Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Update #36: The Matrix Revealed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun: Hong Kong

With Shadowrun: Hong Kong only two weeks from release, Harebrained Schemes have finally released some screenshots of the game's revamped Matrix, in a Kickstarter update dedicated entirely to it. And boy does it look cool:

That gold one is an exampled of a Sculpted System location. The update also comes with a couple of animated GIFs and with two music tracks that play in the new Matrix. Oh, and there's also a message for those of you who are anxious about their keys:

20a8e4e902b4db520c0f01e5ba59caa7_original.gif
a0d64eff2f63dc0f7c3ccf41b2c5db23_original.gif

So that's how the new Matrix looks and sounds, but how does it play? Well, we've revised a lot of Matrix systems and added some really fun new stuff such as Watcher IC and Blocker IC which really ramp up the tension of diving into cyberspace and provide a much greater variety of gameplay than before. We'd love to go into more detail but - every minute we can spend testing and polishing the game right now is vital. We hope to tell you more about Matrix gameplay in the coming weeks, or you can see it for yourself on August 20th!

One other thing - we know everyone's anxious to get their keys, so we also want to let you know we're in the process of getting keys and other rewards into your BackerKit accounts. Watch for an update soon announcing that they're available, and for a general status update on the various Kickstarter rewards.

Note that your keys can't be delivered to your account unless you've answered your survey. You can head to the SRHK BackerKit page to double-check that you've answered your survey, or email them at support@backerkit.com if you need any help.
So, I guess they saved the Matrix until the very end to generate hype before release. Are you hyped, Codex?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm actually a bit disappointed - it looks like the same gameplay with better graphics, when it was the gameplay of the Matrix that was kinda boring.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is it me or, besides the sculpted area, are the matrix graphics not that greatly improved? It's been a while since I've played SRR and DF...

Looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any word on animation speeds? Like a x2-3 option or just a general effort to increase the speed of some ability animations? I also noticed in real-time/non-combat mode that when you click to move to a location very far away your characters run much faster than when you click nearby (and when you click even closer they just walk), could use an option to move max speed at all times.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm actually a bit disappointed - it looks like the same gameplay with better graphics, when it was the gameplay of the Matrix that was kinda boring.
Well, they added stealth, so that's something.

Environments look much better.

FrankHamilton

Educated
Isn't it a good thing then that they added to the Matrix gameplay?
The big problem with the Matrix was that it used the same system for the squad combat which was only interesting because of the multiple characters with varied abilities. Make me use only one character and it becomes a lot more lackluster.

It's nice that they're adding a stealth mechanic to it, which lends itself better to single character gameplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ideally the Matrix would have mechanics built into it that lend themselves to more of an environmental interaction "isometric Deus Ex"/UnderRail type of experience.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Hopefully those moving sentries provide a bit more challenge. Like Sensuki said, the gameplay was always kinda boring, and one of the main reasons for that was that you had to work really hard to actually fail. Would have been more hyped if the devs promised to ramp up the difficulty.

almondblight

Arcane
Hopefully those moving sentries provide a bit more challenge. Like Sensuki said, the gameplay was always kinda boring, and one of the main reasons for that was that you had to work really hard to actually fail. Would have been more hyped if the devs promised to ramp up the difficulty.

I thought the Blitz mission had some decent matrix stuff. The bits puzzle wasn't that difficult, but it was a decent change of pace. And I definitely died a few times when you faced off against that decker at the end, and had to change my strategy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The bits puzzle wasn't that difficult, but it was a decent change of pace. And I definitely died a few times when you faced off against that decker at the end, and had to change my strategy.

Same here. I was at first like "lol some stupid decker enemy" and then I died. :M

I then had to change my tactics.

FrankHamilton

Educated
Only no one made you use only one character: you could easily make a squad of "summons".
Which each had one ability, compare that with "real combat" where you had a spellcaster who could cast spells and summon demons from the environment, melee fighters etc. With the summoned programs you only did the one thing, shoot and I kinda remember there was one with a shield buff or something. Even the shaman's summons are more interesting than that.

Point is, it's pretty clear the only reason they put the matrix in the game in the first place is because that's what people expected of Shadowrun, not because they wanted to try out an interesting game mechanic. For the most part they didn't really seem to know what to do with it.

almondblight

Arcane
Point is, it's pretty clear the only reason they put the matrix in the game in the first place is because that's what people expected of Shadowrun, not because they wanted to try out an interesting game mechanic. For the most part they didn't really seem to know what to do with it.

Yeah, they even said so themselves. Originally it was just going to be a straight-up skill check, but then they threw in the current system at the last minute (and feels like it too). I'd personally prefer if the hacking was something that felt completely different from the real world, even if it's a bit simple (the SNES Shadowrun hacking did a decent job with that). But we're not going to see a complete overhaul until they switch engines.

skyst

Augur
The times when your decker is in the matrix while the rest of the squad protects him in the real world are quite compelling. I think that the effect of those situations would be lost if the matrix were simply a skill check that took your decker out of the fight for 5 turns or whatever while he matrixed. It also creates situations where your decker can impact the battle in the real world by activating turrets or whatever else.

Tigranes

Arcane
The matrix has always been entirely pointless: you're basically playing a much uglier and much more limited (and therefore superboring) version of real combat. The only interesting gameplay comes from defending your occupied hacker in the real world ... in other words, the same level of gameplay that any incapacity debuff induces.

The new matrix seems prettier and marginally more interesting, but it's still likely to be another yawn time where you spend most of the time waiting for the slow enemy attack animations, and either kill everybody with a proper decker or miss every other shot and run around behind corners playing turn-based popamole with our shitty decker.

TomatoJuice

Educated
I would not mind if the matrix was all skill checks.

But lets see how the matrix upgrades work in real game play.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm going to be savescumming like all hell to avoid that tedious Matrix combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom