Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What would we call Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Warriors of the Eternal Sun? Black Box? (I didn't include Al-qadim as it plays more like a video game but maybe I should include Order of the Griffon.
d6e26179-87f2-4ab9-a180-67c7e35d066d.png

57d860bc-5fd8-46a1-a5d5-adae5990d193.png

0b6d8953-bd67-4788-bc9e-e053515aea4b.png

96abb7ed-0d93-44b0-8063-05a7ab038f94.png

74f4df05-a7d0-4417-b5c9-f19ed4873f24.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Aside from the Finder's Stone trilogy, are there any other series worth reading?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels

I would recommend the early works of RA Salvatore.

Namely the Dark Elf Trilogy and after that the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Good old eighties forgotten realm novels.

I only read the first Drizzt book and it definitely did not tempt me to read the rest.

Well, maybe my judgement is a little bit misty eyed because I read them in my youth 25 years ago.

Or maybe you simply have bad taste.

That must be it.

Null Null

Arbiter
From what I've read the Dark Sun games are unappreciated gems and the Spelljammer game is awful.

My guess is the interest in CRPGs had moved elsewhere by the early to mid 90s and nobody was bothering with analogies. Also with just two dark sun games you weren't going to have the excitement around it, plus TSR kind of blew it at that point with lousy games (Menzoberranzan apparently used the Descent engine and it didn't go well) and nobody was caring that much.

I'm sure someone else here knows more than me.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah they were. I didn't include the non-tactical games although, EYE1 was tactical on the gameboy advance.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still recall the magazine buzz around the game when it first came out. Good times.

I forgot about the Legend title.
SSI/TSR HISTORY

Couple vids that were probably already put up:

I keep forgetting the spelljammer used the engine albeit it was a mess.
Of course you need to watch this video before playing.

I'm sure that was the real inspiration for BG3 no matter what anyone says.

Last edited:

RPK

Scholar
From what I've read the Dark Sun games are unappreciated gems and the Spelljammer game is awful.

My guess is the interest in CRPGs had moved elsewhere by the early to mid 90s and nobody was bothering with analogies. Also with just two dark sun games you weren't going to have the excitement around it, plus TSR kind of blew it at that point with lousy games (Menzoberranzan apparently used the Descent engine and it didn't go well) and nobody was caring that much.

I think you're thinking of Descent to Undermountain. Mezeberranzan used the same engine as the two Ravenloft games.

Null Null

Arbiter

I think you're thinking of Descent to Undermountain. Mezeberranzan used the same engine as the two Ravenloft games.

Ah, thank you.

There was no Silver Blades novel. There were novels for Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds (Azure Bonds), and Pools of Darkness. There were modules for Pool of Radiance (Ruins of Adventure) and Curse of the Azure Bonds (same name). After Curse they dropped the multimedia marketing strategy, more or less.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, although Curse of the Azure Bonds originated with the novel Azure Bonds by Jeff Grubb, published by TSR in 1988, which became the basis for the adventure module and computer game, both released the following year. :M

Pool of Radiance had received a companion adventure module, FRC1 Ruins of Adventure, in 1988, but it wasn't until late the following year that a tie-in novel was published by TSR, and the sequel Pools of Darkness was similarly published in 1992, one year after the CRPG of the same name.

finders1.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is buggy as fuck and as dar as I know no one even was interested to patch/mod tge game if possible. Sad GBC does NOT work with it. There isn't a UGE module either. Still, it can be completed.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
In the wiki Spelljammer PORS

"Development took a little over a year. The first six months of work was done in Escudero's kitchen. Then SSI called up and said they were coming up to visit. Since Escudero didn't want to look like a low budget outfit he quickly rented a small office, where development was finished. After Spelljammer was finished, Escudero was instrumental in developing a multi-line BBS called Ice Online that ran a custom coded MUD. This turned out to be a quite successful enterprise that would eventually take up the whole floor of the building the original small office was in. EA eventually bought out Ice Online, took all the key employees and closed down the BBS."

EA... go figure!
S2uYGgN.gif

nWCat74.gif

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
rnqaMqN.jpg

Alias

BASIC INFORMATION[7]

NICKNAMES
the hidden lady[1]
the Puppet[2]
the One[3]
the Servant[4]
the Weapon[4]
the Little One[4]
Alias of the Azure Bonds[5]
Alias of Westgate[6]

HOME
the Lost Vale, Dalelands; Cormyr[6]

FORMER HOME(S)
Westgate

SEX
Female

RACE
Human (construct)

OCCUPATION
Sellsword (Living Sex Doll)

KNOWN
LANGUAGE(S)

Common, Saurial

Yep, the realms one and only Real Doll.

edit..... she's noted for blondidh-red hair in a few descriptions. Ok... i thought red only
agXNDXS.jpg

LgYlTb4.jpg
iMrjDHv.jpg

MaRTpd3.jpg

zzeDfyX.jpg

iq4tWEc.jpg

4A1JhEI.jpg

oh Alias... they might
Swamp%2BThing.jpg

iiScf0b.gif

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
Supposedly in the original Azure Bonds novel they had her wear it so they could kill her easily if she tried to escape.

I suspect the picture came first and the bit in the novel later.

Erebus

Arcane
Supposedly in the original Azure Bonds novel they had her wear it so they could kill her easily if she tried to escape.

I suspect the picture came first and the bit in the novel later.

It seems extremely likely. I can vaguely remember the authors of trilogy poking fun at the absurd design of that chainmail.

Not that I really cared, because the absurdity is outweighed by the sexiness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom