Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Rome Released

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Haven't played it but that definitely gives more context to why there's such a backlash to this issue at the moment. Still you can basically just add that game to the list of games mentioned in the next paragraph of my post and the point still stands.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't get what all the brouhaha is about, this game is totally historically accurate, right down to the snarky tooltips on the options menu.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In Nethergate you either play as band of blue painted savages and can include wombyn as Druid/Medic type (she still has dress on and not running around with bare chest and pants as warriors did) or play as Roman Legion concubarium and roll four guys also there is no single female character in Roman fort there, there are some in Mixed Romano-British town nearby and IRC you can hire female merc there, Its still silly and not acurate but you not forced to play as bunch of loosers, savages and cucks led by wombyn so...

Joyvankek

Learned
In Nethergate you either play as band of blue painted savages and can include wombyn as Druid/Medic type (she still has dress on and not running around with bare chest and pants as warriors did) or play as Roman Legion concubarium and roll four guys also there is no single female character in Roman fort there, there are some in Mixed Romano-British town nearby and IRC you can hire female merc there, Its still silly and not acurate but you not forced to play as bunch of loosers, savages and cucks led by wombyn so...

Ah yes Spiderweb Software. These guys made Geneforge, decent game imo.(Only played the first one, so far.)
I didn't saw any kind of western propaganda infection there either.

Joyvankek

Learned
It's a bit racist how there are only black and white praetorians. Where are the Greeks?
Nah that's REEEverse racismus. According to current idiotology whites are sub-humans hence they don't need representation, and shouldn't be allowed to breed.
I think I saw ideologies/religions like that before... One came from people with long noses, funny small hats and who like rubbing their hands a little too much and the other one, came from people that like weird mustaches, have fetish for living in totalitarian states and like to drink beer from shoes.

azimuth

Educated
Once again, a mechanically solid, deep, indie turn-based CRPG is hated by the Codex, of all places, because of politics.

I can understand being disappointed that this is more a fantasy game than a historical game. It doesn't even pretend to be truly historical -- the timeline and events of the game are mostly fictional. But this isn't the Codex that rejected mass-market big publisher pop-a-mole nonsense in the pre-indie era.

No, this is an indie, TURN-BASED CRPG -- literally the opposite of the consolized corporate popamole we hated 15 years ago. This is the kind of gameplay the old Codex wanted more of. It's a good game in a classic mold.

Bring back 2013 Codex.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It doesn't even pretend to be truly historical

Shut the fuck up, aren't retards like you going to at least change their brain-dead points. For someone that is talking about 2013 Codex your post reek of something straight from Gamespot or some other equally intolerable shithole.

TURN-BASED CRPG

This guy is Infinitron 2, just everything that is turn based is CRPG now.

Vatnik Wumao
How is this not a CPRG, BlackAdderBG?

Is there a single game mechanic that is not about combat in this game?
The base upgrade stuff, not that I see how that is relevant for anything.

You have a party-based combat system, equippable items and skill points to invest as you level up your characters (albeit the system is indeed rudimentary). And on the storyfag aspect of the game, you have the typical Infinity era dialogue tree and some side quests here and there in various hubs.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Stealth mechanic, stealing mechanic, any persuasion/charisma based mechanic, morality mechanic etc. anything that is not directly combat related or should I say is "rolepaying" related. Even your character is just a generic NPC skills wise so the game doesn't even have character creation. The battles are series of scripted encounters with arbitrary rules that are close to puzzles.

edit: Also not sure there is a party in this game or just 5 other generic NPCs, my Men of War squad is more of a party than that.

Vatnik Wumao
Stealth mechanic, stealing mechanic, any persuasion/charisma based mechanic, morality mechanic etc.
Not all CPRGs have those either.

And theoretically you have the equivalent of a persuasion mechanic. Only that instead of persuasion and intimidation, you have ethos, pathos and logos.

jackofshadows

Magister
No, this is an indie, TURN-BASED CRPG -- literally the opposite of the consolized corporate popamole we hated 15 years ago. This is the kind of gameplay the old Codex wanted more of. It's a good game in a classic mold.
Except it's not indie, pull your head out of your ass. But even if it were, what's up with "lets excuse anything just because it's turn-based cRPG"? Including sjw pandering, ffs. Because as it has been pointed out above, diversity shit looks exactly like pandering since it doesn't have real gameplay implications like in a proper cRPG.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ah yes Spiderweb Software. These guys made Geneforge, decent game imo.(Only played the first one, so far.)
I didn't saw any kind of western propaganda infection there either.

Nethergate is old title I would not hold my thumbs and expect their never titles to be as based and historically correct as oppose to politically correct Comrade if you played as Romans you could not use magic aside from magic gear later but your combat skills and gear were of higher quality Comrade thats really nailed the point and made Roman and Celtic playthrous different.

Also got rated as retarded for pointing out how much reatardo thing is to push modern western liberast agenda onto game about Management of Roman Legion and young patrician cursum honorum, take a black dick in ass and die of AIDS azimuth What a Jupiter damned simp.

I would say keep this shit in fantasy games but still remember playing fantasy games where the races and sexes had different stats like Morrowind and where playing with Romans I was not forced to play with wombyn generals and black legionaires like RTW or Caesar series.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The game has a stealth mechanic, but its so badly integrated I wish it didn't have it.
At any rate, its more roleplaying than Icewind Dale or nu-XCOM, and I've seen these called RPGs on the Codex, so quit whining.
I have issue with the big battlefields, where you either set up defensive positions or move forwards and clean up. This works well with RANGED WEAPONS in the new XCOM, but it works bad in this mostly melee game. Smaller battlefields would've been better, or dividing encounters so that there's an out-of-combat segment between groups, and thus each encounter is a smaller, more concentrated battlefield.

Joyvankek

Learned
Can we take a moment and appreciate the W7 support?
:troll:

You some kind of poorfag? Your potato still stuck on W7?

Get a job loser, oh wait you're a musician. Just kill yourself instead.
Treating being on botnet 10 as some symbol of status and not sad choice if one wants to be gaming without all the shit that gaming on linux comes with.
How about you follow your own advice and go dive from a skyscraper?

Can you write that in English, please? Did you recommend Linux or what happened there.
rating_lulz.gif
No, I've said that being proud of having to use Botnet/Windows 10 is retarded, and if linux would support gaming I would have fully migrated by now, I also said that you are retarded and should follow your own advice.
Is this more clear to you? Or do you want to switch to polish for further discussion?

Botnet 10, I get it now. How is that worse than Botnet 7 by Micro$haft or Botnet 11?

Did you think Botnet 7 didn't have telemetry?
rating_lulz.gif

Come on, are you ten and is this 1998?

Do you have a phone? Does it use Android?
If you don't think that botnet 10 is much worse than botnet 7 when it comes to micro$hit spyware, then I dunno what to tell you, there are programs that do turn most of this off on both of those OS, but I doubt they do turn off all the spyware that is on those systems. On top of that we have botnet 11 that's on it's merry way to turn your pc into console(secure boot and TMP 2.0) where you will be able to use only the "correct" OS and nothing else, on top of that it will be micro$hit that will decide what's safe and what isn't, not the user. People already run it on VM, so in worst case scenario I will do just that.
We can agree that both of them suck ass. Sadly I do have android, cause there is no alternative to that, unless you want to run with old nokia or other ancient phone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom