Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thought he never interacted with Steam forum.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I've finally started playing Queen's Wish 1 beyond the demo area and I take everything I said earlier about it sucking back. It's light years better than the Avadons, and if you don't count the Avernum and Geneforge remakes, it's his best new game since Geneforge 5:

• It seems overly simplistic at first as he removed the stat system. However, that's deceptive, as he basically just shunted the stat system off to the weapon mods. On top of this, there are several different races that unlock later in the game, allowing you to create lots of crazy hybrid builds. It's nice that you can re-do skills infinitely (although, probably not great for role playing), as it allows you to completely rebuild your party depending on the fight you're facing. Like, you can do an evasion build Mage, or a bleed build evasion character, or a hybrid mage/warrior, Or a bleed archer, or an evasion archer, and etc.
  • The plot and world are actually interesting, despite how bland it seems at first. Once you get out into the various countries, it picks up considerably, with some amount of C&C (not as much as Geneforge 5's elaborate faction system, but way more than in the Avadons and Avernums, which had almost none). The Avadon universe was incredibly bland and generic, with the most shameless bit being one race that was basically just a copy-paste of Native Americans, complete with all the tedious, one-note, "noble savage" stereotypes. Queen's Wish's factions are more interesting and have more of the grey areas that the Geneforge games had.
  • The Fort management aspect also isn't as simplistic as it first seems. It's still very difficult to truly fuck it up, so it's not exactly complex, per se, but if you go in and blindly build a bunch of offensive shit, you will hit a dead end at some point and end up going broke.
  • I love the new, "You have to beat the dungeons in one go" system. It cuts out all the bullshit of constantly running back to a city to heal and makes you strategize a bit more to conserve your resources. It's a good way to affect difficulty without merely adding another difficulty setting.
I really regret missing the Queen's Wish 2 kick started as I would have liked to support it, but oh well.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, I have to say this is Vogel at his absolute best. Fantastic game. I'm 70 hours into it and still have more to do. It's extremely well designed, satisfying and rewarding to progress. Recommended. :)

Been playing this and I do like some of the changes in it, but I don't know what happened to the damn writing. Avadon isn't that thrilling for example but Queen's Wish feels way too lifeless and dead for a cool concept of a prince being sent off to reconquer some province. It's not too much of a drawback since the game's fine as some casual laid back RPGing and the small "Dungeons" mean the game lends itself well to that, but it'd be nice if it was played straighter. Or hell, if he leaned into the cheese more. Seeing more bad jokes and silliness in this compared to his other games, could've been interesting if he went for that a bit more. The weird thing with Spiderweb games is I always seem to eventually enjoy them even if I end up bitching about them. They always feel close enough to SOMETHING, the nature of the something varying from game to game, but not quite reaching it. I suppose they're similar to Pillars of Eternity in that way even though PoE gets me angrier with the wasted potential whereas another Vogel game just makes me think OH, YOU.

Zeriel

Arcane
That's the thing with Exile 1-3. I don't think they're close to something, they ARE that something. Then after that... what can we say? He lost his mind? He's just so damn tired? Only Vogel knows in his heart of hearts what happened, but man oh man did something happen.

Viata

Arcane
It's weird. His game are and will always be very niche among cRPG fans, which is the opposite of what he wants (like most people making games, they want their game to sell a lot), so perhaps he makes the game simple enough to please the highest number of people, but that will never happen because most people will ignore his game just because of the art itself (Queen's Wish has a very shitty art and that comes from someone that has no problem with the art in Nethergate [I like it in fact]). He should either just stop making games or go back to make games like the old ones, and no, not remakes.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's weird. His game are and will always be very niche among cRPG fans, which is the opposite of what he wants (like most people making games, they want their game to sell a lot), so perhaps he makes the game simple enough to please the highest number of people, but that will never happen because most people will ignore his game just because of the art itself (Queen's Wish has a very shitty art and that comes from someone that has no problem with the art in Nethergate [I like it in fact]). He should either just stop making games or go back to make games like the old ones, and no, not remakes.

I think Vogel gave up chasing popular acclaim a long time ago. He's just doing what he likes and apparently that means mostly remastering his old stuff.

Harthwain

Magister
I think Vogel gave up chasing popular acclaim a long time ago. He's just doing what he likes and apparently that means mostly remastering his old stuff.
Or it's just the form of a pension - remaster the old stuff so you can keep paying the bills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom