Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
people who insist on using "crpg" must have gotten lost on their way to crpgcodex.net
You really don’t want to think too hard about why there’s not much PnP talk here (they already had to have friends to get a game together) but nobody acts like talk of Soyer’s TT is out of place or bats an eye at the general opinion that the computer should just have served as a splatbook simulator for PF games.

Desiderius

Patron
From a previous reply:

While it seems like a lost semantic battle at this point, with a lot of people just giving up on the nuance, I'm with Butter about the fact that no matter how the term originated, you can't extend the "CRPG" definition to anything that is "roleplay but as a videogame", otherwise you are going to dilute the term to the point of losing all meaning.
Over the years, the term "CRPG" went to assume a very specific acceptation to indicate a specific type of RPG s. Namely these COMPUTER-centric games usually focused around replicating tabletop mechanics and managing an extended party rather than a single character.
The only reason the term is still used even when limiting the discussion to videogames is precisely to differentiate it from console RPGs/JRPGs/action RPGs and so on.

I won't waste anymore time arguing about a fucking 20 years old topic.
And I won't accept the idiotic idea that "anything running on a computer is CRPG" either, so spare your breath.
Because you’re losing, and in a bad cause you’re not even aware you’re supporting. Closely related to why you’re ruled by degenerate mobsters (and that’s just your Anerican overlords). Have you brought Silvio fully back from the grave yet?

Desiderius

Patron
If it runs on a computer, it's a cRPG, period.
If you're talking about the original tabletop game, then you talking about RPGs.
Basically every JRPG can be played on a computer.
The Witcher 3 is an action RPG that can be played on computers.

Neither of them are "CRPGs".
They're all cRPGs.
JRPGs belong to one subgenre of cRPGs, while action-RPGs (ARPGs) belong to another.

The problem with hijacking the term "cRPG" for some other purpose is that then we're left with no other clear term for "computer role-playing games" to differentiate them from tabletop. Therefore, it's best to leave it just alone. It's a category with a very clear meaning; it's really hard to misunderstand it, so why mess with it?

You can then use the term "oldschool cRPGs" or something for what you're currently referring to as "cRPGs".
You guys sound like shitlibs trying to redefine "a well-regulated militia" :lol:

They're all historical abbreviations for words that meant something different at the time.
1. RPG meant D&D: dice, characters, stats, role playing (making up stories), and usually no tactics.
2. Early computer and console variants copied the mechanics but left out the "role playing".
3. Later computer (PC) variants added grid-based tactical combat.
4. Rogue and roguelikes pared down to a single main character and randomized everything.
5. Diablo and first-person 3D computer/console games added realtime combat.
6. A bunch of fucking spergs hashed and rehashed these dumb genre labels and eventually settled on TTRPG for #1, CRPG for #3, JRPG for #2 because console also starts with C but Japanese console games kept the genre going long after PCs progressed to #3, Roguelike for #4, ARPG for #5, and more (but no one cares).

Only the first has actual role-playing but they're all called RPGs. The rest are all played on computers and/or consoles but that doesn't make them all CRPGs, it makes them.... Video Games.
The shitlibs appeal to present usage (as if that were so easy to pin down even if it were relevant), but that’s not what Rincewind is saying. He’s standing up against the degeneration of language the shitlibs use to undermine those whose creative power they envy and the civilizations (a big part of which is the shared language/meaning that trust, and thus civility, requires) such men can create and recreate (play/gaming comes in here) where they can’t.

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico treads the very ground of the men who gave us more than half the words of our global lingua franca. When they wanted to denote a new thing *they made a new word*. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico and his people can no longer get it up for such things.

Sad.

Desiderius

Patron
Autism is the superpower that gave us the modern world you so cherish. You’d do better to make sure you stop the people trying to medicalize it away and destroy the means we developed over the centuries to channel it into productive uses rather than impotently flailing away in misplaced envy.

World needs good non-autists too. Badly.

Laz Sundays

Educated
We should just call it games or whatever. Since we're already inside a specific thread within a specified section of the forum. No? Myes? I use crpg cause it's a habbit. It ain't a crime. When people react like it's a crime, I become a violent retard - because I'm a deranged autist with mental issues that never learned to control himself. Strong reaction to strong reactions.

I am sane enough to wonder why people take issue with terms if we're already posting inside a "general rpg discussion'. Why blame OP or the posters for adding a c and making drama over it like they did something horrible. They didn't. Jesus.

bionicman

Liturgist
best looking roleplaying rpg game? easy!

WoL-02.jpg

Laz Sundays

Educated
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
cRPGs are RPG computer games intended to be played with a mouse and a keyboard, not a "joy" stick or a game pad or whateverthefuck

Desiderius

Patron
They're all historical abbreviations for words that meant something different at the time.
1. RPG meant D&D: dice, characters, stats, role playing (making up stories), and usually no tactics.
2. Early computer and console variants copied the mechanics but left out the "role playing".
3. Later computer (PC) variants added grid-based tactical combat.
4. Rogue and roguelikes pared down to a single main character and randomized everything.
5. Diablo and first-person 3D computer/console games added realtime combat.
6. A bunch of fucking spergs hashed and rehashed these dumb genre labels and eventually settled on TTRPG for #1, CRPG for #3, JRPG for #2 because console also starts with C but Japanese console games kept the genre going long after PCs progressed to #3, Roguelike for #4, ARPG for #5, and more (but no one cares).

Only the first has actual role-playing but they're all called RPGs. The rest are all played on computers and/or consoles but that doesn't make them all CRPGs, it makes them.... Video Games.
(0) It still means Computer (function > appliance, different in kind not degree). Just because people use painkillers to get wasted out of their minds and ruin their lives that doesn't change the meaning of painkiller.

(1) RPG meant and means Role-playing Game. Role-playing is inherent to civilization itself (Greek drama, Roman triumphs/pageants, medieval morality/passion plays, Kabuki, etc). It's a happy medium between the pure abstraction of things like Go or Chess (early games) and the pure physicality of Athletics, where you compete/play as yourself. At it's best role-playing is the integration of the abstract and concrete, so Gygax added splatbooks to ground fantasy in the real, as did Tolkien with the appendices, while gamers prefer games and pseudonyms to distance themselves from the simple-minded egotism that limits the utility of purely athletic competition. Re-creation is more effective with some depth perception, and the opportunity to see things from the perspective of another engenders social trust. The Death of the Author is a (narcissistic) direct attack on the that process.

(2) No they didn't. Sierra games, MUD modules, the Avatar in Ultima, all featured extensive roleplay. It wasn't all Pong.

(3-5) Combat-faggotry is faggotry because it gets lost in pure abstraction, which defeats at least part of the purpose of the games themselves. You can use a computer to play Go (or just play it with a friend) if that's all you're looking for.

But even in Diablo the combat-faggotry couldn't overcome the tremendous sense of atmosphere that put the player very much into a specific role, whether he wanted to be or not. AAA retards have forgotten how to create that, so you see the revival of Hipster Tabletoppers and pixelated games in protest of the big corps using their muscle to impose the social fads of their decadent class in lieu of making use of the power given them by automated computing.

(6) TTRpg goes hand in hand with CRpg. One uses automated computing, one doesn't. This isn't hard. They all have role-playing, although some do it better than others.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I decided to brofist you anyway, but you walked the line with that "Cyberpunk is an RPG".
Thanks, but yeah I do believe Cyberpunk is an RPG, absolutely. It allows quite a lot of freedom in both gameplay and narrative, both regarding specific quest outcomes as well as the entire story outcome. It is not CRPG and it is not as malleable as, I dunno, Fallout 2 or god forbid Age of Decadence. But it's an RPG.

HOWEVER, when I posted my screenshots, I actually overlooked the "c"rpg part of the thread title. If I didn't, I would have not posted those, because I agree with Tuco that "CRPG" is a subgenre of RPGs that implies isometric or top down camera and more emphasis on character skill over player skill (at the very least).

Desiderius

Patron
I decided to brofist you anyway, but you walked the line with that "Cyberpunk is an RPG".
Thanks, but yeah I do believe Cyberpunk is an RPG, absolutely. It allows quite a lot of freedom in both gameplay and narrative, both regarding specific quest outcomes as well as the entire story outcome. It is not CRPG and it is not as malleable as, I dunno, Fallout 2 or god forbid Age of Decadence. But it's an RPG.

HOWEVER, when I posted my screenshots, I actually overlooked the "c"rpg part of the thread title. If I didn't, I would have not posted those, because I agree with Tuco that "CRPG" is a subgenre of RPGs that implies isometric or top down camera and more emphasis on character skill over player skill (at the very least).
What does that even mean?

We were calling them CRPGs before isometric was even a thing. 23 years? Try 40.

Kruyurk

Learned
best looking roleplaying rpg game? easy!

WoL-02.jpg
I have heard a lot of good from these games, but I am afraid that the amount of white in them would cause eyestrain. I use a pee yellow background on my pdf reader just because the default white is painful. Or maybe I need some yellow gamer glasses, I might even look badass with them.

Is there some graphic option in the game to tune down the white?

gaussgunner

Arcane
(2) No they didn't. Sierra games, MUD modules, the Avatar in Ultima, all featured extensive roleplay. It wasn't all Pong.

(3-5) Combat-faggotry is faggotry because it gets lost in pure abstraction, which defeats at least part of the purpose of the games themselves. You can use a computer to play Go (or just play it with a friend) if that's all you're looking for.
Yes they did! Role-playing isn't passive. It's impossible to make a single-player computer game where you can actively create your own story like in tabletop D&D. You can roleplay in your head but it has zero effect on the game. You have no agency outside of mechanical abstractions. How the hell can CRPGs do without genuine roleplay? Because it's usually shit anyway. :lol:

MUDs don't count, they're multiplayer.

If you look at the Codex "about us" page it says how the early users here defined CRPGs: single-player and PC-based, not console. They just wanted to talk shit about games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Fallout, Arcanum, ToEE but they couldn't do it on the developers' forums so they started their own. So when someone posts on the Codex "what's the best looking CRPG" we have to assume that's what they're talking about, and maybe ARPGs but that's pushing it.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks, but yeah I do believe Cyberpunk is an RPG, absolutely. [...] It is not CRPG and it is not as malleable as, I dunno, Fallout 2 or god forbid Age of Decadence. But it's an RPG.
So not a Computer RPG. Interesting. What did you play it on; a sewing machine?

I'd be even happy if people repurposed the C to mean "classic" instead of "computer". But as long as it means "computer", this is illogical and silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom