Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

buffalo bill

Arcane
What game is this, i don't recognize it.
enemies don't respawn
I love the game—perhaps the finest game of all time imo—but new enemies definitely spawn on levels if you hang around long enough

Frowm an old changelog:

* The monster spawn rate on explored levels (spawning due to passage of time) is now lower

Aemar

Arcane
Reinstalled it again and and see that there is already a few new skills and prestige classes to play with.

Got my fill for now, unistalled it again.
Lmao, I need this fucking game, and I'll most likely buy it during the upcoming sale. Will have to install Windows on my laptop in order to play it, but whatever.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
A few more play in Path of Agra:

This is finally some "normal" build as far as this game goes using the most basic classs - Warrior and Champion, even the god is one of the gods you start with access to. Also my last game in 2nd cycle:
2023-12-12-12-45-23-Greenshot.jpg

My first win in Thrid Cycle:
2023-12-12-23-43-34-Greenshot.jpg

My first working summonnner build. I'm a bad, bad person though because it's a "kill your summons then kill their cadavers (literally) build". It also came close to be another "one press of a button build". In fact i was able to clear a couple of levels with one but only a couple. The final level was cleared from all regular monsters with one attack but the final boss survived the first and died to the second. If someone wants to try - be careful, this build not only kills your own summons, it actively tries to kill you - more so than many blood builds do. This is where 8x Fire Healing come in handy, they are not meant to heal from enemy hits but almost exclusively from self harm - at least in the second half of the run.

One conclusions. Game has an issue with difficulty curve. First 1/3 or 1/2 of every run is much, much harder than the later part for most builds i tried. Although, to be fair i died twice killed by the final boss so there is that.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Wow, I missed all the attention on Achra but those are some really nice sprites. It's not often you expect to find novel pixel art, nevermind with roguelikes where sprites are often just filler at best; but these are really well stylised and have their own unique thing going on. Have any of the devs / artists / etc. worked on anything else prior to this?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Wow, I missed all the attention on Achra but those are some really nice sprites. It's not often you expect to find novel pixel art, nevermind with roguelikes where sprites are often just filler at best; but these are really well stylised and have their own unique thing going on. Have any of the devs / artists / etc. worked on anything else prior to this?
No clue. The only thing i'm almost sure of is that the author is a Potato because there are several words in the language in the game - including a worm-like monster called Robak = worm in Potato. There are several other words, names of monsters, items, etc...

I found this on the official Discord of the game:
This is my first game, I started it about a year ago (april 2022). I have NO background in coding or computer science or anything (I'm actually a published poet lol, moved across the country recently and currently working at a bakery which can sometimes consume time), so if something technical is being suggested, it might have to be explained to me in childlike language
If the above is true the guy quite impressive. Doesn't say anything about graphics and art.

buffalo bill

Arcane
No clue. The only thing i'm almost sure of is that the author is a Potato because there are several words in the language in the game - including a worm-like monster called Robak = worm in Potato. There are several other words, names of monsters, items, etc...

I found this on the official Discord of the game:
This is my first game, I started it about a year ago (april 2022). I have NO background in coding or computer science or anything (I'm actually a published poet lol, moved across the country recently and currently working at a bakery which can sometimes consume time), so if something technical is being suggested, it might have to be explained to me in childlike language
If the above is true the guy quite impressive. Doesn't say anything about graphics and art.
Wow, that is pretty inspiring. Makes me want to try making my dream roguelike based on High Rise. I wonder how he (he, right?) learned?

Gandalf

Arbiter
I'm so happy that I've learned about the Path of Achra from this thread. Game is really nice! It's amazing to see this whole package of quality to be made by just a single man. That guy is talented, I can tell you that.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm so happy that I've learned about the Path of Achra from this thread. Game is really nice! It's amazing to see this whole package of quality to be made by just a single man. That guy is talented, I can tell you that.
Definitely I got the itch to buy it with all the praise in this thread.

Gandalf

Arbiter
There's a free demo available, so you can check it out to see if the game is anything to your liking.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It is praise but it also is conditional. Fantastic game if you are a build-fag, also great as short game you can play between other stuff - but at the same time not a mindless game by any means. It is however mediocre in every other way. I like it very much but I am a buildfag. Also combatfag and explorationfag but this game is not good at those.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Let's just say that i kept installing and uninstalling this game for a week straight.
PathofAchrakfx0UobzF.png

Somewhat similar to my very first winner, only instead of Shantih prestige class i tried the new Bolga one. Bolga is Death/Lightning hybrid that makes it so that your Charge stacks also improve your armor.
The end result is a survivable character who is also pretty mobile. Should have gone harder on agility and technique instead of electrokinesis i think.
PathofAchraxTkI7AOUu.png

This build completely fixes tha main issue i have with the teleporter builds. Mainly the issue of you teleporting near that one enemy you don't want be near.
They can't catch you if they're cold and sick.
PathofAchraWPZbSLKHS.png

Ascetic Ill prophet is pretty solid especially once you get a hold of a Crow Visage.
Came a bit too close to death a few times before my build was set, Oros tentacle summons really came in handy.
PathofAchraW8Pqbumpv.png

Practically the same as my previous Skeleton apostle of Humbaba. Blood-drinker and his "all blood damage now restores your health" is pretty ridiculous, my skeleton became practically unkillable the moment i chose this prestige class.
Kinda goes against the idea of skeleton apostle as you actually want to die fairly often in order to trigger divine interventions and get these sweet stat boosts but it actually felt stronger than my previous one. Those few enemy groups who could actually kill me were in for some nasty surprise.

Also tried VHS9000 no nonsense cyclops champion build. I liked it.
Uninstalled again for now. Will wait until the dev adds a few more content as i am still interested in figuring out how to make Snakedancer and Arborus work.

Last edited:

VHS9000

Novice
Don't know, feels like after few updates game became too easy, fire healing/bloodbath melee builds break through final cycle like steamroller.

MEQVAHG_o.jpg

MEQV8QT_o.jpg

Still can't make any ice builds work, apparently the ice skill tree sucks by the concept. :(

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Dev updates the game very frequently. Hopefully some skills will get a rework.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Don't know, feels like after few updates game became too easy, fire healing/bloodbath melee builds break through final cycle like steamroller.

MEQVAHG_o.jpg

MEQV8QT_o.jpg

Still can't make any ice builds work, apparently the ice skill tree sucks by the concept. :(
Add to that the fact ice has the least skills to choose from, 1-2 less than all other... types. Or it had last time i checked. This suggests that at 1 more ice skill is in the works.

I need to play Cogmind one day.

Gandalf

Arbiter
How do I lit the candle? Pressed Z to open inventory and put the candle in the worm segment. Didn't made a trick.

getter77

Augur
Was solid with potential among the few at that time on the OGL front for it before things got weird on said front, unsure if game abandoned or if a consequence of the dev seemingly having disappeared outright this past fair while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom