Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on various new and old games (indie, classics, abandonware)

Binky

Cipher
Project Firestart (1989)

It is the year 2061. Minerals are required, so the eggheads come up with creatures who would mine them on Saturn's moon Titan. Of course, it all goes sideways and agent Jon Hawkins is sent to retrieve the science log and blow up the research ship Prometheus, where the scientific shenanigans took place. As you run through corridors A to Z, you come across the slaughtered crew of the Prometheus, as well as the disgruntled green miners. Thankfully, these unhappy campers can be dispatched with a few of shots from a laser gun. Two humans have snuggly survived the carnage in the cryo chamber. As you proceed with your mission, the cryo chamber will eventually be opened and one of the survivors will scram. The other one can be rescued or left to her fate. You'll find out why the project went to hell, and your simple mission will get complicated as the escaped survivor plots to get you killed. Sabotage and having to deal with a traitor is expected, almost cliché. However, the way it is done is brilliant. Agent Scumbag will turn the power off and you'll be jogging through corridors A to Z in the dark, chased by a "Supercreature" who can't be killed just with a few laser shots. And the ship will self-destruct in less than half an hour. So, take your time. No pressure. You can turn the power back on (or not), kill the creature in a few different ways (or not) and finally use the escape shuttle to get outta Dodge. If you're quick enough, you can avoid the power shutdown and getting chased by the pale freak altogether.

The chase by the white creature is the most tense part of the game. Sadly, the rest of the creatures are slow, dumb (can't even open closed doors), and easily dispatched. They can form a conga line while you blast them away. Or you can just run away from them. Compare this with Alien, where you can hear the bug moving around, opening grills and doors, smashing the ship up... and then popping up in front of you to tear your guts out. Then again, this game doesn't have Alien's godawful UI, so there is that.

Welcome to Prometheus
Ea0kraR.png

Nb1l2lY.png

bD3L9pG.png

Happens if you bail at the first sign of trouble.
IqvUDUp.png

Behold, the oxen-fungus hybrid miner.
IGtZu33.png

0rNaUW7.png

2SFFzcC.png

xQ5QMq3.png

They died as they lived - listening to Muzak.
SzmJHLF.png

D6Q66JS.png

bOfeC87.png

0ozpQKK.png

Stay calm. Everything is under control.
Hea4C7e.png

You can panic now.
Sleeping Beauty
3Sso6El.png

WD6EP9K.png

Ea1axfm.png

The sleeper has awakened.
V62iWGv.png

Happens if you don't rescue the little lady in time.
a6DqAtf.png

2KZfAGt.png

Come with me, Anne Frank.
QjL06hO.png

We stuff her into the waste pod.
yKYKP9m.png

xycdqnb.png

Taking out the trash.
Twisted firestarter
2zqmwl5.png

Kiqm0i3.png

The good doctor doesn't like people snooping around.
65RUwSZ.png

What, no "MWAHAHAHAHA!"?
Fzz0Beq.png

KgpQFg1.png

HcEvWRG.png

shOhViM.png

IKznQrq.png

The Supercreature hatches.
oslY4Au.png

It doesn't play well with others.
YTNN7kF.png

Hey there, lil' buddy.
Nx5sTZF.png

Not looking good.
The great escape
7qivJ7I.png

Better to avoid the albino and blast your way to the escape shuttle.
8zcKVgh.png

cZTV9uM.png

Not so fast. Agent Kofi Annan chivalrously declares his hostile intentions instead of shooting you in the head from behind.
qAHq3DL.png

And promptly gets killed.
Naa6Xl3.png

Happens if you don't attack him in the first few seconds.
c7CERgE.png

Salvaging trash.
SuoeTZE.png

Consider yourself recycled.
ug3oB1a.png

NLHUBVz.png

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Heart of Darkness (1998)

The bastard child of Another World and Commander Keen. Young Andy's dog Whisky gets nabbed by shadowy creatures from another world. The little squirt grabs his plasma cannon, gets into his ship, and flies away to the rescue. His zapping of shadows is short-lived, however, since a big fat creature gobbles up his gun. Fortunately, the boy soon finds a meteor which gives him the power to continue zapping the hostile flora and fauna of the alien world. Shadow creatures of all sorts are the most common type of foe and also my favorite one. They'll duck or jump when you shoot at them, try to grab you, ambush you, or outflank you. Getting chased by them when you're unarmed is thrilling. Really should have been a larger part of the game.

One could be fooled into thinking this is a whimsical adventure - humorous and cartoony cinematics, Disney-type soundtrack, gorgeous world to explore... and then young Andy get killed in many gruesome ways. Eric Chahi's message to kids: the world is beautiful and will break your spine.

Deaths
OST
Cutscenes

A boy without his dog
VPQAPQX.png

Lovely toy.
Ty3Hslu.png

Toy gets taken away. Inauspicious beginning.
wgzJSFP.png

WIgtdCF.png

q4uPONK.png

tgutOIr.png

Czbf196.png

C8TfL9c.png

jmENtaH.png

DII1BbN.png
Digestive problems
blUbYdN.png

fQFsIGO.png

bT4PX9w.png

C6LFjsa.png

0vg1j0z.png

YAX8ai0.png

Andy got his gun back.
fM0ELBX.png

tJEFU0T.png

Not so alone in the dark.

Binky

Cipher
Black Sect, remake (2012)

Q8pSme4.png

A grimoire has kept the Perigord Noir village of Issegeac safe from the Black Sect for nearly a millennium. Your grandfather was the current guardian of the book before he was murdered and the grimoire stolen. Your job is to get it back. The original 1993 version was in French, though fans have partially translated it into English. Fortunately, the remake is fully in English, even though it has almost certainly been dumbed down. Still, an adventure in the French countryside with evil sects and missing spellbooks intrigued me. If there's one thing the game doesn't lack, it's secret hiding places. To caricature: Touch a cross? You've uncovered a secret compartment. Lean on a wall? A hiding spot opens. Sneeze near a tree? A stone moves and more goodies for you to plunder are now visible to your eyes. Also, some of the people here are greedy as hell. A farmer wants a ring to let you walk past him. His price for sharpening a knife? A piece of gold. Good thing you don't need an apple or you'd have to bring him a diamond or something. Also, the sect has hanged a midget near the village - in front of the entrance to their super secret lair. Yep. You spend half the game around the village and half in the sect's lair, disguised as one of them.

The midget of Issegeac
krRcuOC.png

siPBBUR.png

j8YmLbS.png

0jnV2Wu.png

nJMivLL.png

DBolROi.png

2rw1LXW.png

syrdzjX.png

Co....cker.
JbUqjMo.png
De Vermis Mysteriis
sXjw8p7.png

OBODtE2.png

0T6coGg.png

PL8N1cO.png

lww7G8Q.png

sJexkSV.png

WM3MCtX.png

tsFHQuE.png

70dudbu.png

bz8EWBS.png
Ending spoilers
QJdZlNf.png

Every single villager you meet during the course of the game is actually a member of the Black Sect. The rest of the inhabitants have been eliminated. The sect has been watching you all along, using you to flush out a traitor in their ranks and testing how secure the stolen grimoire is. Pleased with the result, they let you leave alive and unharmed while they move to spread their silly Moloch sect elsewhere. Evil has triumphed because the good guys are morons. Roll credits.
Shame they didn't focus more on Perigord setting. I googled it and it looks pretty sweet. Fun fact: There is a village called Issigeac in the Perigord Pourpre area.

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Random PC Mix 2

Le Fetiche Maya (1989)
The manual for this game might as well be one sentence: "You're on your own, pal." Punching a guy in the face was the highlight of the game. It's also the only time you can actually fight anyone. Found it boring - there's not a lot you can do. Looks nice, though.
aH6HDuP.png

Fist-induced siesta.
Nw8U8xG.png

sUuswka.png

Overgrown carnivorous plants.
a4AoCN2.png

6YaOAsz.png

Waiting for a good Samaritan.
YgYZ8Yt.png

3OTBeaF.png

u74OzBI.png

uKE2SFz.png

vrOE0ke.png

7fh5jkm.png

7gqtfeM.png

6yrLb1R.png
California Games II (1990)
Skate, surf, snowboard,... and die.
iayAjAc.png

NrDgf0B.png

BG1VCES.png

lzUKh4I.png

vIrg3DT.png

Leaving your mark on the world.
VvFqrm8.png

4RHhbgY.png

pGcizLa.png

3nF42Jj.png

XGBos5M.png
The Amazon Trail (1993)
Go up the Amazon River and travel through time to bring medicine to the Inca king. Because a jaguar told you so. Meet explorers, scientists, natives, conquistadors, industrialists. Spearfish, barter, take photos of the local flora and fauna, avoid getting caught by hostile tribes or bands of conquistadors. Take care not to drown, get half your arse bitten off by piranhas, or die of various ghastly diseases. I suspect this game was not meant to be played clean and sober. Wonder if the box came with LSD or peyote back in the day. 'Course, nowadays you could just browse Wikipedia drunk/stoned/etc. with trippy music playing in the background.

Gone fishing
PxA9H9Y.png

SfJdsJp.png

tGoIoz5.png

FgNM6Dn.png

PeSpKzB.png

EhzrMoj.png

i0cBCuR.png

PDLAhLa.png

X5ofTkG.png

sSyYXNH.png

FYkjEHg.png
Travelling nutjobs
fizVffR.png

UkFS5qm.png

X4jX5vd.png

aAceW17.jpg

3KLaZ2f.png

65hJcqr.png

aO2EnDP.png

B8QPC5Q.png

lwHlWFy.png

NXO5yrU.png

Binky

Cipher
Future Wars: Adventures in Time (1990)

A window cleaner saves the day. Our valiant hero screws around at work, stumbles on an alien machine, and gets teleported back through time to the year 1304. Apparently, in the future mankind will be fighting for survival against the evil Crughons. Using the tech of a long dead alien civilization these bald-headed bitches have destroyed humanity's colonies and forced the survivors to flee back to Earth (which was abandoned long ago). There the humans managed to build an SDI defense to keep the belligerent twats at bay. Unable to break through, the aliens send three bombs back in time to eventually destroy the SDI and finish off the Earthlings once and for all. Your job is to foil their evil plans.

Here are two sentences you can expect to read throughout the entire game: "Come a little closer!" & "Go a little closer." Captain Clean must stand in the right spot to work his magic. It's also possible to die, so it's vital to have several backup saves. Had to replay a part of the game because I forgot to pick up some thingie and got stuck, though that was because I was rushing through that part and not because of any pixel hunts. Occasionally, you have to act fast to survive - the crown jewel being the six minute scramble to reach the control room on a huge alien ship, deal with the bomb, and escape before time runs out.

The bucket list
bjoUrzp.png

keTuFb9.png

Pearl of wisdom. Let the rage monkeys wear themselves out.
HdG6crT.png

MVRLanz.png

mjQR0py.png

QJh6mYL.png

hAOfJAG.png

ZHcRmSx.png

WRQ76Kk.png

768n6qY.png

tMwE3Ad.png

Cltq2Pt.png

3DaFRVC.png
Beautiful desolation
ciKvylk.png

4yTMY4O.png

zMb22u6.png

lB1pbVf.png

xlvHoII.png

KFMMb2O.png

tR6dizc.png

Travelling in style.
geW1SXx.png

Figures.
96oClHA.png

7euoxQN.png
Death to Croutons
Bn1C0bB.png

JMllZzL.png

Zapping baldies.
0C9QCUc.png

CY9hKlP.png

GzsaWj5.png

Or5QAo6.png

dc6Iyg1.png

iufWaMG.png

Control room. Failed this time. Ran out of time to escape.
y1c8bBH.png

Qtzf3nN.png

You've saved mankind...
HBKQKmw.png

...by nuking the dinosaurs into extinction. Hilarious.
e7AQ9gc.png

Falksi

Arcane
Binky, is the list on the first page in order of anything specific?

I was gonna add some of these to the list to play, but want to go for the best ones first.

Binky

Cipher
Merely a table of contents. Colonization is simply the first game I posted about, Future Wars the last.

Binky

Cipher
Of the games I first played last year/since I started this thread I'd pick Moonstone, Heroine's Quest, Revolution 76, and Alien. If I had to go with just one, I'd pick Alien. Prehistoric graphics and horrible UI aside, I've had a lot of fun with it. You're stuck on a small ship with a killer bug stalking you. You've got a bunch of panicky civilians with the combat skills of a little girl. Air is running out, the bug is destroying the ship, and one of the passengers is a treacherous android. Imagine fighting the alien and then one of the passengers starts attacking the others instead of the monster. Or a passenger losing his nerve, dropping his weapon and legging it during the fight, leaving the rest to get torn apart by the bug. The sense of accomplishment when I managed to kill the xeno and save ALL of the bedwetting twerps was great. And that was on easy difficulty. I'll definitely replay it one day and try to beat it on the hardest setting.

Of the rest, I'll just mention KGB. I think the game's criminally underrated and every adventure gamer should give a shot. It's interesting, tough, has loads of dry humor, and gives you plenty of opportunities to fuck up in amusing ways. For example, you can neglect the investigation and spend your time drinking, chatting, and banging hookers. You can play as an ideological fanatic, meet another fanatic, and just start shouting Party slogans at each other. You can bully your underlings, terrify civilians, beat up criminals, and then insult the wrong person and end up in Siberia.

Binky

Cipher
Dragon Lord (1990)

To live forever. Three scumbags seek to find pieces of a talisman that would allow them to enter Dwarf Mountain and gain immortality. Each of them has one dragon and twenty dragon eggs with which they can accomplish this task. Eggs need heat to hatch - the higher the heat, the sooner they hatch. However, this can get very expensive, and a dragon that hatches quickly is also weaker. To get cash for your flying beasties you must conquer towns and villages and tax them. Your dragons must kill a good chunk of the population before the settlement folds. Though dragons bring fiery death they can also get injured and killed by the townsfolk. Every dragon has stats: wisdom, eyesight, health, strength, and speed. A foolish dragon will die very quickly, a weak one will barely cause any damage. So to insure their longevity one must use alchemy to strengthen them. Thing is, alchemical ingredients are also very expensive. I bankrupted myself about three times before getting the hang it. Oh, about those towns and villages. There are different races populating the area. And they hate each other. Typical. They'll wage war and you'll often see settlements getting destroyed without you lifting a finger. If the towns get large enough, they'll establish new villages. But wait, there's more. Not only can your towns get burned to ashes by your rivals' dragons, or get obliterated in race wars, they can also get decimated by plagues or rebel against your tyrannical rule. Man, being an evil overlord sure ain't easy.

Pro tip: At the start of the game, write down the coordinates of every town and village on the map. A talisman piece should be at three of those locations and every one of them must be guarded by one of your dragons before you can bring them back to you castle.

A man's home is his castle
RvbdPP4.png

Starting towns and villages.
EskNWQe.png

Castle of the vampire lady.
d3edY5C.png

Castle of the cyclops to the left.
UCghA1p.png

Home sweet home.
ScTwlxn.png

XEkG40V.png

yGQMEPG.png

Ulk4JZi.png

Enemies of the towns you attack will reward you. Sometimes they give alchemical ingredients.
coJ73fY.png
Volatile affairs
ULhNWon.png

l01cpDD.png

PW0ofLe.png

ucJ6wzL.png

zKDbaTq.png

My baby. I dub thee Attila.
K9jMby1.png

7uirOAe.png

CsCfHLk.png

5cgTvkk.png

My subjects have been busy little bees.
Immortality gained
1gAhvnf.png

tAN3fs6.png

0wXTljl.png

XEKFoky.png

The throne and your prize awaits.
rbRVrgR.png

Power overwhelming.
hEOUz2R.png

Enemy castles get obliterated.
UOhlxCr.png

You get turned to stone and will serve as the focal point for the mountain's evil.
1ttoNeL.png

Forever young.

PS.
Might as well post another Amiga tune here. Just because.

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
The Abbey of Crime Extensum (2016)

Jwj6gU3.png

A remake of the 1987 game La Abadía del Crimen. I'm a major fan of The Name of the Rose (book & movie), so when I learned of this game's existence, off it went onto my to-play list. Sean Connery Friar William and his novice Adso investigate the death of a young monk at an abbey. You have seven days to get to the bottom of the strange goings on. While at the abbey you also have to abide by its rules and those of the abbot. This is measured by the obsequium. When it drops too low, you lose the game. It drops when you're late for prayers, communal meals, or when you disobey orders. If the abbot finds you out of your cell at night, he immediately throws you out of the abbey. And let me tell you, this chap is a very light sleeper and quick on his feet. Learned this the hard way and had to start from scratch. I vaguely recall something similar from Darklands, where you had to suck up to the clergy and nobility or suffer the consequences. The plot is a simplified version of the movie one. There's no debate between the Franciscans and the papal delegates, Inquisitor Bernard Gui shows up and barks around but doesn't tangle with William. Took me a bit to get used to the controls. There's few puzzles and a lot of walking. The 24 minute soundtrack greatly adds to the atmosphere and I found it entertaining to watch the movie lookalikes putter around the abbey.

Penitenziagite
G1zvWLt.png

uq6p3JC.png

jAxwCBQ.png

vqHqhQH.png

9AjkUes.png

aE1e6p9.png

tUDz4WN.png

s3E719w.png

QE0AZ3B.png

Xp5uTVS.png

Jshoncv.png
Urbs Jerusalem beata
k9zRqVc.png

Adso gets some lovin'.
VfaDfc4.png

The pale walrus lives no more.
Jb8GtuQ.png

cKZByIM.png

no8g1dT.png

EiRIKdb.png

kqlmeBw.png

Z2nm9r2.png

Nah, he's just having a nap.
dyMoEcR.png

pBsSr44.png
Finis Africae
PGeGWGS.png

gtEcLTJ.png

Abbey of Crime? More like Abbey of Lust.
Ltb1bCd.png

w9PjQPt.png

9WpSXaB.png

The place is getting a bit depopulated.
f3stAkr.png

lC96Pz4.png

oyVMC18.png

"Therefore, I seal that which was not to be said..."
AdTVnFr.png

"...in the tomb I become."
r7hzi6s.png

7dwgd6R.png

n3VOXRP.png

Binky

Cipher
Beasts & Bumpkins (1997)

JTe8ZXc.png

Producing workers? No, sir! Here you must breed them. Actually, more like create proper conditions for them to breed - your bumpkins must have homes before they start popping kids out. Children are easily killed by roaming beasts and must be protected until they grow into adulthood. Then they can throw rocks or the men can join one of the fighting guilds. Besides housing, your people need food, water, and entertainment. They get sick, hungry, unhappy, and will on occasion commit crimes, ranging from swearing to murder. Always fun to sentence those who swear to capital punishment and let murderers off with a fine. Eventually, your people will get old and will no longer be able to work, procreate, or fight. When they die, they have to be buried by a priest, lest a plague break out in the village. Infect an enemy village with the plague? Fun. Lead a couple of angry ogres to an enemy town? Sweet. Create a zombie army with your wizards near the enemy settlement? Nice. Kill all enemy women and let their men grow old and die or launch a suicidal attack on your booby trapped town? Hilarious. One of the more amusing moments in the game came when one of the men was leading a cow, was asked for a bit of nookie by a woman, and they both went into a hut for some fornicating fun. And the cow also entered the house. These yokels sure are a kinky lot.

Intro
OST

Fancy a bit of rough and tumble?
9lPt7MZ.png

LSIrnzV.png

lmgOhgt.png

Hello, little girl.
h5NfpTl.png

J9HvNWz.png

geJLoMR.png

Zffxw2l.png

h5H7suG.png

PomuhZ0.png

Xxi5930.png

8q5ARjH.png

5jffY5R.png

Q69esIS.png
Rural life
Bzbektp.png

7HYwnSB.png

gXcI2wj.png

qW8PvtU.png

UoL3J1O.png

NysqoeF.png

llPx8hc.png

No women, no more kids.
NSKHubW.png

ZTe2nwH.png

zZ2q7sF.png

WErQyJ2.png

yAai7WX.png

Binky

Cipher
Archimedean Dynasty (1996)

Hot torpedo action! Lead the sassiest mercenary around as he blasts his way through pirates, cultists, anarchists, monarchists, and Bionts in this futuristic underwater wonderland. Of the dozens of missions, the two capturing and then defending the aptly named large ship Big Fat Mama were my favorite. Both involve large fleets duking it out. The final few missions were interesting: You always start with a large allied fleet - which promptly charges into the enemy defenses and gets torn to shreds. First class tactics. Then you have to skulk all by your lonesome and methodically zap guntowers and Reaper-looking Biont bombers.

Salty surprise
CBOzev2.png

wK6uoaD.png

WOCxr4A.png

No fish, just floating bodies.
uccXI5h.png

tyjIGkc.png

IFJI0LP.png

jck3Mnv.png

0e9Bxx2.png

3xqx7wn.png

4ZatOjF.png

5IYYKZZ.png

UFm7U4j.png
Fucking Bionts
ICjPleA.png

uyuSmI5.png

Mt81Xv5.png

JiicPaF.png

txUapOT.png

SiutPKP.png

Rlbp3RI.png

25tU6WJ.png

tW59GDA.png

VuoOyMg.png

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Sub Culture (1997)

Less shooting, more scavenging. Play as a Lilliputian underwater mercenary and plunder the bottom of the sea for stuff like coins, bottle caps, and ciggie butts. Zap sea fauna, explore, trade, shoot pirates, wage war, tow malfunctioning subs, and deliver bombs. I eagerly await the day this game comes to either Steam or Gog.

Some Mobygames pics
11525-sub-culture-windows-screenshot-the-graphics-are-incredible.jpg

11542-sub-culture-windows-screenshot-mantas-are-nocturnal.jpg

11536-sub-culture-windows-screenshot-tobbaco-farming.jpg

11544-sub-culture-windows-screenshot-the-amazing-software-engine.gif

11527-sub-culture-windows-screenshot-touka-reef-a-bohine-city.jpg

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
The Great Escape (1987)

Escape from a German WW2 camp. Barbed wire, guard doggies, and grim guards stand in your way to freedom. After fiddling around and several failures, I found a way to get out. Turns out the Red Cross sends you everything you need to escape. Guards also don't seem to be bothered much to chase me down if I miss roll call, skip breakfast, or exercise time. This must be where they sent the laziest Wehrmacht soldiers. That said, it's very easy to screw up and end up in solitary confinement, your items confiscated, and demoralized. But! The game promises multiple ways to escape and I've only discovered one. Ok, challenge accepted. A few hours later I admitted defeat and went to look for the solution. Turns out there are multiple ways to escape. However, there are only slight variations and all three involve the compass. How disappointing. I expected a completely different solution.

Great idea, lousy execution.

Alarm
WUIYBe4.png

dDK4shK.png

5G126X5.png

jcXxRlz.png

SzR6OCP.png

gdGn3HW.png

9SaR9t7.png

f5SbhuD.png

AaHzFsL.png
Halt, Schwein!
avcYa3R.png

laG4stz.png

VsvP0qo.png

5BU048n.png

xUS0NrA.png

ySlvstx.png

2Z3TFJa.png

Binky

Cipher
Vengeance of Excalibur (1991)

wuxBUEW.png

Lead the Knights of the Round table as they traipse all over the Iberian Peninsula in search of Excalibur, the Holy Grail, and the rest of Arthur's goodies. Bash Saracens, Dwarves, skeletons, knights, and dragons. Command armies, cast spells, and deal with genies. First you choose your four knights: Lancelot and three guys who couldn't beat a cripple in a swordfight. Then again, it's not like you'll be doing the fighting. No, sir. All you do is choose how aggressive your guys are gonna be, then you watch as they trade blows with the enemy. Same with the armies. Two mobs meet and then you watch as they slaughter each other with gusto. Game reminded me of Conan: The Cimmerian, and sure enough, it was made by the same group. Man, this game has a great setting, purdy graphics, and terribly boring gameplay. What a waste. It's not like there's hundreds of games about medieval Iberia out there.

Lamps and genies
cm5V7an.png

A flagellant. Fancy that.
pJUDPvv.png

XzxTc5O.png

oi9gQuI.png

bPXknaA.png

gVipEYD.png

Bt6zjcq.png

AYxIiEO.png

2FkNXxs.png

gtJFmcU.png
Gotta have dragons
9mge8I0.png

Pretty poor excuse for a dragon, if you ask me.
EJcYJNm.png

The only way to travel.
FrlC5cA.png

3p7QmW9.png

GDMMLDD.png

ufOBkW8.png

Lepers, flagellants,... But where are the hunchbacks?
9AI0Pe4.png

dKlPmM9.png

j6WidQD.png
Not praying, just dead
FcnhwR5.png

8XU1JcN.png

kVlaXHT.png

0LfzjHB.png

i8Y4mNq.png

uYC8jiH.png

PQ12pGy.png

eXPjGLh.png

hifEcul.png

GGzTEkg.png

tEWlS5C.png

sDWGw8B.png
Al Andalus
84gRkTD.png

eGnrYn1.png

afKLlvG.png

T9HAlYS.png

29zLSjM.png

xhFrdBZ.png

LO9iGC5.png

ejo9o5O.png

7ig1DKm.png

NMIAfze.png

Binky

Cipher
Heart of China (1991)

Played Rise of the Dragon way back, but this one somehow eluded me. WW1 pilot Jake "Lucky" Masters gets forced into finding & rescuing a business mogul's kidnapped daughter in 1930s China. He enlists the help of a Chinese ninja (really) and off they go to have campy fun in Hong Kong, Chengdu, Kathmandu, and Istanbul. The prize money for saving the daughter is 200,000 bucks and is reduced by 20,000 every day - shown by a dollar bill with wings flying away. Pretty goofy and entertaining. It also has two arcade games. In the first one, you escape with a WW1 tank. In the second one, you have a swordfight on top of the Orient Express. Epic. The rescued daughter (a nurse) eventually also becomes a playable character. A pilot, a nurse, and a ninja fly into Istanbul. Sounds like the beginning of a joke. Hell, it's worth playing for the setting alone.

Gweilo
kqgIKQa.png

wn2zsPm.png

biKq2Am.png

8Gcav1a.png

Always!
YtenE9Z.png

Damn honeytrap.
mWf3xjT.png

Shanghaied in Hong Kong.
lMvFTpS.png

5YWufT2.png

qWJuvkV.png

PTjf51N.png
Little trouble in big Chengdu
gqCkUMG.png

tjfY2kH.png

RxJqabK.png

This game cracks me up.
PWEByEU.png

hyv0tcI.png

kIqUgzQ.png

lUeYZrd.png

JFxN6Rf.png

EXlrhdU.png

Fd6hP6n.png
Tears and chocolates
UuXcnIi.png

l6b3V2Z.png

zdOJLIY.png

Lucky's thoughts? She's worth at least a hundred gallons.
mV6nXBA.png

8uDfvxX.png

K2fuzI5.png

Dis04SK.png

doy4p7i.png

iVfnU8b.png

OTzdAzM.png
The Not So Last Express
zeFF2qZ.png

JzsM4Zp.png

CS1y1Ba.png

SeZT8zk.png

ImndWbu.png

a0z45L4.png

eioUCtx.png

AjSXbBt.png

y5apQM9.png

fnqyvYZ.png

Binky

Cipher
Shadow Watch (2000)

dz9LRSl.png

With a name like that you'd think you'll be fighting vampires or something. Not so. You're a flunky for a corporation that's responsible for keeping the construction of the International Space Station going smoothly. Your team of six agents intervene when there's trouble. The campaign consists of three locations: Baikonur, Hong Kong, and Rio de Janeiro. Each city has three factions. Every campaign is different - one campaign, you might start with Baikonur, work for the Russian Army, and fight the Kazakhs. Another time you might start with Hong Kong, work for the Triads and fight the Chinese Army, and then move to Baikonur and work for the Kazakhs and fight the Scientist Mercenaries. There are eight types of missions, ranging from kill 'em all (Assault, Defend) to stealth (Surveillance, Theft) to things like kidnapping and demolition. Which mission you'll get depends on the dialog choices you pick with your contacts. Apart from accuracy you also have power - you might hit your opponent but won't kill him because your power is too low. This might lead to an amusing sight of the enemy flopping around like a fish while you shoot him five or six times.

Thing is, every time a person is hit or shot at his AP increases. If the AP exceeds the guy's morale, he might go berserk, panic, freeze, or run for cover. That flopping enemy might get up and use his 8 AP to blast your crew away. Same goes for your guys. I've seen a berserking agent charge in and take out an entire room of enemies... or run out of cover and get blown away in seconds. As you progress, your team gets exp. Since only those who go on missions get exp, it's wise to pick missions like Assault where all six agents can participate. I remember the frustration of searching for that last X-Files reject in X-Com. Here you have a guy with a scanner who can show you exactly where the enemies are. With proper upgrades you'll be able to see every hidden enemy on the map. By far the most useful agent. Other agents can become real killing machines. The sniper is wimpy at first - can only shoot once and without movement. Later she can move and shoot several times. Put her in a spot and use cover (interrupt) and she'll blast four or five enemies a turn. Another is a grenadier. At first I found him useless. Doesn't have a gun and can't use cover. An enemy could open the door and instead of getting shot he could blow the grenadier away. Properly upgraded, the grenadier can beat the entire map all by himself. A room full of enemies all pointing their guns towards the door, waiting for some fool to open it? No problem. The grenadier blasts the door open and the shockwave either kills the foes or slams them to the ground. It's not Jagged Alliance or X-Com, but is interesting enough to try out.

OST

Thin and fat
DjjdFpa.png

Doesn't look fat to me. Not even chubby.
1Z7rvDF.png

LPQSPbi.png

Fh3mYG3.png

pZDb3Js.png

qijxC5b.png

This is fat.
8x6ctPM.png
Kung Fu Lily
4wMVfFw.png

djxm2PX.png

HHq8NeX.png

Pick Assault, dummy.
pY7j5aU.png

lluTcHq.png

MAKt4eI.png

ex1cJWt.png

8hgTP4s.png

MpfHstY.png

3hnfWnx.png
To the stars
u2qTRtf.png

BQZA5hS.png

OVxezAV.png

DD81k07.png

8JdQtVM.png

PzJQJfA.png

G3BcxM8.png

Yjbij3n.png

KrGN5P7.png

kQhnAEn.png

Binky

Cipher
Balance of Power: The 1990 Edition (1989)

ABspf7b.png

Fight for prestige and influence while taking measures to prevent the Cold War from going hot and starting a nuclear war. Humiliate the yankee doodle bastard pig dogs as you wrest their allies into the loving bosom of the USSR. Or sabotage the efforts of the vodka-sodden filthy commie bastard scum and entice the countries of the world to side with the good ol' USA. These countries aren't passive playthings, though. They have goals of their own and will start wars, support coups, provide economic aid, or arm rebels of their neighbors. That said, it's much easier to bully some minor nation than it is a superpower.

It's very satisfying to wrest a staunch ally away from your enemy. Not starting a nuclear holocaust is good too, I guess. However, destroying the world because you sent aid to El Salvador and didn't back down when challenged by the US will always be funnier.

Nuke 'em
fGCHbug.png

Messing with the E. European states is a big no-no.
VOgCNwV.png

cMpK3kC.png

KNoNudX.png

Loss of prestige all around.
9yIFHzL.png

And China is now fascist.
0ZrCehq.png

The US' new best friend.
qJYDgPL.png

R7GGCVl.png

The Chinese like to throw their weight around.
8t8umh4.png

Oh well. Great line, though.
egKcc1u.png

2kZoh4b.png

Bask in the love of the Americas. Even Castro came around, as well as some of the other Soviet allies.
eTG4d0b.png
Red menace
rolkYOC.png

mqcVXoI.png

L1KbxcQ.png

West Germany is swamped with USSR cash.
pBmRcMu.png

Not good.
6RUkb3S.png

HDRdLgu.png

Flipping Saudi Arabia would be a major coup.

Binky

Cipher
Transarctica (1993)

Measures to stop global warming worked a little too well and now the entire world is frozen. Drive a massive train around in your quest to find the mythical sun. Slave labor is best labor - your goals might be noble, but your deeds are not. You'll need slaves to mine lignite and anthracite and to build bridges and repair train tracks. Speaking of lignite, that's the currency. If you run out of anthracite, you can use lignite to fuel the train. You're literally burning cash. Awesome. People want you dead and will be gunning for you. They'll chase you with trains of their own, armed with cannons and machine guns, and with mammoths and soldiers waiting to charge at you. To raise cash you can either mine, loot defeated trains, or trade. Merchandise ranges from caviar and furs all the way to mammoth dung. Really. You can also use sneaky tactics and blow up tracks to prevent enemy trains from chasing you or send a line inspection car to crash into their engine. And nothing shows you care like launching several missiles or sending spies to sabotage stuff.

One of the most original settings in games, Transarctica is based on the colossal series of 97 novels called The Ice Company by Georges-Jean Arnaud. The guy was insanely prolific. Wrote more books that most people will read in their lives.

Game's abandonware and if by chance you fail the copy protection answers and get stuck - save and reload and you'll be able to continue playing.

Bit chilly
fzfgCuk.png

Dy1sYeb.png

elkoLp4.png

g2l8raD.png

GU5SgJd.png

KkjPrMm.png

PVbyZeL.png

7hpsHjw.png
Loch Ness surprise
jVNSsnX.png

wFqgHit.png

u5XzFSP.png

Nessie says hi. Fancy that.
uXKdWqZ.png

RY5sXFW.png

JN1TBBq.png

Km78VoD.png

iBVwQEh.png

TebV6eg.png

xrfjO66.png
Mr. Tusky
bRBsELh.png

Travelling underground is faster but also more dangerous.
IAIsj6U.png

ry0Bt0R.png

xmyy5PN.png

NHExmOt.png

o3n6se6.png

s3Y3Zy9.png

CURLpLk.png

4OTr4A9.png

zby4p2U.png
Here comes the sun
NMvVn5h.png

Maybe Nessie would appreciate this.
Ccpvsad.png

Yessir.
EN8FhTA.png

5zuGPLt.png

rMKRnp0.png

om8VveS.png

wzeiYHU.png

nQ4LjnU.png

Gioiz5P.png

aRx7YF1.png

loMl0vt.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Heart of Darkness (1998)

The bastard child of Another World and Commander Keen. Young Andy's dog Whisky gets nabbed by shadowy creatures from another world. The little squirt grabs his plasma cannon, gets into his ship, and flies away to the rescue. His zapping of shadows is short-lived, however, since a big fat creature gobbles up his gun. Fortunately, the boy soon finds a meteor which gives him the power to continue zapping the hostile flora and fauna of the alien world. Shadow creatures of all sorts are the most common type of foe and also my favorite one. They'll duck or jump when you shoot at them, try to grab you, ambush you, or outflank you. Getting chased by them when you're unarmed is thrilling. Really should have been a larger part of the game.

One could be fooled into thinking this is a whimsical adventure - humorous and cartoony cinematics, Disney-type soundtrack, gorgeous world to explore... and then young Andy get killed in many gruesome ways. Eric Chahi's message to kids: the world is beautiful and will break your spine.

Deaths
OST
Cutscenes

A boy without his dog
VPQAPQX.png

Lovely toy.
Ty3Hslu.png

Toy gets taken away. Inauspicious beginning.
wgzJSFP.png

WIgtdCF.png

q4uPONK.png

tgutOIr.png

Czbf196.png

C8TfL9c.png

jmENtaH.png

DII1BbN.png
Digestive problems
blUbYdN.png

fQFsIGO.png

bT4PX9w.png

C6LFjsa.png

0vg1j0z.png

YAX8ai0.png

Andy got his gun back.
fM0ELBX.png

tJEFU0T.png

Not so alone in the dark.

A game that actually required you to think.

Binky

Cipher
Right.

I've checked out all the games on my list, some of which I've posted about here. This was a lot of fun. Prolly won't post anything else here for a long time (if at all).

10 random pics
wEnG0oN.png

Pblcy8P.png

Great. Now what, dumbass?

iY6QYrY.png

1l4puZp.png

HNms3lg.png

cdcDqpR.png

3OCGlK7.png

05NODK9.png

7Jy6WKV.png

P87MIhQ.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom