Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 10 reasons to buy NWN2 by JE Sawyer

Jed

Cipher
elander_ said:
Im a noobe for NWN2 system but if i understand correctly what people are saying here, the time each action takes is measured in d&d rounds (that is 6 seconds). So if the player only has one attack per round and is not hasted he takes exactly 6 secs to do it?
No my friend, he only takes a second or two, and then *cosmetic* attacks fill in the empty space. Talk about unelegant kludge ...

hoochimama

Liturgist
Jed said:
elander_ said:
Im a noobe for NWN2 system but if i understand correctly what people are saying here, the time each action takes is measured in d&d rounds (that is 6 seconds). So if the player only has one attack per round and is not hasted he takes exactly 6 secs to do it?
No my friend, he only takes a second or two, and then *cosmetic* attacks fill in the empty space. Talk about unelegant kludge ...

In NWN1 he'd do an attack and then circle around doing the "dance of death" for six seconds, do ya reckon the nwn2 cosmetic attacks make it better?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Used to be that rounds were 6 seconds, and there were 10 rounds in a turn, so each turn was a minute. But that was AD&D. I dunno about 3E..."

You arer an idiot. In AD&D, rounds were the equivelant of 1 minute. Turns were 10 minutes 3.0 made it 6 seconds.

Geezz.. Not much worse than RPG geeks who think they know stuff; but don't know anything.

"No my friend, he only takes a second or two, and then *cosmetic* attacks fill in the empty space. Talk about unelegant kludge ..."

More idiocy. That's exactly how D&D works espicially AD&D when a round was 1 minute. The whole idea is the extra time is used for attacks that are parried, and dodge. So, it's not really a kludge but taking it old skool.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Autopause is for pussies. If you want a puase then actually use your hand to press the spacebar. Are you that frggin' lazy?

Jed

Cipher
Argh, I was confusing the Infinity Engine take on AD&D with the real rule-set. Further proof, beyond Volourn, that BioWare games kill brain cells...

suibhne

Erudite
Nael said:
Vault Dweller said:
Does the concept of turn escape you completely?

Not right now, but ask me again in 6 seconds.

I know you're joking, but the point is that automatically dividing time into 6-second rounds still doesn't make something "turn-based". :wink:

Also, Volourn's right about the duration of AD&D rounds/turns. I'm guessing the confusion arises from the way BG and other IE games handled it, which IIRC ended up with 6-second rounds like current D&D.

Ladonna

Arcane
I just read the comment by Sol Invictus. :lol:

I am afraid that the plug 'better than anything recently' or whatever, isn't much of a plug.

What is it about these NDA's? Is there a point to them having to keep things secret? Are they afraid some evil company will steal their licensed DnD ideas or something?

Hmm, I haven't seen Saint Proverbius around for a while either. Is he playing with NWN2 as well?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ladonna said:
What is it about these NDA's? Is there a point to them having to keep things secret? Are they afraid some evil company will steal their licensed DnD ideas or something?
No, they are afraid that if a game is utter shit and the word gets out...

Hmm, I haven't seen Saint Proverbius around for a while either. Is he playing with NWN2 as well?
He's playing with himself. Best game evar!*

*may cause blindness

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom