Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #3: Being a Fatebinder

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

In what's turning out to be a busy news day, Obsidian's Brian Heins has just published a new Tyranny dev diary update. It's a lore update that describes what it means to be a Fatebinder in Kyros' empire. You should already know the basics from previous Tyranny previews and interviews, so I'll skip the introduction and get to the new stuff:

Laws of Kyros

Kyros’ laws are numerous, and it is the duty of Fatebinders to interpret them in their judgments. Some laws are absolute, some are contradictory, and some are both absolute and contradictory. Fatebinders spend many years learning Kyros’ laws, the judgments handed down by previous generations of Binders, and the times when Kyros punished a Fatebinder for overstepping with their judgments.

Some of Kyros’ laws include:

Kyros’ Peace: Your life belongs to the Overlord if you vow fealty, and cannot be taken from you except by the Overlord. Legally this means that surrendering in the midst of battle should make Kyros soldiers stop killing you, as your life does not belong to them. It also grants Archons, as extensions of Kyros’ will, the right to conscript citizens into their service as soldiers, mages, or agents. As a Fatebinder you are an extension of Kyros’ Will, and have the right to order the execution of those guilty of breaking the law.

The Magician’s Folly: If a mage inadvertently causes harm or death due to the unknowable perils of magic, the mage will not be held liable if the magic was used for the glory of the Overlord. Many believe this law grants mages more rights in Kyros’ Empire, but they are wrong. Mages must belong to sanctioned guilds under the supervision and control of an Archon. Any use of magic, even a spell as simple as lighting a candle, must occur for the glory of Kyros. To do otherwise means death.

Vows Made in Kyros’ Name: Any vow or expression made using Kyros’ name is a binding legal contract. Breaking such a vow is punishable by death. A statement as simple as, “By Kyros, that man is an idiot!” places the speaker in dire peril. An enemy who hears that and can gather both witnesses to your vow, and proof that the man in question is not an idiot, can have you executed.

The Oldwalls are Forbidden: What are the Oldwalls, you ask? Wouldn’t you like to know…

Right of Appeal

A Fatebinder’s judgment, once made, is final. There is no right of appeal. That does not mean a Fatebinder can make any decisions they want, without fear of consequence or reprisal.

If someone is powerful enough, or the favorite of an Archon, they can demand audience with the Archon of Justice. Tunon will never completely overrule a Fatebinder’s decision. Doing so would undermine the rule of law and the integrity of the Fatebinders. However, if Tunon decides that a Binder has stepped beyond the limits of Kyros’ law, he will order their immediate execution.

Archon of Justice

Tunon the Adjudicator is the Archon of Justice and creator of the Fatebinders. Eldest of the Archons in service to Kyros, he has served the Overlord for over 400 years. Though legends tell of many Archons of Justice in the years before Kyros’ ascension, none have been born to challenge Tunon’s claim to the title in the past centuries.

Tunon is a cold and dispassionate figure, devoid of emotion and sentiment. All that moves him is his devotion to Kyros’ law. His true face is hidden behind a metal mask, his Face of Judgment, so that none may see his expression and so determine his feelings about a case before him.

The full extent of Tunon’s powers is unknown. What is known is that the other Archons, beings of immense power in their own right, fear his judgment almost as much as they fear the Overlord’s displeasure.
I can already imagine this leading to some Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics-style rules lawyering...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tunon the Adjudicator is the Archon of Justice and creator of the Fatebinders. Eldest of the Archons in service to Kyros, he has served the Overlord for over 400 years. Though legends tell of many Archons of Justice in the years before Kyros’ ascension, none have been born to challenge Tunon’s claim to the title in the past centuries...
...until now.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The Oldwalls are Forbidden: What are the Oldwalls, you ask? Wouldn’t you like to know…
Very informative.

DarkArcher

Educated
Something about this project just doesn't seem as high quality as their others. It makes me wonder whether this is one of the reasons Avellone left Obsidian.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the Codex will continue to suffer from Tyranny Erectile Dysfunction until gameplay footage is released. Hearts of Iron 4 comes out in less than two weeks so it might not be far off.

Tigranes

Arcane
Something about this project just doesn't seem as high quality as their others. It makes me wonder whether this is one of the reasons Avellone left Obsidian.

My coffee wasn't quite as rich as the one I had when KOTOR2 was announced. It makes me wonder whether this is why Chris left Obsidian.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
"The Archon of the Black Vale and the Archoness of New Ranosia are embroiled in a deep dispute over riparian rights related to River Naxus. Complicating matters are a two-centuries-old settlement vesting the Syndic Tion -- as successor in interest to the Syndic Petrus -- with certain effluvial easements upstream on the Naxus. While that settlement is arguably abrogated by Kyros' conquest, a persuasive but non-binding decision of the Fatebinder Smaell suggests that it may continue to have force. A slight drought and a reduced flow of the Naxus due to sediment buildup has resulted in insufficient water to fully irrigate the Ranosian kale fields, and the Archoness is concerned what this will due to the export-import balance of her territory. Fatebinder, we have assigned you two law clerks to assist in your research. Go forth!"

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
"The Archon of the Black Vale and the Archoness of New Ranosia are embroiled in a deep dispute over riparian rights related to River Naxus. Complicating matters are a two-centuries-old settlement vesting the Syndic Tion -- as successor in interest to the Syndic Petrus -- with certain effluvial easements upstream on the Naxus. While that settlement is arguably abrogated by Kyros' conquest, a persuasive but non-binding decision of the Fatebinder Smaell suggests that it may continue to have force. A slight drought and a reduced flow of the Naxus due to sediment buildup has resulted in insufficient water to fully irrigate the Ranosian kale fields, and the Archoness is concerned what this will due to the export-import balance of her territory. Fatebinder, we have assigned you two law clerks to assist in your research. Go forth!"
Did you make it intentionally painful to read?

Also, the art is so damn lame, I guess that's why infi didn't include on OP.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Of course!

But lest you worry:

QUEST ADDED: Clean the River
To resolve the dispute regarding the River Naxus, you will need to kill 20 sludgelords dumping industrial waste into the river.

QUEST UPDATE: Clean the River, ctd.
Killing the sludgelords has saved the river, but enraged the vile Syndic Tion. Use your multi-fire-arrow to put an end to his uprising!

QUEST UPDATE: Clean the River (complete)
Tion's death has ushered in a new era of clean water. Moreover, the new Syndic has instituted fair labor practices. You stick Tion's head on a pike to warn others against defying Kyros' will, because Evil Has Won in this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
>_> Good grief MRY. If this game wasn't classless, we would need to ask for a Lawyer class.

Also, the art is so damn lame, I guess that's why infi didn't include on OP.

I didn't include it because it would have made the post too big.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
All PCs are lawyers in the game. Those "many years" of legal study should be part of the character creation process. Possibly in real time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

They're yet another example of lazy fantasy writing in the form of a la carte compound words.

"Hellbeard the Furysinger, wielding his trusty shardblade, Dawnthorn, traveled stealthily through the Dankwood in pursuit of Frostmane the Pillockravager."

Ten out of fucking ten, where's my book deal?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Plenty of this stuff reminds me of playing a shaper. You hold authority over creations and common folk, but they don't necessarily respect it and you may have to back up your words with force. You can conscript guards to fight for the cause if you are skilled enough and it's a big taboo for mere subjects to hinder your progress, or worse yet, try to fight you. How you deal with rebels and other ilk will be judged by your superiors. Magic is heavily regulated, and mages will probably offer grubby deals in exchange for some flexibility.

Not that I expect Tranny to come even remotely close to the quality of the Geneforge series.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dear God, Obsidian must really hate lawyers, "You are now an evil lawyer on an evil land of lawyers." :lol:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Vows Made in Kyros’ Name: Any vow or expression made using Kyros’ name is a binding legal contract. Breaking such a vow is punishable by death. A statement as simple as, “By Kyros, that man is an idiot!” places the speaker in dire peril. An enemy who hears that and can gather both witnesses to your vow, and proof that the man in question is not an idiot, can have you executed.

They'll probably use this mechanic in a quest.

Zanzoken

Arcane
This is literally the worst concept and pitch I have ever seen for an RPG.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom