Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds Feature at Game Informer: Art, Companions and Tone

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Carrie Patel; Leonard Boyarsky; Megan Starks; Nitai Poddar; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

Time for a roundup of the rest of this week's The Outer Worlds features at Game Informer. On Wednesday there was an article about the game's visuals, offering a glimpse at some of its concept art, character models, and most notably, loading screens inspired by Arcanum's famous newspapers. On Thursday there was an article about the game's companions that introduces three of them - Ellie the easygoing mercenary pirate and Felix the brash young rebel-without-a-cause, both of whom we also saw in December's gameplay video, as well as Parvati, a naive mechanic. Finally, on Friday there was a surprisingly extensive interview with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky about the game's comedic tone. Tim and Leonard's goal is to have a good balance between comedy and seriousness, and apparently they're exercising a good deal of oversight to make sure the writing team gets it right. The video of the interview was uploaded to YouTube today:

So that was the third week of Game Informer's Outer Worlds bonanza. One more week to go.

Space Nugget

Cutest gay couple ever. :love:

1280px-Fallout_20_year_reunion_dinner.jpg

Jason, you are sorely missed. :cry:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is a big difference between the low Int gameplay in Fallouts and this iteration which is actually just stupid.

A dumb character in Fallout, even if not being able to form sentences correctly, most of the time reacted properly and seemed to understand the crux of the problem in the style of idiot savant - forest gump type of character.
In this case, the sentences you get as dialogue options are just stupid.

And thats not funny at all.

Tigranes

Arcane
There's no big statement that the game is super-grimdark or super-funny. I don't think that's what they're gunning for, just seems like they're trying to do what seems nicely mixed (trying being the operative word).

Random imprecise quotes:
"It's gotta be situational [...] it needs to come from the story you're telling [...] not just writing funny things for the sake of being funny, [it needs to] explain something about the character, the world..."

"I want them to avoid inside jokes [...] some of our jokes are visual references (like from a movie) [...]

"Your character is situationally unaware [...] things that the player is getting, your character is not."
"[The dumb character is] very dense, doesn't understand social situations, doesn't understand some words [...] tries to make it seem like they understand more than they do...

So not necessarily a guy that has an actual language disorder, but that they might be a more credulous and thick-headed type. I'm OK with either - what matters is the execution, and how other characters respond to the Chosen One being a "hey guys these Scientology guys are real nice to us!" type.

7hIc9QLl.png

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I never said anything about game aiming to be completely grim dark or completely funny...
Why is it that in every fucking other post on codex i have to clarify i didnt say something at all?
This is a rhetorical question.

In any case, there is a clear difference between two implementations.
In Fallouts it was funny and interesting, here its just stupid - according to what weve seen so far. If it remains that way its going to end up being dull, tiresome, and annoying.

Tigranes

Arcane
I never said anything about game aiming to be completely grim dark or completely funny...
Why is it that in every fucking other post on codex i have to clarify i didnt say something at all?
This is a rhetorical question.

In any case, there is a clear difference between two implementations.
In Fallouts it was funny and interesting, here its just stupid - according to what weve seen so far. If it remains that way its going to end up being dull, tiresome, and annoying.

I wasn't talking to you, don't worry.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There is a big difference between the low Int gameplay in Fallouts and this iteration which is actually just stupid.

A dumb character in Fallout, even if not being able to form sentences correctly, most of the time reacted properly and seemed to understand the crux of the problem in the style of idiot savant - forest gump type of character.
In this case, the sentences you get as dialogue options are just stupid.

And thats not funny at all.

Sorry what? When does that happen in Fallout? Also low intelligence dialouge in Fallout were 99% simple grunts adding no indication either way with the humor developing over the NPC's reactions.

As the master himself says

additionally

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Duraframe300
OK, maybe it was a bit more involved in fallout 2, and i dont mean that as if the dumb character understand everything fully, rather the general gist of the situation.
Also, those seem like selected examples of the worst dumb dialogue. And its still not like the stupid options here.

Jezal_k23

I think those are enough examples to conclude your dumb character is not really aware of what is happening around him.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Man, I'm so hyped after watching this. I love those people.

Send Josh back to webmastering and let them direct everything from now on!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom