Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 10 reasons to buy NWN2 by JE Sawyer

Hazelnut

Erudite
Sounds pretty interesting.. goddamn though, why convert a turn based combat system into real-time? (And don't give me multiplayer blah blah - it's not MMO, and I can't believe it's an insoluble problem)

Still, may add this the xmas list if reactions here are okay.. and that does surprise me.

Ladonna

Arcane
I always planned to keep an eye on this game, and nothing has changed. I won't be buying it without watching the more cynical end user comments here though.

Hazelnut: Don't get too distracted with this toy. Your abilities on TOEE will still be needed. :P

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
A lot of my enthusiam for NWN2 was crushed with the recent batch of screencaps.

1) The dialogue text and choices are still presented in a tiny box that hugs an unnatural upper-left corner of the screen. It hurts my neck to keep switching my view from the center of the screen where the characters are to the upper-left in order to read the dialogue text. In NWN1 this wasn't SO annoying because none of the text was worth reading, and you could just hit '1' repeatedly as the best dialogue choice was always mapped to '1', but I assume Obsidian will put in somewhat worth-readable dialogue in NWN2.

2) I have no way of knowing this for sure, but it looks like the UI is ONCE AGAIN resolution dependant. Of course, the game will probably need to be played at 800x600 anyways in order to get playable framerates during sieges, but damn do I loathe UI's that don't scale properly when changing resolutions. (Although yes, I do realize Obsidian fixed this design error in KOTOR2).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"why convert a turn based combat system into real-time?"

It's not real time. Nor is it turn base.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
"why convert a turn based combat system into real-time?"

It's not real time. Nor is it turn base.

When did D&D's combat system become non-turn-based?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sol Invictus said:
NWN2 makes many other, especially recent RPGs look like jokes.

That's all I have to say on the subject.
Can you be a bit more specific without breaking the NDA?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"When did D&D's combat system become non-turn-based?"

Since the ones who own D&D allowed it. Duh.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Just wait 1 monthf rom now. Whatever Rex says now will be vastly different than what he says then.

He's just hyping. I'm sure NWN2 is a solid game; but sorry but looking at some Mr. Sawyer's top 10 reasons to play NWN, one can only shake their head. While some of the top 10 reasons can be awesome; others are just uhuh.

Volourn said:
Just wait 1 monthf rom now. Whatever Rex says now will be vastly different than what he says then.

He's just hyping. I'm sure NWN2 is a solid game; but sorry but looking at some Mr. Sawyer's top 10 reasons to play NWN, one can only shake their head. While some of the top 10 reasons can be awesome; others are just uhuh.

MYSTERIOUS EXPLORER DUDE > ROLEPLAYING

Hazelnut

Erudite
Volourn said:
"When did D&D's combat system become non-turn-based?"

Since the ones who own D&D allowed it. Duh.

Care to any more helpful than that? I've not seen any reference to non turn based D&D rules on the Wizards of the Coast website.

And regarding your previous comment - yes I know you can pause it, but the rules have to be created or adapted to a real time model, so I think you knew what I was getting at Volly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Care to any more helpful than that? I've not seen any reference to non turn based D&D rules on the Wizards of the Coast website."

Nothing to clarify. Anything in NWN2 (or any D&D game for that matter) has to get direct approval from WOTC. Hence, a non turn based D&D game can only occur if WOTC allowed it which they did. Hence, WOTC approved and allowed NWN1/NWN2 to have non turn based combat.

So, you have complaints about it 'not being D&D'; complain to them.

And, no, NWN2 is not real time. Even without pause. Deal with it.

Drakron

Arcane
D&D is a tabletop Roleplaying Game, it impossible to not be turned based.

However D&D rules say exactly how long is a turn in real time (3 seconds) in order for DMs to get a idea of how long does a certain action would take in turns so its possible to turn D&D rules in "real time".

elander_

Arbiter
That was the way it worked with FT real-time and I have the slight impression the first NWN worked the same way. However it doesn't look like NWN2 will respect turns or have any use for an initiative stat to sort out who attacks first in the turn. Overall the system seams to be basicly the same as NWN1 but with better team control.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
WHAT!?!

NWN1 and NWN2 have intiative, have rounds (6 second turns), and respect it. What game did you play?

You obviously played tyhe OTHER NWN1. You know, the one you made up. :roll:

elander_

Arbiter
Ok then tell me how turns and initiative work in a real-time with pause game genious. :roll:

Hazelnut

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Care to any more helpful than that? I've not seen any reference to non turn based D&D rules on the Wizards of the Coast website."

Nothing to clarify. Anything in NWN2 (or any D&D game for that matter) has to get direct approval from WOTC. Hence, a non turn based D&D game can only occur if WOTC allowed it which they did. Hence, WOTC approved and allowed NWN1/NWN2 to have non turn based combat.

So, you have complaints about it 'not being D&D'; complain to them.

And, no, NWN2 is not real time. Even without pause. Deal with it.

What's with the attitude? Why are you trying to argue with me about nothing? Jeezus, you sound like my 12 year old daughter - picking fights just because... FFS get a grip! :roll:

So, maybe I am mistaken about NWN2 being RTwP.. but that's what I honestly thought it was. No dogma or conformism with me... So, oh arrogant one, care to set me straight?

I never said "not being D&D" or meant it, what I said was "why convert a turn based combat system into real-time". The D&D combat rules are turn based, yes? I agree that WotC have allowed a non turn based implementation in the NWN games.. I never said anything different. They don't have non turned based D&D rules though do they? The std turn based rules have to be converted and modified. Anything you disagree with so far?

Okay, so I think that the std turn based ruleset is pretty good (from enjoying ToEE for the last few months) and I feel that bending it to realtime (which is not what is happening, so that's good eh? :P) is a bad idea and would loose a lot of the detail and nuance. Hence if NWN2 had turn based combat I'd be salivating like one of pavlov's dogs.

I'm on the edge of my seat to find out what combat system it does use.

(Reminder: try not to confuse me, that's 'Hazelnut', with any of the other Codex posters - cheers!)

kris

Arcane
elander_ said:
Ok then tell me how turns and initiative work in a real-time with pause game genious. :roll:

Easy. Timeperiod, The one that "hits" best initiative rolls for their hit first and then other, then it is played out. Next timeperiod starts. How long those re in game I don't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom