Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Reinhardt

Arcane
also if translation to completely different languages is so easy then why "indy devs from eastern europe" don't release their games in chinese? imagine - unlocking giant chinese market and selling your pixel art deck builder fallout mod to hundreds of millions ching-chong. easy money laying on the ground. just do it!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
same with chinese. look at heluo games - they make great games but "translation" often makes your eyes(and brian) bleed and playing through them is very special experience. or at least it was like that last time i checked, maybe they improved.

they improved! by not releasing their game in English of course

releasing in english is the ONLY hope european potatos have to sell their game. asian indies don't really interested in foreign markets. it's not even secondary target for them.

Doujin game scene in general is very local focused in Japan and it actually requires publishers seeing "shit this game is good" to get them translated (or well shoverlware NTR H Games usually got cheap MTL-ed en masse). Japanese indie game scene is just very insulated.

Chinese translations accessible to indie games are either very shit copy paste mobile game shovelware tier or too expensive to bother. MTL is not really an option because Chinese written media (manhuas/webnovel/games) are only start getting picked up in the west like the past 3 - 5 years and MTL quality is mostly equally shit.

Readher

Savant
and who did it?
Darkwood devs, Noita devs, Black Book devs, Loop Hero devs. Name any at least decent game from Eastern Europe devs and it's been localised to Simplified Chinese.
Also ATOM devs, Larian (even before BG3). They translate to Japanese too, unlike talentless Japcucks who can't do shit.

Before someone comes to point out that Larian isn't Eastern European, I know. The Eastern Europe was just to point out that even the poorest "Western" regions are capable of releasing in several languages, including exotic ones like Chinese or Japanese, while Japs are incapable of even releasing in English. I love how Jap games require a special Western publisher that is years behind in releases compared to Japan and sells old games for $60/$70 (another typical Jap thing, pricing indie games like they're AAA) as if they were brand new, just because it only got English translation now. This would be unthinkable in the West where e.g. Larian adds languages for free in a patch. Japs are a blight on the industry and are no better than AAA slop pubishers, even worse in some aspects (though also better in others).

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Larian (even before BG3). They translate to Japanese too, unlike talentless Japcucks who can't do shit.
smol larian studio released japanese version of bg3 half year after initial release
so your rant
Before someone comes to point out that Larian isn't Eastern European, I know. The Eastern Europe was just to point out that even the poorest "Western" regions are capable of releasing in several languages, including exotic ones like Chinese or Japanese, while Japs are incapable of even releasing in English. I love how Jap games require a special Western publisher that is years behind in releases compared to Japan and sells old games for $60/$70 (another typical Jap thing, pricing indie games like they're AAA) as if they were brand new, just because it only got English translation now. This would be unthinkable in the West where e.g. Larian adds languages for free in a patch. Japs are a blight on the industry and are no better than AAA slop pubishers, even worse in some aspects (though also better in others).
is just, well, rant. dat bear cock was probably real tasty.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I am speaking to the audience and using you as a backboard.

It's funny because this is what i've been doing.

You seem to be a newfag so you are unaware i've been talking about this stuff for years and i'm expecting people to pretty much know everything i've said on the subject, as well as know the thoughts of Schuon inside out at this point. The reason i didn't feel like explaining things in any great detail is that i didn't really want to pollute the thread with too much of my usual stuff, i just dropped the link expecting people to understand the subject.

This is irrelevant. Different ways of knowing or acquiring knowledge are not the cause of conflict here. You simply can't understand things people are saying to you.

Seems to me you are not really saying anything brah.

What is even your argument, exactly? That's it is culture and not race? Is the screeching due the fact i appear to be implying whites are somehow superior to Japanese (i'm not, but then you would have to pay attention to realize that), even as you were attempting to argue the reverse (Japanese games are better 'cause of muh fun).

Lot's of words, a lot of anger, no actual substance that i can see, which also made it difficult to even pinpoint something worth addressing at all. I don't want to "debate", i wanna talk about shit that actually matters, which is WHY there is such a fundamental difference between western games and Japanese games to the point the two are always seen as two separate categories.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Now the Japanese, this might look at first like a strange inversion of the principle I keep raising, the white man is apparently compromising his game for what his game represents, while the Japanese are disregarding what is represented for game. Is that what's happening? No. Jshmups are (or were) arcade experiences first. And the arcade is a unique and cultivated sensory experience in itself. Noise, lights, layout, it is all appealing to and competing for your attention. To get you on the game and get you engaged. Arcades are all about stimulation. This influences both the presentation and the form of the games they hosted. Fast, reactive, novel, satisfying and exciting to the senses, these were desired traits. You don't go to the flashing lights and noise club to the bound by gravity. You aren't subject to inertia in the jshmup not because a judgement was made on what would make for the optimal potential complexity in game design. Inertia is out because it is overridden by the rule of cool.

The white man knows he's making a plane-game so he thinks "what is a plane? How does it work? What does it do?" Japanese man knows he's making an arcade game and thinks "what's awesome?" Of course, what the first guy thought would have gotten the ball rolling, each culture referring to its own prior examples. If the first white guy thought "fuck inertia faster is cooler" and the Japanese man thought "horrrr, prane go srow!" maybe things would have gone different. But perhaps the nature of these respective cultures made that highly unlikely from the outset.

Now this is interesting, because it conforms precisely to what i have been saying.

The white man looks at the ideal. Since the operating principle of white peoples is what is known in Hinduism as sattva (purity, harmony, essence), he is naturally drawn towards the conceptual and the essential, anything that pertains to the formal or archetypal, and he also favors truth above all else.

The Asian mindset, being rajas oriented (passion, energy) has no regard for the essence or truth of an object or idea, the focus is purely on what is expansive, on what moves and burns like fire. You can see this especially in Japanese art in games, all of which is completely out of touch with reality, no matter how virtuosic it may be. Asian art feels like the ripples in a flowing river. Something has to constantly surface there can never be any repose or simplicity.

And that is the reason why no matter what, western games and Japanese games remain two completely separate worlds.

Now as a white man, i can adapt and learn to appreciate Japanese art and games but instinctively there will always be certain elements in them i cannot warm up to. This applies also to westerners adopting Japanese ways of thinking. The "press a button, awesome" retardation was instantly ridiculed on this forum but that is essentially par per course in most Japanese games. The idea of a warrior doing backflips with full plate armor and all sorts of unrealistic retarded shit like that makes my white ass boil in anger, since it's clearly a betrayal of the truth. That shit is common to many Japanese games and it's an instant turn off for a lot of us.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Nothing in DD2 feels japanese. If you didn't know who the developer was you'd never guess it was the japanese who made it. It doesn't have the obvious quirks and "tells" like a FromSoft western style RPG does.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nothing in DD2 feels japanese. If you didn't know who the developer was you'd never guess it was the japanese who made it. It doesn't have the obvious quirks and "tells" like a FromSoft western style RPG does.

Not saying it's completely impossible for a Japanese developer to get into the spirit of the western mind but somehow i doubt it there's really zero tell tale signs the game is Japanese. The original DD is on my roster of games to play next so i guess i'll find out soon.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Recent tweet from Jet Set Radio's composer

So this retardation has reached the minds of the Japanese now. Sad.

The retard doesn't understand the reason black is associated with evil is because of darkness. There's a reason the night can be scary. Absence of light is a clear analogy to the absence of the divine which is the true definition of evil and hell. White is good because white is associated with light and black is bad and evil because it's associated with the dark. Can't believe anyone would even have to explain this to those imbeciles.

Black people aren't actually "black" in the first place. Their skin color is brown because their race is of the earth, as all African art demonstrates.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

Not saying it's completely impossible for a Japanese developer to get into the spirit of the western mind but somehow i doubt it there's really zero tell tale signs the game is Japanese.
Tbf I haven't finished it but I'm well over 50 hours into it. I haven't noticed anything that feels very japaneezy. The first game had some obvious tells I felt like.

911 Jumper

Learned

So this retardation has reached the minds of the Japanese now. Sad.

The retard doesn't understand the reason black is associated with evil is because of darkness. There's a reason the night can be scary. Absence of light is a clear analogy to the absence of the divine which is the true definition of evil and hell. White is good because white is associated with light and black is bad and evil because it's associated with the dark. Can't believe anyone would even have to explain this to those imbeciles.

Black people aren't actually "black" in the first place. Their skin color is brown because their race is of the earth, as all African art demonstrates.
Yep. It was only a matter of time, though. It's wishful thinking to expect Japan to be immune from the stuff that plagues the West. A core component of modern American culture is the promotion of an Afrocentric worldview and the elevation of blackness. The internet transcends borders, which means Western media propaganda containing the previously mentioned can spread in ways that were simply not possible in the past.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Now as a white man
Nigga, wtf are you talking about?
You're Italian.

The idea of a warrior doing backflips with full plate armor and all sorts of unrealistic retarded shit like that makes my white ass boil in anger, since it's clearly a betrayal of the truth.
You're making a very big generalization out of a distaste specific to a few (i.e. autists)

Elttharion

Learned

Naganuma is pandering to his they/them western twitter audience. He is similar to Uchikoshi, both spend a lot of time talking to trannies on twitter and became brain rotted as a result.

Naganuma is pretty much one bad day away from trannying himself nowadays anyway, so take that as you will. Not that this stuff isnt infecting Japan tho, just that this dude is especially retarded.

911 Jumper

Learned

Naganuma is pandering to his they/them western twitter audience. He is similar to Uchikoshi, both spend a lot of time talking to trannies on twitter and became brain rotted as a result.

Naganuma is pretty much one bad day away from trannying himself nowadays anyway, so take that as you will. Not that this stuff isnt infecting Japan tho, just that this dude is especially retarded.

Wasn't aware of that. Well, it's a surprise. I don't remember him being like that when I read his Dreamcast-related interviews during the early 2000s. Sounds as if he has changed in the last couple of decades.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Wasn't aware of that. Well, it's a surprise. I don't remember him being like that when I read his Dreamcast-related interviews during the early 2000s. Sounds as if he has changed in the last couple of decades.
Alot of people have. I've known people who made fun of trannies and fags constantly many years ago and it's like they got some kind of brain transplant and now they woke af. I'll never understand how a person's personality can just completely change like that. It's bizarre.

911 Jumper

Learned
Alot of people have. I've known people who made fun of trannies and fags constantly many years ago and it's like they got some kind of brain transplant and now they woke af. I'll never understand how a person's personality can just completely change like that. It's bizarre.
Most people, particularly in the West, are liberals at heart so they subscribe to the “live and let live” worldview. There's also the fear of being ostracised. Those in power exploit this fear to compel people to accept bad ideas and lies.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Most people, particularly in the West, are liberals at heart so they subscribe to the “live and let live” worldview. There's also the fear of being ostracised. Those in power exploit this fear to compel people to accept bad ideas and lies.
Only in bigger towns and cities. You go to more rural areas and wokeism is extremely rare. Tons of people casually use words like nigger and faggot in public. Nobody makes a stink of it. I've had multiple supervisors say racist shit in front of multiple people while on the job. We're a different breed. We don't fear da gubmint.

At my old machine shop I worked at we had a useless lazy nigger get hired and one of the older guys there called him that to his face and then supposedly tried to run him over in the parking lot. He never got fired. The nigger did, lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom