Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity: The White March Gameplay Footage at Gamescom 2015

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Pillars of Eternity; Pillars of Eternity: The White March

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer made the rounds at Gamescom today to show off some Pillars of Eternity: The White March gameplay footage. His first appearance was on IGN's Gamescom stream:

Josh also made a brief appearance at the Paradox Gamescom conference this evening, showing off a shorter version of the same recorded gameplay footage. At both venues, he explained the expansion's new features. According to him, almost all of the combat shown is being played automatically with the new party AI scripts, but there's not much else to say about it otherwise.

Our own intrepid Gamescom agents also had a look at The White March yesterday, and they came away with positive impressions - of the game, at least. More on that later.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Raised level cap by 2! Soul bound weapons! Is the same boring shit as before! Fuck Yeah!

When will this clusterfuck end?

Tigranes

Arcane
Raised level cap by 2! Soul bound weapons! Is the same boring shit as before! Fuck Yeah!

When will this clusterfuck end?

Expansion pack released 5 months after provides similar gameplay to original game! Fuck this decline!

More seriously: fuck all of you that want POE and IE games to play themselves, now we get party AI but who knows how much work they got to do on enemy AI.

OK, really seriously: Environments look nice but the real test will be whether they show any improvements in encounter design, which at least wouldn't involve engine/system level overhauls. They do seem to have made the text adventures more interesting.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't think anyone here asked for PC AI, it was Obsidian's focus group research or whatever that decided it was necessary because people don't like controlling 6 characters.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It clearly would have been a better game if it was more like Dragon Age. Good to see Obsidian moving this game in the right direction :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know a casual who won't play the game until it has party AI.

More seriously: fuck all of you that want POE and IE games to play themselves, now we get party AI but who knows how much work they got to do on enemy AI.

There might be some synergy between enemy and party AI development.

Anyway like I said, improvements have been made according to our guys, although I don't know yet what exactly they are. We'll have to wait for it

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Expansion pack released 5 months after provides similar gameplay to original game! Fuck this decline!

OK, really seriously: Environments look nice but the real test will be whether they show any improvements in encounter design, which at least wouldn't involve engine/system level overhauls. They do seem to have made the text adventures more interesting.

I cannot into your rambling.

I just Obsidian to announce something new ... something fresh cause PoE is dead to me (with or without this expansion).

roshan

Arcane
Combat still looks like total shit, like a party based Diablo 3/WOW hybrid.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't think anyone here asked for PC AI, it was Obsidian's focus group research or whatever that decided it was necessary because people don't like controlling 6 characters.

A lot of people asked for party AI elsewhere - and on Codex I know quite a few people said they'd like it. So I'm sure party AI feature makes them cheer. I wish those resources were spent elsewhere.

I cannot into your rambling.

I just Obsidian to announce something new ... something fresh cause PoE is dead to me (with or without this expansion).

That probably will happen in a thread not titled Pillars of Eternity expansion.

(I think we just learned Brian is lead on an unannounced RPG?)

Shevek

Arcane
It will be interesting to see if enemy ai does improve and if they leverage that into making better encounters.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grandpa Josh trying to spread some hype for Pillar of Eternity...
Never forget.

I wonder if he also pronounces Cologne instead of Koln.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
it was Obsidian's focus group research or whatever that decided it was necessary because people don't like controlling 6 characters.

The problem is much more interesting - I don't like to control 6 chracters too, at least in PoE, not in BG and of course not in PT.
The reason I like D:OS that it give choce - 2 or 4 character you want to controle.

Anyway, for me the only decent playtrough of PoE is solo on PotD, party from 6 is too much.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Lots of pausing to maximize dps if ur a monk, as a paladin it was mainly trying to squeeze out every possible point of deflection to stop the cascade of defensive debuffs

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The problem is much more interesting - I don't like to control 6 chracters too, at least in PoE, not in BG and of course not in PT.
The reason I like D:OS that it give choce - 2 or 4 character you want to controle.

Anyway, for me the only decent playtrough of PoE is solo on PotD, party from 6 is too much.

Come on my Nigga combat in DoS was at least fun... Its more you can say about any element of Pillows except pretty and fun to watch scenery.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Never got this party Ai shit, if you think this game is so boring you got the Ai to play for you, why are you wasting your time? All Infinite Engine games (except Torment) and PoE have awful fan fiction stories, something I would be ashamed to include on my resumee if I were a writer, it isn't like you are wasting all this time to even watch a decent story.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, I guess now it plays itself with even greater efficiency!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom