Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager is underrated.

mkultra

Augur
Damn, game is big, 450mb in comparison to around 6mb for shattered lands.. yeah, i would expect better animations for such big game, almost Fallout sized.. still, it's a damn hassle to make those anims, totally depends on how long they had, i can see how such things can get scrapped with restricted budget and time..

mkultra

Augur
still, it's a damn hassle to make those anims
Week or two of work for a team of sprite artists that were already employed

Each race, each weapon class, every angle, not that much; most likely floppy disk capacity limitations are to blame

450MB on floppy discs, must have been like 20 lol.. not sure how many games from this time period really bothered with those animations, probably not too many. Ultima 7 came out years earlier and looked far better though + didn't take up that amount of space either.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
450mb is the CD version with digitized voice and music (as CD tracks). The original Floppy version of Wake of The Ravager is 11MB.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Each race, each weapon class, every angle, not that much; most likely floppy disk capacity limitations are to blame

450MB on floppy discs, must have been like 20 lol.. not sure how many games from this time period really bothered with those animations, probably not too many. Ultima 7 came out years earlier and looked far better though + didn't take up that amount of space either.

450 MB is more like 300+ floppies...

mkultra

Augur

450 MB is more like 300+ floppies...

Nah, not compressed. But 20 is probably a bit low ;)

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
ah cool, never knew there was two versions.

Many games of that era came out in two version(floppies and CD with voice),the CD was something new and offered huge space larger than most HDDs of that era but games were still relatively small,under 50mbs.So many companies didn't know what to do with the extra space and used it mainly for voice overs,a few had used it for better graphics too like SVGA resolution.

mkultra

Augur
ah cool, never knew there was two versions.

Many games of that era came out in two version(floppies and CD with voice),the CD was something new and offered huge space larger than most HDDs of that era but games were still relatively small(10-30mbs).So many companies didn't know what to do with the extra space and used it mainly for voice overs,a few had used it for better graphics too like SVGA resolution.

You're right, i remember i had a few games on floppy first, then i upgraded to CD version. Perhaps Kings Quest or some other adventure game which later came with voices.

Seeing every half-giant with the same balding hairdo in this game really bugs me for some reason.

Yes, the bugs and visual quirks do get in the way, but the game is highly underrated.

The game has really fun encounters and dialogue and some of the most interesting locations that you'll get to visit in a single RPG.

gothfox

Liturgist
I remember liking second one better than first. I managed to get a broken version at first and couldn't pass into illithid caves, so I had to get a different cracked exe somewhere (going by the time period, probably through fidonet) and restart from the beginning because the saves were incompatible. Good times.

edit: I played both after FO and BG1 series and it was somewhat surprising that there were actual choices and consequences.

overtenemy

Augur
I had the CD version way back when, and even then I always got the bug where jumping into a tapestrry dumped me out onto the halfling map. Replaying it again with a copy I downloaded, I couldn't even get down to the umber hulks. Just put me somewhere in Tyr. Is there some way to avoid this bullshit so after 25 or whatever the hell years I can finally beat it and see if Wake is indeed underrated?

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Loved the Dark Sun setting having played in a tabletop game for years but one thing that annoyed me about these games was that no matter what weapon you were wielding it wasn't reflected on your avatar

yeah... so fun to animate additional hundreds of frames with all the different weapons varieties, for every character, and from every side. Also games were on floppy disks, that kind of work is both extremely time consuming, many hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of work + takes lots of additional space too. I'm honestly impressed by the 2D games where this is actually reflected.

funny, they must have put in those thousand gazillion hours to compose the trailer. Then they scrapped wepon sprites from the game, as a big fuck you to their customers I guess.

mkultra

Augur
Loved the Dark Sun setting having played in a tabletop game for years but one thing that annoyed me about these games was that no matter what weapon you were wielding it wasn't reflected on your avatar

yeah... so fun to animate additional hundreds of frames with all the different weapons varieties, for every character, and from every side. Also games were on floppy disks, that kind of work is both extremely time consuming, many hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of work + takes lots of additional space too. I'm honestly impressed by the 2D games where this is actually reflected.

funny, they must have put in those thousand gazillion hours to compose the trailer. Then they scrapped wepon sprites from the game, as a big fuck you to their customers I guess.

how do you know it's finished for all characters? it's also not "weapon sprites" it's sprites overall, this is not 3D where that's very quick to do in comparison to animating characters with perhaps 20 different weapons, then also take into account the varieties of armors they can wear using a specific weapon, so it's a ton of combinations that has to be done. That takes time + also space. It's also rare that developers intentionally makes the game worse as a "fuck you", to sell less games and get worse reviews etc. time is usually the reason why stuff is scrapped.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
how do you know it's finished for all characters? it's also not "weapon sprites" it's sprites overall, this is not 3D where that's very quick to do in comparison to animating characters with perhaps 20 different weapons, then also take into account the varieties of armors they can wear using a specific weapon, so it's a ton of combinations that has to be done. That takes time + also space. It's also rare that developers intentionally makes the game worse as a "fuck you", to sell less games and get worse reviews etc. time is usually the reason why stuff is scrapped.

Displaying armor was never in the books, though yes, granted, you'd need to do each type of character separately, though enemy types tend to use the same weapons always (the lootable ones, anyway). Draaj soldiers always carry bone swords and bows, halflings always slings, etc. Also, interestingly enough we don't see actual melee attacks in the trailer. So yes this was scrapped to get it out the door. I'd still be pissed if I saw that trailer before playing the game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Weapon sprites eh? ... That reminds me of games like The Summoning (also SSI) that had an assortment of sprites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom