Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion will wait for the next holiday season

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

It looks like the rumors of a *minor* delay of <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com>Oblivion</a> weren't rumors after all. According to <a href=http://gamasutra.com>Gamasutra</a>, <b>Take Two</b> has released <a href=http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=7020>a fiscal report</a> basically stating that Oblivion won't be released until Feb 2006.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote> In view of the Company's expectations of a continued cautious U.S. retail environment through the holiday season, and the inherent uncertainty in forecasting the pace of manufacturer shipments and consumer adoption of new hardware platforms, the Company has also reduced its fiscal 2006 guidance as follows:
<br>
<br>
-- For the fiscal year ending October 31, 2006, $1.35 to $1.45 billion in net sales and $1.15 to $1.45 in diluted net income per share.
<br>
<br>
-- For the first quarter ending January 31, 2006, $300 to $350 million in net sales and $0.04 to $0.10 in diluted net income per share. In addition to the factors mentioned above, <u>the reduction in first quarter guidance also reflects the movement of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PC and Xbox 360 from the first quarter to the second quarter</u> and the movement of the Japanese launch of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for PlayStation 2 out of the first quarter and the fiscal year. </blockquote>
<br>
Well, I'd say that's a positive development. The game didn't look vey polished to me, so delaying it instead of rushing to hit the Christmas season is a good idea.
<br>
<br>
Anyway, I checked the official forums, and here is a quote to warm up your hearts and donate something to those who are less fortunate intellectually:
<br>
"TAKE TWO AND BETH EQUAL DIFFERENT COMPANIES geez come on people THINK!!!"
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

obediah

Erudite
good, now we DUNT H4v3 TO BI OBLIVEUN!!!1111!!!!!tw3lvity for like 3 more months

Micmu

Magister
It was obvious from the very beginning that there will be a delay (fuss about screenshots, foootages, etc).
Yeah, I hope they optimize it enough for my PC.

obediah

Erudite
micmu said:
It was obvious from the very beginning that there will be a delay (fuss about screenshots, foootages, etc).
Yeah, I hope they optimize it enough for my PC.

I was oblivious to oblivions obvious delay.

Doppelganger

Novice
Yes, and the mods over there are locking the threads on this info quicker than a $10 shag. One has somehow managed to convince himself that, due to the way the financial year is calculated, this still means 'Holidays 2005'!

Nutcracker

Scholar
Ha, over at the ESF they're closing threads left, right and centre. Censorship at its finest.

kastha

Novice
they COULD just release the damned release date and save all this crap! i'm really starting to hate pete hines.

Odorousrex

Novice
If they had any sense, they would release the damn PC version before Christmas to save what little marketshare they can save - and then let the PC users spend the next 3 months Beta testing it for free! Then come March, master a flawless XBOX360 title.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
MSFD! What do you have to say about this?

Confirm/Deny?

I KNOW you've seen this news post. :lol:

kastha

Novice
yeesssss MSFD. speak to us! convert the heathens! or at least tell us what's going on with this PR strategy. at the moment the tactic seems like "tell them nothing but damaging stuff"

Dhruin

Liturgist
I'll be glad to leave the release date speculation behind for a while.

Spazmo

Erudite
I was hoping to leave this game behind as quickly as possible. Like obediah says, the sooner it's out, the sooner the pre-release BS discussion is over and the sooner we can get through the post-release BS discussion (which, if NWN and Morrowind are pattern setters, will last a while). Basically, Oblivion is like a really vicious band-aid. It'll be really bad whenever it comes off, so it's better to just tear it off in one clean jerk and be done with it.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Anyone else here thing game companies should be forbidden from being publicly traded? All that seems to do is create an enviroment where releasing the game in the right fiscal window supercedes releasing the game in the right state, i.e. finished.

Mech

Cipher
The level of fucking stupid in the forums after everyone saw that has reached my breaking point. Im never going back there for a long long time.
PEOPLE THERE ARE SO FUCKING STUPID IT HURTS. :x

OMG OMG OBLIVION DELAYED!:!!#)#)#

two seconds later...

OBLVION DELAY!!!!

two seconds later by the same poster who has his thread locked.

OBLIVING DELAYED AGAIN!!!!!

FFS, shoot me now.

EDIT: The fact that someone can't see 10 FRIGGEN THREADS ON THE FIRST PAGE about the same subject makes me want to commit mass murder.

Brillo

Novice
Mech said:
The level of fucking stupid in the forums after everyone saw that has reached my breaking point.
And it took you this long to notice? That forum's been a hellhole for months. :) It is ocassionally fun to go back in and fuck around with certain people however. ;) Try it, it'll keep ya sane. Or at least provide some measure of amusement.

kastha

Novice
"the gene-pool is stagnant, and I am the minister of chlorine!"

tanjo

Novice
Well this is good news. Now they can add some of the basic stuff the Nov. release was going to lack, like uhm, spears and all the other weapons. Guards with big ass double bladed battleaxes is just lame-o; they need spears. Maybe Bethesda can even figure out how to get mounted combat to work. They shouldn't be able to falll back on the "not enough time" excuse anymore about some of the things they didn't plan on including in the Nov. release.

/obvious

Brillo

Novice
tanjo said:
Well this is good news. Now they can add some of the basic stuff the game lacked, like uhm, say, spears and all the other weapons. Guards with big ass double bladed battleaxes is just lame-o; they need spears. Maybe Bethesda can even figure out how to get mounted combat to work. They shouldn't be able to falll back on the "not enough time" excuse anymore about some of the things they didn't plan on including in the Nov. release.
Uh, I'm pretty sure they're delaying it to finish the stuff they've been promising, not add a bunch of new stuff they already didn't have the time for. If they start adding stuff they'd only end up delaying it for even longer.

kastha

Novice
AKA duke nukem forever. anyone ever find out what happenned to that game?

tanjo

Novice
Brillo said:
tanjo said:
Well this is good news. Now they can add some of the basic stuff the game lacked, like uhm, say, spears and all the other weapons. Guards with big ass double bladed battleaxes is just lame-o; they need spears. Maybe Bethesda can even figure out how to get mounted combat to work. They shouldn't be able to falll back on the "not enough time" excuse anymore about some of the things they didn't plan on including in the Nov. release.
Uh, I'm pretty sure they're delaying it to finish the stuff they've been promising, not add a bunch of new stuff they already didn't have the time for. If they start adding stuff they'd only end up delaying it for even longer.

Are you sure that's why they're delaying it? I thought it had to do with some financial bullshit.

Lowry

Novice
They wont be adding anything new, i noticed one website reporting they still had problems with the ai causing npc fights where they werent wanted. the ai has always sounded like it could cause a lot of problems which could be hard to spot until the game has been running for a substantial amount of time, or if certain actions were performed by the player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom