get Relic charges back if I heal enough so it is basically a perfect loop (I use Healing Shield and Rampage from Challenger as a secondary, because it means I can fire faster, reload faster and deal even more damage with ranged guns.

And the build isn't even complete. I still want to upgrade my Vampire Blade Mutator so I can lifesteal when attacking bleeding enemies (at level 10). I want to upgrade Refunder Mutator so using my unlimited and super-fast-firing Cube Gun gives back ammo to my Merciless Long Gun. And I want either Harmonizer on Merciless (to charge up Cube Gun's mod) or upgraded Spirit Healer (regenerates 5% health for mod power spent. At level 8 it will be enough to activate each time Merciless' mod get activated, and I can do it up to three times with this weapon).

At some point I might even swap secondary Challenger into secondary Gunslinger (to level it up and to check it out, because my second build feels more gun-like than melee-like.

Trying to come up with such different builds is a good incentive to hunt for different gear (and main source of fun in this game). The fact that the worlds (and rewards) are slightly randomized is another encouragement to replay the game. If you do not enjoy looking for secrets, you can simply look them up on the wiki in order to decide which ones you want and come up with something. The two builds I mentioned above are just something I came up with whatever I got after playing the game to this point.

And I know I am going to play the game at least a second time, with Explorer class as my primary. The only question is what build I will try then (based on what I get when I finish my first campaign).

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Goddamn the intro is so mega cringe like wtf, holy shit.

People wrote this? Makes the first game seem like a literary masterpiece.

Harthwain

Magister
Goddamn the intro is so mega cringe like wtf, holy shit.

People wrote this? Makes the first game seem like a literary masterpiece.
The story is whatever, anything goes. What I like is how the worlds themselves are presented and the voice actors - these are genuinely the best voice actors I've heard in YEARS (except Nimue. Her voice is horrible. She was literally the ONLY NPC whose dialogue lines I was skipping, and there was a bunch of characters who had a lot to say in the game).

I beat the final boss on Veteran.

In the end I used Corrupted Merciless (because I was too stupid to check the rate of fire and what that means for the weapon), but it ended playing to my advantage as the last boss' weak spot is HUGE, so I was able to deal a lot of damage consistently enough (although not so much as to make full use of weapons' mod). Especially when combined with Challenger's Rampage ability (faster rate of fire, reload and infinite ammo when in a Beserk mode).

I used Medic as my primary class, so I could keep pumping Resonating Heart Relic over and over again, while also having Healing Shield as my backup. This combined with Rampage allowed me to pack a ton of damage without having to move during the second boss stage. Am I making it sound like beating the boss was easy? Hell, no. I was at it for 3 hours. Maybe more.

First I had to learn how to dodge during the first stage. Mistakes could easily be fatal at this point. Doubly so when the boss was glitching in and out between phases. And figuring out how to beat the second phase was even more nightmarish as it was hell trying to dodge the tentacles, the moving wall and dealing with the lethal orb attacks (I had to create a secondary weapon just to be able to bring down these...).

Oh, and did I also mention I ended up showing up to the fight with underleveled weapons, because I was trying out so many weapons for various builds, instead of focusing on a single set of Long Gun, Melee and Handgun? And that melee build is literally useless against the final boss? Really, who in his right mind thought it was a good idea when the whole game allows some approach for melee characters to enemies (bosses included). As much as I loved the game, I really hate the endgame boss.

Now I am doing another campaign on Nightmare and it feels like I am a new player on Veteran. But I kind of like the challenge. I am running as Explorator with Challenger as my secondary at the moment as I want to level up all Archetypes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom