Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines 2 Clan Introduction - Malkavian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Hardsuit Labs; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Many people doubted that the mad Malkavians would be playable in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 because of the effort required to write entirely different dialogue for them, but in the final clan reveal stream today, Brian Mitsoda himself showed up to confirm them as the game's sixth playable clan. The exclusive early reveal this time was at Rock Paper Shotgun, who interviewed Brian about his plans for implementing the Malkavians. The plan is for them to work like their counterparts in the first Bloodlines, a different gameplay experience with unique dialogue, but they will also be darker and less purely hilarious. As for abilities, the Malkavians of Bloodlines 2 will have the power to scare their enemies into fleeing or even make them go berserk, which they can do without violating the Masquerade. They also have clairvoyance abilities, a discipline they share with the Tremere. As usual, the full details are available on the new page on the game's official website and the clan reveal trailer ends with a brief glimpse of these powers in action:

MALKAVIAN

Malkavians have been traditionally ostracized by the Seattle Kindred. While a few managed to claim territory in less desirable districts, very few have ever managed to rise to the levels of the other clans. Because of this, there is a persistent bias against the Malkavian clan that still exists into modern nights.

None of the many nicknames for Clan Malkav - "Lunatics", "Jesters", "Visionaries", "Madmen", and so on - is as fitting as "Oracles". To be of the Clan is to understand things nobody else does; and to be affected by that understanding. Among the clan, this shows itself in psychosis, depression, compulsive disorders, or uncounted other mental illnesses. This hasn't kept the Clan of the Moon from finding a place in Kindred society. Advisers, strategists, preachers, hunters and yes, rulers; all Malkavians walk their very own path.

NEVER-ENDING, NEVER ALONE

Unease, curiosity, distrust, pity; the Clan of the Moon elicits many reactions. Still, no vampire sees more than a Malkavian. Players who choose to join their ranks gain access to the secrets of two new Disciplines on top of the individual powers from their Thinblooded past.

DEMENTATION

All Malkavians see further than a mortal could. No Malkavian is left untouched by what they see. Their signature Discipline allows the clan’s members to impart an imperfect version of their psychosis on others, with often drastic results.

• Haunt (Blood Cost: 2), the first active Dementation power, imparts an unseen spectre in the victims’ minds. Unable to control themselves, they’ll try to flee in a panic. The • • and • • • • • slots upgrade Haunt.

• • • Berserk (Blood Cost: 4), the second active power, fills the vampire’s targets with an uncontrollable rage, causing them to lash out at anything nearby - even the air itself, if no better target is available. The • • • • and • • • • • slots enhance Berserk.

Use of Dementation, while thoroughly unsettling, is not a Masquerade Violation.

AUSPEX

Nothing stays hidden to those who gain the Discipline of Auspex. Their senses expanding beyond the boundaries of their bodies, these Kindred slip ever deeper into their condition.

• Aura Sense (Blood Cost: 2), Auspex’ first active, makes the vampire spot NPCs even through walls, read crowds at a glance, and mark individuals, staying aware of them even over long distances. It also reveals the weaknesses in the marked NPC’s attack and defense. The • • and • • • • • slots enhance Aura Sense.

• • • Psychic Projection (Blood Cost: 2), the second active, forces the vampire’s mind from their body. Untethered, they will explore the area in astral form, remaining free to use Aura Sight to mark any character they spot. Even more: The vampire’s own senses have developed to such an extent that they may end up telepathically overwhelming the senses of others for a short while. The • • • • slot enhances Psychic Projection.

Use of Auspex is not a Masquerade Violation.

As expected, with all six clans revealed the next step is to finally unveil some real gameplay footage. According to the stream that'll happen on June 10th, which is probably not coincidentally the date of this year's PC Gaming Show at E3. It looks like it's going to be a pretty crazy E3 for RPGs this year.

Outmind

Augur
Color me pleasantly surprised.

That means it's likely the Nossies are out. I mean, it could also be Gangrel since they were always the least vampire-like of the core camarilla. Then again, I'd be royally pissed if they don't make it in on account of the B-movie horror rejects since Gangrel are so badass.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That means it's likely the Nossies are out. I mean, it could also be Gangrel since they were always the least vampire-like of the core camarilla. Then again, I'd be royally pissed if they don't make it in on account of the B-movie horror rejects since Gangrel are so badass.

This is the last clan that will be part of the game on launch.

But it seems likely to me that the rest of the clans from the first Bloodlines (meaning Nosferatu and Gangrel) will be added to the game later as free updates.

Outmind

Augur

This is the last clan that will be part of the game on launch.

But it seems likely to me that the rest of the clans from the first Bloodlines (meaning Nosferatu and Gangrel) will be added to the game later as free updates.

Why do I keep thinking that there'll be 5 clans + thinbloods...?

Well that sucks.

Delterius

Arcane
will you be able to play as midget? enchantment gnome is just what Delterius wants needs
I must correct you brother: gnomes are illusionists and that is precisely 83% of the reason why I hate them.
what kind of illusionist gets out of character
when gnomes take over the most respectable art
Color me pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure Gangrel are in. New clans are coming for free and the expansion is called Season of the Wolf. It might even focus on Gangrel and Wolfies at the same time. Who knows~

Psychic Projection sounds like a leap of a stretch; an excuse to put in one of the modern action game abilities, obbviously. I have increasingly little faith in this game. Deus Ex / Dishonored clone with a Vampire make up. I am being boring, though, repeating myself.

A Sherlock Holmes type mystery adventure wih a Vampire make-up would likely be more of a VtM game. When was the last time I even played a long game? Action in games are increasingly insufferable. There is more to life than grind and grind-enhancing abilities. Am I gettig old or what?

Last edited:

hexer

OK, what about Banu Haqim, Ministry, Giovanni, Lasombra, Ravnos, Tzimisce?

They're NPC clans or not in the game at all?

Sacibengala

Prophet
These bullshit trailers are working? I am ignoring all of this nonsense until some real gameplay are showed. Until then, nothing else matters.

Infantry

Educated
All things considered and assuming the purpose was only to illustrate the "vibe" of Malkavian (i.e., not game-play or game-content), this was not a bad teaser video. The previous two clan teasers were far less inspiring.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Looked banal. VTM Malkavian kept you often in the wtf mode. Here is some dude explaining what madness is in a voice reminding me of Joker. The Malkavian video should not be like any other video, if you're following same narrative you already didn't do it right. Like malk video should have been silent video or just something else.

Well whatever waiting to see actual gameplay except of running and jumping.

The heart of VTM was the dialogue. Need to see some.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom