Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you would never play based on the title alone.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Non-adventure games that use the word quest in their title. Especially the dozen or so that just use "Quest". Actually, any game that uses a basic feature or item of the genre its supposed to be. "Gun", "Journal", "Silver".
Games that have someone's name before the title and it isn't someone like Sid Meier who actually is that good. They're almost always unrelated to the game except for the massive fee they extracted from the developers for the use of their name.

Cael

Arcane
Any sport "simulator". Just play the f-ing game in real life.

Special mention: FIFA-anything.

Cael

Arcane

And the answer for such thing is "love the game but hate the people". When you love soccer but you hate the players, hate the audience, want to kill refree etc...
You are using a bloody gamepad to "play" a game that you should be playing using real equipment. If you like the damned game so much, go play it, not a simulation of it that has nothing to do with playing it.

The FIFA reference is one that basically says, "Stop giving money to EA, you mouthbreathing fuckheads!"

laclongquan

Arcane

And the answer for such thing is "love the game but hate the people". When you love soccer but you hate the players, hate the audience, want to kill refree etc...
You are using a bloody gamepad to "play" a game that you should be playing using real equipment. If you like the damned game so much, go play it, not a simulation of it that has nothing to do with playing it.

The FIFA reference is one that basically says, "Stop giving money to EA, you mouthbreathing fuckheads!"

DAWG, you are talking to a gamer about running on field, jostling with smelly sweaty jocks... Are you sure you at the right place, talking to the right people?

Cause if people having time for sport would not having time for Codex and games.

Cael

Arcane

DAWG, you are talking to a gamer about running on field, jostling with smelly sweaty jocks... Are you sure you at the right place, talking to the right people?

Cause if people having time for sport would not having time for Codex and games.
Meh. I play badminton regularly and go to the gym 3 days a week. I mess around here as well, usually before bedtime.

I don't know, Dream Daddy I guess.

I feel like the only people that say "just play real sport" are people that have never played any sports. On the other hand, at least when I was in school playing sports, the people that loved playing sports video games the most actually played the sports as well.

curds

Magister
I am put off by colons and subtitles and setting-specific, made-up words that mean nothing to most people.

Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos, for example. It's gibberish if you don't know what Myrtana is.

Nehrim: At Fate's Edge and Enderal: Shards of Order fit, too.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Im not interested in playing a game about relationships instead im looking to play some serious strategy about war and conquest like Crusader Kings.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some of the titles in this thread actually made me want to play the game. The weirder, the better, because I'm a sucker for obscure strange shit. An uninspiring title is ok too if I like the genre - I love tactics so anything with "Tactics" in the title goes on my wishlist.

We need more Something and Whatever Tactics games. We should've been getting a deluge of them post Final Fantasy Tactics that just never stopped, but that's not the case.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shit with random punctuation, X, etc. in the middle of the title for no real reason and words that don't mean anything.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
.hack//G.U. Last Recode
Infinite Undiscovery
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies
Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

Honourable mention (though I did play this): Divine Divinity

NerevarineKing

Learned
Shit with random punctuation, X, etc. in the middle of the title for no real reason and words that don't mean anything.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
.hack//G.U. Last Recode
Infinite Undiscovery
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies
Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

Honourable mention (though I did play this): Divine Divinity

Yes my answer is basically all the Japanese games with silly titles that try to use a bunch of English words. There's so many Kingdom Hearts games that fit this well like 358/2 Days, 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage, 1.5+2.5. But then there's also excessively long titles like Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ever since Final Fantasy III, I have been in love with nonsense translated-from-Japanese (or just plain made up phrase) names. Names like Guilty Gear, Advance Wars, Resident Evil, Tactics Ogre, Legend of Legacy, Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve, there's just a charm about them that you don't get anywhere else. I have played and completed a lot of games like this. I admit that nowadays with so many choices it is much easier to tune out titles if I they aren't immediately comprehensible. Gal☆Gun Double Peace keeps coming up on my Steam sale wishlist though, great nonsense name I may have to play soon.

Resident Evil is the American studio's name; it's the name Capcom USA came up with when they couldn't use Biohazard, and at least made sense when the series was just one game that took place in a house.

Advance Wars makes sense too, it's the Wars series, and it's the one that came out on the Game Boy Advance. It'd be like getting a game called Heroes of Might and Magic XP.

Ahnx

Educated
Pumping Simulator
BBQ Simulator
Farming Simulator
Ship Graveyard Simulator
Gas Station Simulator
Escape Pod Simulator
Junkyard Simulator
Bee Simulator
Bakery Simulator

etc

Humanophage

Arcane
Caves of Qud
Lords of Xulima
What's wrong with those two?

Caves of Qud makes you think of some Middle Eastern caves, which is an interesting setting. Also has an old school tinge. In fact, Arab sounding fantasy games tend to sound appealing, like Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse or Qasir Al-Wasat.
1546510042-2771779224.gif
9dbda50bc131e3813851660dd15d0ef9.png

Lords of Xulima suggests something Latin American, like Xibalba, but also fantasy, probably a strategy or an RPG. Pretty recognisable as well.

SumDrunkGuy

After seeing Ivan's thread I'll say Returnal. Pretty derpy name. If you want to do the gay pun thing and combine the words "return" and "eternal" then at least spell it properly. It should be spelled "Reternal".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom