Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Outer Worlds Documentary by Noclip - Part Five: The Complexity of Player Choice

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Charles Staples; Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

Noclip have uploaded the final episode of their documentary about The Outer Worlds. Despite the fancy title, what this episode is really about is character builds and combat. It offers a certain insight into how the game evolved over the course of its development. When The Outer Worlds was announced, Tim Cain spoke about how in addition to the classic trio of combat, dialogue and stealth, the game would support a fourth "leadership" playstyle. It turns out that as development progressed, Tim realized that leadership didn't really work as its own independent playstyle and instead was more like a variant of the other three. It seems he became interested in other playstyle hybrids and so the holographic shroud disguise mechanic was implemented to support stealth-dialogue characters.

As for combat, it turns out that the special companion abilities were originally intended to have been performed by the player character. They were transferred to the companions after the Tactical Time Dilation mechanic was implemented. TTD itself was closer to a VATS clone at one point, locking on to an enemy and prompting the player to select a location to fire at. Obsidian also experimented with allowing players to knock enemies unconscious, but it was too much work to implement properly. Besides all that, the episode also discusses topics such as encounter design and the game's unique science weapons.

So that's the end of that. The documentary was at its most interesting when it delved into cut content and the history of the game's development. There's probably a lot more we could learn about that. Noclip plan to release a sixth video with bonus material, but it's for Patreon backers only.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I used to think that people here saying you're an Obsidian shill were overreacting but now it is obvious that you're the shill of shills. Literary no one gives a fuck about this pretentious abomination and you constantly spamming about this shit. There is no future for this shit game, deal with it and move on with your life.

Last edited:

Dr Schultz

Augur
I used to think that people here saying you're an Obsidian shill were overreacting but now it is obvious that you're the shill of shills. Literary no one gives a fuck about this pretentious abomination and you constantly spamming about this shit. There is no future for this shit game, deal with it and move on with your life.

In February TOW surpassed 2M copies sold. It's the most successful Obsidian game since Fallout: NV. I personally don't give a fuck about this game, but someone clearly does... Believe it or not, a sequel is a sure thing

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not about The Outer Worlds. I will post any high production value documentary about an RPG from Obsidian, Larian, inXile, etc. There aren't many of them. There was that one about Divinity: Original Sin 2 from Gameumentary back in 2018, and now this.

I was going to make a pity post on one of these other Outer Limits features with zero comments, but couldn't be bothered. It seems Infinitron is already on top of it though.

tindrli

Arcane

In February TOW surpassed 2M copies sold. It's the most successful Obsidian game since Fallout: NV. I personally don't give a fuck about this game, but someone clearly does... Believe it or not, a sequel is a sure thing
well lets hope they dont screw it next time

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
"high production value"

This is where we are right now. Disgusting. Lone youtubers create better rpg videogame content than this garbage. And yes it will get a sequel, lot's of demented self important spoiled little shits out there that need a parvatti to validate their mental illness.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Obsidian, Larian, inXile
These studios suck, and there are other, genuinely good development teams that do not get attention (e.g. Freehold Games).

Prioritizing awful studios that once promised to deliver 90s-era-quality games, and have since then consistently failed to deliver even halfway decent games, indicates bad priorities imo.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Prioritizing awful studios that once promised to deliver 90s-era-quality games, and have since then consistently failed to deliver even halfway decent games, indicates bad priorities imo.

I think it indicated money one way or another - be it money paid by those studios or those guys villigly chose them as documentary about devs that are always at the hearing (right frasing? mean often remmebered/discussed) because that brings money.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
This game, and the documentary pretty much prove that the general game audience is brain dead. Virtue signalling and delusional empty praises about the game's supposed content mean more than the actual product, even when it's virtually devoid of quality in pretty much every regard. Lackluster mashup of generic visuals snatched from other titles, setting that makes no sense whatsoever, piss poor itemization & character progression nipping exploration in the bud, and a bunch of paper thin characters delivering cliched fetch quests through uninspired dialogue. The soylent green of cRPG.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Up to this point i played every rpg obsidian made, hell i even figstarted poe2, but this time i had 0 wish to play TOU.
Will probably get it on GoG when it hits the bargain bin obsidian edition.

JDR13

Arcane
edgelords-edgelords-everywhere-985269.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom