Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga December Update: First Screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Seven Dragon Saga; Tactical Simulations Interactive

TSI's Seven Dragon Saga didn't receive one of its now-regular monthly updates last month (or maybe it was this), but they've made up for it this month. In the latest update, we get our first glimpse of what the game looks like right now. Behold:

We’ve been chattering about the re-release of some of our old SSI games, so we thought we’d show you some current images of Seven Dragon Saga, the new one we’ve been grinding on. As you can see above, the environments have significantly improved. The player can rotate and zoom the camera, so they can get a good feel of the world, spot NPCs, and enemies, and plan their missions. We use real time lighting, so the shadows are dynamic, and we can shift from day to night without issue.

Along the bottom of the screen is our main user interface, sans final icons. Each diamond would represent a possible action, color coded by the size of the action (characters get one big, one medium and one small action each turn.) Hover over an icon and it will describe the skill. The sword and shield icon allows for changing weapon sets, such as dual blades to a bow.

These depict the rebellious and ungoverned Mann Highlands, east of the Feydri Homeland. Home to bandits, rebels, and the dangerous Slyth. These worn buildings were part of the greater Drakyi kingdom in the days before the dragons turned their greatest cities to glass, and drove them beneath the ground. The Empress and even the Feydri Queen have little sway here. You will have to survive on your wits and strength of arms.

In the lower left, we have a combat log, so players can review their results. Players can resize the panel to meet their needs, minimizing it if they don’t care.

Let us know what you like about what you see. Have a very Happy Holidays, and look for more great stuff from us in the New Year.​

Niiiice. I don't know how these guys are feeding themselves, but they're on the right track.

Xenich

Cipher
I kind of like the look. Not cartoony, but stylized, it has an artistic influence I can't put my finger on, but it looks good. I think it can work well and it gives a sense of its own flare rather than chasing the status quot of today's art styles in games. I also like their approach to the interface, familiar, yet with its own adaptions and workable touches.

I say good job!

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
We got a guest in the 1st screen

Slyth-marketing2b-818x1024.jpg

norolim

Arcane
Looks good. The UI feels a bit chaotic in both the right and left bottom corners, but it's nothing that can't be easily improved.

I think it looks terrible. Best of luck to them.
I think it looks quite good. Clean and simple enough without giving up too much on the eye candy.
Well, at least it seems so in a screenshot. The main difference in terms of visual appeal for me would be decided by how nice the characters look in movement (good animations and so on).

Dorateen

Arcane
There are no direct investment options at this time. Seems to me they have the following options available to them:

1. Self publish
2. Line up a deal with a small time publisher
3. Launch another crowd funding campaign in 2016

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Looks like a good start to me. I like the art style... now the UI just needs some work.

Once they've made enough progress, I assume they'll launch a new crowdfunding campaign. It's a lot easier to sell stuff when you have pretty pictures to go with it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is looking better with each screenshot. Good to see it is still progressing. Hopefully it does not end like Thorvalla and/or Deathfire.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Its not even sure they will return to Kickstarter, I think they have the means and the determination to pull this off either way, even without KS.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Its not even sure they will return to Kickstarter, I think they have the means and the determination to pull this off either way, even without KS.

I wouldn't mind them coming back to KS for round 2, but they better have an actual plan this time around because their original pitch was weak even by "here's some concept art and drivel from our IDEA GUY" standards we've come to expect. Extra money can always help if only to further polish the game.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Agreed, with something to show and better marketing/communication a second Kickstarter could succeed. The first campaign was just appallingly bad.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

I wouldn't mind them coming back to KS for round 2, but they better have an actual plan this time around because their original pitch was weak even by "here's some concept art and drivel from our IDEA GUY" standards we've come to expect. Extra money can always help if only to further polish the game.

They have much more to show for this time.

One other problem with the original pitch was that these people were not exactly Fargo levels of charismatic, so they should adress that problem too. Also they have no old IP as pull factor and I don't think that 'From the Gold Box Devs' has a lot of pull anymore these days, so if they return to KS they might want to think about lowering the amount of money they ask for in any case.

I'll be a first day backer if they do.

Edit, for fun anecdote: After the first KS failed I came home pretty drunk one night and I felt like 'expressing my disappointment' and showing my support and what not, the silly shit you do when youre plastered.. some people text their friends, other people text video game developers .. so I wrote them a drunken email full of spelling errors that makes me cringe when I read it now. Nonetheless, I got a very nice answer by David Klein, nothing special, just a 'thank you for your support' thingy, but I thought it was really nice. So they are in my cool book now.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think the biggest problem, was that as the forefathers of the Gold Box Games, they needed to continue to build upon that legacy that they created. And need to communicate that point with this new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom