Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Spike

Educated
Favorite tac shooter? I have played very few but enjoy the genre. I enjoyed the SOCOM games and early Ghost Recons. Might need to replay all those.
Can't decide on first Ghost Recon or SWAT 4. Also really liked R6: Raven Shield, SOCOM 1 and 2, Hidden and Dangerous 2, ARMA, GR:AW 1 (PC version).
Love SWAT 4, it is my favorite. GR:AW 1 is also awesome. SWAT 4 also has fantastic modded levels and etc.

Modron

Arcane
Finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider,the last of the new trilogy of games, it's fine ,the graphics are good for their time,gameplay is mostly the same as the other two games,the setting this time is South America and pre Colombian civilizations . It has been a while since I played the other two but I think this might be the weakest of the new trilogy although still an ok game.If you enjoyed the other two my guess will be that you will enjoy this one too
Too much focus on making stealth the optimal approach to encounters (mostly in the vein of 1 proper route through some areas) and stuff like enemies having bullet/arrow proof helmets really breaks up the flow from the previous games.

Took the Dark Souls 2 mod Seeker of Fire for another playthrough since it had its last big patch release a few months ago. Not bad considering most of the big Dark Souls 3 mods are abandoned and not even up to date for the latest default game patch.

I've gone through Seeker of Fire a couple times over the years and generally each patch has made it better. This time as far as I can tell Adaptability has been disconnected from dodge rolling iframes entirely and now mostly serves as a way to boost resists and item usage speed. A very big improvement right off the bat.

A lot of the bosses have been reshuffled again along with item locations but, the best of these changes so far is probably the increased choice in how you want to progress through the game with the new warps and shortcuts. For example right from the start if you wanted to you could go from Things Betwixt to the shrine of Amana. Many of the DLCs are accessible much earlier and their level progression is integrated into the main path of the game. A lot of the petrified path blockers introduced in Scholar of the First Sin have been removed entirely.

Overall I'd say this is my favorite way to replay Dark Souls 2 now.

BruceVC

Magister
I completed NWN2 SoZ after about 60 hours and it was a fantastic experience, it easily scores 73/100 on the influential " BruceVC game rating system "

I thought the new mechanics were really well done and fun and they include

• the map, really good idea to explore and for random encounters
  • the merchant trade system, once I understood it and built up my merchant company it was very rewarding seeing things progress. Great feature
It was interesting but I completed most side quests, except for West Harbor which I somehow didnt discover, but when I got to the final battle with the Zehir priests I was only level 12-13 and I got slaughtered about 4-5 times. So I went back to exploring the map and raised my overall levels to 14 and then I was able to defeat the final end bosses

But great game overall and the entire NWN2 trilogy is highly recommended for anyone who loves D&D rules with a compelling and worthwhile narrative

Now Im playing PoE White March1&2, I have just started and its interesting the obvious differences between the ruleset and any D&D game

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've been mixing it up between Pillars of Eternity II and Disco Elysium. Both games were a bit hard for me to get into, but they've started to grow on me now.

I'm not really sure why the Pillars game had to be a sequel to the first. Most of the first story doesn't seem to matter that much and with the game even forcing you to make a new character it makes even less sense. It also feels like the relationship between the gods and the player have skipped a game. What I mean by that is the relationship you had with the gods the first game were discreet and opened up to the player the more he continued through the story. In Pillars II you are talking with the gods from the first minute of the game. It feels a bit off, but I'll save my further comments for when I'm deeper into the game.

Disco Elysium certainly crafts a world that I want to get invested in. My only gripe is that the whole game so far seems to be a big dialogue simulator with very sub-par gameplay. If that's the case why wouldn't I read a book instead? There's so much dialogue that it gets annoying to listen to all of it when that's all I'm doing. Guess I'm about to find out if all the listening pays off in the end. It would really need to be a spectacle to do so, but maybe Disco can pull it off.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I completed NWN2 SoZ after about 60 hours and it was a fantastic experience, it easily scores 73/100 on the influential " BruceVC game rating system "
If 73/100 was fantastic, you must use the whole scale, which is a good thing. Usually 73/100 means average.
So which games have scored 90 or better?

BruceVC

Magister
If 73/100 was fantastic, you must use the whole scale, which is a good thing. Usually 73/100 means average.
So which games have scored 90 or better?
Great question, I dont think the globally followed " BruceVC game rating system " has ever rated a game higher than 90

Its about consistent unparalleled excellence and no game is perfect or is so far deserving of a score higher than 90

But any game higher than 50 is worth playing so just use that as a measurement of " should I play this game "

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider,the last of the new trilogy of games, it's fine ,the graphics are good for their time,gameplay is mostly the same as the other two games,the setting this time is South America and pre Colombian civilizations . It has been a while since I played the other two but I think this might be the weakest of the new trilogy although still an ok game.If you enjoyed the other two my guess will be that you will enjoy this one too
Too much focus on making stealth the optimal approach to encounters (mostly in the vein of 1 proper route through some areas) and stuff like enemies having bullet/arrow proof helmets really breaks up the flow from the previous games.

I didn't mind the enemies but the forced stealth sections were a chore, one of the reasons I felt it was weaker than the previous games

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm about 3 hours into Doom 3 (BFG edition) and I feel like it's the same corridor over and over again. Is the whole game like this?
Until you get to Hell, then it's the same hallway over and over again.
Well, to be fair, Doom 1 was also mostly UAC corridors, labs, etc.
But then you get to Inferno...
Not quite.

With Doom you could see both several themes running through each episode (and individual levels), but also a great deal of experimentation.

'Knee-Deep in the Dead' is pretty much as you described, UAC corridors. But each level is also designed and laid out to introduce new elements, and give the player time to get familiar with them.

'Shores of Hell' then takes those UAC corridors and starts subverting them. New monsters that are truly demonic in nature, teleporters, satanic imagery starts appearing, architecture starts getting a bit wonky, etc.

Then you get to 'Inferno'... and yeah, the jump is there, and it's done quite well. UAC corridors are dumped for wide-open areas, logical architecture is replaced by chaotic scenery, the gameplay kicks up a notch. A clear path of progress, marred by changing circumstances, can be seen in the game. (No comment on 'Thy Flesh Consumed' or the Sigil-episodes, as they abandon the general theme and just go for 'more of the same but harder'.)

By comparison, Doom 3 follows the same formula, but at a watered-down and accelerated pace, to the point that when the player finally reaches Hell, it offers next to nothing different from the UAC-corridors. It's more of the same, with a new skin. Considering it's made 10 years after the original, the wisdom and experience from the prequels should be present... but whatever is there is just a shadow of Doom. It's only that new episode put together for the BFG-edition that successfully does something with the Hell-levels to make them stand apart.

goregasm

Scholar
Elden Ring. Picked it up on release as I always appreciated the tone of FromSoft/DS games but couldn't get gud at em, just got mad at em.

Elden Ring was the same. Decided to reinstall and give it another go.

I feel I am finally "getting it"

Started as a Wretch, really enjoying the early game, taking my time exploring, downed 5 or 6 lesser bosses, got some gear etc, and just frankly enjoying myself for the first time in a fromsoft game.

Have off of work for the next week or so, but yesterday played for almost 6 hours.

Also rolling with a heavily modded fnv, Days Gone, trying to finish Tactics Ogre, also reinstalled MGSV for some "realism" modding, never really played it, a bit janky and Japanese, but can see the shine on it, figure it's got good mod support so might as well see if I can make it difficult.

Always keep something open ended as a palate cleanser, Viking Conquest, Project Zomboid, Battle Brothers something like that.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Just beat the covenant 16 in Monster train and trying to beat the 17th one.
Wanted to play Spark the Electric Jester 3 after completing Pseudoregalia as i heard a lot of good things about it and this video sold me on it.

Beat a few levels and liked it. I encountered some micro-issues with my old ass gamepad however, mainly with the left analog stick and what it uses for D-Pad. My Spark sometimes just stops in the middle of the road even though i am holding my analog stick forward. This one is on hold for now until i buy a gamepad that doesn't make my hands bleed.

And finally started playing the Citadel.
a18thecitadelWin64Shipp.png

bb8thecitadelWin64Shipp.png
Feels junky and somewhat poorly optimized as it was made by a single japanese guro artist who claims to be a fan of marathon and outlaw.
Still, first impressions are pretty good. Weapons feel punchy and i don't get tired of turning anime girl cultists into a bloody paste.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat the last level in Powerwasher Simulator, but the trophy for beating the game did not pop. It was a chill experience, but I have had my fill. Time to look fro something else as the chill game option. Currently, I have two Pixel Puzzle games on Steam to go through.

I've also been playing Mortal Online 2 with two buddies. You really don't want to die in this game, since all your gear will be lost upon death. We mostly ran around, killing other players. People were reporting us for griefing, but we didn't get punished, because the DM saw that we were completely new players, and we didn't break any rules.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I got a new gamepad, back to playing Spark the Electric jester 3.
SparktheElectricJest.png

Spark is cute.
I still suck horribly at this but at least it's now a 100% skill issue on my part and my hands don't hurt anymore.

Fink

Novice
Expeditions: Conquistador. With much savescumming I have made it to Mexico.

Last night I could not sleep because I was thinking about this fantastic game.

My favourite game of the year, so far.

Spike

Educated
Expeditions: Conquistador. With much savescumming I have made it to Mexico.

Last night I could not sleep because I was thinking about this fantastic game.

My favourite game of the year, so far.
Best feeling. I have been really digging Severance: Blade of Darkness. And before that, Crash: Twinsanity. Though I know neither are RPGs.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I completed Delta Force Xtreme and it was mostly fun. It's more or less a remake of the first game, many of the missions follow the same overall layout. Xtreme is right, since it has the action turned up to 11 in some missions and has lots of extra enemies and vehicles. The AI is still retarded, but now in different ways and I do miss the elevation adjustments from the first game. It looks pretty good for a game from 2005.

I then wanted to move on and finish the last game in the series, Delta Force: Xtreme 2.. and you can't. It needs an account to log in to play. You can make the account fine, but the service to check in-game whether the account exists is broken.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
How are the ghost recon games like Breakpoint? I tries Wildlands but it felt bad to play. Is Break point any better? It looked fun in the footage I've seen.
They're not good. Just tried both recently thinking they might be dumb fun in co-op at least, but they can't even manage that. They aren't tac shooters in the slightest, just casual TPS games, grab bags of mechanics taken from other Ubisoft titles with none of their own identity. Imagine Far Cry, The Division and whatever else but somehow worse than any of its ingredients.

Otherwise, most people seem to like Wildlands better and I'm not sure why. Breakpoint does feel a little better to play, but doesn't fix the most annoying Wildlands issues (nonstop contextual automatic shoulder swapping with NO OPTION TO DISABLE). However, Breakpoint is basically an abandoned live service game which leaves it hugely compromised in other regards. Trying to get into it now confronts you with a huge glut of content and no direction where to start or what parts are actually fun.

Pocgels

Scholar
Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Wars
Multiplayer mod: Commander Battle
Its a type of game where each players leads its unit of 10-30 bots into battle.
You can choose between regular infantry, heavy infantry, sniper rifles, various cavalry units or artillery.
There is EU_commander server, that's regularly full, where most battles are with 400 to up to 600 bots (50players).

Been playing for years, fun shit.

mb8.jpg
Awesome gamemode, it's too bad people really only ever played it in napoleonic.
It also gets props for being the thing that taught me that French nationalists do in fact exist, somewhere in the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom