Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on various new and old games (indie, classics, abandonware)

Binky

Cipher
Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive (2001)

YJSlL2k.jpg

It must be mounted on a tripod!
Cmdr. Mohr, The Wild Bunch (1969)

Lead a team of bounty hunters in pursuit of the villainous gang leader El Diablo.

My original plan was to replay Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood. I would steal the Coronation spoon, recruit the Merry Men, amass cash, knock everybody out with Little John, and run around with Friar Tuck's fat ass. Alas, I've been on a Western binge, so I went and replayed Desperados instead. Long story short, I've Wild Bunched my way through the game. Still fun, still has awfully pretty locations. It has a cast worthy of the United Nations: Asian girl, black dude, Latino gang leader, cranky mature gentleman, busty temptress, and Cooper (the strong, not-so-silent type). Since I was going the kill 'em all route I mostly just used Coopah and Sanchez. Coopah has that sweet knife to chuck around. Sanchez has rocks to knock out foes, can empty out buildings by throwing out evildoers, a shotgun that can blow away several dudes at once (including your guys if you're not careful), and can strut around with a goddamn gatling gun. Yessir. Cleared the entire cave entrance mission all by himself in a few minutes.

The mission where you play El Diablo's gang and the US cavalry against each other is a favorite of mine, don't remember if there was anything like it in the rest of the Commandos-type games. Should be more than one mission that forced you to go the non-lethal route, though. Then again, your opponents are mostly criminal scumbags, so it makes sense to blast them away. Whereas Robin Hood is forced to kill only a few dudes during that game, and could punch out and tie up the rest. The Merry Men approve.

OST
Cutscenes

Caramba
KiiFaHX.jpg

Je81Rfv.jpg

Q656Yoc.jpg

Ek8I1Yi.jpg

8GGKRxg.jpg

Zm2DjEP.jpg

eQVqctf.jpg

TgAIQE0.jpg

zQpbQDL.jpg

oMTVc0r.jpg

itEIOnr.jpg
Una bonita muchacha
hNSluuk.jpg

IakHCpn.jpg

1xm866d.jpg

wYMGOxX.jpg

HvO38ua.jpg

K0jvrbS.jpg

mgiP2tR.jpg

mZ9NrpQ.jpg

Yp028KG.jpg

LWpdZ1C.jpg

A magnificent weasel.
Gringos
bznOAuO.jpg

Sanchez going full General Mapache.
5inYsII.jpg

xUGpd3F.jpg

j8UVyK9.jpg

NSGB2yH.jpg

pTLwAmq.jpg

20KWiqO.jpg

Two knockouts for the price of one rock.
QsP3eRi.jpg

EYFNLbJ.jpg

AyBVTSM.jpg

uZDBIPs.jpg
El Pollo Diablo
4S9PLsF.jpg

luEh0CH.jpg

SfrxfYE.jpg

l8PtZeP.jpg

iB5L1V1.jpg

CGNOlX1.jpg

OqZ2u1s.jpg

p52s8Ol.jpg

Das ist falsch!
JdOit61.jpg

4dnoKCG.jpg

FnahtZd.jpg

Also, the bad guys being smitten by Kate's assets, getting close, and then punching her out never gets old. And they say romance is dead.

Last edited:

zool

Arcane
Ah Desperados, one of the prettiest games ever made.

The mission where you play El Diablo's gang and the US cavalry against each other is a favorite of mine, don't remember if there was anything like it in the rest of the Commandos-type games.

If memory serves right, there was one such mission in Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun. And I think there was one in Desperados 3 too but now I'm having doubt.

Should be more than one mission that forced you to go the non-lethal route, though.

True. Last time I replayed the game, I only allowed myself to use lethal means against bandits and the like. So, in addition to the Marshall hacienda, I also played missions such as Southern Comfort (where you recruit Sam), Hang'm High (where you rescue Doc from being hanged), High Stakes (where you recruit Kate in New Orleans), Escape from El Paso and The Walls of Fortezza (where you rescue Sanchez from his prison) non-lethal, since the enemies you face are either men from the sheriff/marshall or members of the US cavalry.

I remember the Walls of Fortezza being particularly hard this way and I almost gave up before finding the solution.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Did you have to jump through many hoops to get Desperados running on a modern computer? I'm on win10 and it's laggy as fuck. I figure it must be something related to DirectX, since compatibility modes did nothing, but I hope I don't have to spend more time configuring shit than actually playing.

zool

Arcane
THQ Nordic released a patch in 2018 to make it work on modern OS. The patch only works for the GoG and Steam versions through, not on the old CD version.

I tried it on my GoG version and it did run flawlessly on Windows 10.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/desperados-wanted-dead-or-alive-windows-10-crash-fixed

Desperados: Wanted Dead Or Alive updated after 17 years to work on modern Windows

News by Alice O'Connor News Editor
Published on 10 Jul, 2018

Hot diggity dawg! After years crawling the digital desert lower than a lizard, real-time tactical stealth murderer Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive now plays nicely on modern systems. Publishers THQ Nordic last week released an update making the 2001 game support modern Windows along with Mac and Linux, to fix the problem of it crashing like a horse full of rotgut. Desperados is a tip-top tactics 'em up about a rootin' tootin' squad of mercenaries combining their powers of distraction, evasion, exsanguination, and explosion on missions in the Wild West, similar to the Commandos games, and well worth a look - especially as it's on sale now too.

The update launched last week for the Steam and GOG versions of Desperados, bringing support for Windows 7, 8, and 10, plus Mac and Linux. For years, playing this game on modern systems involved downloading rando files off the Internet, installing a tool, and poking around with all sorts of settings.

The update also rolled a mission from the demo into the game, closing a loop on those days when demos would often contain unique slices. Language selection options are in too. Decent update for a 17-year-old game, that. And it's still a decent game.

Resident simulated man Tim Stone has praised it and our former Adam even once declared it one of the best stealth games. Adam (RPS in peace) explained in 2015:

"Desperados is the pinnacle of the stealth-strategy genre represented elsewhere in this list by Commandos 2. Across beautifully drawn levels, the heroes of the piece move through a hit parade of Western locations and scenarios, sneaking by, shooting and subduing the outlaws who stand between them and their bounty.

"The various player characters have a diverse skillset and several abilities can operate in combination to unleash new tactics. Explosives expert Sam Williams can plant a barrel of TNT as distraction or weapon, for example, and then gambler Kate O'Hara can use a mirror to direct just enough rays in its direction to light the fuse. Daft? Yes. Enjoyable? Absolutely."

If you still have an old copy on CD (and an optical drive to put it in?) you're probably out of luck for this patch. But THQ Nordic--who didn't even publish the original release--do have Desperados on sale for another week yet, down to £0.89/€0.99/$0.99 on Steam.

THQ Nordic have been good stewards for many of the games and brands they've nabbed the rights to, also updating games including Titan Quest, Darksiders, Sine Mora, and Red Faction Guerrilla in recent years.

Oh, if you dig this sort of real-time tactical squadmurder, you might well dig 2016's Shadow Tactics: Blades Of The Shogun. It's doing Desperados/Commandos sort of things in Edo period Japan, and Tim Stone's review will tell you it's a good'un.

Binky

Cipher
Daughter of Serpents (1992)

v9SK4Dp.png

Who would want to ram a ship into this cute little fella?

In Alexandria in the 1920s an ancient cult seeks to bring back the Old Ones. The promise of Lovecraft goodness drew me to this game. Starts out great. You create your character, choose gender, age, nationality, etc. Pick one of six professions: traveler, Egyptologist, mystic, occultist, sleuth, and private eye. Each of these professions have four or five skills you can pick and increase. You can choose to be an Egyptologist who also dabbles in the occult, speaks Arabic, and has some knowledge of forensic pathology. I was practically salivating at this point. The actual effect in the game? Negligible. Some dialogue. "Why yes, I do know who Ramses II was." Occasionally, a skill was useful. The seal of Solomon allowed me to bark orders to a djinn and bypass one of the few puzzles in the game. There are three paths through the game, depending on which profession you pick: sleuth/PI, traveler/Egyptologist, occultist/mystic. Of these, the last is the most interesting one and the first the most boring. The two possible companions are a Greek woman or a British cop. It's very short. Even without Lovecraft the setting alone is great and it has some nonlinear gameplay in the beginning. Then it all fizzles out. What a waste. As short, easy, and almost without puzzles as the game is, I was surprised that you could actually die in it.

I also tried the 1995 remake named Scroll. It's even shorter, has voice acting, has some new scenes & is missing some of the ones from the 1992 version. Instead of creating your character you can only pick two already made ones: an Egyptologist or an occultist. Why this remake was a good idea I'll never know.

Welcome to Alexandria
TiSpLWC.png

Ib8alQ8.png

W4QIGuW.png

G76IMR9.png

SVyIvLS.png

cFq5X7c.png

rTtQ9CE.png

dOtfrXC.png

qd1SsaV.png

AtkVVeb.png
Necromancy
V4LF7Zg.png

4Wkzii4.png

zRbSrzr.png

kHvJrvp.png

mr6MFUS.png

zwhlmeq.png

vreQ52b.png

RReAjLm.png

cQfwgnk.png

v3Zja0v.png
Nyarlathotep cometh
YI24Ifk.png

XbCiWR5.png

GdTL06U.png

kos8IIa.png

n59sbeK.png

TJ9y85D.png

XOgYqZy.png

0qtsbUF.png
Miss Egypt
k9GIXc4.png

7Gk0I6T.png

Stargate Spirit door.
bwMrUeO.png

XJjUXif.png

HEIQdVa.png

gzrd3ix.png

oHJqcH3.png

Curiosity killed the Arab.
OVx1sMp.png

7QndpNR.png

uusLZmR.png

The Daughter of Serpents™ herself.
iMszYGy.png

Guess Shadow of the Comet is still king of the Lovecraft games.
GGGDbWc.png

Yes, that is so, fat man.

Last edited:

zool

Arcane
Nice, I had never heard of this one. I assume this is abandonware but does it work easily on modern OS? I see it's not on GOG.

Jigby

Augur
Did you have to jump through many hoops to get Desperados running on a modern computer? I'm on win10 and it's laggy as fuck. I figure it must be something related to DirectX, since compatibility modes did nothing, but I hope I don't have to spend more time configuring shit than actually playing.
The game runs at ~25fps (eh, can't remember the exact number) so it is laggy even in vanilla. If you're having more severe lags related to directdraw, you can always use some ddraw wrapper like https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/releases and copy ddraw.dll dxwrapper.dll and dxwrapper.ini to the folder with the executable and set d7tod9 to 1 in the ini file. Or alternatively, https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Desperados:_Wanted_Dead_or_Alive suggests using DgVoodoo2.

On top of it, there's the newer "HD remaster" which has mods that raise fps -> https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=58387

Mind you, the game logic is tied to the fps, so you get smoother scrolling but everybody moves faster.

Binky

Cipher
Sacrifice (2000)

Yk4l3Of.png

Five gods, voiced by Tim Curry, Tony Jay & friends, all with different spells and creatures. And then there's you, a newly arrived wizard in search of a patron. You can stick with one god and get their spells and beasties. Or you can mix and match and end up with a wide variety of spells and beasts. Hell, sometimes you can backstab a god and switch sides during the mission. It's not a hard game, but it is addictive. Only wanted to play a single campaign to refresh my memory. No dice, had to beat it with every god. The easiest campaign is if you stick with James. His beasts are tough, he's got nice spells (including a falling cow that obliterates any creature), and the Boulderdash just obliterates everything in large numbers.

Then there's magic. The belly dancing manahoars fill you with mana and eventually you can rain fire, summon tornados, volcanoes, heal with rainbows, channel lightning, summon death itself, and cause all sorts of damage. Prolly most fun is when you're attacked by two or three wizards at once, all with a large amount of beasts. And then you wreck them all and harvest the souls of the fallen. Aw yeah. Three of the gods domains are too dark for my taste. I prefer the bright Glebe and Empyrea.

Shame there wasn't a sequel or anything like it. I'd love to see their voice acting bill.

Flam, kenketsu, domine
zlYS06c.png

Rw31r2C.png

wE8pZEV.png

kSszUmZ.png

Harvest time!
uPlhDv3.png

qsg1b0j.png

bLhdjLk.png

OWr3LlD.png

hOPAo1U.png

M75nUoZ.png
Vermithrax, barada, pejorative
IWmFhYe.png

cxghfHX.png

LltyUpD.png

cSYZ1OB.png

xDZyJra.png

I5X52bD.png

6kU6nlx.png

y7EwcNA.png

gRFIgcj.png

xu5iijr.png

uTfVaL9.png
Klatau, nikto, animus
n2vT5rK.png

Stp1ogP.png

Sws11XI.png

VRoQ83W.png

UkTw9f5.png

UTpd5Qg.png

0mF55oJ.png

s6t3bvT.png

DE0ERur.png

AccL81u.png

nWbWsWU.png

Got milk?
rh5lnwC.png
Carpe, elorum, nathrak
I7MRFWv.png

qNomZAz.png

ayJQL1n.png

g1aG8sh.png

uhkdQFg.png

FPMKbTB.png

ll4YDH2.png

T3waw6b.png

7DZJLaj.png

OCV4Qze.png

RUqdXaN.png

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
High quality thread, great game selection!

You touched upon so many of my favorites and also showed some gems unknown to me, proving yet again that old games have so much more to offer....!

A thousand brofists to you good sir!

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Operation Stealth (1990)

I quite liked Future Wars by Delphine and this one had secret agents and the promise of gadgets to play with. A top notch stealth plane has been nabbed, so secret agent John Glames gets called to the CIA hq in Washington to recover it because the US prime minister is worried.

CIA hq in Washington... US prime minister...

Anyway. Pixel hunts abound and you can screw yourself many, many times. Forgot to give the bank teller your cash twice? You'll be stuck. Gave coins to the florist twice? You'll be stuck. And my personal favorite: forgot to pick up the tiny rubber band? You'll get killed at the very end of the game. Ohohoho, you bastards! This wouldn't be a problem if a lot of the game didn't consist of action minigames - including one segment where you must navigate dark rat-filled mazes four times. Gadgets were my favorite part of the game. Alas, you only get to use them a few times. They should have been the focus of the game instead of minigames. Was released as James Bond 007: The Stealth Affair in the US, but I don't think there's any difference between the two apart from the main character bellowing JAMES BOND instead of JOHN GLAMES all the time.

Glames. John Glames.
APLALlT.png

Briefing gone wrong
e8peODk.png

nEGszmw.png

qnelFsx.png

d1u2A8p.png

zxshULv.png

ojWAHOK.png

czUN79W.png

fH2iM5g.png

bRi2m2G.png
Shaken, not stirred
QymumQF.png

DBQZIbb.png

VLmnvSr.png

OPSEUpJ.png

dhDGOJM.png

DsCZApV.png

fGGq8Jv.png

egMfHgg.png

2zYwrO9.png

DHSswPb.png

bMuLPWy.png
No, Mr. Glames, I expect you to escape unharmed
WEY1I5k.png

TYIQav9.png

qjKLdXI.png

uhF4DFW.png

1Wadu6P.png

GHQvkQS.png

TscAXFe.png

CzSOjsg.png

m1r5NiP.png

Y2ngTlr.png

YN8bNur.png
The spy who gave me syphilis
OubuBig.png

Naturally
aGUNiO8.png

SKVvtUk.png

q6I4aOA.png

Xe7ps78.png

hn9DRVg.png

0OryjdF.png

C6G1YEH.png

uy6HjuS.png

Kniark?
pzKYqFj.png

enw5ldU.png

n49i6zG.png

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Law of the West (1985)
c0r8M4E.png

A Clint Eastwood simulator.

You can be a hero and prevent robberies. A tough guy who intimidates folks into surrendering or getting outta town (or forces a cheating gambler to give a quarter of his winnings to the local orphanage). You can insult and blow away every person you meet. Or you can skip the insults and just blow them away.

Game has romances:
  • Invite the local school marm to a hoedown or a picnic. How quaint.
  • Try to shack up with the cattle rustlin' Belle.
  • Maybe the buxom Rose is more to your liking.
  • Or you could try your luck with all of them.
Pick the right lines and people will tell you when and where the robberies are going down. Then you go there and shoot the varmint!

Love is in the air
p30ZMfw.png

zqV9pm8.png

ozptYCa.png

MGyynhZ.png

lSnVQIM.png
Smooth operator
Q7Dzsvm.png

Gx5Jl7B.png

vT5EysL.png

dyRaAaJ.png
The quick and the confused
b25uve7.png

bPvdndx.png

QngLQYG.png

bcJfyfW.png

UKnu5O3.png
Law and order
1ITkUGu.png

PtU7x19.png

SezEWan.png

UynaItD.png

W5i7Sih.png

tVL29ZM.png

qezispf.png

RMAHw5F.png
Hey! Aren't you a little trigger happy?
03Bs6vr.png

9xKRxlO.png

7oClvta.png

y4VTENF.png

wT7haO3.png

tX9QDe8.png

zd51vz6.png

G42fcpd.png

KCav9uW.png

uGCKeSz.png

And watch out for those fake surrenders!
"The doctor is not in town."

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Operation Stealth (1990)

I quite liked Future Wars by Delphine and this one had secret agents and the promise of gadgets to play with. A top notch stealth plane has been nabbed, so secret agent John Glames gets called to the CIA hq in Washington to recover it because the US prime minister is worried.

CIA hq in Washington... US prime minister...

Anyway. Pixel hunts abound and you can screw yourself many, many times. Forgot to give the bank teller your cash twice? You'll be stuck. Gave coins to the florist twice? You'll be stuck. And my personal favorite: forgot to pick up the tiny rubber band? You'll get killed at the very end of the game. Ohohoho, you bastards! This wouldn't be a problem if a lot of the game didn't consist of action minigames - including one segment where you must navigate dark rat-filled mazes four times. Gadgets were my favorite part of the game. Alas, you only get to use them a few times. They should have been the focus of the game instead of minigames. Was released as James Bond 007: The Stealth Affair in the US, but I don't think there's any difference between the two apart from the main character bellowing JAMES BOND instead of JOHN GLAMES all the time.

Glames. John Glames.
APLALlT.png

Briefing gone wrong
e8peODk.png

nEGszmw.png

qnelFsx.png

d1u2A8p.png

zxshULv.png

ojWAHOK.png

czUN79W.png

fH2iM5g.png

bRi2m2G.png
Shaken, not stirred
QymumQF.png

DBQZIbb.png

VLmnvSr.png

OPSEUpJ.png

dhDGOJM.png

DsCZApV.png

fGGq8Jv.png

egMfHgg.png

2zYwrO9.png

DHSswPb.png

bMuLPWy.png
No, Mr. Glames, I expect you to escape unharmed
WEY1I5k.png

TYIQav9.png

qjKLdXI.png

uhF4DFW.png

1Wadu6P.png

GHQvkQS.png

TscAXFe.png

CzSOjsg.png

m1r5NiP.png

Y2ngTlr.png

YN8bNur.png
The spy who gave me syphilis
OubuBig.png

Naturally
aGUNiO8.png

SKVvtUk.png

q6I4aOA.png

Xe7ps78.png

hn9DRVg.png

0OryjdF.png

C6G1YEH.png

uy6HjuS.png

Kniark?
pzKYqFj.png

enw5ldU.png

n49i6zG.png

I remember getting pretty pissed off in the sewers with the rats when I played it in the 90s, and quit there, beside those labyrinths, I remember Operation Stealth being pretty fun point'n'click adventure game.

Binky

Cipher
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (1999)

hTBfjgN.png

Fight bloodsuckers with a soulsucker. Travel the realm of Nosgoth and dispatch vampires with Raziel on his quest to kill his brothers and destroy Kain. Vampires can be killed either by giving them a bath, setting them on fire, or impaling them. Impaling them by throwing a spike is the most satisfying option, in my humble opinion. Thankfully, vampire lairs are full things hazardous to vamps - from olympic-sized swimming pools, bonfires, campfires, torches, and braziers, to all sorts of spiky things. I mean, who doesn't have spike pits, pools of acid, landmines, and whatnot in his home? I know I do.

After Raziel kills an Abel, he gets a new ability like learning to climb or swim. Kinda like a baby learning to walk, speak, and not crap itself. Speaking of Raziel, I much preferred the vampires of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Vorador was a cruel and decadent monster, and Kain was a sneering, sadistic prick. Whereas Raziel is whiny and self-righteous.

The spectral and material worlds are nice, but would be better if you could kick someone's ass first in the material one and then again in the spirit one. Missed opportunity. They really went overboard with the block puzzles, should be able to kill the last brother Turel as well, and the cliffhanger ending sucks. Then again, it keeps the fate, destiny, time travel, and coin-tossing horse crap of the sequels to a merciful minimum. Apart from making vampire kebabs, finding the glyphs is a fun part of the game - you have to explore all sorts of completely optional areas like the human citadel (humans with flamethrowers!) and Nupraptor's retreat. The glyphs themselves are kinda useless, since the vamps rarely attack you in groups.

Intro
OST

Toasting marshmellows
bCFJU9y.png

One of my favorite menu screens.
YjCdfV1.png

25QDm9H.png

mBmNlHw.png

CsfvfUc.png

q6mZlYY.png

wgh1L56.png

xW1nmTN.png

rJMV16t.png

wyWMHr8.png

2GG7myH.png

2xImxXl.png
Vlad the Impaler
tqLAF2V.png

RpHBz19.png

MnP7Pwf.png

pNPSepa.png

gPy36Bs.png

7V4Mkl2.png

MxBs0FD.png

IkGeOjN.png

njB2iVr.png
Souls taste like chicken
f05EOeK.png

JFrSYBO.png

iS4s0qP.png

MuzjASW.png

WyWiqk5.png

YDmAjVr.png

QW7PCCe.png

1v5gL2g.png

Oic4ZaY.png

y6eIgQJ.png
Turel MIA
j29vJZl.png

QNsusY4.png

iaTWVTz.png

ETZnajy.png

ap0YrWt.png

8ZUqNcf.png

g6oyLOh.png

5W4RTiK.png

iJaZJg1.png

dLuhpLa.png

7ce2T7a.png

Riskbreaker

TACTICAL BLOCK-PUSHING ACTION
(Tho, with this handle, I'm the one to complain am I.)

Anyway, I do so love the feel of Soul Reaver's gameworld. The barrenness, the emptiness works and fits for once. Landscapes and ruinous architecture straight outta something like Arzach. None of the sequels come close there, they lost it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I remember this game being featured in the same guide magazine we'd bought for Rayman 2 and Tomb Raider 4. They were saying it was a blast, but by all accounts it seems it did not age so well. Thanks for the memories anyway.

Binky

Cipher
Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy (1998)

A cyberpunk adventure made by Italians (huh?). Special thanks to Zool for the recommendation. As an favor to an old friend, PI Joshua Reeve, who reminds me of Bloodlines' Strauss, investigates a series of terrorist attacks on a corporation. But all is not as it seems and greed, experimental VR technology, corporate lack of ethics, betrayal, and manipulation are part of the show.

Visit metro underground, explore strange zoos/museums, electrocute children & zap robot dinosaurs, enter cyberspace and tour horror-medieval amusement parks and shoot werewolves, sneak into terrorist warehouses and electrocute guards, and break into high security prisons. Oh yeah… and use a dead rat on a roller skate to get very fine wine. I'm not kidding. There are some pixel hunts, but you can't die or get stuck, so it doesn't really matter.

Kinda weird. Reminded me more of Broken Sword than Blade Runner or Dreamweb, really.

Hello, neonate
juobvw4.jpg

TwJTMF9.jpg

U6rnHwO.jpg

r3vMKHB.jpg

J7kzknw.jpg

k2J41Jw.jpg

KUl5kiY.jpg

MbT3yDC.jpg

osyLPzd.jpg

NvgYeJe.jpg

"I wanted orange. It gave me lemon-lime."
4kojXOS.jpg

kwDGT4F.jpg

a8pnHKI.jpg

Fun fact: you can take this poster with you.
Children should be fried, not heard
EukTOMm.jpg

amEGjZ9.jpg

7pSWYjR.jpg

tR85Iar.jpg

py9WrAf.jpg

fUzqZoP.jpg

1UcN1lG.jpg

1Ol3YwS.jpg

1HNp3Pl.jpg

bx6I9mD.jpg

doL5yY7.jpg

You're all heart, pal.
V27Msfo.jpg

f4TDdl9.jpg
Pop-a-Joshua
8L0oJY0.jpg

scRiNhT.jpg

Gee, I wonder what you have to do to get past the secretary.
8H5C3CY.jpg

I5a5pls.jpg

P9ZX2Hd.jpg

rURS1BI.jpg

"It's a Zergling, Lester. Smaller attack Zerg."
Y42P6qv.jpg

Piranhas again?
R8AJqxY.jpg

i38Gc7X.jpg

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones.
hUtHkoV.jpg

mIyCZzK.jpg

r3WJFwD.jpg

1KhxBO7.jpg
My vision is augmented
IrgmgCR.jpg

kTaT3d6.jpg

BfH2Cxe.jpg

MXrVUYT.jpg

xTowBdK.jpg

K0fcHnR.jpg

xiylCLd.jpg

0CPPTrS.jpg

kZhqHC8.jpg

BdNSOUV.jpg

XJtT76Z.jpg

wS2eo3v.jpg

sLVdCcw.jpg

After years of pixel hunts, you can put me in any house or apartment and I'll find all the hidey-holes.

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Nice. Definitely haven't experienced that. Hell, the first time I played it was on the 386, pc speaker, black and white monitor.
ke9w1rg.png

That run ended here.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got a lot of fun out of Zeliard, it was like a version of Kadash that I could play at home on my PC.

:thumbsup:

Binky

Cipher
Sid Meier's Covert Action (1990)

jjPwHFx.png

Operation Stealth jogged my memory of this game. Scumbags from the Corsican Union, the Colombian Cartel, the Mafia, etc. plot to steal, kill, destroy and otherwise sow chaos. Secret agent Remington to the rescue! Place wiretaps, decode messages, tail suspects, sneak and spy, kill flunkies, and arrest suspects. There are four minigames, but I quickly found out that the only one which really matters is the break-in. The other three can be safely ignored. The difficulty goes from "I, Diego Delarosa, mastermind of this operation, shall tell you everything on the phone." to scrambling for clues. Computers are the MVP of the spy game - once you enter the password, you can find info on people, hideouts, etc. Probably the only way to find the mastermind on higher difficulties in the same mission. You check the names you find elsewhere on the computer. If it's a red herring, it simply says not involved. Or you can find your guy and his location. And then you can break into his hideout and nab him. This is easier said than done, however, as the guards become numerous and ridiculously dangerous on higher difficulties. They open the door and chuck a grenade into the room before entering. They'll also riddle you with bullets before you can blink. The only way I could beat them is by setting booby traps with grenades. Double agents are a cool thing in the game. If you arrest a suspect, the rest might go into hiding. But if you manage to find compromising info on them, you can strongarm them into becoming a double agent - the plot continues, the agent feeds you info, you get the opportunity to nab all the suspects, prevent the crime, recover any cash and/or data, and arrest the mastermind. Time is of the essence. Each and every action takes time, waste too much of it and the nefarious plan could succeed and/or the scumbags could go into hiding and escape justice.

Arrested about seven masterminds before I got bored. To beat the game you gotta arrest all 26 of them.

I spy with my little eye
wznGukP.png

Uh-oh.
mRgPS3R.png

Gotcha, twerp!
cgABR8W.png

FyNKbOD.png

FbuOldo.png

SXAbmAg.png

lbZdwsL.png

P1xhMiT.png

nlzuemr.png
For my eyes only
5WqpXo1.png

fTVetxl.png

YjSj7bv.png

i5ErQdh.png

SCAVIpH.png

hzmx6aI.png

MlnoUNS.png

01w1Ga0.png

9YLOSbx.png

Death Squads' office. Open 9-17. Closed on holidays. No loitering or littering.
SgRWf43.png

Bingo. Gonna visit you real soon.
C1Ri3Dd.png
The clock is always ticking
c0zszZ2.png

htZ9hlP.png

1zE5IiO.png

RjoxjvP.png

nTxmMWR.png

y39oWPd.png

Fqxowc9.png

qQ1Oq0E.png

ppP2E87.png

BJyB3p4.png
From Tehran with bombs
6rGQYr0.png

csT40KT.png

N45XW9i.png

i7gu65G.png

NBf240S.png

OrrzHRg.png

HlnYczA.png

Sweet success.
q5Hsh9z.png

nLWcBtc.png

Ignoble failure.

Last edited:

iqzulk

Augur
Nevermind.

Point of KSF / Killzone Shadow Fall.

1) Planet was habitable.

2) Echo returned in the framework of the system - last mission is no contractorship.

3) Having no relation to actual Donbass conflict - see aircrash-toy photo - KSF heavily reminisces with its media imprint, that is predatory journalism. KSF narratively is stitching newspapership on modern conflicts together requiring finding every each media file putting together the web of delusion.

4) Sun melts through the windows yet does not melt the protagonist floating away from the ship, occupying majority of the screen, that is self-contradiction on the web-of-delusion level of abstract meaning journalism is simply sect exploiting others with verbiage.

5) Such journalism is no war correspondentship the latter being indiscernible in the press. War correspondentship is a guild doing no favors for trinkets, it requires indirect but stern affiliation for thereafter.

6) Being unaffiliated war narrative KSF does NOT have the tools to get to the answer of what the protagonist did much wrong.

7) Protagonist was seemingly survivable, got to survival point with partner and died. Whatever the fuck went wrong, KSF does not provide tools to analyze the possible mistake in the topsy-turvy world depicted with KSF.

8) In journalist world people do simply die.

9) Following this thread of thought through newspaper immersion leads to conclusion follower oneself might simply die. That is unbenefitial.

10) The game depicts no journalist being projection beyond the comprehension of half-wit.

11) All those people are simply impenetrable the method journodocumentalism being inherently flawed at their depiction photorealism or not.

Non-P.S.: Interactive long story building on Konung part 1.

12) This closes KSF

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom