Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Rome Released

GloomFrost

Arcane
really foolish to have expected something of this, can't believe so many people fell for it
Well people "fell for it" mostly because two previous expedition games were honestly not too shabby. Shame the franchise had to end like this :(.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, I'm no racist, but this is quite a bit jarring, not because of "historical accuracy", but because it flies in the face of what you expect from an "ancient Roman setting". I know that all "historical" TV shows are wildly inaccurate, but still, they don't go and replace Vikings with Eskimos, for instance...

I find it *highly* unlikely that ancient Romans were not racist towards all different looking and behaving foreigners (because pretty much every nation in the world was), and this article seems to back that up:

The modern assertion that Romans were not racist focuses on black sub-Saharan Africans. Unfortunately it is wishful thinking. Black people were seen as funny and grotesque. Bath houses were decorated with mosaics portraying black attendants with exaggerated curly hair, thick lips, and enormous penises. The depictions were apotropaic; intended to divert the evil eye, or any lurking demons, by provoking laughter. Yet worse, black people were considered inauspicious. One morning when the emperor Septimius Severus – who himself it is often implausibly claimed was black – met a black man, he took it is an omen of death. The depth of Roman racism is revealed, along with the others it was unlucky to meet at the start of the day: eunuchs and monkeys.
(source)

By the way, historical accuracy is a tricky thing in some respects. Not so long ago I learned that all those very elegant and minimalistic looking Greek and Roman marble statues and stone buildings were in fact painted. The more garish, the better, because colour symbolised wealth. The same goes for clothing; all wealthy Roman citizens wore the most colourful and garish attire they were able to afford. Well, I am still not very happy about this... But in some way it doesn't really matter what the historical truth is, as all "historical" entertainment is in a large part just fantasy ("historically *inspired*" is a much better term).

https://theancienthome.com/blogs/blog-and-news/greek-roman-statues-painted

https://www.romaexperience.com/post/the-colours-of-ancient-rome

e41b5c_ce14d9d9426e4b8c8e10e0cbd4a83f48~mv2.jpg

Vatnik Wumao
I find it *highly* unlikely that ancient Romans were not racist towards all different looking and behaving foreigners (because pretty much every nation in the world was), and this article seems to back that up
Adding to that article, I also recc this article (and the broader series of which it is a part).

Moreover, even once a people had come under Rome’s protection and even received Roman citizenship, that didn’t mean that other Roman elites immediately dropped their bigotry. Quite to the contrary, Romans complained bitterly about the presence of ethnic outsiders – even those with Roman citizenship – at Rome, often in extremely vile and bigoted terms. As noted already, Suetonius records the snobbish Roman reaction to the introduction of a handful of elites from Cisalpine Gaul into the Senate couched in ethnic terms (Seut. Caes. 80.1). But that was hardly the worst of it. Roman literature, particularly among the satirists (but hardly exclusive to them) drips with direct and blatent ethnic bigotry. Take Martial’s (c. 40 – c. 104 AD) indictment of a woman who dared to romance with foreigners (Martial, Epigrams 7.30):

You give it up for Parthians, for Germans, Caelia, for Dacians too.
Nor do you spurn the beds of Cilicians or Cappadocians
A fellow sailing from Memphis,
and Black Indians from the Red Sea fuck you;
Nor do you flee from the shaved cocks of Jews
Nor does the Alani pass you by on his Sarmatian Horse.
Why is it, when you are a Roman girl,
that no Roman cocks can please you?

10/10

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I find it *highly* unlikely that ancient Romans were not racist towards all different looking and behaving foreigners

yup, as all empires were

so to have black senators is really ridicilous, im not even sure they had black legionnaires

but you know its the same as that other game about slavic mythology which had black people everywhere. clown world

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Everything you need to know about this piece of shit in five screenshots.

zwYDKZl.png

XKxfe5D.png

5E2B578D89A2869893B649AAD40B5F8C41CB88CD

F5DBE7C27BDE5813812BCD6E0131363D5AAD743C

4FF86BE0BB7F0A0D79120FB41CE16FA056C9C377

:hero:

edit: spoilered by infinitron in under a minute due to shame.

A smaller shot to give you an idea without clogging the thread:

1oR0zDn.png
Nervous Liberalis looks like an Aboriginal. I didn't realize the Romans got that far.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well people "fell for it" mostly because two previous expedition games were honestly not too shabby. Shame the franchise had to end like this :(.

Only the first was good

It had wombyn Conquistadors and not in historic exceptions sense but 50% of soldiers and also noble savages and black legend galore I prefer to play fantasy games than historical ones who are full of fiction and woke shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Only the first was good

Dude, you are such a phony. You complain about strategy metagame "system bloat" in every game and now you're saying the only good Expeditions was the one that had the most of that? You're just repeating what you think the Codex cool people consensus is, and you constantly do this.

Play the demo!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Imagine playing a demo of this trash lol. Dialogue is some of the worst I have ever seen + these 2D paper dolls are making it look cheap af. Someone actually might mistake this for some mobile F2P turd. Combat could be the saving factor (?) but already heard people say it's tedious, slow and boring.

Also apparently killing enemies gives no exp, this is Soyer-level retardation and the devs should be shot in the head.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Imagine playing a demo of this trash lol. Dialogue is some of the worst I have ever seen + these 2D paper dolls are making it look cheap af. Someone actually might mistake this for some mobile F2P turd. Combat could be the saving factor (?) but already heard people say it's tedious, slow and boring.

Also apparently killing enemies gives no exp, this is Soyer-level retardation and the devs should be shot in the head.

you are not trying hard enough, please improve your shtick

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The ape-men portrait thing is a weird decision but other than that, the game is pretty good so far.

Enjoying the combat and the RPG parts so far, still can't speak as to the Legion Management stuff yet. I've done two fights and no upgrades to the camp yet.

Utfärd

The ape-men portrait thing is a weird decision but other than that, the game is pretty good so far.

Enjoying the combat and the RPG parts so far, still can't speak as to the Legion Management stuff yet. I've done two fights and no upgrades to the camp yet.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Those are some gigantic tits on cleopatra. At least they gave that before dissolving into the amazing brave new world that will be streaming and pyramid scheme nfts.

Joyvankek

Learned
Got the first two games viking and the one where(I hope) you can purge locals and take their gold away, in heavy sale.
No point getting the Rome one, since they decided to went full historical revisionism. At that point, I prefer to play proper fantasy RPG, at least I can into magic.
96NB79sdD0s.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK tried this game rolled a wombyn cause its current year... and... First scene introduced centurio OK, Young Caesar OK, he did fought against pirates and... Kang from Mauretanina cause Maur means he needs to be black Yes? Checked the sources and they claim there were white and also nigger Mauri back then north of Africa so OK not likely and he was ex Gladiator and but why not make it my family slave.... Oh Current Year strikes Again! but then... I was brought to camp and given armor, weapons and command as unmarried Roman Patrician Girl, got some quest to get Caesar back but cause its current year had to pay for it instead of using my char secret weapon, M'Kay rolled Patrician Man, same Kang, same way to complete quests, killed the traitor this time, got special assignment instead of safe tribune desk job, OK it did happened as young Tiberius Gragho was the first on the walls of Carthage and Caesar also fought in first rank if need so, and then mean strange looking Roman Special forces member... Uhmm OK its special forces archer so maybe it somehow plausible at least she is not front line legionary. Dialogues are so so aside from bossing plebs around, combat getting boring when on higher difficulty which makes enemies onto HP sponges, game is not as bad as some of you are saying it is but also not something worth paying full price neither.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom