Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Covenant

Savant
Anyone here finish DrashRL or CastlevaniaRL or MegaManRL?
Is DrashRL the 'Escape from Mt Drash' one? I actually finished that recently. For a ten-minute distraction, it's fine, but I wouldn't really recommend it. There's just not much there.

It's a shame Slashie didn't devote a bit more time to some of those efforts; he was very good at nailing style (even if it was primarily through just using a popular game's assets), but the back half of his games and the mechanics under the hood never seemed to really hold up.

buffalo bill

Arcane

buffalo bill

Arcane
https://www.t-o-m-e.net/download.php?tome_current=0

Would b the last official releases. Seems there've been some unofficial updates since then I was unaware of. You're on your own there though.
They seem to be broken. For anybody wondering you can get the 2.3.5 variant from here:
https://archive.org/details/ArchiveRL.7z
Alternatively look on the forums of TOME4 (TOMEs do have something in common - the author) and look in the TOME2 section. You will find this link: http://www.zaimoni.com/zaiband/Angband.ref/ToME/
this one works though

edit: though the one I downloaded (tome-235-win.zip) seems buggy af on my computer. very cool character creation nonetheless

flyingjohn

Arcane

Would b the last official releases. Seems there've been some unofficial updates since then I was unaware of. You're on your own there though.
They seem to be broken. For anybody wondering you can get the 2.3.5 variant from here:
says it is 24 gb? kinda sus
It is a collection of most roguelikes ever released. hence the size. Click show all and then find TOME or whatever you need.

Cologno

Educated

says it is 24 gb? kinda sus
FWIW, I've been playing stuff out of that archive since 2017...maybe 16? Been awhile, but it's legit, just a buttload of roguelikes and their versions. Have fun.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
rup.jpg

Richard Upton Pickman is my least favorite unique monster in the entire game. Two turns and you're dead.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I try to run away when I can, but I wanted to figure out whether there is a way to kill it reliably without spending too many resources. If I recall correctly, it and other ghouls sometimes spawn near the exit, or block the way to the exit. Usually, I can't kill it reliably as the invoker without Azathoth's Gaze and/or a Tommy gun.

Lafrontier

Lafrontier
Developer
Any good roguelikes that are completed/abandoned?
Elona is getting a sequel called Elin, but iirc the original is mostly done and only being updated by fans.
Well a prequel, Elin's events take place prior to Elona. There was actually a lot more content planned for Elona - South Tyris was the next area planned to be developed.

It's possible noa might even return to Elona as Elona was never really finished.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I mean, CoX II has some nice tilesets.
And there is so many distinct sounds you can instantly tell just by simply listening if there is a smuggler, a spell erasing dark elf :argh: or a wind elemental:argh::argh: nearby before you even see them. It's kinda like Daggerfall in this regard.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Blazing through Shiren lately. A shame the game doesn't seem to have much mileage outside of Japan, $60 price tag definitely not helping. Game has a ton of content, though, happy with it so far.

8ilb2q.gif

quaesta

Educated
If you're talking about Ultimate ADOM (which I think is pretty much abandoned), that's a completely different, inferior, beast
What a shit game. Much slower, lost the atmosphere of the original, loses the open world aspect, has a skill tree that was meh. Yet it has a soft spot in my heart because I found a way to become super powerful in that game by maximizing defense, made me feel like a proper archlich. Then I took it back because I was unable to leave the floor due to a bug.

Brimruk

Educated
Blazing through Shiren lately. A shame the game doesn't seem to have much mileage outside of Japan, $60 price tag definitely not helping. Game has a ton of content, though, happy with it so far.

8ilb2q.gif

If you've played 5, how do you think it compares? If I only played one which one should I go with?

sser

Arcane
Developer

8ilb2q.gif

If you've played 5, how do you think it compares? If I only played one which one should I go with?

I played Dice & the DS entry, whichever those are. They're all fairly the same, though 6 is very, very good. If you've played none of them, just spend $5 on Dice and give it a whirl to see if you like the gameplay loop and item-focused style.

Brimruk

Educated

8ilb2q.gif

I played Dice & the DS entry, whichever those are. They're all fairly the same, though 6 is very, very good. If you've played none of them, just spend $5 on Dice and give it a whirl to see if you like the gameplay loop and item-focused style.
I've got 5 (Dice) and 6 both, put some hours into 5 but dropped it because the story dungeons kind of drug on (though from what I've read there is are a ton of side-dungeons that are more traditional roguelike style rather than having to babysit a companion through the Towers

sser

Arcane
Developer

8ilb2q.gif

I've got 5 (Dice) and 6 both, put some hours into 5 but dropped it because the story dungeons kind of drug on (though from what I've read there is are a ton of side-dungeons that are more traditional roguelike style rather than having to babysit a companion through the Towers

In 6 I've only come across 1-companion quest thing where you had to guide a guy. It wasn't difficult, not that it mattered as the content in 6 is very spread out such that you have various challenges and things to do all over the place on any given run. The story dungeon is still functionally the 'tutorial' in 6 – and then the difficulty radically goes up on the 2nd half, as well as a number of the challenge zones. Going through the story dungeon repeatedly is almost constantly unlocking new things, whether you die or survive it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom