Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
From what I remember Deadfire only got romances because people whined about it during Figstarter
And you can see that Obsidian really didn't wanted to right them because they're barely a thing and are terrible.

In fairness to Bioware, at least their romances involved hot chicks with nice T&A, not bestiality and some other degenerate shit.

From what I remember Deadfire only got romances because people whined about it during Figstarter. Good to see somebody finally pushing against cancer.
you have not played da:i or me:a

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
ME:A wasted all the romance budget in one ass.

N4nia-.gif

Oh wow, actual nudity in a bioware game. Too bad it's in the one with the horrible face animations. Maybe that's why the faces suck; they spent all of their time and budget on that one arse.
DA:I had nudity too. They had to make that move once CDPR beat them at their own game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In fairness to Bioware, at least their romances involved hot chicks with nice T&A, not bestiality and some other degenerate shit.

From what I remember Deadfire only got romances because people whined about it during Figstarter. Good to see somebody finally pushing against cancer.
Sawyer said he left it up to individual writers whether or not their characters could be romanced. Starks, whose background includes paranormal romance, was certainly all for Xoti's. Patel and Aloth was understandable as well. Nonbinary Scokel went for a hook-up with Serafen, and Paul Kirsch certainly has the look of a guy who could go for Tekēhu and Maia. Sawyer and Fenstermaker, the classic Black Isle Studios-minded dinosaurs (Yeah Eric was never part of a BIS but he's still like them culturally), opted out.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Cora, the wannabe asari commando.
A lot of these games have at least one "basic straight male romance choice" so their previous core audience doesn't feel left out, i.e Shadowheart.

I wonder why alienating your previous core audience, the one that's supported you for years, is a bad decision.

It's almost like your company is now floundering almost entirely because of that decision.

Elttharion

Learned

Elttharion

Learned
A lot of these games have at least one "basic straight male romance choice" so their previous core audience doesn't feel left out, i.e Shadowheart.

I wonder why alienating your previous core audience, the one that's supported you for years, is a bad decision.

It's almost like your company is now floundering almost entirely because of that decision.
Yeah, and then you end up with things like this (some people said the percentage is even higher nowadays, this was closer to release):

xkulnn5vcj4c1.jpg

If you only read things online you would think Astarion was the choice of the absolute majority of players.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I kinda want to know the reaction of modern gamedevs when you tell them that the vast majority of gamers are still straight men.

edit: this is what I had in mind

surprised-italian-spiderman.gif

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Erudite

Yeah, and then you end up with things like this (some people said the percentage is even higher nowadays, this was closer to release):

xkulnn5vcj4c1.jpg

If you only read things online you would think Astarion was the choice of the absolute majority of players
Shadowheart is the most popular because she's "normal", stupidly easy to get approval and has the most involved personal quest.

She's basically get entire act 2 and 3 for herself , so you will be missing content by not taking her , so it's basically the Canon romance. Like Liara in Mass effect but even more pushed. Hell, she's the only one that gets a animated flashback.

They knew their playbase. But they found a easy way to pander towards LGBT+ people would be just making everything Bissexual.

Easy win.

Most of Shadowheart's allure comes from her being a D&D goth girl - "goth" has lost all of its meaning and has become the default style for cock teasing girls. Also, it speaks volumes of modern obsidian that people prefer to talk about Larian and Bioware in a thread devoted to their upcoming game.

Elttharion

Learned

xkulnn5vcj4c1.jpg

If you only read things online you would think Astarion was the choice of the absolute majority of players
Shadowheart is the most popular because she's "normal", stupidly easy to get approval and has the most involved personal quest.

She's basically get entire act 2 and 3 for herself , so you will be missing content by not taking her , so it's basically the Canon romance. Like Liara in Mass effect but even more pushed. Hell, she's the only one that gets a animated flashback.

They knew their playbase. But they found a easy way to pander towards LGBT+ people would be just making everything Bissexual.

Easy win.
Do you need to romance her to experience most of the questlines/events or just taking her in a party is enough? I ask this because the Larian post implies most people actually pursued her romance path and that 51% of all players chose her as a partner, including the ones that didnt romance anyone. Maybe I am reading this wrong tho or something like 99% of people romanced someone so the rest are irrelevant.

For the other points, it makes sense, but then you still have the other two female characters making the rest of the top 3. And they are 'weird' characters, probably the first choice of only a small minority. Meanwhile the male companions are all relatively conventionally attractive, Astarion being probably the most blatant fujo bait I have ever seen. Despite that they couldnt break into the top 3 (I would die laughing if the 4th place is the drow chick).

I mean, when Larian published the data the BG3 subreddit couldnt believe it was true, I know this because I was there with a bucket of popcorn reading the comments.

I think you get romance-exclusive ways to go through her quest, but I don't think you get actual romance-only content outside of a few scenes and dialogue.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Do you need to romance her to experience most of the questlines/events or just taking her in a party is enough?
You can kill her and then rofl at how shit the game is at reacting. You later find her parents in a cage somewhere and can't free them, for the simple reason that she's not with you.
It's a much better experience imo. Shows you a glimpse behind the curtain. Plus you don't have a nagging entitled bitch to deal with, let alone "romance her". Have you seen her haircut?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Well yeah, I meant back when Bioware was good. Romances were still a waste of time and obv designed for 12 year olds, but at least it wasn't violently offensive cringe that plagues modern RPG scene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom