Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Thaumaturge - supernatural RPG set in early 20th century Warsaw from Seven: The Days Long Gone devs

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Lean upper body coupled with bodybuilder abdominals, and she's wearing trousers. High scores for both anatomical and historical accuracy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just going back one decade and a half in the past, in 2009, none of this would have made been showcased and the game would have directly introduced the main menu with an innovative gameplay.
The first time I saw it was in 2007 when Assassin's Creed was released. I rolled my eyes then already, but to be fair, this screen hasn't changed that much since.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Interesting: Polish experts calculate that the budget of Thaumaturge was 15-20 mln PLN, which is 3,8-5 mln $. Low AA numbers. Now I understand why they could not afford a Polish dubbing outright.

According to these estimations Fool's Theory needs around 250k copies sold to break even. Which they most likely will achieve this year.

https://www.gry-online.pl/newsroom/...wac-15-20-mln-zlotych-zeby-sie-zwroci/z4287ba

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I finished act 1 and think Im dropping this one now

spam right click every second so you don't miss clickable shit is obnoxious
no logical puzzles just click everything and you are done no need to think
customization is minimal but better than I was expecting (add passive stuff for every skill)

combat yeah could be interesting later but so far I have not died even once, couple times it was close

setting + story seems fine but execution presenting em is lacking, follow red line and click anything you see while going from a to b. good mc and other cast is decent too

time to play unicorn overlord now :bounce:

Supermedo

Augur
When did 'dex decline so much? I mean I know when, around 2020, but it's sad to see.

The Outer Worlds had a 300 page thread in 2019 where every other post was about NPC haircuts.
Yup, I quit codex a long time ago because of all the whining about SJWs and stuff in every god damn thread and none of them talk about the game mechanics or story.

Now I'm sure most of the people here have stopped playing games and only shitpost about "politics in gaming".

We already have SJW megathread with 3000 pages, so can we stop talking about it in every thread.

ArchAngel

Arcane
When did 'dex decline so much? I mean I know when, around 2020, but it's sad to see.

The Outer Worlds had a 300 page thread in 2019 where every other post was about NPC haircuts.
Yup, I quit codex a long time ago because of all the whining about SJWs and stuff in every god damn thread and none of them talk about the game mechanics or story.

Now I'm sure most of the people here have stopped playing games and only shitpost about "politics in gaming".

We already have SJW megathread with 3000 pages, so can we stop talking about it in every thread.
Sjw infesting all games is talking mechanics and story. You just seem to like those shit changes and corruptions of our once beloved games and genres. There is always reddit and resetera for sjw lovers.
Also Codex always spent unhealthy amount of time shitting on worse mechanics of new games, just before last 8 years SJW shit was not as prominent. Shit mechanics (and even shittier microtransaction stuff) stayed and in addition SJW shit was added on top.
For example Overwatch. Shittier than other team shooters like Counter Strike or Team Fortress 2 but also full of SJW shit.

GloomFrost

Arcane

Well the thing is that despite ugly haircuts and cringe writing the Outer World is still a 100% solid and serviceable RPG with passable combat, quests and party management whether people like it or not. Also its like one of very very very few games in general which takes place in space and not fantasy. I think that games like Thaumaturge contribute to DECLINE much more. They are nor RPGs, they are not proper point n click adventures and sure as hell they are not worth playing for writing alone.

Supermedo

Augur

Sjw infesting all games is talking mechanics and story. You just seem to like those shit changes and corruptions of our once beloved games and genres. There is always reddit and resetera for sjw lovers.
Also Codex always spent unhealthy amount of time shitting on worse mechanics of new games, just before last 8 years SJW shit was not as prominent. Shit mechanics (and even shittier microtransaction stuff) stayed and in addition SJW shit was added on top.
For example Overwatch. Shittier than other team shooters like Counter Strike or Team Fortress 2 but also full of SJW shit.
I'm not fond of it, but I don't think it's worth complaining about for years when it's the reality of the industry.

Besides, what did all the codex "Shiting" accomplish? Don't you get bored of repeating the same stuff over and over again for years?

The Thaumaturge is very mild with SJW, and yet that's all we've been talking about in the last few pages.

The game received good ratings from the critics, but only Jermu provided insightful information about the game.

I also wanted to point out that codex is the only forum to talk about indie cRPG, reddit only care about AAA games.

HumanMech

Literate
Yeah, instead of "Shiting", you should try to consume some real shit (the reality of the industry) and be happy, guys! Why don't you? It's fun and not boring at all. Ask reddit.

deama

Prophet
So how's the game guys? Is this like disco disco or one of those imitators?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

ArchAngel

Arcane

I'm not fond of it, but I don't think it's worth complaining about for years when it's the reality of the industry.

Besides, what did all the codex "Shiting" accomplish? Don't you get bored of repeating the same stuff over and over again for years?

The Thaumaturge is very mild with SJW, and yet that's all we've been talking about in the last few pages.

The game received good ratings from the critics, but only Jermu provided insightful information about the game.

I also wanted to point out that codex is the only forum to talk about indie cRPG, reddit only care about AAA games.
It accomplished two things.
1. Bg3 is not GOTY
2. Shitposters like you that want us to accept shit stopped posting here and some others didn't come back but stayed on reddit or resetera.

For example check out how Rogue Trader topic looks here and how it looks on reddit. If we stopped complaining and "accepted it" like you said, we would just be full of same human garbage that fill 75% of RT reddit topics with romance shit..

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I have nothing to add besides

1. Yes, I wish that there was more discussion of the game than some silly trigger warning that the lawyers probably asked for. But I also don't think too many 'dexers actually bought this.
2. RPGCodex is still one of the only relevant places on the web to talk about cRPGs.
3. Modern games are so thoroughly coated in various forms of cancer that there's no point in talking about what mild enjoyment you can eke out of them when you're getting tumorous growths shoved down your throat.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For example check out how Rogue Trader topic looks here and how it looks on reddit. If we stopped complaining and "accepted it" like you said, we would just be full of same human garbage that fill 75% of RT reddit topics with romance shit..

I haven't looked at it since the game was released, but I remember being frustrated the thread was filled with nothing but pages and pages of discussion regarding Warhammer 40k lore instead of talking about the game.

Harthwain

Magister
1. Yes, I wish that there was more discussion of the game than some silly trigger warning that the lawyers probably asked for. But I also don't think too many 'dexers actually bought this.
My main stopping point was "The Witcher Exploration" style mechanic.

Kiste

Augur
So, I hate the Polish because they once scammed my mom out of €300, but this game does look interesting to me.

I don't mind the trigger warning. When you have an NPC ranting about the Jews like some demented Codexer, a trigger warning is a small price to pay for not heaving to deal with a social media shitstorm. I'm also fine with the Witcher-sense exploration, because after work I suffer from mushy brain and don't like to do things that are too mentally taxing.

Taking these things into consideration, would this game be for me? Are there any positive elements? Is the story good? Can I bang a Slavic tart? Please, don't make me read Steam reviews.

Edit:
I should probably add that I'm a storyfag.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister

I tend to agree but heres the problem, there is legitimate argument that says " we have a right to complain if we want "

And that applies to supporting the game

I just ignore the repetitive comments about degeneracy or the reality of wokeness in games. I play any game I want and I dont let other people influence my decision because of the reasons I mentioned

Also you will always find people on Codex who want to discuss the game and its mechanics and they have actually played the game so there opinion is informed even if I disagree with there views

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well, complaining about SJWs is modern RPG Codex's reality, so i try to ignore it and sadly the codex has declined when it comes to discussions about modern AAA and some AA games - people here never accepted things "just because", but a lot of criticism nowadays is at a surface level and often about superficial elements. Of course it might just be that people who have nothing interesting to write prefer to write nothing.

On the other hand RPG Codex is great when it comes to older games as well as smaller indie and some A/AA games. It is the only place i personally know where you can find people discussing active playthroughs of Ultima Underworld or Wizardry (even comparing its various incarnations), where people will try and comment on some obscure RPG for DOS made by a teenager in the 80s or some czech dungeon crawler for the Amiga that never got an official translation. When it comes to indies, it often is the only place where someone even bothers to mention a game, i've both found games thanks to RPG Codex i didn't knew about before and found games that were only discussed on RPG Codex when i searched about them online. And of course there are the more generic discussions like those about mechanics or story elements that even if i do not always agree with them, i still like them because people often discuss about *why* they like or dislike something. These discussions are also those i prefer to participate myself in and whenever i find some non-AAA or already overdiscussed game, i like writing my thoughts about it in the relevant post (even if sometimes it gets a
wtfamireading.png
for some of the more obscure and/or well received stuff :-P).

And at the end i don't think you'll ever find a perfect community anyway, some communities try to create one by being strict about rules, policing discussions and banning, but personally i'd rather read (and sometimes respond to) stuff i might dislike myself than have someone else arbitrarily decide for me what i can handle, so i don't like such communities.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I have nothing to add besides

2. RPGCodex is still one of the only relevant places on the web to talk about cRPGs.
3. Modern games are so thoroughly coated in various forms of cancer that there's no point in talking about what mild enjoyment you can eke out of them when you're getting tumorous growths shoved down your throat.
I agree. I post too much about WOKE because normies are not posting enough. FFS this agenda wants all white and/or male defenders not even in chains. But straight up dead. And you're defending it cause... maaan just let me eat my goyslop in peace

This game seems fine. My biggest problem is gameplay which is made for modern audience AKA game is not simulation, vehicle for the story but mere click here and click there. You're basically playing PowerPoint presentation. Which ain't bad if presentation is good. But it can be so much more

+
Lack of Polish VA is
pipboy_disapprove.png

ArchAngel

Arcane

I haven't looked at it since the game was released, but I remember being frustrated the thread was filled with nothing but pages and pages of discussion regarding Warhammer 40k lore instead of talking about the game.
I wish, WK40k lore is based.
It is now filled with fan art of different character romance combinations..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom