Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #4: Meet the Archons

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

The latest Tyranny dev diary update from Brian Heins is another lore-related one. This time it's about the Archons, Kyros' powerful lieutenants. In an interesting twist, it turns out that "Archon" isn't merely a title bestowed by Kyros upon a powerful servant, but a kind of naturally occurring phenomenon that he's harnessed to his benefit. The update describes three of these individuals in detail:

Archons are women and men who possess incredible powers. They are more than just skilled fighters or mages. Each Archon has unique abilities that set them above the rest of humanity. Pox, the third Archon of Ruin under Kyros’ rule, can wither the limbs of her enemies with a glance and spread plague with a touch. Cairn, Archon of Stone, is a giant of a man with skin the hue and strength of granite, able to shatter the earth with a thought.

No one knows how Archons gain their strength. Some Archons were born to power and privilege. Others were beggars in the street before their powers manifested. The only common thread among Archons is that they serve Kyros. Or they die.

Few Archons have appeared in the latter decades of the Overlord’s rule. If one believes the legends of the time before Kyros, new Archons arose every few decades. These new Archons, called exarchs, would challenge the current Archon of their powers for dominance. The most famous of these legends tells of a young exarch challenging the Sun Queen, Archon of Fire. Their battle lasted for days and created the Scar, a miles-wide swath of destruction that persists to this day, centuries later.

Dozens of Archons currently bow to Kyros’ will. Below is more information on some you will meet while playing Tyranny.

Archon of War

Graven Ashe is the Archon of War and general of the Disfavored, one of Kyros’ elite armies. Before serving Kyros, Graven Ashe fought against the Overlord in defense of his homeland. It was during this desperate defense that Ashe’s powers as an exarch began to manifest. His soldiers would rise from the battlefield, healed of all but the most lethal wounds.

These abilities allowed his army to resist the Overlord’s invasion for longer than any other since the early days of Kyros’ conquest. They also brought him to the attention of Blood Ruin, then Archon of War and leader of Kyros’ invading soldiers.

The final battle between Graven Ashe and Blood Ruin was the greatest of the Age. Though Ashe ultimately emerged triumphant – claiming the mantle of Archon of War – he and his army were weakened by the battle and Ashe was captured by other Archons loyal to Kyros.

Graven Ashe was dragged before Kyros. No one knows what the Overlord said, or did, to the rebellious general. But from that day forward, Graven Ashe served Kyros loyally as the new Archon of War.

Archon of Secrets

Few in the Empire speak of the Voices of Nerat for only the foolish wish to draw the eye of Kyros’ Spymaster and torturer. Over hundreds of years of service to the Overlord, his blood-soaked hands have crushed rebellions and condemned countless traitors.

Many questions surround the most enigmatic of Archons. Only Kyros and the eldest Archons remember the Voices’ origin, and they do not speak of it. Is Nerat the name of a person? A place? Or something else entirely? What powers does he possess, and what face lies behind his ornate bronze mask? The answers to these questions may grant power over the Archon. Or they may be merely a series of false trails, mysteries engendered by the Archon to distract his enemies.

Beyond all of the questions, a few facts are known. The Voices serves Kyros with a fanatic’s devotion. Even the slightest hint of treason is enough to draw his wrath. Many believe this is the reason that the Voices despises Graven Ashe with such intensity; he refuses to forgive even though the Overlord accepted Ashe’s surrender.

In recent years the Voices of Nerat has formed his own army under Kyros rule. Forsaking the whispers of his spies and the sanguine gloom of his torture chambers, the Archon of Secrets now marches to war as leader of the Scarlet Chorus. Less an army than a howling mob, the Chorus is like a swarm of bladed locusts that ravages the land – and people – they march over. The only rein on their wildness is their Archon’s brutal nature.

Archon of Shadows

The eyes of Bleden Mark watch from every shadow. He is Kyros’ executioner, tasked with ending the lives of those Kyros deems dangerous. There is no army that marches behind Bleden Mark, no city hails him as ruler, and no great monument that boasts his name. While the other Archons surround themselves with human trappings, Bleden Mark is cloaked solely in shadow.

Though Bleden Mark owes allegiance to Kyros, the Archon of Shadows is often used to carry out Tunon’s judgments. Those whom Tunon finds unworthy, or guilty of breaking the law, will die. It does not matter how many soldiers or mages a guilty woman surrounds herself with – who can protect themselves from their own shadow?
Now that Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV have been released, Paradox should be revving up their marketing for this game. The team is going to be at E3 next week. Hopefully we'll finally get to see a gameplay video there.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
spoilers: actually Iron Monger
300371_10150296277817344_58690437343_8168809_2070185184_n.jpg

kazgar

Arcane
Oh dear, all those names.

I think i'd prefer random assortment of Characters or even some PoE made up language type names then the semi-punny ones we have there.

Mozg

Arcane
This is running the whole span of the fantasy genre, from Flermph Kytron of the Darktooth Bloodehills to Cartoon Network designs.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I'm getting tired of this type of "ultra-awesome" high fantasy. It's like they are constantly trying to outdo their own "ultra mega powerful" divine and/or magical stuff for no real reason.
I mean "wither the limbs of her enemies with a glance and spread plague with a touch", "able to shatter the earth with a thought"...What the fuck? Why communicate on this? Why even do it?

Borelli

Arcane
So instead of being a bureaucrat/servant/lawmaker who may or may not be a mage, you are now a supermage? And if the world has sorcerers born with great (albeit specific) powers, what is the point of classical mages anyway?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Haha, love the angry reactions. Come on kids, this whole notion is simply stolen from The Black Company.

The Dominator is an extremely powerful wizard who has the ability to turn his most bitter enemies into his loyal servants, even those nearly his equal in magic. The most potent of his victims are called the Ten Who Were Taken, or just Taken for short.

Though even Glen Cook did it in a more understated way than this summary of Awesome Powah. Plus pretty much every one of the Taken was a broken soul, utterly crushed in order to serve their master. Wonder if Obsidian will go this far. Am really wondering how far they are willing to go at all. A world where The Great Evil won? Can't imagine that to be a happy place, with room for a happy ending. I'm thinking about a fantasy North Korea type of place. With all the paranoia, corruption and suffering that entails. Will they try and tackle a subject like that in a mainstream game? I wonder.

jungl

Augur
I bet their abilities are highly exaggerated. Since this a deep dank dark setting similiar to game of thrones and a high fantasy one I'm sure a poison dart to the neck could instant gib one of these archons.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Play Myth: The Fallen Lords and its sequel if you want to know what sort of vibe they're going for here.

(Actually you should just play Myth, period)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Play Myth: The Fallen Lords and its sequel if you want to know what sort of vibe they're going for here.

(Actually you should just play Myth, period)

Way to get me all giddy. If they go that way they'd better deliver. Have they specifically said they're going for that vibe?

I bet their abilities are highly exaggerated. Since this a deep dank dark setting similiar to game of thrones and a high fantasy one I'm sure a poison dart to the neck could instant gib one of these archons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punisher_Kills_the_Marvel_Universe

Got to admit. That idea was awesome when a comic writer used it to kill every superhero he could fit into his comic.

DeepOcean

Arcane
"Okay guys, archons are superawesome dudes with superawesome powers that serve Kyros... Archon of secrets is a... creepy dude that... tortures people... eh... because torture is evil and Kyros is evil, archon of war is good at... at... let me think... war and stuff, archon of shadows is like... like... a really creepy shadow guy?" Yeah... never seen so much creativity on my life.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
HVNBWD5.gif

Just can't get interested in this game after the betrayal of PoE. Fool me once obsidian...

Zanzoken

Arcane
Spoiler alert, here is a leaked concept drawing of Kyros:

latest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom