Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FriendlyMerchant

The CHAD Pierre
>Extremely difficult but nearly complete campaign on KS release
>Handmade engine that's not just a knock off of Unity
>20 Unique classes though not all equally effective including the CHADiator, CHADmurai, CHADnks, and CHADadins
>Races and Subraces have advantages and disadvantage as well as unique stat ranges
>3.5 OGL
>Best AI in industry--unsurpassed since 2007
>Regular updates with new content and features, and bug fixes
>sprites
>Combat game
>Sequel to Knights of the Chalice
>Posts videos of personally playing all fights
>Libertarian book now free to download

Yr16HJx.png

The virgin Larian
>Bioware dialogue/cutscene simulator knockoff
>Muh waifus
>Invasion of the body snatchers knock off
>5e
>mobile game style drag'n'drop barrelmancy ripped entirely from DOS2
>3dpd
>(((WotC)))
>can't keep a schedule
>Cuckoldry

oCLpFBh.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They are actually known for constantly ignoring the standards of 5E and just copying things from 3.XE and Pathfinder.

And how it is a bad thing?

IEtards deserve to be bullied and the site would be better for it

Yep. How dare someone like Infinity Engine? Says the guy who enjoyed Faggout 69 76

EA released?

In 2020.

TL;DR - KoTC2 is a masterpiece

Amazing post. Sadly Larian cultists can only pick the best of BG3 and compare with the worst of the WoTR to defend their game... I din't played KoTC 2 yet, but by what I've watched in video, it seems like a masterpiece.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Some reviews of the true Baldur's Gate saga from Larian cultists. Just organize by negative only, press PGDN for a couple of seconds then search with CTRL + F "larian" or "divinity" or "DOS" and be happy

4GTffgP.png

7ZDkF79.png

47hveLO.png
Baldur's Gate III hasn't even been released yet, and it's already causing the diminishment of its predecessors. :martini:

FriendlyMerchant

Some reviews of the true Baldur's Gate saga from Larian cultists. Just organize by negative only, press PGDN for a couple of seconds then search with CTRL + F "larian" or "divinity" or "DOS" and be happy

4GTffgP.png

7ZDkF79.png

47hveLO.png
Baldur's Gate III hasn't even been released yet, and it's already causing the diminishment of its predecessors. :martini:

Bioware games were never that good to begin with. BG1+2 were decent at the time. But they're kind of mediocre compared to their contemporaries and a bit overrated. Fallout and Diablo came out a year earlier and both were better games at the time than BG1 and Fallout 2 would come out the same year. Icewind Dale would come out in 2000 with all sorts of improvements that weren't even present in BG2. The same year BG2 came out you got games like Gothic, Wizardry 8, Arcanum, and Diablo II. ToEE in 2003 far exceeded BG1+2 in their degree of implementation of the ruleset as well as being a better game in general. Too bad we'd have to wait till 2007 to get a game with good AI like KotC. Bioware games all aged poorly. The only game that's still going is NWN1 because it has custom modules and a still active server list with plenty of rp servers. I'm tired of storyfags thinking Bioware was ever a good developer when all of their games have dogshit gameplay.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only game that's still going is NWN1 because it has custom modules and a still active server list with plenty of rp servers.
According to last year's survey, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were respectively the 2nd and 5th most replayed RPGs of 2020 here on the Codex.

Obviously we mean nothing in the gran scheme of things, but at least in our niche environment those two games are definitely "still going".

Codex Year of the Donut
The only game that's still going is NWN1 because it has custom modules and a still active server list with plenty of rp servers.
According to last year's survey, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were respectively the 2nd and 5th most replayed RPGs of 2020 here on the Codex.

Obviously we mean nothing in the gran scheme of things, but at least in our niche environment those two games are definitely "still going".
More must be done to eliminate the IEfags before they take root.
Going to go reinforce the wrathtranny thread with more material.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Delterius

Arcane

BG2 has been in the Codex top3 basically ever since we polled such things
If popular means good, I have some piles of shit that are really popular with flies for you.

Where am I saying popular means good? I was correcting your misnomer that IE-fans hadn't already taken root
next we'll show rusty that there's a jrpg forum

CodexTotalWar

Learned
They are actually known for constantly ignoring the standards of 5E and just copying things from 3.XE and Pathfinder.

Didn't say if it was good or bad. Just that what you presented wasn't correct.

They are actually known for constantly ignoring the standards of 5E and just copying things from 3.XE and Pathfinder

Basically all third party makers except a couple of homebrewers suck (KibblesTasty's stuff is some of the best resource material for 5E period). However, Kobold Press did make the best magic item resource for 5E in existence, so they got my hat tip for that alone. It's the only limited physical edition I own of anything Kickstarted (normally I just get .pdfs).

I'm not super familiar with their products (haven't really used it) - what's this magic item resource? The Vault of Magic? I do dabble in DMing, and having resources for more fun, creative magic items never hurts.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Well. Did you read the book? Since we've basically derailed this thread so many times. You might as well give us a review about Pierre's book.
Ok I just read the entire book. It was pretty good. Pierre is clearly an economist and his strongest arguments all revolve around his economic analysis. Unfortunately he seems to largely ignore possible social reasons behind things. For example he claims that the lesser spending on public schools is why places like Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan have greater literacy in the field of math. But that ignores the extreme pressure on kids to perform and the long study sessions that are known to occur in those countries.

The weakest part of the book is the chapter on justice, where he concludes that the best and sole way to reduce crime is by having violent/harsh punishment. "If Detroit adopted judicial caning as it is practiced in Singapore, Detroit could eliminate most of its crime in a matter of months." Now I'm not an expert on the justice system but this seems quite silly to me. The reason death is a more effective punishment than jail is because jail reduces a criminals ability to engage with society when they get out of it. In reality losing a decade or more of your life is a much harsher punishment than getting caned. He is correct however that the death penalty removes all chance of reoffending, obviously. His economic points on the justice system are valid however.

7/10 book overall. Hopefully BG3 is as good as "You have the right to be taxed," by Pierre Begue

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Infinity Engine is overrated however, the worst infinity engine game(siege of the dragonspear) still way better than anything launched by Larian.

popular means good,

He din't said "it is popular, so is good", he said "still going".

We will soon live in a world that has forgotten RTwP ever existed. I for one can't wait.
Truly, the blessed times.

Yep. Every good setting that TSR made is forgiven(no more dark sun, mystara, birthright, spelljammer, etc), if not destroyed(ravenloift) the lore also was destroyed, the ruleset is dumbed down to the extreme and soon all races will gonna be the same, dangerous and iconic enemies are being dumbed down, all story and novels being destroyed, the amount and quality of CRPG's adapting the original game is worse than ever(...) but who cares? We have a turn based game with slower animation speed than Wizardry 8. Now seriously, if you wanna try a turn based game and since you said that you are tired of medieval angloland, why not try the Dark Sun Saga? Is TURN BASED, so you can have fun with it. And no, the game is not magecentric. Even the second one which has lv cap = 15, scrolls are very expensive and rare and magical weapons are quite strong. Resting is also very limited in some places. I suggest that at least half of your party will be martial.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Didn't say if it was good or bad. Just that what you presented wasn't correct.

They are actually known for constantly ignoring the standards of 5E and just copying things from 3.XE and Pathfinder

Basically all third party makers except a couple of homebrewers suck (KibblesTasty's stuff is some of the best resource material for 5E period). However, Kobold Press did make the best magic item resource for 5E in existence, so they got my hat tip for that alone. It's the only limited physical edition I own of anything Kickstarted (normally I just get .pdfs).

I'm not super familiar with their products (haven't really used it) - what's this magic item resource? The Vault of Magic? I do dabble in DMing, and having resources for more fun, creative magic items never hurts.

Yep, Vault of Magic. It's basically Magic Item Compendium from 3.5 but made for 5E. As with all third party it's not perfect, but it's damned great. And it shores up one of 5E's two major shortcomings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom