Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer on the RPGS of 2021

Mauman

Learned
Wow.

I feel like I should be paid for the minutes of life I wasted reading that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
PCGamer said:
It's been a great year for RPGs, if you hate and fear the new
Re-releases and retro RPGs made the futuristic-sounding year 2021 feel indebted to the past.
What's surprising is that most of the new RPGs that squeezed out between 2021's herd of re-releases didn't feel like the future, either. They skewed toward celebrations of the past, the kind of games that will inevitably be described as "love letters."
If only this were actually true... :M

Zeriel

Arcane
It's amazing how much the author misses the mark. It's true that remakes are a plague. It's true that the genre should try to take a new direction. And then the author starts praising some Skyrim mod in which :

Stats and skills are irrelevant to the kind of story The Forgotten City tells, so it does away with them. Distinctions between character classes are so minimal they barely exist—archaeologists get insights into objects they examine, outlaws get increased sprint speed—and there's no leveling or XP.

The author clearly wants to make RPGs into adventure games. Author hates the genre and want it to go extinct.

There's a lot of people like that. Developers and publishers and journos often seem united in resenting the fact that RPGs that aren't just smoothed out stews of every genre (ala Far Cry or AC) continue to be popular and have a market. Even Obsidian seemed increasingly irritated that they were "forced" into making old fashioned RPGs for the money, and then even gave up on that.

It's amazing how much the author misses the mark. It's true that remakes are a plague. It's true that the genre should try to take a new direction. And then the author starts praising some Skyrim mod in which :

Stats and skills are irrelevant to the kind of story The Forgotten City tells, so it does away with them. Distinctions between character classes are so minimal they barely exist—archaeologists get insights into objects they examine, outlaws get increased sprint speed—and there's no leveling or XP.

The author clearly wants to make RPGs into adventure games. Author hates the genre and want it to go extinct.

There's a lot of people like that. Developers and publishers and journos often seem united in resenting the fact that RPGs that aren't just smoothed out stews of every genre (ala Far Cry or AC) continue to be popular and have a market. Even Obsidian seemed increasingly irritated that they were "forced" into making old fashioned RPGs for the money, and then even gave up on that.

But they have adventure games, visual novels and walking simulators. Why they bother hating us?

Zeriel

Arcane

But they have adventure games, visual novels and walking simulators. Why they bother hating us?

Everything must be "progressed". If it is not progressing, then it is evil.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Disco Inferno is not a rpg. Even worse, to pretend it is like pnp rpgs just shows ignorance and retartation. GAME OVER.

mondblut

Arcane
It's been a great year for RPGs, if you hate and fear the new

:takemymoney:

As well as Disco Elysium's own Final Cut, there was Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Diablo 2: Resurrected, Final Fantasy's pixel remasters, Nier Replicant, Legend of Mana HD, Geneforge 1 - Mutagen, more Kingdom Hearts games on PC than any human could ever actually play, and the incremental update of Skyrim Anniversary Edition. Further ahead, we can look forward to The Witcher 3's next-gen edition and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake.

:keepmyjewgold:

:2/5: for misleading clickbait title, I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Don't really understand why this guy demands Disco clones and then dismisses Gamedec as a "throwback."

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The author clearly did not play enough Euro Trash.

There were plenty of RPGs that were *different.*

The tiny selection that they played were the *widely known ones* people have heard of.

Originality is not the same thing as fun, Torment Tides of Numenera showed that. Very original game undone by terrible Unity mechanics and pacing.

TwoEdge

Scholar
The utter arrogance of the article irks me to hell and back. "If you enjoy the classics it must be because you HATE AND FEAR THE NEW!". Sure, there's good discussion to be had about the lack of innovation (in all genres, mind), but the author, in a display of impeccable professionalism, instead goes full clickbait? Quality journalism right there!

Also, while I do love Disco Elysium (yeah, yeah, bite me) tauting it as innovative while its boldest design choice was to relegate conflict resolution to builds and dice rolls instead of full-fledged combat systems expected of CRPGS is beyond stupid, as it's the opposite of evolution. Maybe he meant unprecedented? Sigh...

Last edited:

Everything must be "progressed". If it is not progressing, then it is evil.

RPGs can be progressed by adding more and better systems, not by removing them.

mondblut

Arcane
The utter arrogance of the article irks me to hell and back. "If you enjoy the classics it must be because you HATE AND FEAR THE NEW!".

I am proud and honored to hate the "new" with a power of a thousand neutronium bombs, but somehow this little cunt has failed to convince me that the year has been great.

Lizard

Learned
When I was growing up I always thought rpgs were going to look like their cover art one day. That they would still be heroic journeys and struggles. Unfortunately we live in the age where everything has to be deconstructed/criticized/streamlined. I just want some masculine fantasy that isn't making fun of itself or its audience. Fuck this gay shit. Give me good exploration and combat.

Aren't shitty dumbed down "adventure" games what these journos and their clique have been making/praising since shit like Gone Home? They are trying to change other genres because they are pissed we didn't play their gay "art" games.

This is like those American POWs in Korea who communicated they were being tortured through morse code. The author here clearly dislikes RPGs but cannot directly say it so he leaves extremely blatant context clues such as praising story focused games with minor RPG elements while in turn trashing proper RPGs such as Pathfinder and Solasta. Someone help this poor man so we do not in the future have to bear witness this cry for help.
Vietnam

Something tells me this author might've been part of McNamara's Morons instead.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Article is written in style of Talmud, classic RPGs just like goyim need to be subverted, mutated and their identity destroyed, plan is falling behind schedule which makes Jewish author seethe. Also, OP is Jew

There, that's all you need to know. Jews hate you and RPGs and want both dead. Jewish Mechajammer, innovated for 6 years, changed ruleset and artstyle every month and? What we got is abomination, what I got is ban for naming the Jew in Mechajammer thread. Make more Atom:Trudograds and Vagrus:The Riven RealmSS. Both released this year, both excellent RPGs that innovated and stayed true to their role-playing roots. They are not mentioned on any Jewish TOP10 wishlist for RPG Hanukkah because Jews don't want you to know that there is both for You and RPGs, Hope

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Oh wow, a modern self-proclaimed computer games fan with media presence turns out to completely misunderstand and genuinely dislike the games he supposedly is an expert on. Stop all the presses immediately, this has never happened before and is extremely surprising.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
From my point of the view the problem with modern RPGs (and games in general) isn't the lack of innovation, but the lack of high quality execution. There is a good reason to use old formulas: They work. Older games are just more straightforward then modern games. They don't try to be something else (e.g. a movie), but are fine just being video games. This has nothing to do with nostalgia, as you'll notice the difference even if you have never played the game before. Lack of innovation would be a problem if dozens of well-executed clones of old formulas would pop-up every year, but nothing could be further from the truth. Most AAA games use modern formulas which are lackluster to begin with and most indie devs just cannot execute the old formulas well enough. For example, Encased, is a Fallout clone and works beautifully for the first part of the game which is the polished and well-executed part. It breaks down afterwards, but not because it lacks innovation, but because it is just poorly done. Pixel art is another great example for this. There are some beautiful modern pixel art games (e.g. Katana Zero, The Messenger and the upcoming Songs of Conquest), but many others just look like shit (e.g. Celeste and Dead Cells). Using a retro graphic style isn't the problem, but the lack of quality in the execution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom