Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam will stop supporting Windows 7 and 8 in 2024.

somerandomdude

Learned
fytfy.jpg
Proof that Windows 11 is shit?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Plus I have each and every game's files in triplicate digitally (thumb drives, external HDs, etc.) :salute:.
Just how much storage space is that?
It not that much considering most of my collection consists of actual good games. Most are no more than 500mb not bloated 10-100gb corridor shooters or walking simulators.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
mindx2 after disc rot

"This video is not available in your country."

The irony, considering the thread topic.

Anyway, I sat down yesterday and went through my entire Steam-catalog (812 titles), looking at what games I need to "salvage".

9 titles in total.

The biggest casualties are Serious Sam 3 (the only game in the series not available on GOG) and a beta-branch of Legend of Grimrock 2 which allows for UI enhancements. The rest is a mix of titles which can either be salvaged via other means, or are a "I'd like to have this game outside of Steam, but it's not vital"-thing.

Seems that planning for the eventual demise of Steam while using it, was a sound investment of my time.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So I'm wondering - I own several games on Steam that I might be interested in buying DLC for. Is there a way I can buy the DLC outside of Steam and make it work with my game(s)?

I feel that post is aimed at Paradox games and yes, you can. Just edit some things here and there and Steam will not act up if you decide to just pirate everything. Games that depend on other launchers (like EA's) make a quick check to see if the game was purchased through legit means, though.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So I'm wondering - I own several games on Steam that I might be interested in buying DLC for. Is there a way I can buy the DLC outside of Steam and make it work with my game(s)?
Probably not, unless you resort to piracy (as you should).
Only issue is I want to pay the dev if I think it's good value.

I feel that post is aimed at Paradox games and yes, you can. Just edit some things here and there and Steam will not act up if you decide to just pirate everything. Games that depend on other launchers (like EA's) make a quick check to see if the game was purchased through legit means, though.
At the moment, it's Underrail.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
This powershell script is very useful for turning everything off easily and installing all the basics in one go. I've been using it for the last while on new installs.

https://christitus.com/windows-tool/
https://github.com/ChrisTitusTech/win10script

Be sure to use enterprise or education edition of win 10 if you can, most of the bullshit can be avoided completely by using those builds. Use group policy to shut everything down in those instances. Otherwise, the update tool works pretty seamlessly from 7 to 10 at this point so you can keep all your stuff where it is and not have to start over. To bring things back to usability I also always use start10 from stardock, they also have start11 which does make that abomination usable but don't be that guy. This puts everything back where it should be so no digging around after its done.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I took part in their recent hardware survey just so I could add +1 to Win 7 64.

We're 1.11% of the userbase. Combined with Win 7 and Win 8.1 we're 1.56% of the userbase, while Linux is just over 2%.

Üstad

Arcane
Steam is retarded when it comes to these updates, forced crappy interface updates for example, why not let us choose what kind of interface we want? And now you're forced to upgrade from windows 7 even though most games on steam are win 7 compatible. Idk maybe it's because I have a soft spot for win 7 I care this much.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who'd have believed? A rare occasion of one-percenters getting screwed up!
Years ago whenever I asked for some game to get Linux support I've got many answers (from other players) that "lololol literally nobody cares about your system, only 1% are Linux players, stop asking, NOBODY CARES". I wonder if any of them writes now " wtf how can you stop supporting W7, people still use it!"

Modron

Arcane
It's not even valve that is discontinuing support, it's some middleware they use for steam that is doing so isn't it?

because there isn't a "linux 10" which needs triple the hardware, offers half the working features and is a whole giant security structural weakness disaster waiting to happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom