Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mods for old games that ruin original developers' game vision & design

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
I knew a girl who looked exactly like that. Her name was Gail and she was the best friend of my middle sister in her teens (I almost got to see Gail naked when I was 9 or 10 once but my sister chased me out of her room). Gail eventually became one of those little old ladies with mental health issues that lived in a little house she got in her divorce settlement that would always be sitting on her front stoop, watching the world go by. Always. In fact, when Google Maps went around and did their 3D photography of her neighborhood, she's actually seen sitting there on her stoop in Google Maps, watching the world go by. True story, bros.

Now, it's just cruel to not include a hint as to how see that pictue.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mods or even officially released products without this are useless, imo.
Yeah this is a big problem and not exclusive to mods. Starfleet Command lets you go to 1280x1024 by default without any mods, even back in 2000, but the game is virtually unplayable at this resolution because everything is so tiny. I ended up playing at 1024x768 just so I could see what the menus do.

I remember the Fallout HD mod early on not handling small areas well if the entire area fit within the resolution, it put me off using it but I think this was fixed later on. If these kinds of problems are taken care of and proper UI scaling is implemented I don't think I mind the high res mods that much. I certainly enjoy having higher resolution in Doom engine games, but I do play with source port settings to get everything scaling nicely.

Camel

Scholar
All of Beamdog’s “Enhanced editions” and the Siege of Dragonspear. It amounts to vandalism of old games.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
Mods or even officially released products without this are useless, imo.
Yeah this is a big problem and not exclusive to mods. Starfleet Command lets you go to 1280x1024 by default without any mods, even back in 2000, but the game is virtually unplayable at this resolution because everything is so tiny. I ended up playing at 1024x768 just so I could see what the menus do.

I remember the Fallout HD mod early on not handling small areas well if the entire area fit within the resolution, it put me off using it but I think this was fixed later on. If these kinds of problems are taken care of and proper UI scaling is implemented I don't think I mind the high res mods that much. I certainly enjoy having higher resolution in Doom engine games, but I do play with source port settings to get everything scaling nicely.
Not sure if UI scaling was just an unresolvable technical problem in the past, but it seems like HUDs were made for fairly low resolutions that were intended to be the default (scaling not being a problem with C.R.T.s and performance limiting how high one could reasonably go), as with all the early shooters where the HUD elements were large and clear only at 320x200, then 640x480, and so on. GLQuake did have HUD scaling prior to Quake II, though, but I guess Carmack gave up on it because it just didn't look good.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I actually don't like things too sharp. Though 960 X 540 is perfect for something like classic Fallout for modern widescreen aspect ratios, it's so razor-sharp on my 1920X1080 flat-panel display that I still have to use a texture filter factor of 2 (default in new mods like Fallout Sonora and looks like a very soft, barely noticeable bilinear filter) with the HD mod. Otherwise that low-res art looks jarring. We sure didn't have these issues with good ol' CRTs on 14"-17" monitors.

mondblut

Arcane
"original developers' game vision & design" are overrated anyway. Developers are not fucking Michelangelos and there is nothing sacred and untouchable about their products. Stay calm and mod them to death.

schru

Arcane
But unmodified Bethesda games are a rite of passage for the Codex.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
QE0iR9k.jpeg

This facial expression perfectly captures my feelings on HD texture mods.

I knew a girl who looked exactly like that. Her name was Gail and she was the best friend of my middle sister in her teens (I almost got to see Gail naked when I was 9 or 10 once but my sister chased me out of her room). Gail eventually became one of those little old ladies with mental health issues that lived in a little house she got in her divorce settlement that would always be sitting on her front stoop, watching the world go by. Always. In fact, when Google Maps went around and did their 3D photography of her neighborhood, she's actually seen sitting there on her stoop in Google Maps, watching the world go by. True story, bros.

Pics or gtfo.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

This facial expression perfectly captures my feelings on HD texture mods.

Pics or gtfo.
My sister has the screenshot on her phone of Google Maps (street perspective) showing Gail on her stoop. We both had a huge laugh about it. It's not a close up of course but it's definitely her. I'll ask her for it next time I see her. But keep in mind that Gail is not that hot young thot anymore I tried to sneak a peak at naked when she was 17 in 1969-1970. She a little old bespectacled lady that's a bit touched in the head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom