Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam will stop supporting Windows 7 and 8 in 2024.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wait, wasn't the whole point of GOG that you don't need a launcher, or did that change when I wasn't looking? So who cares if there isn't an official Linux launcher, you can use Lutris instead if you must.
The GOG installers don't work natively on Linux, and neither do the games. That's where the "launchers" come in, if you don't care to use the terminal to run them through Wine. Steam on the other hand are in Linux distro repositories and allows you to download, install, and play games without noticing they're not native.

Melcar

Arcane
Most distros already set up wine so that you only have to double click the .exe and the installer runs. Whether it will install with no errors is another thing, but that is true of Steam as well. You can use Steam to install GOG games as well, and run them through the Steam interface using Proton.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Wait, wasn't the whole point of GOG that you don't need a launcher, or did that change when I wasn't looking? So who cares if there isn't an official Linux launcher, you can use Lutris instead if you must.
The GOG installers don't work natively on Linux, and neither do the games. That's where the "launchers" come in, if you don't care to use the terminal to run them through Wine. Steam on the other hand are in Linux distro repositories and allows you to download, install, and play games without noticing they're not native.

Wine also has a GUI for configuring now - Bottles, that also allows you to launch specific exes through it. I'm sure there must be a more direct way also so that you don't need to engage Bottles, Wine or any launcher, some kind of launch parameters for the exe or its shortcuts?

Last edited:

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
Wine also has a GUI for configuring now - Bottles, that also allows you to launch specific exes through it. I'm sure there must be a more direct way also so that you don't need to engage Bottles, Wine or any launcher, some kind of launch parameters for the exe or its shortcuts?
Bottles is just another launcher. Not sure what you mean with not having to engage Wine. In order to run Windows executables you need a translation layer, i.e.: Wine or a Wine-derivative like Proton. You don't need a launcher though, you can just set up a desktop shortcut or something that launches Wine which launches your Windows executable, or type that out in the terminal.

Melcar

Arcane
Just use q4wine to set up profiles. Fuck launchers. These days wine staging with dxvk will run almost anything except the latest woke crap and old titles that do weird shit with their rendering.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
Just use q4wine to set up profiles. Fuck launchers. These days wine staging with dxvk will run almost anything except the latest woke crap and old titles that do weird shit with their rendering.
Fuck launchers, just use this other launcher instead. What?

Semiurge

Cipher
Bottles is just another launcher. Not sure what you mean with not having to engage Wine. In order to run Windows executables you need a translation layer, i.e.: Wine or a Wine-derivative like Proton. You don't need a launcher though, you can just set up a desktop shortcut or something that launches Wine which launches your Windows executable, or type that out in the terminal.

I meant installing programs with Wine and then launching said progams from their own exes/shortcuts, and having Wine start simultaneously with them. Sort of like how launching Steam games from their exes worked in the past, as I recall. Or maybe I recall wrong, and doing that only launched the Steam platform and not the game.

Melcar

Arcane
Fuck launchers, just use this other launcher instead. What?

It's not a launcher. Well, technically it is, but it's not the same as Steam or Bottles or whatever. Q4wine is a graphical profile manager, so it makes it easy to start a Windows program with a specific profile.

catfood

AGAIN
You don't need Lutris to launch games either. You can just install and configure them through it and then add a shortcut to the desktop and launch the game from there.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'll be using Win 7 for the last time tomorrow since I realized I forgot to include my Mod Organizer files in the stuff I backed up from old PC and some of those mods aren't easy to find anymore, but I'll not have wireless dongle attached.

Edit: Went to make sure my external HDD still worked. I actually do have the rare mods I was concerned about in their original zip file. Still need to fire up SSD for its health and might as well backup those files.

edit: Plugged it in. Starts up, no video, then immediately shuts down then boots up before shutting down (etc.). Reminds me of time I had to update MB bios to use that same GPU on it. Not sure if someone was knocked out moving into/out of storage or what. Since I have the files in question, it doesn't really matter. Hopefully that was enough to give power to the SSD. If I wind up really needing something I'll just hook up the drives to another PC.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I wonder if there's a way to "crack" steam games that are installed on your hard drive so that you can play them without going through the client. Like downloading a no-cd crack for disc-based games.

If they actually go through with their threat to stop working.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I wonder if there's a way to "crack" steam games that are installed on your hard drive so that you can play them without going through the client. Like downloading a no-cd crack for disc-based games.

Of course there is. Goldberg steam emulator and steamless.

Who the fuck is actually dumb enough to give American imperialists money for DRM?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

why not just use a 'patch' to Steam? I mean, there's still working Windows XP version floating around (you just can't access community stuff, but buying and playing games works), I'm sure you could somehow run it on Windows 7 or someone will make such version for Windows 7 soon.

Azdul

Magister
I've installed quite a few GOG games using native Linux installers.

You can select 'Linux' in filters - and GOG webpage will show only these games in your library that have native Linux installers.

If you dowload 'offline installer' while displaying GOG webpage under Linux - it will default to Linux one.

If the game uses DosBox - but does not have Linux installer - you can just extract EXE file contents without launching it through Wine.

OFC DosBox game without Linux / Mac installer is a pure laziness on GOG side.

Azdul

Magister

Of course there is. Goldberg steam emulator and steamless.

Who the fuck is actually dumb enough to give American imperialists money for DRM?
I somehow doubt that major Tencent investments (Epic, Larian, Riot Games, SuperCell, Techland) will convince you to buy legitimate copies.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm guessing they're going "We're not fixing anything when it inevitably breaks, but we're not breaking it on purpose"

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Doesn't Steam refuse to connect after a while if it's not updated ?

(It's going to be a major problem for the Steam Deck at some point )

Melcar

Arcane

Steam itself I don't think. Run in offline mode most of the time. Some games will bug you after a while and refuse to run unless they "update".

Modron

Arcane

No not really, I put off the chrome update for like 1.5 months until random buttons here and there stopped working. Main issue is windows update wanting you to restart your computer every once in while and steam auto updating on start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom