Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News WTF: Knights of the Old Republic II gets new official patch, TSLRCM now available via Steam Workshop

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aspyr Media; Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords; The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod

Over a decade since its troubled release, Obsidian's Knights of the Old Republic II has received a new official patch introducing a host of enhancements. The responsible party is Aspyr Media, the company previously known for developing the Mac and mobile ports of the original KOTOR. Their announcement post on Steam has the details:

Introducing and updated KOTOR II for Mac, Linux, and Windows!!!

Aspyr in partnership with Disney/Lucas is proud to announce STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II - The Sith Lords™ is now available on Mac and LInux, along with a massive update to all 3 platforms.

New features include:
  • 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
  • Steam Cloud saves
  • Native widescreen resolution support
  • Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
  • Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
  • Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day
Oh...and we added a "Force Speed Effects" option in the menu ;)

Chime in here with your thoughts on the update! I will be starting seperate forums for both Technical Support and Workshop Mods shortly.

Why did we do this? Because we LOVE KOTOR 2. But lets all remember what love truly is...Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.
This is pretty awesome! Note that in addition to the Restored Content Mod itself, the M4-78 Droid Planet Mod is also available on Steam Workshop. Both mods have received updated versions for this release. The game itself, if you don't own it already, is currently on sale for $7.5. What about the GOG version, you ask? According to the developers, that might be coming later.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
WTF indeed, but a welcome surprise!

The Force Speed effect toggle is enough to make this POTY, Patch of the Year.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow. Too bad they didn't let Obsidian do it though. They could have finished the game FFS!

Deleted member 7219

Obsidian might not have wanted to do it.

This is fucking incredible, though. This very rarely happens, especially with LucasArts games. KOTOR 2 got a few patches, but the ending was mostly abandoned and it is fantastic to see TSLRCM on the Steam Workshop now. It'll mean more people can enjoy their hard work.

As for the patch itself, it'll be great to not have to use custom mods to bump up the resolution. I just tested it and the UI fix seems to have been included too (including the minimap fix). The only stuff that stretches is the stuff that stretched before, in the menus.

Cloud saves are much appreciated too, I've always lost saves before when uninstalling and reinstalling KOTOR 2. One of the best things about Steam IMO.

Anyway, if this is your first playthrough - ENJOY. This is a fucking classic. Gotta be in my top three RPGs.

eXalted

Arcane
Whoa, that's cool!

And you know the best thing? I haven't played the game yet (played only KotOR I )! :kwafuckyeah:

And now a widescreen patch for KotOR I? (I never got to run the different fan patches correctly)

Deleted member 7219

Whoa, that's cool!

And you know the best thing? I haven't played the game yet (played only KotOR I )! :kwafuckyeah:

And now a widescreen patch for KotOR I? (I never got to run the different fan patches correctly)

I would expect that is on the way.

I am incredibly jealous of you, though. Now I know how other Codexers feel when someone comes along and says they've never played Torment, or Fallout. Those games are cherished in these parts, and KOTOR 2 is greatly cherished by me.

eXalted

Arcane
I am incredibly jealous of you, though. Now I know how other Codexers feel when someone comes along and says they've never played Torment, or Fallout. Those games are cherished in these parts, and KOTOR 2 is greatly cherished by me.
Yeah, I know what you mean. If there was a way for selective memory erasing so that I can forget my playthroughs on Fallout, I would do it.

Athelas

Arcane
So Obsidian had nothing to do with this? At all?
Why pay a company to do something for which there already exists a free, fan-made mod?

Also, the lead designer of the game no longer works at Obsidian. :M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is BIG ! Time for 10 Codex reviews and i should replay it 7 more times !

After Fallout, Kotor 2 is probably my favourite RPG !

KotOR 2 still remains my undisputed favorite Star Wars game and seeing this patch made my day. Funny thing is that I have had the urge to boot up this fucker for a few months. :happytrollboy:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So Obsidian had nothing to do with this? At all?
Why pay a company to do something for which there already exists a free, fan-made mod?

Well, they paid a different company to patch the game.

The emergence of dedicated "long-term support shops" like Aspyr is an interesting phenemonon. It's like, initially their business model was doing Mac and mobile ports, but once they did that, they discovered they could use what they'd learned for other stuff as well.

Give 'em VTM:B next?

almondblight

Arcane
The emergence of dedicated "long-term support shops" like Aspyr is an interesting phenemonon. It's like, initially their business model was doing Mac and mobile ports, but once they did that, they discovered they could use what they'd learned for other stuff as well.

Online distribution has been pretty great in general. Developers who want to keep squeezing money out of their products have an incentive to keep updating and releasing content for games (which is probably why we're seeing so many free enhanced editions these days). In the past there wasn't much of a monetary incentive; even if you released a huge update for your game, there was no chance you were going to get the shelf space you got on release (and most players probably wouldn't even find out about the patch anyway).

Perkel

Arcane
brb somebody be nice and gift steam key to me

fuck my life i just spend nearly 500$ from my credit card and there isn't even 5$ left there...

:rage:

Infinitron we are doing reviews right :D ? 5 reviews for KOTOR2 in 2015

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Did they fix the incredible amounts of game breaking bugs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom