Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Sweeper

Arcane
I know they have roleplaying game in the name, but technically they aren't RPGs.
If I can level up a character as an assassin in DDDA, and then at level 200 simply switch vocations and change the augments with a little rank grinding, how the fuck is that role playing?
This is the pitfall of J"RPGs", they basically invalidate all choice when it comes to character building, and fundamentally there's no difference between them and action games.
They can be great games but they aren't RPGs and the decision to split them into their own category is a justified one.

Also, go fuck yourself Niggerman for forcing me to vote for Larian. Cunt.

GamerCat_

Educated
Which ones? They disagreed to the point of killing each other at times.

Anyone. Do you know anything about what they believed at all, and can you cite a single source?
I've looked at bits and pieces of all kinds of things and believe I have a workable picture put together. I once saw the first five minutes of Schindler's List.

Because if you can't, i don't see how you could comment on a refutation of their beliefs. Unless you think the only refutation needed is "Nazi bad hurr durr". You know, the trained NPC response.
The commentary on Schuon wasn't really framed as a refutation of Nazism. And if the nature of Schuon's work was refuting Nazism then I don't see it's relevance when we're talking about video games.

I pulled out as much of the piece as I was able to find relevant already and told you that I found it unhelpful and incapable of meaningfully informing any positions in the current discussion. And as for your actual positions in this discussion, my interest is not in your sources, it is in these beliefs you allegedly have. I assure you you are not the only one in this thread who has read a book before. But if you learned anything from these books you should just be able to tell me without demanding an assessment of your own sources.

I just want to know what you think.

What i think is what Schuon wrote.
What was Schuon's favourite JRPG? Did he like any? I don't have the patience to read his books and find out for myself.

Western "indie" is a subculture/scene that has nothing to do with a desire for artistic independence. Western "indie" games are mostly half assed attention seeking clones of things that already exist. The first wave of American "indies" were a fake counterculture of posers who saw existing culture as something to fight. And they were handed the win. All American games are spiritual indies now. In your face with performative rebellion against perceived (and non-existent) stagnant standards which they are stunningly rebelling against.

The history of western indie is very barren in retrospect. Hellish times. Hellish scenes. Pretty much every good western "indie" was actually completely unrelated to the western scene and was just european autists doing their own thing which could only be done that way and would have been regardless of anything else going on in the world (Hotline Miami, Factorio, Fear & Hunger, etc).

I was talking about the impulse, not the quality of the outcome.

That westerners or "whites" are generally more creative than the other groups is an historical reality. The sheer amount of cultural variation found among white peoples is all the evidence anyone needs.
I actually rather dislike the term "creative". It mostly lends itself to absurd and meaningless statements like "more creative than the other groups", "creative genes", etc. "The sheer amount of cultural variation found among white peoples"? Cultures are just distinct. Distinction is what makes culture and what culture is. I really don't know what this variation among white peoples is supposed to mean or how it signals "creative" superiority.

But, as i pointed out already, this can be both a positive or a negative.
Positive or negative towards what end?

Modern art is very much a negative consequence of this impulse.
By that do you mean poser jews in new york ripping off grants and museums and farming prestige in a creatively dead cultural scene as a specific period in history, or do you hate everything after Arno Breker statues?

The hipster culture of the mid 2000s out of which much of the western indie gaming scene sprung from is another.
I would say it was more or less the same phenomena repeating itself in another scene that was creatively dead but had money.

Lyric Suite does not speak from experience. Never owned a console, missed all the many hugely innovative console classics.

Maybe, but as far as i can see it seems Japanese games are all spiritually arcade games. Even the Wizardry clones have this aspect to them.
And an arcade game is?

Western games, at least up to the 90s, before corporate culture took over, seemed to be rooted more in a desire to push the medium forward, to see what could be accomplished through computing technology, hence the focus on the PC platform, which was basically like a mainframe for home use. Just look at the kind of games IT students were making for their university mainframes back in the 70s. Advenure games, strategy games, RPGs, even online games. It's amazing how much of what we now call typical genres of the PC platform came out all in tandem almost right away.
"The Medium" didn't functionally exist. "Medium for what?" is the obvious question. These were experiments and toys built on computers. They were not pushing a medium forward. They were stem guys doing stem stuff.

One friend of mine once said in conversation that "The Japanese invented video games." I agree. The Japanese were the ones who made it plausible to ask "Medium for what?" There was no medium until there was vision beyond technical construction for its own sake.

BTW, reguarding the "staleness" of modern corporate western gaming, that might just be a result of westerners attempting to emulate the Japanese without having an actual understanding or affinity to how Japanese made games. The shift from PC gaming to console gaming with the advent of multiplatform development killed that original spirit of experimentation.
This is an almost correct explanation of a lot of things but framed very ethnonarcissistically. The creative drive in western (especially American) gaming was 90% technicians seeing what was possible. Possible for the accomplishment of what? Nothing. Just technically possible. The rest is incidental and comes later. The history of American innovation is solutions looking for problems. Technical exercises and experiments and toys. The history of Japanese innovations is seeing these American solutions and actually putting them to meaningful use. Also largely true of Europe, who struggled far less with consoles (when they could afford to develop for them, meaning the English were very well off). Europe makes an interesting mix of novel technical exercise and artistic utilisation of existing forms, so I like them a lot.

You want this to be something like a confusion of incompatibility of essences or something. What's actually happening is shartmericans are completely retarded cultureless dirt-eating animals who among younger, further gone generations can do nothing with artistic tools. They are only fit for creating tools (and increasingly less so now). Is there a single notable American artist under the age of 60?

Console gaming enviorment may have been congenial for the Japanese given their natural or cultural proclivities, but it was not so for western developers so all their drive and inspiration was killed in the process.
You want to believe this comes down to circumstances, and to an extent it does. But not as handily as you'd like it to be.

Japan rapes your precious stemniggers first as artists and now as technicians. Your arno breker statues lie in ruins. Heil the Rising Sun.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I know they have roleplaying game in the name, but technically they aren't RPGs.
If I can level up a character as an assassin in DDDA, and then at level 200 simply switch vocations and change the augments with a little rank grinding, how the fuck is that role playing?
This is the pitfall of J"RPGs", they basically invalidate all choice when it comes to character building, and fundamentally there's no difference between them and action games.
They can be great games but they aren't RPGs and the decision to split them into their own category is a justified one.

Also, go fuck yourself Niggerman for forcing me to vote for Larian. Cunt.
roll players are smelly nerds and should be beaten and humiliated.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The commentary on Schuon wasn't really framed as a refutation of Nazism. And if the nature of Schuon's work was refuting Nazism then I don't see it's relevance when we're talking about video games.

It's relevant to you calling me a Nazi.

It's also relevant to people screeching like autistic retards every time the subject of race comes up, usually because they are ignorant of any other position besides far-left anti-racism or far-right racism. So when they see a person arguing for the existence of race, they automatically assume they belong to latter, like you did.

It's also relevant because a big reason Japanese games and Western games are so different is because of the racial question.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Is there a single notable Japanese artist at all?

In film, we can talk about Kurosawa and Ozu. Maybe Takashi Miike if you are an hipster, or Miyazaki if you are a weeb.

Music? Lmao yeah. You got Toru Takemitzu and then what?

Art? Like what, mangas? Lmao more chidish shit.

What else you got.

Meanwhile, if i were to drawn up a list of great American novelists, poets, film directors, artists, musicians, i could just waist two hours and i wouldn't be done.

I mean, you wanted to play this game, this is what you get.

Ash

Arcane
Maybe, but as far as i can see it seems Japanese games are all spiritually arcade games. Even the Wizardry clones have this aspect to them.

Western games, at least up to the 90s, before corporate culture took over, seemed to be rooted more in a desire to push the medium forward, to see what could be accomplished through computing technology, hence the focus on the PC platform, which was basically like a mainframe for home use. Just look at the kind of games IT students were making for their university mainframes back in the 70s. Advenure games, strategy games, RPGs, even online games. It's amazing how much of what we now call typical genres of the PC platform came out all in tandem almost right away.

In the 90s, many Japanese games were extremely revolutionary and forward-thinking in their own right. Perhaps slightly less so than PC gaming overall, but there is some really great shit you need to try. Like PC gaming, console gaming was in its golden age too at the time. It was such a wonderful time.

Nostaljaded

Augur
...Most indie Japanese games i've seen are just low budget versions of the same type of games commercial Japanese companies make.

Beg to differ.
[Unless they are now all exclusives to DMM (which I'm unaware of),] there's such a dearth of commercial JRPG eroges that propels me to the doujin (jap indie) eroges since some years ago.
So doujin eroge developers have been mostly charting their own destinies for a long while.

E.g. This year a doujin developer, specializing in imoutocon (younger-sis-con) eroges, exceeded 100k Steam sales within 8 days, on top of almost 80k DLsite Jap sales for its 2022 monochrome title [attractive regional pricing probably plays a role].

oUuzH4n.png

Not citing, so as not to be the instigator for yet-to-self-discover-they-are-imoutocons kodexers & lurkers. :M

JB_0x0003

Literate
CAMILLE BIDAN IS A TEENAGE BOY!
who? never used him.
i only field cute girls and cool guys like ryoma
Okay so Rayearth starts it's story with the school girls going to Tokyo tower.

So you're still wrong and you're a pedophile.
cross ange girls > rayearth girls.
And Ange is 16 and it's a school setting that highly sexualizes the characters.

I think that's enough evidence for how weird you JRPG freaks are. You're lusting after underage girls and trying to tell others they don't know the genre because you're so uninformed yourself it's the only way you can cope.

Sorry to derail this amazing thread guys. You can see the type of person who thinks Japanese games are better and why. And it's the young girls wearing skimpy bikinis pretending to be their friends. It's never the plot or the world building, it's just a disgusting fetish with as minimal gameplay as possible.

Something that I think is often ignored when scolding the Japanese is that this kind of thing was extremely common in western media up until quite recently.

About an hour ago I was watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where a 22 year old college senior, a grown man, hits on the main character, a 16 year old girl. This wasn't portrayed negatively at all. and it came out in 1998, so not exactly a far gone barbaric past. Now, Hollywood of course neurotically vacillates between absolute paedotry and being the mayor from footloose screaming at 18 year olds being attracted to 17 year olds, so this isn't the best example, but in most media before a certain year, it's taken for a given that this is something that a plurality of men would be attracted to. Sometimes it would be seen as somewhat shameful or juvenile to act on this, but it was always taken as given that the desire was simply there, rather than being a hyper specific perversion or failure of morals.

Now, obviously, it's immoral to be pursuing or bedding young girls, but that's a law we've created to alter people's behavior. It didn't retroactively change men. Assuming it did, and labeling a hefty cross-section of the population as 'sick' because this didn't happen is just fanciful.

Everyone likes games about destroying the system, ignoring the law, and enforcing your own personal justice through violence. In fact, most people here love Fallout: New Vegas. That's also wrong to do. Is portraying and glorifying it that different in this other case?

I wrote a previous post in response to yours in which I cited some very relevant crime statistics vis a vis child molestation in the two countries, but as based men we both know how authority figures get about statistics, so it was deleted. Suffice to say the comparison was not very favorable for the United States compared to Japan, even using standards more strict than the US applies to itself. Food for thought when discussing who exactly is a sick freak.

Is there a single notable Japanese artist at all?
I think they're immanently notable in the domain of science fiction. Yukikaze is one of my favorite science fiction novels, and, frankly, is better than every hugo-approved book I've read in the last 40 years. It's a lot more sophisticated in its themes than most western science fiction considered to be classics in the west. I've only really read non-fiction in the last few years, so I'm not super knowledgeable of media you'd find "serious" outside of pet niches, unfortunately.

This also isn't Japanese, but I'm a huge fan of early korean short stories from the occupation period. They're very dry expressions of suffering that never directly say emotions, similar to hemmingway. Some of them actually predate him. Unfortunately, Korean cultural output almost immediately sank like a stone soon after the Japanese stopped oppressing them. If you want a specific recommendation, I think "Coarse Sand" is a good short introduction to the genre. You can read it for free here, if you're interested beyond posturing. It isn't talked about much in the west because most Korean Lit kinda sucks, but is broadly read in korea and japan iirc.

Ash

Arcane
I've been playing a lot of indies in recent years to cover what the industry is failing to provide. Not a single one is Japanese. I tend to stay away from low effort anime art (high effort, like say Akira or Dorohedoro would be great). It seems there's not much indie coming out of Japan in general?

:philosoraptor:

Makes sense actually, given they're console central. Indie is predominantly PC. If you're going independent, PC needs to be your primary target so you can be self-sufficient.

Modron

Arcane
There are Japanese indies out there see Astlibra Revision (solodev labor of love 14 years in the making) but I am sure others could give you better overview of the indie scene.

It's hard to tell the real small stuff from medium sized studio projects over there:

Last edited:

GamerCat_

Educated

It's relevant to you calling me a Nazi.
I called you someone who really doesn't want to be a Nazi. But also wants to have their stuff.
It's also relevant to people screeching like autistic retards every time the subject of race comes up, usually because they are ignorant of any other position besides far-left anti-racism or far-right racism. So when they see a person arguing for the existence of race, they automatically assume they belong to latter, like you did.
You haven't expressed an opinion yet. You cited a small fragment of impractically vague and general summary and seem to believe that the fact you like Schuon should speak for you. That's not how citing works, or why people cite.

Schuon did not write about video games. I understand that his beliefs could be applied to the subject. As the one who believes that this is not only relevant but correct, the onus is on you to do so. And as I said, if you actually had a relevant and applicable understanding of Schuon you would most likely have been so eager to do so that you would have simply done this immediately, instead of making this chain of posts accusing me of bad faith engagement for trying to make you actually discuss the subject at hand.

It's also relevant because a big reason Japanese games and Western games are so different is because of the racial question.
Sure. Elaborate. And I'll answer you in advance; "My opinion is Schuon's" is not an elaboration.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I've been playing a lot of indies in recent years to cover what the industry is failing to provide. Not a single one is Japanese. I tend to stay away from low effort anime art (high effort, like say Akira or Dorohedoro would be great). It seems there's not much indie coming out of Japan in general?

:philosoraptor:

Makes sense actually, given they're console central. Indie is predominantly PC. If you're going independent, PC needs to be your primary target so you can be self-sufficient.
for some mysterious reason most japanese indies are... in japanese...

Ash

Arcane
For some mysterious reason you've never heard of localization? Probably the cheapest and easiest paradigm in game dev.

Reinhardt

Arcane
For some mysterious reason you've never heard of localization? Probably the cheapest and easiest paradigm in game dev.
i heard. usually it's shit and not worth the momey you spent on it. especially if you are smol indie.

Ash

Arcane
My mod (GMDX for Deus Ex) was localized in like 6 different languages (English/French/German/Russian/Spanish/Hungarian) with almost zero time and effort on my part. Those people did it for free in a few days, to show how straightforward it is. In business it is of course a bit different, but it is ALWAYS worth it to expand your audience. That's just common sense. Well, I suppose if you're making a novel-sized "game" in terms of word count it can be a bit costly for an indie. I am definitely not interested in any storyfag indies.

Odoryuk

Educated
Japanese devs would be dominating for years if they'd ever bother to localise every small, obscure and inane game they ever produced.
Maybe Sony's gaming department wouldn't be handled to gaijin, and that would have benefitted us all.

Reinhardt

Arcane
My mod (GMDX for Deus Ex) was localized in like 6 different languages (English/French/German/Russian/Spanish/Hungarian) with almost zero time and effort on my part. Those people did it for free in a few days, to show how straightforward it is. In business it is of course a bit different, but it is ALWAYS worth it to expand your audience. That's just common sense. Well, I suppose if you're making a novel-sized "game" in terms of word count it can be a bit costly for an indie. I am definitely not interested in any storyfag indies.
asian languages are different beast.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, I can't pretend to know much in that regard. Fair.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah, I can't pretend to know much in that regard. Fair.
You need to know 10,000 kanji to read at a third grade equivalent, it's a pretty big barrier to non native speakers and the reason Japanese probably isn't some linqua franca for nerds.

Reinhardt

Arcane
same with chinese. look at heluo games - they make great games but "translation" often makes your eyes(and brian) bleed and playing through them is very special experience. or at least it was like that last time i checked, maybe they improved.

Readher

Savant
For some mysterious reason indie devs from Eastern Europe release in English at the very least and often localize to multiple other languages as well. Japs are simply 50 IQ mongrels incapable of learning other languages. This is why a retard like Nomura comes out seething about the term JRPG being a thing, since he can't see how Japanese RPGs are any different from Western ones. Well, of course he can't, he likely never played an actual cRPG since you need to know English to do that. Fucking slant-eyed brainlet.

One thing Nomura would like to see happen as a result of FFVII Remake is for the term 'J-RPG' to be put to rest. "This term, 'J-RPG', I don't approve of it," he says. "I don't get why it's being referred to as such -- it almost feels like people are kind of making fun of RPGs that are coming out of Japan. I think 'well, how are they different to RPGs coming from other countries, what's the difference?' It feels very uncomfortable when people bring up the term JRPG."
An actual retard. Even the biggest japslop enjoyers will list 10 things that make JRPGs different from Western ones.

Reinhardt

Arcane
For some mysterious reason indie devs from Eastern Europe release in English at the very least and often localize to multiple other languages as well.
releasing in english is the ONLY hope european potatos have to sell their game. asian indies don't really interested in foreign markets. it's not even secondary target for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom