Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Confessions of a dirty gamer

Ash

Arcane
I think the reason SS2 feels like a survival horror is because the only challenge that matters in it is resource management
You know what the final straw with System Shock 2 was for me? The reload system. If you run out of one type of ammo, the one you're currently using obviously, and you hit the "reload" key, it does nothing. Absolutely nothing. Typically this happens when you're in combat, which is the absolutely worst time for your reload key to just stop working. There were a few other things that I didn't like about System Shock 2, but this one really pissed me off.

You know what's better than no ammo? ANY type of ammo. I don't care how it picks it if I'm getting ready to die because I've effectively been disarmed. You can pick the ammo of which I have the most amount, the cheapest ammo, or even the next best ammo for the situation. Fuck, pick an ammo at random for all I care, because that beats having to open up the inventory and select another type in the middle of combat.
Bro...the default binding for change ammo, is, if I recall, the C key. No inventory access is ever necessary when it comes to ammo management, outside of optionally unloading found weapons for the extra ammo.

System Shock 2 is a god-tier game and none of anything you guys said made sense to me, aside from the fact that the game should have been darker. Yes, the game is more linear for a dungeon crawler. However, it still crosses the threshold for acceptable level of non-linearity, so it's not a huge deal.

grampy bone said:
"The game doesn't even have most of the hallmarks the 'ImmSim' genre would become known for--almost no alternate paths, no alternate solutions to objectives, no reactivity, not really even any ventilation ducts to bypass a locked door."
The "genre" became known for things it shouldn't have became known for, and is now a shadow of its former self. What makes it great is the rules of the design philosophy & intelligent overall game design, not freedom purely for freedom's sake. Ultima Underworld & System Shock 1 doesn't have much of what you list here either.

Hell Swarm

Learned
System Shock 2 is a god-tier game and none of anything you guys said made sense to me, aside from the fact that the game should have been darker. Yes, the game is more linear for a dungeon crawler. However, it still crosses the threshold for acceptable level of non-linearity, so it's not a huge deal.
We know Ash. You're incapable of seeing actual game design problems because you play as such a baby level you don't interact with any of them in a meaningful way.

I believed Molyneux's horse shit about the features Fable would have on release. "It's going to have growing trees! Holy fuck!"
So do any modern games ever have this? like MMOs and shit? It seems like something a modern game could reasonably do and yet doesn't. Despite being full of shit in the past, many of his dumb ideas could be visited and implemented now. Wonder how many of them would be enjoyable?

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
I had sex for the first time before I masturbaited for the first time. I am also still with the woman I lost my virginity to(and took hers in the process).

It's cool that you're close with your sister, but this is a RPG thread.

Anyway...
  • PS:T sucks and would've been better as a VN or short story. I'd rather play Might & Magic 1 though.
  • The best part of Arcanum is the manual.
  • Arkane Studios has produced exactly 0 good games.
  • BG1 is better than BG2, just as KotC1 is better than KotC2, and Fallout is better than Fallout 2. Sometimes less is more.
  • There's a good chance I played World of Warcraft for more hours than every Steam game I have combined.
  • 3.5E is the best edition of D&D.
  • The best mainline Final Fantasy is 6, but the best cinematic Final Fantasy is 8.
  • Chrono Trigger is pretty cool.
  • I believed Molyneux's horse shit about the features Fable would have on release. "It's going to have growing trees! Holy fuck!"
  • Part of the reason I hate ME2 and DA2 so much is that I thought DA:O and ME1 were awesome.
  • I was lurking the Codex since about 2006 but finally registered because I wanted to post about DA:O which was about to release. :lol: :negative:
This isn't that bad but I think liking BG1 more than BG2 is a sign of brain damage. Actually, liking BG1 in the first place is likely a sign of brain damage.

LJ40

Cipher

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
*I* actually like and play RPGs. :rpgcodex:

Most of my posts in RPG-related forums are about RPGs that I've played and enjoyed. Even my hateposting in the VTM: Dumpsterphyre thread is only because of how much I love the original VTM:B and hate that its good name is being polluted by a hermaphroditic walking simulator.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I literally hate RPGs.
We know, shitposter. GTFO.

I find CRPGs to be incredibly boring.
How is this a fake quote, bitch? You *literally* just said this. In the "General RPG Discussion" forum. ON THE RPG CODEX. What the fuck are you doing here if you hate CRPGs, you worthless turd?

Get out.
As you can see with the quoted post above, you are faking quotes. I said CRPGs are incredibly boring. And while you were throwing a tantrum Fagwalker I was actually playing one. So maybe you're the fake gamer girl here.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I believed Molyneux's horse shit about the features Fable would have on release. "It's going to have growing trees! Holy fuck!"
So do any modern games ever have this? like MMOs and shit?

Don't think so.

It seems like something a modern game could reasonably do and yet doesn't. Despite being full of shit in the past, many of his dumb ideas could be visited and implemented now.

Probably.

Wonder how many of them would be enjoyable?

Depends on the genre most likely. I'd expect this stuff to come up from some form of survival crafting game rather than an RPG, most likely. For trees specifically, you'd need a game with some sort of time lapse though and the implementation wouldn't impact much just because of the years involved that it likely wouldn't be worth the effort.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Depends on the genre most likely. I'd expect this stuff to come up from some form of survival crafting game rather than an RPG, most likely. For trees specifically, you'd need a game with some sort of time lapse though and the implementation wouldn't impact much just because of the years involved that it likely wouldn't be worth the effort.
An MMO where players have to manage resources and plant new trees and such could work. They already tried it with animal life (and players fucked it by murdering all the rabbits)

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
As you can see with the quoted post above, you are faking quotes. I said CRPGs are incredibly boring.
Which is basically the same as saying that you hate them. And besides, in your now-deleted ( :lol: ) post that I was responding to, I was specifically quoting you saying that "CRPGs are incredibly boring", and you claimed that this was a "fake quote". I then pointed out that it's a real quote, you realized that you had pooped your pants, and then deleted that post in shame and humiliation. :lol:

And while you were throwing a tantrum Fagwalker I was actually playing one.
Playing something that you find incredibly boring? You know that it's a symptom of severe mental illness and retardation, right?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm becoming increasingly convinced nobody here actually likes or plays RPGs.
Kenshi is probably the best CRPG that's come out in recent memory. There's a few other notables that I enjoyed, such as ATOM, D:OS2(the first part, but the ship thing pissed me off), Age of Decadence, Project Zomboid, and some various rogue-likes. I'm kind of hoping Bannerlord at some point makes me like it as much as Warband, but I liked Warband better but I miss the new features of Bannerlord when I try to go back. I've picked up a few others since that time, but haven't played them.

The Decline

Arcane
I jerked it to the Harlot and Noblewoman portraits from PS:T back in the day. I've never played any of the SSI DnD games despite owning them on GOG. Same with the Might and Magic games. That's about it.

Hell Swarm

Learned
And besides, in your now-deleted ( :lol: )
I never deleted any posts. You need to get a hobby you sad pathetic fuck.
Kenshi is probably the best CRPG that's come out in recent memory. There's a few other notables that I enjoyed, such as ATOM, D:OS2(the first part, but the ship thing pissed me off), Age of Decadence, Project Zomboid, and some various rogue-likes. I'm kind of hoping Bannerlord at some point makes me like it as much as Warband, but I liked Warband better but I miss the new features of Bannerlord when I try to go back. I've picked up a few others since that time, but haven't played them.
What's the appeal of Kenshi? It seems like you can do just about anything, but there's no real goal or purpose to any of it.

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
I find CRPGs to be incredibly boring.
What the fuck are you doing here if you hate CRPGs
90% of the posts on this forum are people talking about how much they hate X popular RPG game(s) - I'm becoming increasingly convinced nobody here actually likes or plays RPGs.
You pointing out that 90% of this forum needs to die is cool and all, but what is your fucking point?
I don't need a "point", and you will not speak to The Daddy in this tone again peasant.
What's the appeal of Kenshi? It seems like you can do just about anything, but there's no real goal or purpose to any of it.
Why do you need to be told what to do? The entire point of the game is setting your own goals and exploring what you want.

Iucounu

Educated
I'd expect this stuff to come up from some form of survival crafting game rather than an RPG, most likely. For trees specifically, you'd need a game with some sort of time lapse though and the implementation wouldn't impact much just because of the years involved that it likely wouldn't be worth the effort.
Yes, in ARK Survival Evolved (which could well be more RPG than you might think) new trees spawn pretty fast after you - or dinosaurs - have cut them down. I don't recall any actual growing process for trees, but you can also grow plants in crop plots, and these do have a growing process. You must give them water and fertilizer (made from your own, harvested poop), not too bad a mechanic.

Subnautica lets you grow crops too, but no water or fertilizer is needed.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
You can do what you want, sort of. Eventually someone else will take notice, though. Even if you choose not to get involved with things, or try not to get involved, things will happen without you. Everything is persistent, so towns will fall, get taken over by a rival faction, wars will go on, territory will be gained and lost, and so on.

I have thalassophobia and when I was a teenager I was very scared of going underwater in Morrowind, because the monsters spooked me. So I avoided going underwater at any cost.
There's an upgrade at the bottom, could you go grab it for me? I'll use it to enhance your arrow quiver.

far-cry-3-review-Cenotetcm2174636.jpg

(Far Cry 3)

(didn't do it)

9ted6

Educated
It needs mods to make it more alive but it's pretty fun once you get into it. It's a Make Your Own Story kind of sandbox. Its biggest downside is the combat is pretty ass and mods can't fix that, but the next game is supposedly overhauling it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom