Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Mythology: Retold

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Revealed during 25th Anniversary event, Age of Mythology finally gets the Definitive Edition treatment.

Last edited:

Cassar

Savant

"updated gameplay" in the same evening where their entire conference was about putting everything on consoles. I'm sure it'll turn out perfectly fine, no ? Managing armies in the hundreds of units, base building, economy and so on with 10 buttons and 2 sticks is totally cool. Im sure the gameplay and design of this game won't be affected at all by this. They'll surely make their lives harder on purpose with the later console port and not alter shit right now for gamepads, right ? Sure

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I doubt they will care about consulting greek experts for historical accuracy and cultural authenticity so if all they do is update the visuals then surely they can't fuck this up right?

Cassar

Savant
I doubt they will care about consulting greek experts for historical accuracy and cultural authenticity so if all they do is update the visuals then surely they can't fuck this up right?

Read above: "updated" gameplay. They're altering how the game plays, not a simple visual makeover. Seems the timeline got darker still, Microsoft will own Starcraft, Warcraft. Imagine a Starcraft 3 designed for controllers. Something that plays like Halo Wars. Because it seems even RTS cant escape those fucking consoles now

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
RE: "Altering how the game plays" - I'm 99% sure they are referring to the auto build button that wrecked any serious e-sport potential of this game. Also, wooooooo!

pickmeister

Learned
I certainly hope the gods do return and smite this piece of shit.

Surely the awful CGI isn’t telling about the quality of the final product.

Can't wait for the adventure of Tyronekantos and Kwanjax.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The recent wave of AoE re-releases seems to be following the shit followed by good or vice versa release model of Windows with AoE1 DE being meh/bad, AoE2 DE being great and then AoE3 DE being meh/bad again. So I confirm this will be gut. And yes, I know I'm probably completely wrong.

Geisler

Educated
The recent wave of AoE re-releases seems to be following the shit followed by good or vice versa release model of Windows with AoE1 DE being meh/bad, AoE2 DE being great and then AoE3 DE being meh/bad again. So I confirm this will be gut. And yes, I know I'm probably completely wrong.
What was so shit about AoE1 DE? I remember people talking about shitty pathing but not much else. I have it but never tried it out.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What was so shit about AoE1 DE? I remember people talking about shitty pathing but not much else. I have it but never tried it out.
I've only played it for a moment and a long time ago, but apart from pathfinding, the AI and difficulty levels seems to be still completely broken and the game has been as good as abandoned in the broken state. Also, while the engine looks ok(-ish), parts of the overall package (like various menus) definitely give off a cheap and low effort vibe compared to AoE2 DE.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It isn't so much shit or even bad, just overall kind of mediocre. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it enough to complete most campaigns and am planning to complete all of them at some point, but it got 0 serious support and the general disinterest of the public dragged it down. Yeah, there were quite a lot of pathing issues that were eventually reduced to a minimum, but that wasn't that big of a deal imo. I didn't like the fact I couldn't switch between original graphics and the new ones for the campaigns, but it was explained to me that the revised maps had elements the originals didn't have, so there was nothing to switch to. Speaking of the revised maps, most of the revisions were a sidegrade at best, the rest didn't even keep the spirit of the idea of the map (mostly made easier by that).

Don Peste

Arcane
Want the original? Play the original.
Want the remake? Play the remake.
Want AoM2? Well... Play uhm... Battle for Middle-Earth?

Cheers!

Sarathiour

Cipher
Reminder that whatever "balance" they brought with EE was utter trash and an insult to the base, with the added bonus of ruining faction identity, by giving cavalry to t2 eggy, healing to greek hydra, and worst of all, archer to norse.
Archer which are btw ludicrously overpowered :
Arcus
Toxotes
Bogsveigir

The get 25% base hp more, got nearly the range of arcus/tower, but are also faster and train 30 to 60% faster than their counterpart. They niche were btw already filled by ballista later on, and TA early on.

I'm expecting nothing but bad news out of this.

Sarathiour

Cipher
The whole point of the unit is that you had to use it carefully, a strong hydra got many head but probably few hp left. Hard counter like medusa or mummies only appear on mythic age.

You'll always have to be careful about healing or regenerating unit in rts, as it favors defensive play.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
AoM was my favorite RTS but I don't think I'll be touching this remake. Oh sorry, retold. Whatever, it's re(something). Remake, remaster, retold. At the core of it, re. Fitting for the times we're going through.

vota DC

Augur
AoE1 wasn't very good to begin with.
It invented the genre with ages to advance with technology.
The fact was that AOE 2 was too good as sequel but back in time AOE 1 has no similar game.

Anyway AOE 1 had some interesting assymmetries that were lost in the sequel. For example you had civs without elephants, other without horse archers. There were more differences in upgrades too with Egyptians having lacking ALL infantry upgrades, Greek having heavy infantry upgrades and a speed bonus, Hittites having one upgrade for light infantry and access to all heavy infantry upgrade but without bonus. What about vanilla AOE 2? Some civs lacked the paladin upgrade and some lacked the champion. Big exceptions were camels, Saracens that lacked cavalier, Persian that lacked the two handed swordsman, Teutons without light cavalry and Turks without pikes. With the expansions they went closer to AOE 1 roots: Aztecs and Mayans lacked cavalry and gundpowder!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom