Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 10 Things You Need to Know about Deus Ex: Human Revolution

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p><em>One of 2011's biggest games is shaping up very nicely</em>, says Gamerzines and gives an <a href="http://www.gamerzines.com/pc/previews/10-things-deus-ex-human-rev.html" target="_blank">overview of the details</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>- Adam Jensen is cooler than JC Denton<br /><br />No doubt fans of the original will be livid that we've dared to mention that Jensen is superior to Denton, but hear us out. The new guy has retractable blades from his arms, the ability to disable foes even if they are behind solid brick walls, as well as the knowledge and experience required to deal with any foe. As an agent of the successful human augmentation conglomerate Serif Industries, he's tasked with investigating a recent attack on the company's HQ which not only caused many scientists to lose their lives, but also placed Jensen in critical condition forcing his employer to save his life via drastic augmentations.<br /><br />- The world is in utter turmoil<br /><br />For all the original game's charms, it was hard to properly paint the picture of a drastically transformed future when relying on the Unreal Engine. Thankfully that won't be a problem any longer with the Crystal Engine and even though the game is in pre-alpha, it already looks impressive. So far Eidos Montreal has only shown one level on an island near Shanghai and it was alive with multiple NPCs going about their business with their own wants and needs, a kin to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. As the plot is set before the first Deus Ex expect more exposition about how humanity arrived at such a politically unstable future.</p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15495">RPGWatch</a></p>

roll-a-die

Magister
I have a ligitimate question, why if the mech arms allow you to break through concrete walls, does Gunther not just go kool-aid guy on his cell wall at the start of deus ex?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Re: 10 Things You Need to Know about Deus Ex: Human Revoluti

VentilatorOfDoom said:
So far Eidos Montreal has only shown one level on an island near Shanghai and it was alive with multiple NPCs going about their business with their own wants and needs, a kin to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

So they were walking onto walls and talking about mudcrabs?

Multi-headed Cow

roll-a-die said:
I have a ligitimate question, why if the mech arms allow you to break through concrete walls, does Gunther not just go kool-aid guy on his cell wall at the start of deus ex?
Moreover, why doesn't that fuck up his meat. I thought even the mech augmented people were still mostly meat.

Topher

Cipher
For all the original game's charms, it was hard to properly paint the picture of a drastically transformed future when relying on the Unreal Engine.

So polygon count and texture resolution is how you paint the picture of a drastically transformed future?

As the plot is set before the first Deus Ex expect more exposition about how humanity arrived at such a politically unstable future.

...and it's going to be preachy.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
The mech arms do sound a bit too much. I really hope they don't mess this one up.

ironyuri

10 Things I Hate About You....

Ten things you need to know about Deus Ex: Human Revolution

1. It's not Deus Ex.
2. It's not being made by Ion Storm/Looking Glass.
3. Warren Spector is not a member of the development team.
4. If you post on RPGCodex... you probably won't like it.
5. It will not be possible to complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without combat.
6. Consolised
7. Popamole
8. Dumbed down
9. Streamlined
10. turd.

I lost my inspiration after # 5, so 6/7/8/9/10 are sort of a continuous train of thought.

:smug:

The new guy has retractable blades from his arms, the ability to disable foes even if they are behind solid brick walls, as well as the knowledge and experience required to deal with any foe

Its going to a dumbed down console shooter. Great. :M

For all the original game's charms, it was hard to properly paint the picture of a drastically transformed future when relying on the Unreal Engine.

Why would it be a problem to recreate all Deus Ex maps in the Unreal engine?

As the plot is set before the first Deus Ex expect more exposition about how humanity arrived at such a politically unstable future.

More pseudo story incoming. I bet at least 0.0001% of the development budget is going to be invested into real consistent interesting storywriting. And that will be the name of the mainchar. At most.

But at least we get some more ultracool RPG with alot of "PEW PEW BITCHES" :smug:

punchz

Novice
Re: 10 Things I Hate About You....

ironyuri said:

Because what I want after Invisible War is those people involved in another Deus Ex game.

MetalCraze

Arcane

ironyuri said:

Huh? I see you are fairly new here.
Codex will love it, don't worry.

ironyuri

MetalCraze said:
ironyuri said:

Huh? I see you are fairly new here.
Codex will love it, don't worry.

They'll like it when it first comes out. 2 years later it will be used as an example of the :decline: of the games industry.

punchz said:
ironyuri said:

Because what I want after Invisible War is those people involved in another Deus Ex game.

Depends. I don't write off a developer with a great track record (Deus Ex was as far from a one-off as you can get where Spector is concerned) because they fuck up once. I'm interested in how they respond to their errors once their duty to hype/sell the game has ended, and their personal attachment has died down enough for them to look back objectively. Spector did that and engaged in some pretty open discussion with fans regarding IW. And frankly I thought his interaction and explanations showed a respect for gaming and fans that is missing in almost every single current gaming developer.

THe short version of his explanation was that the simplification and consolisation wasn't so much an intentional dumbing down, as much as the product of becoming so focussed on one impossible aim - making a game where you could kill anyone at any time and branch the game almost infintely - that 'near-freedom' thing - that they lost sight of the rest of the package. Then when they failed to implement that goal, having to rely on obvious props like no-combat areas and unbreakable windows, there wasn't the depth of other gameplay to make things worthwhile.

Basically, Spector has openly admitted he fucked up - to quote him more accurately 'I recognise that the game had some serious failings, I just hope that some of you come to realise the scope of our ambition and what we were trying to do'.

Yeah. When a guy has made Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Ultima 7 part 2 and Deus Ex, and then openly admits he screwed up with Invisible War, I'd be more willing to give him another chance than I would see the property go to a completely unrelated team.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Warren Spector barely had anything to do with the second. He was overseeing all of Ion Storm or something as a director at that point. IW was all Harvey Smith's fuckup.

Elzair

Cipher
[ ] This is not news! (the topic at hand is not newsworthy in my opinion)
[X] The newsitem contained a joke, but I didn't LOL hard enough
[ ] The newsitem didn't contain any joke, I didn't LOL at all
[ ] I don't care (I don't care about the subject and don't want to read anything I don't care about)
[ ] The newsitem contained profanity or foul language which makes me upset
[X] The newsitem didn't contain profanity or foul language which makes me upset
[ ] I think the wrong paragraph has been quoted and I don't want to read the whole article
[X] This is an OUTRAGE! (the newsitem implied something I like very much sucks)
[ ] BROS I CAN HARTDLY TYPE BROS IM TOTLALLY DRIUNKL
[X] I hate VaultDweller (incident of VaultDweller induced butthurt occured earlier, unrelated to the topic at hand)
[X] Other (please specify below)

God, I love this checklist!

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
If at least it is to DX what Thief 3 was to Thief 1/2 then I'll be happy. No point expecting more.
Are you kidding? Thief 3 was worse due to consoles (and mostly due to their ever shitty amount of RAM) but apart from small levels it still was a proper sequel.

The new DX shit has health regen and cover system plus other dumbing down like killing enemies through walls. Meaning that this game is all about shooting the shit out of everyone.

Black

Arcane
Re: 10 Things You Need to Know about Deus Ex: Human Revoluti

VentilatorOfDoom said:
No doubt fans of the original will be livid that we've dared to mention that Jensen is superior to Denton, but hear us out. The new guy has retractable blades from his arms, the ability to disable foes even if they are behind solid brick walls, as well as the knowledge and experience required to deal with any foe.
You know what would make him even cooler? If he shot laser beam from his eyes and photon balls from his mouth!
Maybe in D3u$ 3x 4, current audience isn't ready for so much coolness.

deuxhero

Arcane
So what if this guy has blades in his hands? JC's vision is augmented to see in more colors than vomit green/gold.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Has the guy that modeled for the character whatever his name is come to post a valid point for Deus Ex recently? I often enjoyed his friendly banter and arguments.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
Are you kidding? Thief 3 was worse due to consoles (and mostly due to their ever shitty amount of RAM) but apart from small levels it still was a proper sequel.

Well that's what I'm hoping against hope! Thief 3 was about the only time a different company has made a truly sequel to an established franchise, apart from System Shock 2. Only thing against it was using the limited IW engine that made levels too small and the game too colorful(in a bad way).

The new DX shit has health regen and cover system plus other dumbing down like killing enemies through walls. Meaning that this game is all about shooting the shit out of everyone.

Yeah well, I haven't been following it all that closely, as I expect it to be crap, but fuck, this shit here really has killed off any hope I had. Even IW wasn't that bad and comparing to this, it seems like an authentic DX experience!

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
Thief 3 was about the only time a different company has made a truly sequel to an established franchise
Eh? Many important people from LGS took part in its development. It even had Eric BROsius with his sound being 50% of Thief's atmosphere. Thiaf doesn't have him.

apart from System Shock 2
System Shock 2 was done by the same people, iirc Irrational just split from LGS, but they still developed it together. Meaning it was the same team.

Only thing against it was using the limited IW engine that made levels too small and the game too colorful(in a bad way).
It was modified Unreal Engine 2 man. "Limited" only by 64 MBs of console RAM. But multiplatforms = evil yep.

denizsi

Arcane
Fun Fact: Half the kills you can do in DX HOMO REVOLUTION, like multiple takedowns, are automated cinematic kills that you sit and watch after pressing a single button.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom