Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah! So no random boarding monster slaying dungeons? Boo!

Anyway, I just saw this:

sser

Arcane
Developer
New Shiren the Wanderer is going to releases late this month. Has a lot of quality of life updates to it, so not as much menu cascading.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Any good roguelikes that are completed/abandoned?
The usual recs(tales,adom,dwarf,cataclysm,etc) are all getting updated.I just wanna play something that is done and isn't the original Rouge/Moria.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Gearhead 1 was mostly completed and abandoned. But the dev recently picked it back up.

Elona is getting a sequel called Elin, but iirc the original is mostly done and only being updated by fans.

Liberal Crime Squad and Conservative Crime Squad (fanmade) are probably done/abandoned at this point.

That's me going from memory of what I enjoyed and the OP of this thread.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The usual recs(tales,adom,dwarf,cataclysm,etc) are all getting updated.I just wanna play something that is done and isn't the original Rouge/Moria.
DF or Cataclysm aren't completed but stuff like TOME4 is. More things are added but the game itself is complete. Why is this a problem? You don't have to update/buy DLCs/whatever.
As to finiseh RLs: SotS: The Pit, DoomRL (i think). I'd have to check some more, perhaps later.

Developer

ADOM hasn't been updated since 2020, and has felt finished since before the graphical update / steam release. If you're talking about Ultimate ADOM (which I think is pretty much abandoned), that's a completely different, inferior, beast.

DoomRL is pretty awesome, and as finished as it gets.

Covenant

Savant
Why is this a problem? You don't have to update/buy DLCs/whatever.
Just a personal pet peeve. When I start a game I want it to be done update/content wise unless the updates are minor stuff like localization.

I don't mind so much if there's an auto-updater in the program itself, but yeah, having to redownload something from GOG, etc, is always annoying, particularly if the dev goes for small frequent updates rather than rare but substantive ones.

Cologno

Educated
Why is this a problem? You don't have to update/buy DLCs/whatever.
Just a personal pet peeve. When I start a game I want it to be done update/content wise unless the updates are minor stuff like localization.
I'd recommend Unreal World, but it's technically still being worked on, so outside your criteria I suppose. The dev's been at it for like 25+ years. Then again, there's free version on the main site that's ancient but pretty feature complete.

Gandalf

Arbiter
unbelievably, doomrl just got an update, so..
Damn, that's quite the surprise after 11 years. I did check the website before posting, but not the forums...
Perhaps some idea from JH was ported to DoomRL? Just a guess.
Here's the list of changes:
0.9.9.8 BETA 3
[new] -- BETA : WARNING - speed system rewrites!
[new] -- GH#080: keybindings updates - SPACE is action key (open, close, descend, pull)
[new] -- GH#080: keybindings updates - SHIFT-G is use/wear/wield/pull from ground
[new] -- GH#074: UnlockAll option in config.lua to unlock Challenges and Difficulties
[new] -- GH#063: WK3 available for techs at clev 12+ and allows 1 more assembly mod!
[mod] -- GH#078: increased amount of enemies on Deimos and Hell
[mod] -- GH#075: overcharging a BFG doubles dice count instead of +2 dice
[mod] -- GH#075: assembly buffs - micro launcher, tower shield, ballistic armor, env boots
[mod] -- GH#075: assembly buffs - speedloader pistol, assault rifle, mother in law
[mod] -- GH#075: buffed Gothic Arms set, slightly nerfed Inquisitor Set pieces
[mod] -- GH#075: buffed Necroarmor and translocator, changed Cybernetic Armor resistances
[mod] -- GH#063: you can still mod an assembly if you take WK2 after assembling
[mod] -- GH#070: nightmare enemies are resistant to floor effects
[mod] -- GH#078: nightmare arch-vile deals 20 plasma damage (was 25 fire)
[mod] -- GH#078: nightmare imps are 20% faster and more accurate
[mod] -- GH#059: Techs get starting mod on challenges that allow them
[mod] -- GH#053: you can now properly firestorm-mod a tristar blaster
[mod] -- GH#078: buffed danger/XP and weight for elite for/ser/cap and nightmare demons
[mod] -- GH#078: former commandos and pain elemental spawn level range increased
[mod] -- GH#078: lava elemental buffed, Erebus/Lava pits have diff dependent envirosuits
[mod] -- GH#077: swapped positions of Vaults and Cathedral, Vaults enemies buffed
[fix] -- GH#050: Containment Area conquered status only achieved by full clear
[fix] -- GH#049: Deimos Lab conquered status only achieved by killing the Shamblers
[fix] -- GH#040: fixed loud/silent sound for wall-destroying levers
[fix] - GH#052: fixed error message when attacking crates with a melee weapon on AoPc
[fix] -- BETA : fixed on-kill effects (crash with DS/BA and Beretta wins and Megabuster)
[fix] -- BETA : fixed Backpack/Schematics bug
[fix] -- BETA : fixed Ironman + Berserk granting resistance above 95%
[fix] -- BETA : Vampyre blocks Ironman

Serus

Arcane
Patron
unbelievably, doomrl just got an update, so..
Damn, that's quite the surprise after 11 years. I did check the website before posting, but not the forums...
Perhaps some idea from JH was ported to DoomRL? Just a guess.
Here's the list of changes:
0.9.9.8 BETA 3
[new] -- BETA : WARNING - speed system rewrites!
[new] -- GH#080: keybindings updates - SPACE is action key (open, close, descend, pull)
[new] -- GH#080: keybindings updates - SHIFT-G is use/wear/wield/pull from ground
[new] -- GH#074: UnlockAll option in config.lua to unlock Challenges and Difficulties
[new] -- GH#063: WK3 available for techs at clev 12+ and allows 1 more assembly mod!
[mod] -- GH#078: increased amount of enemies on Deimos and Hell
[mod] -- GH#075: overcharging a BFG doubles dice count instead of +2 dice
[mod] -- GH#075: assembly buffs - micro launcher, tower shield, ballistic armor, env boots
[mod] -- GH#075: assembly buffs - speedloader pistol, assault rifle, mother in law
[mod] -- GH#075: buffed Gothic Arms set, slightly nerfed Inquisitor Set pieces
[mod] -- GH#075: buffed Necroarmor and translocator, changed Cybernetic Armor resistances
[mod] -- GH#063: you can still mod an assembly if you take WK2 after assembling
[mod] -- GH#070: nightmare enemies are resistant to floor effects
[mod] -- GH#078: nightmare arch-vile deals 20 plasma damage (was 25 fire)
[mod] -- GH#078: nightmare imps are 20% faster and more accurate
[mod] -- GH#059: Techs get starting mod on challenges that allow them
[mod] -- GH#053: you can now properly firestorm-mod a tristar blaster
[mod] -- GH#078: buffed danger/XP and weight for elite for/ser/cap and nightmare demons
[mod] -- GH#078: former commandos and pain elemental spawn level range increased
[mod] -- GH#078: lava elemental buffed, Erebus/Lava pits have diff dependent envirosuits
[mod] -- GH#077: swapped positions of Vaults and Cathedral, Vaults enemies buffed
[fix] -- GH#050: Containment Area conquered status only achieved by full clear
[fix] -- GH#049: Deimos Lab conquered status only achieved by killing the Shamblers
[fix] -- GH#040: fixed loud/silent sound for wall-destroying levers
[fix] - GH#052: fixed error message when attacking crates with a melee weapon on AoPc
[fix] -- BETA : fixed on-kill effects (crash with DS/BA and Beretta wins and Megabuster)
[fix] -- BETA : fixed Backpack/Schematics bug
[fix] -- BETA : fixed Ironman + Berserk granting resistance above 95%
[fix] -- BETA : Vampyre blocks Ironman
And then maybe not... Nothing substantial enough that would make me return to the game. I'm too used to JH by now even if DoomRL is better in some ways.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

ADOM hasn't been updated since 2020, and has felt finished since before the graphical update / steam release. If you're talking about Ultimate ADOM (which I think is pretty much abandoned), that's a completely different, inferior, beast.

DoomRL is pretty awesome, and as finished as it gets.
I'll add on to this:

ToME 2.3 (It's an angband variant, has nothing in common with nuToME. Highly recommended if you can stomach the ascii.
IVAN (Freaky body modification system, very brutal and unfair though. But also funny and unique, has tiles.)
Incursion (More abandoned than finished, but it does have a final boss to take down, and has the best implementation of 3rd edition DnD rules in any game by a mile. It gets pretty unfair in the latter floors, but I recommend it even just to fuck around on the first half or so, it's also got the coolest piety system in any roguelike, it's like what Crawl wishes it's god system was like. Also, you can get xp by stealth looting areas, if that's your thing.)
Nethack has been finished except for incredibly obscure bugfixes for years, I'm pretty sure. SlashEM variant is more fun anyways, doppleganger monks are cool, highly recommend.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
https://www.t-o-m-e.net/download.php?tome_current=0

Would b the last official releases. Seems there've been some unofficial updates since then I was unaware of. You're on your own there though.
They seem to be broken. For anybody wondering you can get the 2.3.5 variant from here:
https://archive.org/details/ArchiveRL.7z
Alternatively look on the forums of TOME4 (TOMEs do have something in common - the author) and look in the TOME2 section. You will find this link: http://www.zaimoni.com/zaiband/Angband.ref/ToME/

getter77

Augur
Classic answer is Frozen Depths.

Surprisingly contemporary answer would be something like GodoRogue.

Developer
Also Brogue is pretty much done, even if it still gets the very occasional small fan-update in the form of the community edition. It's quite good, albeit a bit too compact and repetitive to sustain long term play, IMO.

Covenant

Savant
If you're willing to emulate (or have a SNES/DS with a copy of the game), the first Shiren the Wanderer game is a lot of fun. There are elements of meta progression and you can store good items from one run to use on a future run (albeit you're giving up on them in your current run then, bar rare exceptions), but one of the final things you can unlock is a 100 level traditional roguelike dungeon. I had a lot of fun with it.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Ragnarok / Valhalla from 1992. (Valhalla is a slightly newer version with music, possibility of making backup saves and IIRC slightly better sounds.)

Viking-themed roguelike with a big (but not exclusive) emphasis on overland exploration as you collect magical weapons for the Aesir to wield on the day of Ragnarok, which is imminent. Loved it back in the day. Cool shit includes Skidbladnir, the mythologically correct ship that fits in your pocket, using a magic pathway to travel to a plane of potions or to a volcano about to explode, making a one-per-game scroll that permanently transports your mind into the most powerful monster nearby (and you can continue playing with that), and (potentially) killing Hela and taking her scythe as your own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom