Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sank 6 hours into it this week and it really hasn't grabbed me. Which is nuts because it ticks all the boxes of a quality CRPG for me, but the combination of awkward UI, excessive loot and lackluster early questing has just made me want to leave it for now and return to it at a later date. There seems to be a real lack of cohesion to a lot of the game's elements, and I'm not really keen on the "I kinda think this...but who knows....I lost my memory!" dialogue from everyone early game.....people have lost their memory.....I get it....there's no need for everyone I speak to for 6 hours to keep ramming that point home, it gets boring.

So yeah, disappointed as it stands. Will give it another chance at a later date.
In that case, I don't think you'll like the rest of the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I can see this not being very appealing to many people. I just really like this so far (almost at 40 hours now). I think what hooked me in was the exploration element is just done so well for me. Also it's something you can just jump into.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Seems nice, but waiting for respecc vendor before playing proper :)
It's probably not necessary, since you have such a large selection of party members you can cover all possibilities easily. You can already re-spec stats, just not skills (I think the latter is coming).

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Most of the traits are locked for strange reason. "Unlock more monster lore," it says at the top of the traits screen.
I leveled up Monster Lore and nothing happened, eheh.
I will unlock traits by killing monsters then?
Say, I want "Tough" for added armor and HP, which is now locked. I need to find and kill some armored monsters or something?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I gave this some more hours, and I'm so pleasantly surprised. Neat little adventure. My cleric lightning master with some defensive abilities kills stuff two levels higher without a sweat, and my woof-woof companion, albeit low in HP, stuns the heccin heck out of mostly anything that dares to come closer.
The most awesome feature of this game: training a particular weapon skill raises not only hit probability—as seen in many games—but ALSO DAMAGE! This is a transcending experience that few games can give you. If any at all.

Modron

Arcane
and my woof-woof companion, albeit low in HP,
He's got a unique armor set:
I only ever dug up one piece of it and I was pretty thorough at searching the maps (found all secrets and did a lot of digging). I've been told starting conversations with him in town can yield another piece of it.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Does someone know where to get a proper fighter companion? High STR, high RES? I don't mind spoilers.
My roster 5 now 5, including teh doggo. I would find it much more fun if I had some proper front. Merewen has been okayish as a tank so far, but no awesome weapon and armor wielding goodness on her part with STR 10...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's the froggo like character in the froggo caves. Help the king, and then he will join.

belated

Augur
There are several recruitable fighters later in the game. Aside from the froggo you can find one guy in the crypt and a dwarf (?) somewhere under the library, I think.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One of my party members has a yellow question mark over her head. What gives? It temporarily goes away if I make her leader, but comes back. She doesn't have any new conversation either.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
One of my party members has a yellow question mark over her head. What gives? It temporarily goes away if I make her leader, but comes back. She doesn't have any new conversation either.
Post a screen when you are talking to them.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Better news:

Anniversary Update!
It's been a year since launch and a lot has changed!

It's been a year since Caves of Lore launched. A lot has changed in that time. Players like you have been a big part of additions and improvements to the game. Below is a small summary of changes since launch.

Controller Support, Achievements and Stat Respeccing.
New Starting Character Options, including Female hero option.
New Lore, New Secrets and Quest Notes.
New Abilities, Traits, and Spells.
Adjustable Casting Levels, Key Rebinding and Difficulty Settings.
New Books and New Conversation Keywords.
New Items, Unique Weapons, Equipment Sets and Enchantments
Balance Changes, and many other QoL updates.

Today I am adding a Female Hero option, along with new Spells, Abilities and some other minor changes.

I've worked on Caves of Lore pretty much every day since launch. It's been a wild ride as a solo dev with no previous experience, but this community has been more than I imagined it could be. I couldn't have done it without you, and I'll continue to do so for as long as I can.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2227130/view/3952539375957225939?l=english

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Can someone help my retarded 50IQ balkan brain please?

20240206024156_1.jpg

I've done everything I can in this area (even going back to the caves and finding any secrets I missed, yeah I'm failing at that, can't get down some ledge or across some gap. Did find all the buried treasure at least). I go to this area, from what I learned in the town, and what the old lady told me, this is where I should whisper. I do the whisper with the word I was told, and nothing. I'm unable to walk directly onto this rune? so maybe I'm not in the correct position.

Edit - never mind, scratch that. I did not see the speech rune come up in front of another door which I had already highlighted with my spell before entering the town

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just finished and almost everything about it told me I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Pixel graphics and JRPG vibe, my girlfriend was fully invested the entire time thinking it was "cute" and got pissed when I let the Scaphin fall in combat, etc.

And yet...I enjoyed the hell out of it. 99% of the time the game pissed me off, it was my own fault for not figuring things out and I eventually got there. Mind you, I didn't enjoy it enough to go back and find the last couple of secrets I'm missing, but I'm happy with what I found (and going off of one of the secrets I found, I don't have the patience to go back and find the couple im missing).

Was expecting a fight in the finale but was left without. I can't say I hate anything about this game other than the ridiculous amount of loot. Before I was fully comfortable with what I wanted, I kept everything and had over 40 pages of it, 99.9% of it was not useful at all. Last thing; apparently I missed two companions, I'm not surprised though because I only found Fae after literally searching everything (and even going into the house where she is multiple times) but never camped out there so I'm assuming there is some dumb thing I missed to get the two. Either way, they showed up and did most of the talking in the finale despite me never seeing them in my entire playthrough so there are still some loose ends to tie up.

Overall, really enjoyable. I had a blast with the exploration.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom