Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds Feature at Game Informer: Hype Control and Combat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Charles Staples; Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

The interview with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky that Game Informer said they would publish on Friday as part of their month-long feature on The Outer Worlds turned out to be a four minute segment from a larger interview. In that particular segment, the interviewer asked Tim and Leonard whether they thought The Outer Worlds could live up to fan expectations. They did their best to tamp down the excessive hype surrounding the game, once again reiterating that it's not an open world title and that it may in fact be slightly smaller than Knights of the Old Republic 2. That wasn't too interesting, so we waited for Monday to see the exclusive new gameplay footage that Game Informer promised. It's a reel of various combat scenes, part of a segment about the game's combat featuring Tim and lead designer Charlie Staples. There are detail about the combat system's design goals, companions, weapons and special abilities. The combat is nothing special, but it seems a bit tighter than what we saw back in December. So here are both videos, now uploaded to YouTube:

It looks like there are going to be plenty more of these micro-interview segments. We'll post about them when they're interesting. Hopefully there'll be some more gameplay footage too.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Charles Staples btw. has now been at Obsidian for 12! years. In his career at Obsidian he has worked as a designer on Alpha Protocol, as the area design lead on Fallout: New Vegas as well as its DLC's and as Lead Level Designer on South Park. After that he got lost on Armored Warfare.

Which is why its nice to see him for once.

Quatlo

Arcane
ok i wonder if it will be possible to disable that slowmotion shoot cam sequence

just don't use it !?
Thats how we ended up with quest compasses. Because you can just disable it, but what if a game system is designed around that just disabled feature?
10 years in the future and every kill in an FPS game will be some retardo GLORY KILL iteration that kills the game flow.
In shitstain FO4 you HAVE to use VATS to have critical hits, what if here we end up with some inane bullshit aswell? They say that you have to use that retardo bullet time to inflict bonus status effects on enemies, so I can already see half of the character progression being cluttered with bonuses for that crappy feature.
"5% chance each attack to inflict instant glory kill epic cam on mook enemy, turns into a crit on bosses"

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am so not a fan of that almost borderlandsesque art style, all that's missing is cell shading, ugh

Still looking forward to the game, but would definitely prefer something more realistic looking and less cartoony. God I hate the cartoony artstyles. Such infection.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
From what I've been reading lately, they are starting to downplay the expectations, I think they have doubts about the quality and they fear a huge backslash against the brand

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I do not think that this hype control is caused by doubts about the quality. It is more like that they just want to stress that it is not an open-world bethesda style RPG.

Trashos

Arcane
From what I've been reading lately, they are starting to downplay the expectations, I think they have doubts about the quality and they fear a huge backslash against the brand

Not necessarily. I think they are probably worried about the comparisons to New Vegas. Which they should be. For one, New Vegas is a huge game (hours of play) and it is open-world. Outer Worlds is neither.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Not necessarily. I think they are probably worried about the comparisons to New Vegas. Which they should be. For one, New Vegas is a huge game (hours of play) and it is open-world. Outer Worlds is neither.

Well they are in for a world of hurt, the Youtube/media hype train seems to be pushing this as the new Fallout (Bethesda style obviously), and considering the utter failure of F76 there is a lot of misplaced expectation channeling into this project atm.

And the Borderlands/Fortnite art/presentation is another warning sign. To me it looks like a Bards Tale 4 style of design philosophy: lets try and appeal to all the nu/casual gamers but at the same time we are making it for you oldschool gamers. To be fair I am not really following this thing as I just dont care that much, so this is an opinion just on my superficial observations.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Awesome - hope they release more interviews.

Glad to have the slow-down, realize I suck at shooters now from trying out STALKER recently (been only playing RPGs since my teens).

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

At least now they know what their next game should be: open-world RPG.

imweasel

Limited budget is limited. The game could use some Microsoft bucks, but they still haven't stepped in to cut a deal with Take-Two.

Can we just change the name of this website to RPG Outer World Codex, already??
C'mon, be a pal Infinitron
:codexisfor:
If it was up to Infintron he'd have renamed the Codex to The Church of Obsidian long ago.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems they want to temper expectations by stressing that OW is not going to be an open world game but more of the KOTOR or Witcher 2 style of limited areas... they are still reaping the benefits of the Fallout 76 fiasco
I honestly hope they have a hit in their hands, really love New Vegas and would enjoy Bethesda getting exposed like the people who ruined the Fallout brand

selkin

Liturgist

Lovely. But they are so PC. Anyway this was the good answer.

Edit:
also I think any game that let you wonder around between locations is open world.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think all open world games are sandbox games. The difference is the map size won't make a game open world.

For instance Baldur's Gate was "closed world", because between locations there was nothing except some random boring shit encounters.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For instance Baldur's Gate was "closed world", because between locations there was nothing except some random boring shit encounters.
Baldur's Gate was open world with loading screens. Most of it connects to a reasonable degree.

selkin

Liturgist
Baldur's Gate was open world with loading screens. Most of it connects to a reasonable degree.
So what's "closed world"? What do Cain and Boyarsky mean when they say OW is not going to be open world?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom