Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ubisoft may delete accounts if inactive for six months, under GDPR

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...that a user lost,(GDPR) policy under scrutiny.

Ubisoft may delete accounts if inactive for six months, under GDPR

"We may suspend or close your account - where your account has been inactive for more than six months."

Reports that a user lost hundreds of pounds worth of games from their account has put Ubisoft’s general data protection regulation (GDPR) policy under scrutiny.
According to an investigation by PC World, a Norwegian player has had their Ubisoft account and all their games permanently deleted after less than two years of inactivity. They claim to have received just one e-mail warning of the impending deletion which was sent to their spam.

oh no, watch out for your mmx disappearing before they patch it!

Ryzer

Arcane
They really don't want people to buy their games...
They think this will encourage people playing their piece of shit repetitive games but they are so half-assed that nobody plays them intensively, therefore their account remains inactive.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
would be nice to understand how steam 3rd store linkin works in this case.
You own a game x, try to install/launch it -> then you get error in uplay or whatever is the name of the store after rebranding?
Would you be able to get refund from steam?

Ryzer

Arcane
would be nice to understand how steam 3rd store linkin works in this case.
You own a game x, try to install/launch it -> then you get error in uplay or whatever is the name of the store after rebranding?
Would you be able to get refund from steam?
You get a "Fuck you " from Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Norfleet

This is just a weird case. I mean, inactivity purges of junk accounts is pretty normal, but they CLAIM they won't delete any account with paid-for goods attached to it, so it makes you wonder what happened here. Did they fuck up somehow?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
This is just a weird case. I mean, inactivity purges of junk accounts is pretty normal, but they CLAIM they won't delete any account with paid-for goods attached to it, so it makes you wonder what happened here. Did they fuck up somehow?
He probably had only "on the house" games on his account.

who knows really.
per pcworld
Tor told PCWorld he was able to reset the password, but eventually learned the account had been closed, taking several hundred dollars of purchased games with it.

anyway, perhaps he did pay for his games, but all titles that he owned were eventually offered for free for limited period of time? As such faulty script could flag him for deletion.

in article they do state that your account can be nuked per legal terms at a whim. THey do not mention which country this expertise is based on however. EU got power to void many weird things.

This case(provided there will be update) might get interesting since deletions will eventually happen to services

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I play the Division 2 now and again. It's fun for what it is. Most of their games are basically the same game reskinned though and any time I go into their launcher, I get annoyed that I gave them money.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
in the original pcgamer article ubisoft seems to imply this isn't their policy and they only delete accounts with no games attached
pcworld. Where they cite actual policy (that user agrees to) stating that it is the case.

What ubisoft did was to share their internal rules that are to be in effect
  • The gaming activity of the account since its creation.
  • The ownership of PC games since the creation of the account: accounts tied to purchased games are not eligible for deletion
  • The duration of inactivity of the account, meaning the last login to our ecosystem (including from Ubisoft games on Steam and other platforms). While our Terms of Use are meant to reflect every possibilities, in practice, we have never deleted accounts that have been inactive for less than 4 years.
  • The existence of an active subscription to Ubisoft + related to the account.

El Presidente

Arcane
Those two newer 2D Rayman games are very fun, that's all I care about really. If I remember correctly one of them is attached to an Ubi account. Last time I launched it was many years ago, I'll check later if they fucked me up.

ferratilis

Magister
As long as they make Rayman Legends DRM-free, they can nuke my account. Origins is already on GOG, so are PoP games, Silent Hunter 3 can be bought easily on Steam and doesn't require Uplay, as well as Splinter Cell games (the ones worth playing, at least). MMX was fixed. It's just Rayman Legends and Valiant Hearts that have DRM. That's it when it comes to Ubisoft games anyone should care about. Everything else can be safely flushed down the toiler.

Monolith

Prophet
Ubisoft needs to pull off at least one self-sabotaging stunt per year. Otherwise they would not be a French company now, would they?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
As long as they make Rayman Legends DRM-free, they can nuke my account. Origins is already on GOG, so are PoP games, Silent Hunter 3 can be bought easily on Steam and doesn't require Uplay, as well as Splinter Cell games (the ones worth playing, at least). MMX was fixed. It's just Rayman Legends and Valiant Hearts that have DRM. That's it when it comes to Ubisoft games anyone should care about. Everything else can be safely flushed down the toiler.

Silent Hunter 3/4 cannot be played under Windows 7/10/11 which sucks, it's still the best uboat game ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom