Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2019

Comrades, welcome to the RPG Codex 2019 GOTY Award!

This year we had 949 voters, who rated 62 releases from 2019. This is almost half of the 114 RPGs of 2018, as it was definitely a slower year. Hope you managed to clean your backlog, because 2020 looks overwhelming.

Once again we had three categories: Game of the Year, Best Expansion/DLC and Best PC Port/Remaster.

For those of you who just want the TL;DR, here are the winners:

Game of the Year
1st - Disco Elysium
2nd - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
3rd - Slay the Spire

Best Remake/Port
Romancing SaGa 3

Best DLC/Expansion
Underrail: Expedition

For the full results and fancy graphs, just follow the link below.

Read the full article: RPG Codex GOTY 2019: Results & Cool Graphs

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
50% for the Outer Worlds to trully mark down its mediocrity.

On a slightly more serious note: I am playing Titan Outpost right now, and I am having fun. I couldn't vote for it, but I'm happy there were those that did. Well done, bros. Good title.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Thank-you for the time it took you to put this together but I also wanted to take a moment to talk to you as a fan and long-time member of this website okay? Okay.

Long ago when I joined you needed an account to participate in the Game of the Year Awards and despite being new at the time, I was allowed to vote and give my feedback on the games I had played. After it was done, I could look at everyone else and see what they too, voted on.

The last two Game of the Year Awards has put the voting off site and also not been locked into an account. Granted I was still allowed to vote when I first joined and at least it was tied to my RPG Codex account, I hope future Game of the Year Awards are presented not only via registered accounts, but also accounts that have been around for some time.

I have no ill will toward the game which won, or how others did against it. I honestly feel that by only allowing registered Codex accounts of a year or more of registration to participate, does it offer a more refined focus on the type of games our community enjoys playing.

EDIT: Gosh! At least Obsidian continue to knock them out year after year in the top standings. That's my boys!

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IIRC a lot of Codexers enjoyed Igavanias so this is no surprise to me, considering how little CRPGs came out this year.

2020 seems to be a year of glut full potentials. Let's hope we get something.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Hi.

Thank-you for the time it took you to put this together but I also wanted to take a moment to talk to you as a fan and long-time member of this website okay? Okay.

Long ago when I joined you needed an account to participate in the Game of the Year Awards and despite being new at the time, I was allowed to vote and give my feedback on the games I had played. After it was done, I could look at everyone else and see what they too, voted on.

The last two Game of the Year Awards has put the voting off site and also not been locked into an account. Granted I was still allowed to vote when I first joined and at least it was tied to my RPG Codex account, I hope future Game of the Year Awards are presented not only via registered accounts, but also accounts that have been around for some time.

I have no ill will toward the game which won, or how others did against it. I honestly feel that by only allowing registered Codex accounts of a year or more of registration to participate, does it offer a more refined focus on the type of games our community enjoys playing.

Thanks,
Sherry

Agreed, that way I can really utilize all my alt accounts for the highest impact

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If we get another butthurt war in 2020 I might need to change the voting system.

Depends on the devs. If they keep pushing communist visual novels then yes, there will be more butthurt. It's the combination of not being an RPG (and trying to appropriate the genre) plus the political claptrap that makes DE such a perfect storm of anti-RPG wrongness.

We already know Sawyer is completely infatuated with DE and is working on his DE-clone, and there will surely be many more to come; people don't understand just how legitimately dangerous shit like DE is to our hobby. I can very well see a grim future where people think combat and gameplay in RPGs is "optional", and that any story that doesn't have 'political undercurrents' is not sophisticated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom