Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Introducing No Truce With The Furies, "a story-driven isometric RPG about being a total failure"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; ZA/UM

A couple of days ago we received word of an indie RPG with the unusual name of No Truce With The Furies. The developers are a team based in Estonia, who call themselves Fortress Occident. But this game is no typical "Eastern European shovelware". In fact, it's probably very different from any RPG you've ever seen. It made a good impression on our users, and Fortress Occident's representative on our forums seems rather anxious that I post about it here, so without further ado, here is the official announcement for No Truce With The Furies:

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES is a story-driven isometric role playing game about being a total failure. An almost irreversible, unmitigated failure. Both as a human being and an officer of the law.

Find yourself in a strange and familiar new world, where you can go anywhere you want to. See that liquor store? You can go there. See that motor-carriage? You can drive it into the ocean. See that phone booth? You can call her, and make her love you again!

Or – you can take one final case and crawl back to life.

“NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES” HAS:
  • A new genre of setting developed for over 15 years in absolute secret. Neither fantasy, alternate history, nor any type of -punk, a novel set in the same world has been dubbed fantastic realism.
  • The most advanced visuals ever made for the isometric perspective. A trick of the trade we call paintshading lets us create a moving contemporary oil painting.
  • A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking, tune your nervous system with Electrochemistry, and become a disgrace to the uniform with Composure, a skill that lets you don your disco outfit to the maximum effect.
  • Writing by chronically success-impaired science fiction author Robert Kurvitz and original music by the Mercury prize winning band British Sea Power.
  • Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you’ve stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs you can’t get rid of, even if you want to.
  • Exactly one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible in a role playing video game. This is a world where even the smallest things you say matter.
Inspired by “Planescape: Torment”, “Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare” and “Kentucky Route Zero”.

“NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES” has been in development for over a year. It’s expected by the end of 2016 for PC.

We are Fortress Occident. We are 13 strong and “No Truce With The Furies” is our debut.​

As explained in the game's FAQ, No Truce With The Furies will not have turn-based combat. Nor will it have real-time combat. It's not going to have any combat "system" at all. Violent confrontations will take place in scripted dialogue sequences using relevant stats and skills (of which there are plenty). There's no Kickstarter either - it's just going to come out. How very quaint. We'll be keeping an eye on this game. For more information, you can check out its development blog, which has updates going back to January.

---

Arcane
Well, at least it's going to be an "original" product :?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the title is misspelled with one r missing.

Writing by chronically success-impaired science fiction author Robert Kurvitz

A weird attempt at self-deprecating humor, I guess?

Klarion

Arcane
anybody know more about the setting? Also, whats up with that name? What does that mean?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
anybody know more about the setting? Also, whats up with that name? What does that mean?
furry_group_pic_2_by_springdasie-d4vud26.jpg

Weasel
Sounds like something a bit different, and the dev seems suitably butthurt already which is a good sign. Will follow with interest.

v3YTQrj.jpg

Klarion

Arcane
yeah, this looks like inspired by Planescape: Torment... at least the setting... looks bizzare as fuck.

Drowed

Arcane
But will it have text-teleporting? :salute:

Looks really good. The fact that it doesn't jave any combat isn't enough to pull me away, as I think that it's better to not have any combat than have a bad/dull one.

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
anybody know more about the setting?

The setting is part of the mystery. It's a massive -- and I really do mean huge -- undertaking that we've worked on for half our lives now. We're not comfortable just spilling the beans about it in a blog post. We're looking for a way to get some information out there, so that it isn't too vague or too banal, but we haven't come up with a good idea how to do that just yet. In a way, isn't the game itself for that...

We may just do a list of things it's *not* -- would that be useful?

Is it actually about naggy, blood-hungry spirits?

Like it's *not* about that. We are very careful with "supernatural" elements. Video game / sci fi / comic book culture is flooded with them. We have this term -- extraphysics -- that we prefer. For something to be extraphysical it needs to belong to a complicated set of categories that we've developed after thinking really, really hard about supernatural story elements for... well, quite a long time now :D It basically has to be something you haven't heard of -- and would be really surprised by. Yet something you would believe is real, if you stumbled upon it on Wikipedia. We ask ourselves if we could fake a wiki article on whatever we've just come up with. And how long would it go unnoticed=

Also, let me just say -- that doesn't mean it's an alternate history. It's not our world.

why did you guys keep this under the wrap for so long?

Things have gotten pretty bad in the Kickstarter world, have they not? We knew we wouldn't get funded that way, people are too wary. With all the noise out there, you just wouldn't believe we're 4 REAL. So we thought it would be better to go to Satan's Asshole Venture Capital first, sell our souls on a dime, and get something playable out to you. We're far enough in our development cycle to start showing you our game now. From here on we'll do communication and marketing as often as we can, just as long as it doesn't distract from development.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
At this point I'm very intrigued.

you just wouldn't believe we're 4 REAL
Personally I'm not even sure I believe you now. Lots of what you tell us about the game sounds too good to be true. But if it's not yet another hoax/scam/vapourware, if you guys will really manage to pull it off, your names will forever live in the history of video gaming.

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Weird.
Everything written everywhere on that website is so vague that I cannot even form the beginning of an opinion on this. I mean some of it sounds good then I think about it it actually says nothing whatsoever and every single sentence is like this, even in some of the "dev blogs".

Really weird, but heh, why not...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's "too good to be true" about it? It's just weird and original, not something wildly insane in scope like The Mandate or whatever. Unless you're taking the "one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible" thing too seriously.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
well if you say so. will keep a close eye to this one. i hope you guys are for real because it looks really, really interesting and break the mold in a medium that is continuously getting more monotone. outreach to mainstream media when?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom