Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Hell Swarm

Learned
getting laid as a foreigner is kinda easy if you're not a shapeless blob. J
Sorry Cat man. I like women with breasts and no buck teeth. Needing ear plugs because your girl sounds like a cat screeching sounds like cuck behaviour to me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm sure, I'm sure. I bet in reality you have as much to say about music as you do about video games.

I do, but most here don't know much about music so there's little point.

I don't see how. Could you explain? How we get from A to B

If Japanese companies aren't folding to wokeness, but are just shoving wokeness into their games because they think this is what audiences want, it means their games were never a product of a specific creative vision, it was always about commerciality, meaning Japanese games are not an art but a product, making them essentially worthless and on par with mobile pay to win scam bullshit.

This idea is also bizzare since it would seem to suggest Japanese companies only care about western audiences? What about Japanese players aren't they a consideration? Or are you telling me they want this stuff too? I don't get the logic here.

Finally, this argument seems to miss the fact wokeness in the west is not an organic response to a commercial need, it's literally enforced from above by companies like BlackRock etc. It stands to reason the same pressure is being put on Japanese companies.

I never followed this series after Street Fighter 2, but looking back at the game it didn't feel those characters were designed under some kind of mandate from management. As i remember most of them were just intended to rapresent the nation they came from in that typical Japanese quirky way. I doubt management had any input it's likely the designers had freedom to do whatever they wanted as long as sales were good.

Hell Swarm

Learned
They don't sound like that IRL, it's an act to play along with the average beta asian "male"
Look man. Unless you live near an 'urban' school there's no reason to breed with an Asian. All Hapas do is mass shootings and whining on Reddit how much they hate their Dad for fucking his 12 year old mother.
This idea is also bizzare since it would seem to suggest Japanese companies only care about western audiences? What about Japanese players aren't they a consideration? Or are you telling me they want this stuff too? I don't get the logic here.
I don't believe you're this naive Lyrics. Why WOULDN'T Japanese games be commercial products? They're investing millions into a 5 year product and they're not going to design it in a way that doesn't sell. You can see many of the popular tropes that sell well in Japan all over their games. It's From Soft's influence thats really pushed the new direction for Japanese games. Capcom always chased the international audience but From made so much bank on Dark souls 1 on PC it opened their little slanty eyes.
I never followed this series after Street Fighter 2, but looking back at the game it didn't feel those characters were designed under some kind of mandate from management. As i remember most of them were just intended to rapresent the nation they came from in that typical Japanese quirky way. I doubt management had any input it's likely the designers had freedom to do whatever they wanted as long as sales were good.
The new ones have DEI companies involved.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, put it this way. Do you think some corporate empty suit stepped into the office one day and told the graphic designers how to make their characters for Street Fighter 2?

Because this is exactly how this woke shit finds its way in games. It is mandated from above. They have literal agencies they can consult that tells them how to go about doing this. By contrast, i'm pretty sure nobody in management cared how the original Street Fighter team designed the characters as long as money kept pouring in.

GamerCat_

Educated
I'm sure, I'm sure. I bet in reality you have as much to say about music as you do about video games.

I do
You do.
I don't see how. Could you explain? How we get from A to B

If Japanese companies aren't folding to wokeness, but are just shoving wokeness into their games because they think this is what audiences want
Wokeness is a spirit in which things are done, not a specific thing. Pretending not to or willfully not recognising this is the reason why 4chan has had six million "if [beloved old media with a nigger in it] were made today 4chan would screech and call it woke" threads, and why each one was retarded.

You can't put wokeness into something. It either is or it isn't. What they are specifically putting in, in the case of Street Fighter, is wacky looking homoniggers. Street Fighter has always been both an internationally oriented title, and an international premise. It aspires to both sell and appeal to the whole world and to represent the world. Do I have to explain to you that Dhalsim was not a sign of Japan showing weakness to clown world wokeness back in the 90s or are you following me so far?

, it means their games were never a product of a specific creative vision,
At most this would say something about the specific people making Street Fighter (a massive project spanning decades worked on by thousands of people, so how much can even be said?), and even then you haven't explained how it says this.

it was always about commerciality, meaning Japanese games are not an art but a product, making them essentially worthless and on par with mobile pay to win scam bullshit.
So if I can find a single anecdote of someone in a field playing to their audience, I can dismiss that entire field as not art?

I'm going to call you an animal imitating speech again if you don't pull some coherent thoughts together.

This idea is also bizzare since it would seem to suggest Japanese companies only care about western audiences?
Are you actually so stupid that you believe this one case has to reflect accurately and perfectly upon every single Japanese who has ever worked on a video game? Read this back, CAN THE WHOLE THREAD PLEASE STOP AND READ THIS EXCHANGE BACK WITH US? LYRIC SUITE EITHER BELIEVES THAT IT IS INTUITIVE TO READ AN ENTIRE INDUSTRY THROUGH ONE ACTOR IN IT, OR IS PRETENDING TO BE THAT RETARDED.

Every thread here I face failures in basic reading comprehension and reasoning, but this is getting excessive now. Why do you tolerate people who act like this? It's like watching Joe Biden talk. The idea is bizarre because nobody would suggest that. You have to be a complete fucking retard to interpret what has been said so far to this point. How do you function? Do you have a tard wrangler who holds your hand when you go outside?

I'm going to leave this place soon. When I'm gone maybe some more sentient creatures among you will think about the difference between people like me and people like Lyric Suite and wonder why anybody bothers with anything.

What about Japanese players aren't they a consideration? Or are you telling me they want this stuff too? I don't get the logic here.
This is not a radical departure from Street Fighter's history, as I've already said. Street Fighter only has so many Japanese players relative to the rest of the world, and one would figure that they all like Street Fighter for doing Street Fighter things, which has historically included weird foreign representation, extreme visual caricature, etc.

You're suggesting that some fundamental betrayal of what Street Fighter is has taken place. Have you seen any Street Fighter players saying so? I'm probably the only one in this discussion who actually knows any Japanese people. They have concerns about the state of the world. But nothing asserted in this thread has come up.

Finally, this argument seems to miss the fact wokeness in the west is not an organic response to a commercial need, it's literally enforced from above by companies like BlackRock etc. It stands to reason the same pressure is being put on Japanese companies.
It's not a commercial phenomena, but that doesn't mean it's not organic. Saints Row killed itself before DEI by turning into an apologetic joke with Saints Row 3. The developers are on record saying they did this because the content of Saints Row 2 made them FEEL BAD.

Like how retarded conservative laws about not putting faggot books in school libraries or whatever don't do anything because all the teachers are communist psychos, I am actually very skeptical of the power of DEI in the arts to actually make people do things they fundamentally do not want to do. Think back to that retarded contrarian 4chan meme. "You would call [beloved old thing] woke". If people actually wanted to resist DEI, video games would look like Predator 2, they'd look like Starship Troopers, they'd look like Final Fantasy 7, there is plenty of superficially diverse media which is completely fucking based. It would be perfectly possible to make something great while technically working within Blackwater lines I believe. The fundamental problem is how many people in this industry want to comply.

These measures are of course coercive, by design it's hard to find hard signs of enforcement, but really what is there? Everything video games are under DEI is the fulfillment of trends that existed prior. These people in gaming DEI reigns over are mostly retards and cowards with no taste or driving ideas of their own.

And it still feels that way. If you're going to make grand, sweeping charges about the imminent death of the strongest culture on earth right now (cope, seethe, cry, kill yourself, etc) do you have anything stronger to draw on than a feeling things are different? More likely this is just your cuckold fetish making you see things. Bros... it's over... I can FEEL it... DEI management did this...

And again, old debating rules, you're probably down like 50 unaddressed points by this point if we go back and build a tab. You've lost so many times over.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Because this is exactly how this woke shit finds its way in games. It is mandated from above. They have literal agencies they can consult that tells them how to go about doing this. By contrast, i'm pretty sure nobody in management cared how the original Street Fighter team designed the characters as long as money kept pouring in.
It's been 10 years since Tumblr was at it's peak, a lot of those people grew up and used Tumblr and Twitter to network their way into design teams. It's not all blackrock money pushing this. Many of the artists are hardcore leftists with Tumblr mentalities. Same way community managers are.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Yes the series cannon was a mess
You had DMC2 which had a widly different characterization of Dante than any other game, and its place on the timeline was never made clear l(ike 3, 1 and 4 were) so people just assumed it was happened at the very end of it
Then you have some mangas and the novels, the first of which had Kamiya as co-writer and he expanded alot Dante's characterization and background
Yet despite that, none of the games ackowledge those books
The same goes for the anime despite being written by Bingo Morihashi (which wrote for most games in the series)
And speaking of Bingo, after the fiasco that was DMC4, he released a novelization of the game with all the plot points and scenario that were cut from the final release (which are substancial)

Spinoff media should be ignored by the games, I don't see an issue there. DMC2's take on Dante isn't all that different from the first game. He's got fewer one-liners, but Dante, as originally conceived, was far removed from the wacky pizza man persona that we know now. If anything, it was actually DMC3 that didn't jive with his characterization, it's just that his new personality became more popular (and understandably so, though I prefer the character from 1 / 2). Lastly, why does the timeline even need to made clear? DMC has an evergreen premise (Dante is a merc who takes on jobs where he can engage the supernatural), so does it really matter when he takes on specific missions?

They should make serious films about talkings animuls

Sorry Cat man. I like women with breasts and no buck teeth.

Or, and hear me out on this, breasts and buck teeth.

akkadian5

Novice
It is true that the Japanese are especially specialized in "imitation" among East Asian countries.
The lack of essential originality has long plagued thinkers in this country and remains a subject of endless debate.
The current presence of trannies in Japanese content is part of the result of that culture, and today's big companies are desperately trying to keep up with the latest trends in the West. Despite the generally lukewarm response from users.

Japanese arcade games developed from the early 20th century, deeply influenced by British and American coin-op games, and technologies cultivated there took a major leap forward with the advent of electronic games.
In comparison, the reception of RPG genre was pretty much an afterthought, and nonsense like random encounters every third step was rampant.
Although there were experimental works influenced by western PC games such as Lunatic Dawn, The Atlas, and Star Cruiser, but they were unable to form a major trend.

By the way, I don't think there is much to worry about in terms of Japanese immigration.
The country's economy is in decline, and its people are so exclusive and fussy about rules that many foreign workers flee their workplaces and are eventually drive back to their home countries.
That said, our exclusivity is potentially dangerous and could lead to genocide if foreign workers start crossing the line in the future, and I fear that more than anything.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's been 10 years since Tumblr was at it's peak, a lot of those people grew up and used Tumblr and Twitter to network their way into design teams. It's not all blackrock money pushing this. Many of the artists are hardcore leftists with Tumblr mentalities. Same way community managers are.

I supposed your are right, there's that too, but those people were all subjected to programming and i'm not so confident Japanese will be immune to that.

It is true that the Japanese are especially specialized in "imitation" among East Asian countries.
The lack of essential originality has long plagued thinkers in this country and remains a subject of endless debate.
The current presence of trannies in Japanese content is part of the result of that culture, and today's big companies are desperately trying to keep up with the latest trends in the West. Although the reaction from users has been generally lukewarm.

Japanese arcade games developed from the early 20th century, deeply influenced by British and American coin-op games, and technologies cultivated there took a major leap forward with the advent of electronic games.
In comparison, the reception of RPG genre was pretty much an afterthought, and nonsense like random encounters every third step was rampant.
Although there were experimental works influenced by western PC games such as Lunatic Dawn, The Atlas, and Star Cruiser, but they were unable to form a major trend.

By the way, I don't think there is much to worry about in terms of Japanese immigration.
The country's economy is in decline, and its people are so exclusive and fussy about rules that many foreign workers flee their workplaces and are eventually drive back to their home countries.
That said, our exclusivity is potentially dangerous and could lead to genocide if foreign workers start crossing the line in the future, and I fear that more than anything.

What do you think about Western internet pedophiles looking up to your country as the cultural Mecca of the world?

Machocruz

Arcane
Although there were experimental works influenced by western PC games such as Lunatic Dawn
That's it! That's the main game I was thinking of when I mentioned crunchy, obscure JRPGs on computer. Kept thinking it was called Azure Dreams, which is some weaby looking thing. Deft marriage of superior gaijin systems and superior Nipponese craftsmanship?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Spinoff media should be ignored by the games, I don't see an issue there.
Because matter is not clear cut here.
It's one thing to disregard spin-off media which was done by "outside" individuals, it another when said media is partly made by the creators of the official release.

For example in that first novel co-written by Kamyia, he included plenty of lore that he had already created during DMC1 development but wanted to use in the sequel (he even end-up using in Bayonetta 1).
Sequel which he was supposed to direct but was prevented from doing so by the Crapcom execs when they abruptly moved him to another project for some reason.

I mean it just doesn't seem right to ignore this work when it has the original explanations to questions like "How did Dante end up in the Devil Hunting buiseness? Where did he get his guns? What was his relationship with his brother like?"
Yes by the way, their rivalry was introduced here not in 3.
Also introduced here was Dante's whacky "woohoo" side.
So DMC3 is not a departure but rather an extension of this spin-off.

Now we get to 5 which is meant to conclude all of this in a satisfying manner.
So what would you do with these spin-off works that have bled into the offical games a long time ago and who the fans pretty much consider canon at this point?
The only way to ignore them would be to retconn a multitude of elements going back all the way to DMC1 development. It would be a hack job.
No, the only graceful solution is to make sense out this mess.

DMC2's take on Dante isn't all that different from the first game.
Please, he barely has any moments of levity
And for no good reason
In 1 it made sense, he was on a personal revenge quest yet he still had occosional goofball moments - it's only after Vergil's apparent death that he becomes dead serious until the final chapter

Lastly, why does the timeline even need to made clear? DMC has an evergreen premise (Dante is a merc who takes on jobs where he can engage the supernatural), so does it really matter when he takes on specific missions?
Because he has changes in character throughout series and he is not immortal
This makes a timeline for his life necessary if you want to keep some thread of continuity between games

Silverfish

Arbiter
So what would you do with these spin-off works that have bled into the offical games a long time ago and who the fans pretty much consider canon at this point?
The only way to ignore them would be to retconn a multitude of elements going back all the way to DMC1 development. It would be a hack job.
No, the only graceful solution is to make sense out this mess.

Or you can simply not worry about it. Let the hardcore fans compile the trivia, make the wiki articles and mess around with that stuff while you focus on creating something new rather than reorganizing old material. There are exceptions of course, but in 99% of cases the best answer to "How does this work?" in regards to long, ongoing series is "Who cares?"

In the actual games, he's really only had one significant character change and that was in the transition from 2 to 3. His characterization is consistent in the first two games and is so in the latter three as well. Dante's mortality is a non-issue, as he will live for however long he remains profitable.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
In the actual games, he's really only had one significant character change and that was in the transition from 2 to 3.
He has 3 major character developments in the games
At the start of DMC3 he only cares for killing demons and considers his rivalry with Vergil a mortal affair - by the end he realises he should be fighting to protect humanity from the demons like his father did and he tries to save Vergil
DMC1 he gets his revenge agaisnt Mundus and surpasses his father in power
In DMC5 he finally accepts his demonic heritage and gets closure to his rivalry with Vergil

Also in 5 his character is more aligned with DMC1 than DMC3

Hell Swarm

Learned
Sequel which he was supposed to direct but was prevented from doing so by the Crapcom execs when they abruptly moved him to another project for some reason.
Capcom were right not to give him control of another game. No matter how good DMC1 was, it was objective a complete failure of a project. He was told to make RE4 and instead he made DMC and derailed multiple years of development and company resources. Unless DMC sold 10 million copies opening week he fucked up so hard he should be knocked down the totem a bit and put back in line until he's proven he can handle a project better.
And what's wrong with that? Halo Reach retcons the books in multiple places because it makes a better game. And DMC5 retcons a nigger into the game so it's still a hackjob.
In 1 it made sense, he was on a personal revenge quest yet he still had occosional goofball moments - it's only after Vergil's apparent death that he becomes dead serious until the final chapter
Until Pizza man Dante was always serious. He was no different to John McClain or any other 80's action star. He made one liners as he cleaned house and did the occasional over the top thing because it was needed. DMC1 is a horror game in ways 2 tries to follow on and 3 totally discards.
This makes a timeline for his life necessary if you want to keep some thread of continuity between games
Continuity is already broken by retconning the timeline any way.
At the start of DMC3 he only cares for killing demons and considers his rivalry with Vergil a mortal affair - by the end he realises he should be fighting to protect humanity from the demons like his father did and he tries to save Vergil
Dante is already a demon hunter in 3. He has made the decision to protect humanity and set up (unnamed) devil may cry to do it. The start of the game is his shop being ruined by Vergil trying to play a game with him.
In DMC5 he finally accepts his demonic heritage and gets closure to his rivalry with Vergil
Dante never rejected his demon heritage. Every time we see him he's always embraced his demonic powers and used them for good. Vergil rejected being human because Dante kept beating him and causing him to constantly raise the stakes and do more terrible things until his body was failing him. Dante embraced both halves of his ancestry and even named his business after his demonic side.

5 doesn't change any of the characters except Nero. Dante and Vergil don't grow or change except for gaining new powers (and they're barely anything but redesigned devil triggers like every other game has). Nero being a mediator between the brothers doesn't have any lasting impact either because Vergil is still a prick and Dante is still crazy pizza man. DMC5's ending is little different to them teaming up to kill the Sparta blob before they turn on each other again. Dante learned there was someone else who could stop Vergil if need be and Vergil... read some poetry? 5 doesn't change anything because Vergil faces no consequences for his actions and neither Nero nor Dante were willing to kill him to prevent him going full retard again in DMC6.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom