Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

Caim

Arcane
This would be the ideal time to introduce a new pistol weapon for various dual-wielding classes, but that'd be too much fun.

Vyvian

Educated
The renown track progresses very slowly and it has 40 levels to it.
They even put a considerable amount of trader's tenders deep into the track.

Darn. I saw that the pirate Pepe is unlocked at renown level 24. Not sure I want to spend that many hours just to get it.

Can you link the pirate pepe? Also, how is plunderstorm? I watched someone playing and it looked pretty silly.

WoWhead link, from Renown level 24. Haven't resubbed yet, still thinking on it.

3VvR1Uo.png

Vyvian

Educated
The game mode itself is kinda fun. I'm not sure it's worth resubbing for though.
I'm hoping they buff track progress soon, the associate game director said they are looking at it.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
WoW subscriber graph shown off by Blizzard at GDC 2014

2014 = 2024

I know a lot of people who went back for classic, unofficial hardcore classic, and official hardcore. A bit to my surprise, more people from any of those variations, at least from the people I know, came back to play season of discovery. Most of them are still playing.

Shadowlands is a strange one. People always resub for an expansion, of course. But holy shit, I have played WoW on and off since 2004, and I have never seen people quit as fast as they did for that one.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
WoW subscriber graph shown off by Blizzard at GDC 2014

2014 = 2024

I know a lot of people who went back for classic, unofficial hardcore classic, and official hardcore. A bit to my surprise, more people from any of those variations, at least from the people I know, came back to play season of discovery. Most of them are still playing.

Shadowlands is a strange one. People always resub for an expansion, of course. But holy shit, I have played WoW on and off since 2004, and I have never seen people quit as fast as they did for that one.

I resubbed for expansions, BfA almost killed it for me, but I still went back for Shadowlands and that put the final nail in the coffin for me. I usually grab an expansion and a 3-6 month sub with it, whether or not I actually play that long. Shadowlands, I think I played like 2 weeks, maybe?

Reever

Scholar
Patron
There was a lot of hype around it's release. More so than the other expansions. I remember some ecelebs touting it as a return to old wow. I guess that only works for so long. Also torghast could've been a fun addition if they didn't completely screw it up.

J1M

Arcane
There was a lot of hype around it's release. More so than the other expansions. I remember some ecelebs touting it as a return to old wow. I guess that only works for so long. Also torghast could've been a fun addition if they didn't completely screw it up.
It had a cool cinematic during a pandemic. Don't over think it.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria in Patch 10.2.7 - Level to 70 Using Special Rules and Loot!

https://www.wowhead.com/news/wow-re...-7-level-to-70-using-special-rules-and-338631
What is WoW Remix: Mists of Pandaria?
World of Warcraft Remix is a time-limited event which allows players to re-experience the entirety of the Mists of Pandaria expansion at an accelerated rate from level 10 through 70. All loot has been completely overhauled and has powerful new effects allowing players to shape their experience, power up, and power on. Features include:

Accelerated Leveling and Content allowing you to take on nearly every quest, scenario, dungeon and raid.
Create a new WoW Remix character starting at level 10 to adventure through the event up to level 70.
A mountain of loot: Get powerful items from everywhere— quests, chests, creatures, bosses.
Customizable items allowing you to power up as far as you can go to take on tougher content.
Convert unwanted items into Bronze which can be used to upgrade items or purchase cosmetics.
Keep what you collect: Take your collection of transmogs with you into The War Within.
(Val the Moofia Boss - thoughts on this?)

GKVATCNV6HEF1712628971647.png

MoP is my favorite WoW expansion, but I already played through the content while it was current. I completed the legendary questline, got my Legend of Pandaria title, used the legendary cloak to enter the Ordon Sanctuary and grinded 100,000 timeless isle coins and bought the Golden Heavenly Cloud Serpent. Already killed Garrosh 507 times to get the Tusks of Mannoroth with a bonus roll. The only thing I didn't do was get a Challenge Mode class armor set. Not sure if Blizzard will make those available again, but if they do then getting the Death Knight, Warrior, or Warlock class sets might be a motivation. Otherwise, none of the rewards they've shown thus far appeal to me enough to bother going through all of those quests again. If there is a Pandaria themed Pepe, then maybe. Seems like this mode is coming soon though, maybe within a couple months, and the Plunder storm event might end when this MoP remix event begins (probably not in Blizzard's interest to have their playerbase stretched across half a dozen different versions of WoW), which means I might have to resub soon to get the pirate Pepe.

Wise choice on Blizzard's part to do away with progression servers. WotLK WoW onwards plays fundamentally the same as retail WoW and you're just missing out on arbitrary content and QoL features, so you mind as well just use the modern client with modern features and conveniences and just unlock old stuff that was taken away (like the legendary questline) and incentivize people to play through that old content.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Half the reason to play MoP is because it had one of the best class design of any WoW expansion, the other half is because the raids were well done. If this is wasting most raids on shitty leveling where players barely have access to half their kit, and using the retail talent system and level-unlocks, then this is gonna be a meme. A shame, but I guess MoP classic will come in about a year or so anyway.

They announced the rewards for the MoP remix. You will be able to buy 30 mount reskins (they actually existed in the files for the past 12 years but Blizzard never got around to releasing them until now), and you will be able to buy the 1% rare boss mount drops. I will finally be able to get the Heavenly Onyx Cloud Serpent after killing the Sha of Anger every week for years and never getting the mount. Just wish the Huolon mount was also available too. You will be able to get toys that display the legendary cloak visual effects for 8 hours, which is real nice because for some reason whenever I transmogged my legendary cloak, the visual effects never appeared.

dEvyfqg.jpeg

The MoP remix is already on the PTR, so it looks like it's coming very soon. I might resub soon to farm some transmog items to use on my MoP remix character, and do Plunderstorm and get the pirate Pepe while I'm at it.. I'm thinking I'll roll a Pandaren death knight. Trying to decide which mount I want to use.

MuY7Po3.jpeg

7TggvGm.jpeg

frajaq

Erudite
I will admit to wanting to play this MoP Remix... if only it didn't come close to a few JRPGs launches I really want to play. This is gonna release in like 2 months right?

This is gonna release in like 2 months right?

MoP remix is already on the PTR so it's probably releasing on live within the next 30 days.

EDIT: resubbed. Islands Expeditions was what I most enjoyed in BFA (competing against an enemy team to rapidly harvest resources from an island), so I am pleasantly surprised that it has somewhat returned in the form of Plunderstorm. You have even more teams to fight against, and the closing storm wall makes the gameplay more fast paced (whereas in island expeditions, it was too easy to try to run around the outskirts of the island avoiding the enemy team). The simplified abilities are also fun. I like the charge up dash and the leap. I only have two complaints: 1. there is only one map, whereas Island Expeditions provided a plethora of locales to visit. And 2. you're not playing you're own character. You have to create a different character for Plunderstorm, and you can't transmog him or augment him with toys or elixirs or engineering toys. So it feels strange, incongruent with WoW as an MMO.

Last edited:

Crayll

Liturgist
Resubbed to play Season of Discovery after quitting during Cata, and as a classic WoW casual it's been a lot of fun.

Tried out retail since I have the sub and I'm conflicted - the combat actually feels like it could be pretty good, despite some odd changes (why is mana just pointless now?), but man did they completely gut the world. I'm walking around oneshotting mobs with a single spell and leveling, getting new gear, etc., just feels meaningless since everything scales to you anyways. I know retail especially is based around the endgame but this is disappointing.
Arriving in Orgrimmar was an information overload with a million things pestering me. Went to the Battle for Azeroth zones as that seems to be the only option for new characters and it's miserable, starting off with a bunch of cutscenes, waiting for characters in game to stop talking, only to be flown directly to quest zones just to oneshot mobs again for a few minutes and then get flown back to the city.

I haven't looked at the new lore at all but I'm sure it's retarded.

MoP remix is already on the PTR so it's probably releasing on live within the next 30 days.
Do we have any idea if there's going to be a proper leveling experience in it, or just a rush to max with level scaled mobs? I don't mind it being an accelerated pace so long as the process feels somewhat meaningful.

Do we have any idea if there's going to be a proper leveling experience in it, or just a rush to max with level scaled mobs? I don't mind it being an accelerated pace so long as the process feels somewhat meaningful.
In the modern industry? Ain't no way. It's going to be hit max level in the first 3-4 days (2 if you're a poopsocker) then do the usual end game activities.

From what I've heard people are reaching level 70 in about 12 to 15 hours of play. You can level up by doing questing until 60. Once after 60, the exp required to reach the next level dramatically increases and grinding mobs is more efficient than doing quests, but you're not supposed to be doing either. Instead you're supposed to be doing the raids as you level up (Mogu'Shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, Terrace of the Endless Spring, Throne of Thunder, and Siege).

ogreman99

Barely Literate
Time is a flat circle. WoW has gone and returned to doing TLPs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom