Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

Codex Year of the Donut
people referring to it as a threesome adds weight to my theory

most straight people probably didn't even bring Zevran with them, newer game would have Zevran just standing around in the bar if you were being a bigot who didn't bring him along

BruceVC

Magister
big between more modern games and their earlier counterparts is how easy it was to avoid a lot more of the weird shit if you didn't actively seek it out
much more in your face now

wonder if people would complain as much if it wasn't always pushed to front and center

I assume you referring to Romance in Bioware games? But thats the thing, its not in your face and it is completely optional. I love Romance arcs with party members I think are hot and interesting like Isabela , Morrigan and Viconia from BG2

And its easy to avoid Romance if you want, I remember in one of the DA games their was a gay wizard and I simply shut down his advancements on me the first time he flirted and I dont think I ever heard from him around Romance again but he was valuable and effective addition to my party so I kept him on as one of my party but the Romance was no issue at all?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He probably means the threesome/foursomes and gay content. It's actually quite a big topic in the discourse that you have to actively seek out gay content in the vast, vaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority of games, otherwise you'll never know it's there.

Camel

Scholar
big between more modern games and their earlier counterparts is how easy it was to avoid a lot more of the weird shit if you didn't actively seek it out
much more in your face now

wonder if people would complain as much if it wasn't always pushed to front and center

I assume you referring to Romance in Bioware games? But thats the thing, its not in your face and it is completely optional. I love Romance arcs with party members I think are hot and interesting like Isabela , Morrigan and Viconia from BG2

And its easy to avoid Romance if you want, I remember in one of the DA games their was a gay wizard and I simply shut down his advancements on me the first time he flirted and I dont think I ever heard from him around Romance again but he was valuable and effective addition to my party so I kept him on as one of my party but the Romance was no issue at all?
Viconia is popular even now among RPG fans and Morrigan is a well-written character with a great voice actress.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
Awakening is to Origins what Heart of Stone is to Witcher 3.
It's also automatically better, since it doesn't have romances.
Awakening is also the last expansion for BioWare, they only produced DLCs after DA:O. Another sign of decline and I miss old games with proper great expansions.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished my second playthrough and mods definitely made the experience much more bearable. I also accidentally created the most chad Chad to ever chad for a Warden.
IziHxvv.png

Fo8DLj5.png

He slew a lot of pussy in this playthrough: elven maid, Leliana, Morrigan, Isabela, the demon...

I'm finding your character confusing; like his face's shape got marked masculine feature like the chin, but some other parts, like the eyes and lack of facial hair look feminine. It's not helped by the lighting on the second picture that gives it a very smooth look. Could be an artefact of the engine or character creator. Weird.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I'm finding your character confusing; like his face's shape got marked masculine feature like the chin, but some other parts, like the eyes and lack of facial hair look feminine. It's not helped by the lighting on the second picture that gives it a very smooth look. Could be an artefact of the engine or character creator. Weird.
Texture pack made eyelashes look very thick, which is the effect whamen go for with make-up. I tried to make a normal-looking character, but the creator is so fucking dark and he came out like that. Still, he got a lot of action so I did something right.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Texture pack made eyelashes look very thick, which is the effect whamen go for with make-up. I tried to make a normal-looking character, but the creator is so fucking dark and he came out like that. Still, he got a lot of action so I did something right.

I had missed that, but that's a good explanation for why I felt this, thanks

BruceVC

Magister

This debate about Romance in RPG has been going on for years and I have often participated in them on different forums around why I support optional Romance

Firstly I dont consider Romance to be as important as most RPG mechanics that must be elegantly designed and work like quests, dungeon design, classes, monsters, class advancement and then normal party and companion interaction and companion side quests. So I dont want to play any game that has Romance as the main component at the expense of other RPG components, I will just watch adult movies if I want that type of stimulation

But Romance arcs for me is about realism and immersion and I would expect Romance in any epic adventure. For example you take your standard RPG quest, like DA:O, imagine you were facing a dire threat that could destroy the entire world or throw mankind into eternal darkness. And this threat involved spending many nights around the campfire with beautiful and seductive companions,like Viconia and Isabela, who support you and are hot....why wouldnt you have a physical relationship with them considering each day could be your last?

Human beings are known to have sex in many environments where death is around the corner. I had a teacher in early 1990's who didnt know his father because he was born in the UK during the Blitz in WW2 and his mom basically had sex in the dark when the Nazis were bombing London and UK citizens use to seek refuge in underground train stations where their was no light ....so his mom fell pregnant without knowing who the father was. Real fear of death led to this temporary romantic interaction

So going back to RPG, Romance just makes sense on most RPG journeys and for me they are realistic and expected in the interests of an immersive experience :salute:

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Isabella just looks like an incel's fantasy. I wonder if Californiacucks are so starved for love that they desire slutty girls that hit every sexual orientation.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Isabella just looks like an incel's fantasy. I wonder if Californiacucks are so starved for love that they desire slutty girls that hit every sexual orientation.
I guess you're one of those who'd prefer every woman to look like a transvestite.

BruceVC

Magister
How do you know me so well? Isabella is exactly what I like but I dont consider her attire to be slutty at all. She is confidant and liberated....not the same thing as slutty

Theldaran

Liturgist
No thanks, I don't want STD.

The actual cuck thing is to have a gf like this. It's dubious enough to have foursomes with her, but what about foursomes you don't get invited to?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom