Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

911 Jumper

Learned
Only in bigger towns and cities. You go to more rural areas and wokeism is extremely rare. Tons of people casually use words like nigger and faggot in public. Nobody makes a stink of it. I've had multiple supervisors say racist shit in front of multiple people while on the job. We're a different breed. We don't fear da gubmint.
You're not wrong. But how long are those rural areas going to remain mostly woke-free? When the demographics change, the views of the people will change, too. If it can reach a far off island nation like Japan, then it can reach the rural areas of America, Canada, England, etc.
The West is getting Blacked, Africanised – that's really what “wokeism” is fundamentally about. It's about pushing the West towards an Afrocentric future. The tranny / LGBT stuff is a sideshow in comparison.

GamerCat_

Educated
Nothing in DD2 feels japanese. If you didn't know who the developer was you'd never guess it was the japanese who made it. It doesn't have the obvious quirks and "tells" like a FromSoft western style RPG does.
The real Dragon's Dogma 2 is Dragon's Dogma Online, which was a Japan-only release (keyed). Dragon's Dogma 2(3) was an explicitly western-oriented operation top to bottom. And the Japanese are so naive and sharp that when they make something for westerners it's like a joke or an insult, because they just deliver trends and expressed (at top levels) desires so faithfully. "Herro Americanu, we make game forr you. Many niggeru, everyone ugrry." Games like this and Forspoken don't represent a change in Japanese thinking and tastes. They represent a change in what the japanese think of us (which is correct). The games they make for Americans are hideous and retarded because Americans are hideous and retarded.

I am speaking to the audience and using you as a backboard.

It's funny because this is what i've been doing.
Like I said to the other guy, have you ever been recognised for your intelligence?

What makes you think anybody cares what you think?
You seem to be a newfag so you are unaware i've been talking about this stuff for years
One would expect you to have gotten good at something you've been doing for years.
and i'm expecting people to pretty much know everything i've said on the subject
Do you think I'm writing about Halo for the first time on this site? If you're a real thinker it's a pleasure to explore ideas and even repeat them.

as well as know the thoughts of Schuon inside out at this point.
Why don't we ask the 'dex about Schuon and see how many people have learned?

Hey, 'dexxers? How many of you now understand Schuon thanks to Lyric Suite's history of posting? How many of you can describe or explain something in Schuonian language? Have any of you ever gotten the impression LS was informed by a different mental model to the rest of you?

The reason i didn't feel like explaining things in any great detail is that i didn't really want to pollute the thread with too much of my usual stuff, i just dropped the link expecting people to understand the subject.
"Pollute the thread", what the fuck is the point of a forum or a thread, to say either "Baldur's Gate 3 is good" or "Baldur's Gate 3 is bad" for 600 pages?

If this potential discussion would be pollution why even fucking bother? Why don't we all just kill ourselves right now?

This is irrelevant. Different ways of knowing or acquiring knowledge are not the cause of conflict here. You simply can't understand things people are saying to you.

Seems to me you are not really saying anything brah.

What is even your argument, exactly? That's it is culture and not race? Is the screeching due the fact i appear to be implying whites are somehow superior to Japanese (i'm not, but then you would have to pay attention to realize that), even as you were attempting to argue the reverse (Japanese games are better 'cause of muh fun).

Lot's of words, a lot of anger, no actual substance that i can see, which also made it difficult to even pinpoint something worth addressing at all. I don't want to "debate", i wanna talk about shit that actually matters, which is WHY there is such a fundamental difference between western games and Japanese games to the point the two are always seen as two separate categories.
You stupid fucking bastard, you just keep digging yourself deeper. You are a backboard. Everything just bounces off you over and over again. THUD, THUD, THUD. That's the sound of you, reading.

My argument is that you have yet to express a meaningful contribution to the discussion. You haven't even meaningfully elaborated upon this school of thought which you present in place of a relevant contribution. There is no explanatory power to a single thing you have posted. It's all allusion to theory, which I imagine you don't actually understand. Your argument, is not an argument. It is poorly and shallowly laying out concepts you consider prestigious and then proudly standing back.

Now the Japanese, this might look at first like a strange inversion of the principle I keep raising, the white man is apparently compromising his game for what his game represents, while the Japanese are disregarding what is represented for game. Is that what's happening? No. Jshmups are (or were) arcade experiences first. And the arcade is a unique and cultivated sensory experience in itself. Noise, lights, layout, it is all appealing to and competing for your attention. To get you on the game and get you engaged. Arcades are all about stimulation. This influences both the presentation and the form of the games they hosted. Fast, reactive, novel, satisfying and exciting to the senses, these were desired traits. You don't go to the flashing lights and noise club to the bound by gravity. You aren't subject to inertia in the jshmup not because a judgement was made on what would make for the optimal potential complexity in game design. Inertia is out because it is overridden by the rule of cool.

The white man knows he's making a plane-game so he thinks "what is a plane? How does it work? What does it do?" Japanese man knows he's making an arcade game and thinks "what's awesome?" Of course, what the first guy thought would have gotten the ball rolling, each culture referring to its own prior examples. If the first white guy thought "fuck inertia faster is cooler" and the Japanese man thought "horrrr, prane go srow!" maybe things would have gone different. But perhaps the nature of these respective cultures made that highly unlikely from the outset.

Now this is interesting, because it conforms precisely to what i have been saying.

The white man looks at the ideal. Since the operating principle of white peoples is what is known in Hinduism as sattva (purity, harmony, essence), he is naturally drawn towards the conceptual and the essential, anything that pertains to the formal or archetypal, and he also favors truth above all else.

The Asian mindset, being rajas oriented (passion, energy) has no regard for the essence or truth of an object or idea, the focus is purely on what is expansive, on what moves and burns like fire. You can see this especially in Japanese art in games, all of which is completely out of touch with reality, no matter how virtuosic it may be. Asian art feels like the ripples in a flowing river. Something has to constantly surface there can never be any repose or simplicity.
This might as well be a horoscope for all of its rigour and explanatory power.

Just by looking for patterns and investigating the lives and motivations of particular artists and craftsmen I have been able to refine my understanding of approaches to modern arts and media between these two cultures into far finer and more specific terms. What the hell do we need you or Schuon for? What do you offer that I don't? Again, I am the one apparently actually capable of applying a theory of cultures on this site. You have not done this here. You have looked at my observation, and again laid out Schuon and proudly stood back.

What does applied Schuon look like? So far, it appears that an understanding of Schuon will empower you to show up at an ongoing discussion of cultures and say "sattva and rajas".

And that is the reason why no matter what, western games and Japanese games remain two completely separate worlds.
What does "completely separate worlds" even mean?

Now as a white man, i can adapt and learn to appreciate Japanese art and games but instinctively there will always be certain elements in them i cannot warm up to.
As an autistic man, you lack taste.

This applies also to westerners adopting Japanese ways of thinking. The "press a button, awesome" retardation was instantly ridiculed on this forum but that is essentially par per course in most Japanese games. The idea of a warrior doing backflips with full plate armor and all sorts of unrealistic retarded shit like that makes my white ass boil in anger, since it's clearly a betrayal of the truth. That shit is common to many Japanese games and it's an instant turn off for a lot of us.
xc6gjjv-TTgsipgn-YTGX4i-J.jpg

JB_0x0003

Literate
Recent tweet from Jet Set Radio's composer

This isn't a new thing, Naganuma has been sampling malcom x speeches in his music for two decades now. it's mostly specific to this one guy, who you hear about a lot because he's mega westernized and♥️️‍♥️ loves ♥️️‍♥️ trannies.

Lyric Suite, since you seem to be something of a reader, have you gotten around to glancing at anything I recommended you? You seem very openminded so I'm surprised you haven't taken a gander yet. I'd also be willing to read anything you recommend me, besides schuon (he seems kinda boring and faggy tbh)

911 Jumper

Learned

This isn't a new thing, Naganuma has been sampling malcom x speeches in his music for two decades now. it's mostly specific to this one guy, who you hear about a lot because he's mega westernized and♥️️‍♥️ loves ♥️️‍♥️ trannies.

I didn't know that he had become like this. Admittedly I stopped to paying attention to his work after JSRF. He does seem to be fond of LGBT

JB_0x0003

Literate

I didn't know that he had become like this. Admittedly I stopped to paying attention to his work after JSRF. He does seem to be fond of LGBT

He didn't "become" like this. He has lionized the ugly, the weak, and the brown since his 20s. Makes good music, though.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Like I said to the other guy, have you ever been recognised for your intelligence?

I won a spelling bee in the second grade.

Hey, 'dexxers? How many of you now understand Schuon thanks to Lyric Suite's history of posting?

I think I have a decent grasp on the subject, though I admit to not being an expert. For what it's worth, while I appreciate Schuon, I think Burton's Batman films were better.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

My argument is that you have yet to express a meaningful contribution to the discussion.

Actually, i have.

You are the one who is screeching endlessly like an autistic retard about basically nothing.

Just by looking for patterns and investigating the lives and motivations of particular artists and craftsmen I have been able to refine my understanding of approaches to modern arts and media between these two cultures into far finer and more specific terms.

In this very moment, i am euphoric, new fag edition lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I think I have a decent grasp on the subject, though I admit to not being an expert. For what it's worth, while I appreciate Schuon, I think Burton's Batman films were better.

It's only because you haven't been keeping up on your evil.pdf readings. Slacker.

JB_0x0003

Literate

It's only because you haven't been keeping up on your evil.pdf readings. Slacker.
Speaking of readings, have you looked into anything I recommended you? You expressed interest in notable works by asian cultures, and seem quite open-minded, so I'm surprised you haven't mentioned it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Speaking of readings, have you looked into anything I recommended you? You expressed interest in notable works by asian cultures, and seem quite open-minded, so I'm surprised you haven't mentioned it.

I'm sorry, i either missed or don't remember the post you are talking about.

911 Jumper

Learned
He didn't "become" like this. He has lionized the ugly, the weak, and the brown since his 20s. Makes good music, though.
Noted. I only ever learned about him via Western video game magazines during the early 2000s (no internet access at the time). Seems they left out a lot of stuff about his background.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Western videogames strive for realism. As someone who has had the displeasure to visit reality it's ugly and boring.

From my part, i always experienced a level of exilaration whenever i played a simulation, even going back to the original Elite. I felt the same when playing Operation Flashpoint the first time, or even whenever i play an actual racing sim. I think my love for games with complex level design like Thief or even games like Doom is part of this as well. I also prefer the more grounded feeling i get when i play western RPGs.

I lost track of western gaming when it became unserious and kiddie oriented, mostly when the feminized hipster crowd took over around the mid 2000s (feminization is the reason why western games lost their creativity BTW. Creativity is a masculine thing. The over socialized faggots that make games today have but a tiny fraction of the testosterone of the nerds of old).

As for Japanese games, outside of outliers like FromSoft, i still struggle and will likely never come to terms with them. For me reality > fun. When my friend tried to get me into shmups the ones i instantly latched on where the first two DoDonPachi games. Why? They felt grounded, with realistic looking visuals and level design etc. I played five seconds of Tohou and when i saw it was just pure abstraction with retarded animu shit on top of it i instantly quit.

I'm currently playing Nioh and while it is an entertaining game it's not even in the same planet as Sekiro for me. It's ironic since it seems i have a little bit of talent for arcade stuff but it's still not "my" thing.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
lol nope

It doesn’t matter how much the western rpg industry has fallen, its greatest heights are so above and beyond anything japs have and will ever achieve

whites in this case have better taste

GamerCat_

Educated
Western videogames strive for realism. As someone who has had the displeasure to visit reality it's ugly and boring.
Western video games fetishise technology, which runs contrary to stylisation. At the same time they are increasingly made by people who live in fear of reality. Which leads to our video games becoming something like Soviet Social Realism. Hard and Serious depictions of boring retarded gibberish that exists as a wilful resistance to reality.

40227e1ce41130f1bf21bf24fa101612.webp

Here's your realism bro. Video games about sobbing lesbian supersoldiers because we are compelled by our sattva to only represent pure truth, goodness, and reality.

From my part, i always experienced a level of exilaration whenever i played a simulation, even going back to the original Elite. I felt the same when playing Operation Flashpoint the first time, or even whenever i play an actual racing sim. I think my love for games with complex level design like Thief or even games like Doom is part of this as well. I also prefer the more grounded feeling i get when i play western RPGs.
I love a sense of groundedness in video games. That's why I can't stand western RPGs. All the abstraction and distance between what I'm doing and what's being represented. If you enjoy this kind of advanced intuitive feedback that characterises Thief and simulators you would probably greatly enjoy The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. My understanding is that it even runs on the very same object-trait based interaction logic that was designed for Thief. It's Thief, but massive and outside, and you aren't stealing things this time.

The appeal of a racing sim and the appeal of western RPGs overlapping is a strange thought to me. I'd characterise them almost as opposites in most ways.

I lost track of western gaming when it became unserious and kiddie oriented, mostly when the feminized hipster crowd took over around the mid 2000s (feminization is the reason why western games lost their creativity BTW. Creativity is a masculine thing. The over socialized faggots that make games today have but a tiny fraction of the testosterone of the nerds of old).
Talk of "creativity" is never a meaningful contribution to a discussion of art.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Western video games fetishise technology, which runs contrary to stylisation.

Stylization sucks dick. Look at the modern indie scene. Muh pixel art, muh roblox graphix etc. Japanese games are the same. Muh animu. I hate that shit with a burning passion.

At any rate, western developers didn't "fetishize" technology as such, they merely saw video games as a means to explore the possibilities of computing technology and what could be realized in terms of simulation or interaction (video games as a whole came into being BECAUSE of this culture in the first place). This is in line with the "progressivist" credo of the modern west which is one form of the sattva principle i mentioned. Star Trek is a very "white" kinda of fantasy for instance. It's all related.

This is what made 90s PC gaming special, but it's now been obliterated by the introduction of multiplatform development, which means everything had to be dragged down the lowest common denominator, meaning consoles. In one swoop this obliterated every ounch of enthusiasm western developers had for the medium, since it basically destroyed the one thing that made them interested in gaming as a medium in the first place.

And even among the players there is still a desire to return to that ideal. Look at the success of scams like Star Citizen. The reason so many people were easily duped into this thing is because this game promised to be a return to PC gaming as it used to be before consoles dragged the whole medium down and turned every game into a mere corporate product. People crave that experience PC games used to provide, that feel technology was moving forward and new frontiers in virtual simulation were being achieved. Star Citizen promised that and people flocked to that shit like starving ravenous wolves. I bet Star Citizen didn't actually start as a scam, it was purely a crime of opportunity.

Here's your realism bro.

That's not realism. Quite the opposite in fact. All console graphics are the farthest thing from realism you can find, with those bullshit vomit green or shit brown filters, shitty use of bloom and other post-processing effects, over use of retarded phoptographic or cinematographic techniques like vignetting, depth of field or motion blur that destroy any semblance of realism in the picture.

Western games haven't focused on realism or pushing technology ever since development shifted on consoles. The last "true" PC game in that respect was Crysis 1, and it's instructive if you compare that game to it's consolized sequel, which committed all the sins i just described. Visually, Crysis 2 was pure consoltarded diarrhea, and this is how western games have been made since. The last game i played that actually did realism in the way older PC games used to was Kingdom Come: Deliverance and it was just glorious.

Nowadays "style" is just code word for "i suck at making good looking games". There's that roblox looking Battlefield clone that is being praised for having clear visuals among other things. The argument people make is that modern Battlefield games made it difficult to even see what to shoot because of the excessive use of post-processing effects. This is a retarded argument because the problem with modern Battlefied is not the "realism" but the consoltarded style of vomiting visual effects on the screen without the slightest concern for actual realism in the picture. And the solution to that problem is definitely not that of making games that look like mobile shit four year old kids play. This is your "stylization" at work:

And it fucking sucks.

I love a sense of groundedness in video games. That's why I can't stand western RPGs. All the abstraction and distance between what I'm doing and what's being represented. If you enjoy this kind of advanced intuitive feedback that characterises Thief and simulators you would probably greatly enjoy The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Animu = game disregarded.

The appeal of a racing sim and the appeal of western RPGs overlapping is a strange thought to me. I'd characterise them almost as opposites in most ways.

It's correlated because both mediums are concerned with rapresenting reality. Racing sims or simulators in general go about it by attempting to provide the player with a realistic feedback. RPGs focus on abstraction and theory but ultimately it's still reality that is the focus. There is most definitely a kind of antagonism between the two but in principle the goal is still the same. I remember Daniel Vavra got a lot of hate in the Codex when he started arguing the feedback principle of simulators was superior to the abstractions of older RPGs. That the only reason those abstractions even exist is because computing technology was too primitive in the past to provide a true simulation (also the fact RPGs started as table top games where abstraction was a necessity, unless you wanted to LARP like a dumbfuck). Whether you agree with him or not that discussion shows to what degree simulations and RPGs are interrelated.

In this sense, generally speaking, the best RPG systems are the ones that provide a greater degree of complexity and strategic possibilities while still remaining close to reality. Pillars of Eternity was universally panned for throwing any semblance of realism out of the window with Josh Sawyer thinking the abstraction in and of itself was the point, where as it never was.

There is no art without creativity. If you believe otherwise you are just one of those try hard pseudo modern intellectuals who think they are being super sophisticated and "above it all" by entertaining the most cretinous ideas possible. Many such cases in this last century. It's how modern art came into being.

GamerCat_

Educated
Western video games fetishise technology, which runs contrary to stylisation.

Stylization sucks dick.
You should kill yourself. Even more than the average RPGcodex user should.

Look at the modern indie scene. Muh pixel art, muh roblox graphix etc.
These are idiots who can't surpass certain limits pretending to be playing with style and form. They aren't actually doing so in the vast majority of cases. They do these things because they're seen as easier and do terrible jobs within them. Even the most praised utilisations of these approaches in western gaming I mostly find upsettingly ugly. I hate how Stardew Valley looks, for example.

stardewvalley14.jpg

I think the guy who made this game actually is trying. He's not cynical. But that might just make it sadder. His passion project is just an ugly bloated clone of an ancient constantly iterated upon Japanese game with far more prominent western branding and marketing. A Japanese friend of mine expressed puzzlement at how he got away with such a direct copy of an existing game. My point is that this game does not look a certain way because of effective stylisation. It looks the way it does because of fetishisation. This guy is making to Harvest Moon what trannymaxxed 'Boomer Shooters' are to Doom.

This is a more interesting case. They're mostly just pointless in addition to hideous.

Japanese games are the same. Muh animu. I hate that shit with a burning passion.
The Japanese are working towards and within style. They're completely different.

At any rate, western developers didn't "fetishize" technology as such, they merely saw video games as a means to explore the possibilities of computing technology and what could be realized in terms of simulation or interaction
I would call that technology fetishisation.
(video games as a whole came into being BECAUSE of this culture in the first place).
Video games as toys and games on a computer sure. And that's all they'd have stayed if it were up to America.

This is in line with the "progressivist" credo of the modern west which is one form of the sattva principle i mentioned. Star Trek is a very "white" kinda of fantasy for instance. It's all related.
Star Trek is Jewish and stupid and ugly. Beyond the name of a tv show I recognise this is a meaningless addition to your post.

This is what made 90s PC gaming special, but it's now been obliterated by the introduction of multiplatform development, which means everything had to be dragged down the lowest common denominator, meaning consoles. In one swoop this obliterated every ounch of enthusiasm western developers had for the medium, since it basically destroyed the one thing that made them interested in gaming as a medium in the first place.
Yes, that is the fundamental problem. Americans have only ever really been interesting in video games by accident of creating tools, parts, systems, and possibilities, then being obliged to put them into a finished game once done. They make something, then make as much for it as they need to to be able to sell it as a "video game", then move on. This is the worst tendency in American gaming and the one that destroyed it. As you say, the impulse that drives a man to make cockroach AI does not translate well into making new works in established forms. You need to be an artist for that. Not an autistic inventor.

And even among the players there is still a desire to return to that ideal. Look at the success of scams like Star Citizen. The reason so many people were easily duped into this thing
Marketing and stupidity.
is because this game promised to be a return to PC gaming as it used to be before consoles dragged the whole medium down and turned every game into a mere corporate product. People crave that experience PC games used to provide, that feel technology was moving forward and new frontiers in virtual simulation were being achieved.
Didn't this start as a post saying that tech fetishism isn't real?
Star Citizen promised that and people flocked to that shit like starving ravenous wolves.
They also flocked to 'The Day Before'.

I bet Star Citizen didn't actually start as a scam, it was purely a crime of opportunity.
True of most media which gets called scams. Making stuff is hard.

Here's your realism bro.

That's not realism. Quite the opposite in fact.
And who made it?
All console graphics are the farthest thing from realism you can find, with those bullshit vomit green or shit brown filters, shitty use of bloom and other post-processing effects, over use of retarded phoptographic or cinematographic techniques like vignetting, depth of field or motion blur that destroy any semblance of realism in the picture.
Yes, that's what's unrealistic about this screenshot of a sobbing lesbian supersoldier about to kill 700 people.

Western games haven't focused on realism or pushing technology ever since development shifted on consoles. The last "true" PC game in that respect was Crysis 1, and it's instructive if you compare that game to it's consolized sequel, which committed all the sins i just described. Visually, Crysis 2 was pure consoltarded diarrhea, and this is how western games have been made since. The last game i played that actually did realism in the way older PC games used to was Kingdom Come: Deliverance and it was just glorious.
This is such a tech fetishist perspective. Western games are disinterested in realism because we aren't putting the entirety of our civilisation's resources into completely unstylised polygonal maximalism.

I'm actually a pretty big Cevat Yarli fan for what his games are conceptually. I love FarCry1.

Nowadays "style" is just code word for "i suck at making good looking games".
And good means "like real". You have the same taste as a street shitting indian who spends 10k hours grinding SARS LIFELIKE EYE SKETCH I AM ARTIST NOW.

Untitled.jpg

There's that roblox looking Battlefield clone that is being praised for having clear visuals among other things.
It doesn't. Its colour balance is god-awful. It's noisy and cluttered and generally has all of the problems of modern battlefield but with big goofy bodies that are easier to model.

The argument people make is that modern Battlefield games made it difficult to even see what to shoot because of the excessive use of post-processing effects.
I don't think anybody was really saying that. It's just a marketing pitch for Battlebit.
This is a retarded argument because the problem with modern Battlefied is not the "realism" but the consoltarded style of vomiting visual effects on the screen without the slightest concern for actual realism in the picture.
Is the problem readability or realism? Is the problem looking bad or realism? Something can look more realistic and worse.
And the solution to that problem is definitely not that of making games that look like mobile shit four year old kids play. This is your "stylization" at work:

This is not my stylisation. Where was this game made?

And it fucking sucks.
It does. Because it is ugly and noisy.

I love a sense of groundedness in video games. That's why I can't stand western RPGs. All the abstraction and distance between what I'm doing and what's being represented. If you enjoy this kind of advanced intuitive feedback that characterises Thief and simulators you would probably greatly enjoy The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Animu = game disregarded.
You are a shallow technology fetishist and a shallow cultural chauvinist. You'll never appreciate anything nice. But the thing about not being able to appreciate something, is that if you were smart enough to realise why that's a problem, you wouldn't have the problem. So it's something you can never really have to mourn.

It's correlated because both mediums are concerned with rapresenting reality.
RPGs are concerned with being RPGs. If they had not been created yet nobody interested in representing reality realistically and accurately would create them. They're a historic accident which people are fond of for what they are (and a lot of people for an idealised idea of what they are).

Racing sims or simulators in general go about it by attempting to provide the player with a realistic feedback. RPGs focus on abstraction and theory but ultimately it's still reality that is the focus.
The same could be said of non-interactive media by this point. Novels also represent reality.

There is most definitely a kind of antagonism between the two but in principle the goal is still the same. I remember Daniel Vavra got a lot of hate in the Codex when he started arguing the feedback principle of simulators was superior to the abstractions of older RPGs. That the only reason those abstractions even exist is because computing technology was too primitive in the past to provide a true simulation (also the fact RPGs started as table top games where abstraction was a necessity, unless you wanted to LARP like a dumbfuck). Whether you agree with him or not that discussion shows to what degree simulations and RPGs are interrelated.
Whether or not one agrees depends on "superior at what?" Since this is RPGcodex I imagine this thread went for 1000 pages with nobody asking that.

In this sense, generally speaking, the best RPG systems are the ones that provide a greater degree of complexity and strategic possibilities while still remaining close to reality.
Why?
Pillars of Eternity was universally panned for throwing any semblance of realism out of the window with Josh Sawyer thinking the abstraction in and of itself was the point, where as it never was.
Never played because it looks like every other RPG to me.

There is no art without creativity.
What a meaningless statement.

If you believe otherwise you are just one of those try hard pseudo modern intellectuals who think they are being super sophisticated and "above it all" by entertaining the most cretinous ideas possible. Many such cases in this last century. It's how modern art came into being.
ha

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Video games as toys and games on a computer sure. And that's all they'd have stayed if it were up to America.

It's more that Japan's understanding of gaming as toys stalled American developers and dumbfounded them until they found their outlet with PC gaming.

The first video games were created because some Jew figured it would have been a nice way to make a quick buck by distracting dumb goys. That idea had no reasonance with white folks working within the IT field. After a few successful attempts to market video games as a commercial venue the medium was considered a dead issue because nobody saw any meaning to it, until the whole thing was "rescued" by a race of bugmen for whom the notion of creating pay to play visual stimulants that led nowhere and existed purely for their own sake was not an issue.

Western developers meanwhile begun to follow their real calling with experimenting with the form within the confines of academia. The first "white" video game was Space War:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Travel_(video_game)

And from there followed a slew of genre defining games such as Empire (precursor to Civilization), DnD and pedit5 (first RPGs), Rogue, Akalabeth (precursor to Ultima), Spasim (online multiplayer space simulator), Colossal Cave Adventure (first adventure game), Zork (no comment necessary) and so on so forth, all of which were created in the 70s for university mainframes. This is the birth of the "western" gaming scene, which did not saw market distribution until the advent of home computers and the success of which was stalled by the domination of the arcade scene.

You can call this just a "fetish" for technology, i see it more like an attempt to look at video games as a serious medium rather than see it as a toy like the Atari was.

Unfortunatly, after finally making it's breakout in the 80s but especially in the 90s, western gaming was again kneecapped and brought back to becoming mere toys again by the success of the Playstation and the desire of western companies to tap that commercial venue and emulate console gaming style of development. No more experimentation, no progress, gaming is now product again.

BTW, if this seems a bit reductive it's because i'm intentionally throwing back your own arguments at ya.

GamerCat_

Educated

It's more that Japan's understanding of gaming as toys stalled American developers and dumbfounded them until they found their outlet with PC gaming.
Are movies toys? An attempt at consistently applying your attempts at reasoning so far would probably lead to "yes".

The first video games were created because some Jew figured it would have been a nice way to make a quick buck by distracting dumb goys. That idea had no reasonance with white folks working within the IT field. After a few successful attempts to market video games as a commercial venue the medium was considered a dead issue because nobody saw any meaning to it, until the whole thing was "rescued" by a race of bugmen for whom the notion of creating pay to play visual stimulants that led nowhere and existed purely for their own sake was not an issue.
Which games? Which Jews? And again, are films toys?

Western developers meanwhile begun to follow their real calling with experimenting with the form within the confines of academia. The first "white" video game was Space War:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Travel_(video_game)

And from there followed a slew of genre defining games such as Empire (precursor to Civilization), DnD and pedit5 (first RPGs), Rogue, Akalabeth (precursor to Ultima), Spasim (online multiplayer space simulator), Colossal Cave Adventure (first adventure game), Zork (no comment necessary) and so on so forth, all of which were created in the 70s for university mainframes. This is the birth of the "western" gaming scene, which did not saw market distribution until the advent of home computers and the success of which was stalled by the domination of the arcade scene.
Zork. Rogue. Akalabeth. This all sounds like so much fun I might just abandon this discussion and go play these classics again. That or watch paint dry if I really want to get rowdy.

You can call this just a "fetish" for technology,
It is.
i see it more like an attempt to look at video games as a serious medium rather than see it as a toy like the Atari was.
"Medium" suggests that these things were vessels rather than the point in themselves in each case. A serious medium for doing what? Are you going to not answer all of my questions again this post so that we swing back around back and forth for another ten posts like always?

Unfortunatly, after finally making it's breakout in the 80s but especially in the 90s, western gaming was again kneecapped and brought back to becoming mere toys again by the success of the Playstation and the desire of western companies to tap that commercial venue and emulate console gaming style of development. No more experimentation, no progress, gaming is now product again.
What the hell do you care about the state of the commercial industry if Boeing are still updating their internal simulators? As things stand it sounds like the only proper purpose of gaming is to create The Matrix so that you can be embedded within a perfect recreation of reality. Peak sattva.

BTW, if this seems a bit reductive it's because i'm intentionally throwing back your own arguments at ya.

GamerCat_

Educated

No, but games most definitely are. Don't tell me you are one of those morons who actually think games are ART.

Lol. Lmao even.
Imagine if mister norwood saw you calling a video game art. That would be very embarrassing.

I imagine that a definition of art that excludes video games would be like a definition of "RPG" that actually works consistently. Impossible.

What does it even mean to talk about "technology fetishization" in computer games? Fetishization is the use of images as conduits for something else, something that can't be understood or participated in except by means of this fetish. Tribal peoples use crocodile amulets and tiger fangs as fetishes because they believe they contain hidden powers derived from these animals. If I were to think of an example of "technological fetishization", most of the hype surrounding AI could serve as an example, as it's founded upon an image of something (AI as represented in science-fiction) which is only a consequence of an underlying reality(technological development) that isn't generally understood. I've noticed the people with deep knowledge of computer science and statistical models tend to be harder to impress in this regard, and do not think this way. Fetishization is always an outside perspective.

Western games which are heavily into simulation, abstract representations of reality and such, are not fetishistic of technology anymore than a skyscraper, a sports car, a swiss army knife, a fighter jet or a high speed train. Moreover, they don't simply represent technology as such, that is, cumulative knowledge and increasing complexity; they take technology in a certain direction, which is akin to art. Western nations, and perhaps East Asia, were even able to conceive of industrial policy in these terms. The new green fad is still representative of this, although degenerated. This is altogether different from the way many of the world's peoples conceive of technology as a kind of "white man magic"; that is also how technological development is sold to proles, as some kind of voodoo, in order to awe them and convince them to defer to experts.

As for RPGs, there's obviously a link between sim racing and, say, using the Doctor skill to heal broken limbs in Fallout. They're both trying to do the same thing. RPGs aren't simply a historical accident. Many of the improvised games I played with other kids had spontaneous elements of this kind of abstract roleplaying. I'd go as far as saying that western RPGs are too dependent on D&D, but what about all the RPGs that use their own systems, or adapt lesser known ones? Simulation is also a very fertile artistic field; many WRPGs and simracers have had impeccable artistic direction. I had dreams about them multiple times.

Anyway, excuse me for barging into the discussion. I've only read the last page and may be restating someone else's opinion or misrepresenting someone's position.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom