Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gas Powered Games interview at QuakeSkills

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege

There's an <A href="http://www.quakeskills.com/articles/comments.php?id=816482406">interview</a> over at <A href="http://www.quakeskills.com/">QuakeSkills</a> with various members of <a href="http://www.gaspoweredgames.com/">Gas Powered Games</a>, including <b>Chris Taylor</b>, about various things they've done. Here's one small bit about <a href="http://www.dungeonsiege.com/">Dungeon Siege</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>QS: Did you have Dungeon Siege in mind when forming Gas Powered Games?</b>
<br>
<br>
Taylor: We didn't have a name, but we knew we wanted to make an action/RPG in a 3D world. We wanted to innovate on the interface, like we did on TA, in terms of controlling your party. Also, we wanted a continuous world with no loading screens. I think we've established that, and now we'll build upon it. We haven't officially announced anything yet, but we intend to continue that style of game design - taking existing systems of gameplay and pushing them to make them more playable and accessible. No need for a manual or a steep learning curve, which I think is the key to a great game.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Think harder next time, <b>Chris</b>. People didn't fall in love with Total Annihilation because it played itself.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</a>.

Psilon

Erudite
"And you pulled [balancing play styles] off while not watering the game down." Yeah. Right. Gotta love that mindless adulation there.

Mesc A. Lyn

Novice
God I Hate that game :x ...........Quake is more of an RPG :wink:

The gameplay felt like I was rearranging the icons on my desktop..... or maybe playing dress-up with dollies :roll:

Section8

Cipher
My definition of Accessible: A wide range of players are easily taught how to play the game during it's early stages or tutorials.

Fake Chris Taylor's definition of accessible: Players don't need to know how to play the game because it does that itself.

dunduks

Liturgist
I dont get it, why do you hate that game so much, while it was indeed very linear and easy (and sometimes boring), CT never promised more than he delivered -nice engine, kewl effex0rz, easy to use interface and of course pack mules :) .
Ok, I know I'm gonna be bashed for this :roll:

huh

Novice
dunduks said:
I dont get it, why do you hate that game so much, while it was indeed very linear and easy (and sometimes boring), CT never promised more than he delivered -nice engine, kewl effex0rz, easy to use interface and of course pack mules :) .

ok this is a good point, but, that's like saying "he promised crap and he delivered crap". promising crap is still no excuse for making it in the first place.

concentrating 100% on 'kewl grafiks' and f'kin pack mules (they were like the central selling point) in a ROLE PLAYING GAME means the developer has no effing clue of what the genre is about and is actually harming it by diluting it with crap.

since it sold reasonably well and won some goofy press awards means it's ok to make crappy RPGs. and it just bites.

Jarinor

Liturgist
One of my numerous pet hates is marketing a product as something it's not. Actions RPG's shouldn't even have RPG's in the genre title, they should just be third person action games.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
dunduks said:

I think it's because games shouldn't be boring. There was so little to the gameplay that it just didn't offer much to the player at all. As stated several times, there's two big things that make most "action RPGs" interesting, the combat and the progression of your character. Both of those were done for the player in Dungeon Siege, leaving only walking around as the only source of interaction through the vast majority of the game.

Even calling this a game in the first place is overstating what it is.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Hi there.

FIrst off, I want to thank you all for taking the time to read my interview with Chris Taylor and co. Second, I'd like to also thank you for being honest in your comments thus far. I'd like to address some of your feedback at this time.

Saint_Proverbius: "Think harder next time, Chris. People didn't fall in love with Total Annihilation because it played itself. "

Chris already admitted that while Dungeon Siege was a commercial success to the general public, some RPG/RTS hardcore fans have complained about his design decisions. It's understandable that different people have different standards by which they judge the value of a game.

From the article:
QS: One of the things I noticed about Dungeon Siege was the perfect balancing of RTS and action gameplay styles. If your party encounters a threat, you can either micromanage character actions, or you can let them do their thing and fight on their own, similar in a way to the Sims where you can control a character, or let them perform at their will. And the fact that the action is graduated and the game teaches you how to play as you go, it was a sign of fantastic design in my opinion.

Taylor: I appreciate that. I don't get that a lot - people talking about the dichotomy of the two play styles and how we tried to set it up to appeal to the widest possible audience.

QS: And you pulled it off while not watering the game down. You didn't try to do too many things to cater in one direction and sacrifice gameplay as a result.

Taylor: Some people have criticized us of that, but those are the hardcore gamers - the people who love to micromanage things. What we tried to do was appeal to all nationalities and market to the Asia-Pacific rim, to Europe, the US. To sell to men and women, young kids (we had to change some things to get a Teen rating) as well as appeal to people who are older and just want to sit back and have fun. So we really wanted to make a game that appealed to a wide audience, because that's what determines the success of a game. For example, look at the Sims or Rollercoaster Tycoon. Any game that expects to sell 2, 3, or 4 million units has to appeal to a wide variety of people. I mean, how can you feel bad if you entertain millions of people? That's what keeps us in business. If you cater to a niche audience, you have to cut the team size down, work more hours...the economics of business are really tough. But I don't really want to delve into that too much (laughing), so I'll just answer your questions!

Personally, I think micromanagement and "button pushing" is boring, so for me, I rather enjoyed the autopilot nature of the game. If you were to play a D&D dice game, the fighting is by chance and based on statistics. Here, the computer just rolls the dice for you.

Spazmo: "Funny that a Quake-related site should interview the creator of an "RPG".

Um, if you think that all I do all day long is play, think, and write about Quake 3, you're sorely mistaken. I rarely play Q3. My function at that site is to write articles about other games, which I find more interesting than talking about the same shooter day in and day out. Any game that lets you assume the role of a character is technically an RPG, whether or not the interface, graphics, and storyline are bogged down with micromanagement and faux history.

Psilon: "And you pulled [balancing play styles] off while not watering the game down." Yeah. Right. Gotta love that mindless adulation there."

I forgot to mention the hand-job he gave me after the tape recorder got turned off. Just kidding.

A few things here. Taylor has been making and designing games for longer than some of you have probably been alive. I respect him, whether or not his games fit my, or anyone else's definition of what a game should be like. I could not, in good conscience, sit in the man's office and insult him, just because some people disagree with what he feels is a good balance between genres. Again, it's a matter of opinion. I prefer the "action RPG" to the hardcore style. I simply don't have the time to get involved with the more intense ones, good as they may be. I'm sure, as you've mentioned here, that you have a different system of gauging good design. In other words, I respect the guy - he's made more games than I have, and all of you put together.

Mesc A. Lyn: God I Hate that game ...........Quake is more of an RPG

The gameplay felt like I was rearranging the icons on my desktop..... or maybe playing dress-up with dollies "

Give me an example of what you consider a "good" RPG. I'm curious. And no, Quake is nothing like an RPG.

Section 8: My definition of Accessible: A wide range of players are easily taught how to play the game during it's early stages or tutorials.

Fake Chris Taylor's definition of accessible: Players don't need to know how to play the game because it does that itself."

It is possible to die by not learning the play mechanics, so while you may feel that the game plays itself, it really doesn't. But yes, it's definitely simpler to get immersed in for the average gamer. It's nothing what you might consider hardcore.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not an authority on the myriads of RPG or RTS games out there, other than brief exposure to a few games. I do know a thing or two about design from working in software development and quality assurance, as well as reading up on theory.

Designing a game to a niche audience, while noble in the fact that risks and independent decisions are made in sacrifice to marketing, the fact remains that you will sell to a smaller audience. There simply is no way that he could pay his staff for years of development costs if they did not sell many copies. What's my point? Like Chris said, he wanted to market to all types of players. Sure, the more experienced and educated RPG fans would be turned off, but the majority of Wal-Mart moms picking up games for their kids would not, so the sacrifice was made. Why do you think the Sims is the best selling game of all time? And no, I don't play the Sims, so please don't go there.

Again, I want to thank all of you for reading and commenting on the article. If you have an article or review that you feel more accurately represents the feelings of the hardcore RPG community, I'd love to read it, and perhaps post it on our site (credits of course would go to the author, not me). Quakeskills is a small, but growing family of people who like to write about games, so don't be shy.

And next time, please post your feedback at the end of the article if you'd like to inform either Mr. Taylor, or myself, of what others in the community have on their mind. Just try to be a little more polite.

Have a good one.

bossjimbob

Jarinor

Liturgist
Any game that lets you assume the role of a character is technically an RPG, whether or not the interface, graphics, and storyline are bogged down with micromanagement and faux history.

What utter crap. Assuming the role of a person in a game doesn't make it an RPG. That would classify every single first person shooter an RPG, when in most of them you can't even choose what you say. Likewise, it's not as simple as "It has stats, therefore it is an RPG". An RPG is an RPG because you can control every single thing about that character, from strength, to weapon choice, to dialogue choice, everything. Action RPG's aren't RPG's, because in most of them there isn't really much dialogue, story, sidequests, intrigue etc.

That's my opinion at least. Others here might be able to provide a better one, or have a refined version of mine.

Give me an example of what you consider a "good" RPG.

Hmm, let's see...Fallout, Fallout 2 (it wasn't ALL bad), Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, Arcanum...you know, there's quite a few out there, and most people wouldn't include Dungeon Siege.

And no, Quake is nothing like an RPG.

Before you just said that any game which allows you to assume the role of a character is technically an RPG. Quale let's you assume the role of a character, so it should be an RPG, according to your theory. Yet, you contradict yourself here...

huh

Novice
bossjimbob,

it's like if someone was trying to sell an FPS shooter with turn based combat, and where you frag people by rolling dice, and adjusting domsetic policy sliders. hey, the world could use an accessible FPS where you don't need reflexes, quick thinking, or any skill.

it'd be kinda weird and confuse the heck out of everyone, don't you think? most people would say "these developers don't know what they are doing." becuase FPSs are all about adrenaline rush, fast team tactics, and fast paced multiplayer action. that's why people play them.

furthermore, RPGs are also a separate genre with its own rules, conventions and design goals. saying that "an RPG is every game where you play a role" is the same as saying "every game with a plane in it is a flight simulator". Minesweeper could be called an RPG then, 'cause you assume the role of a..., well... a minesweeper (wth that is).

RPGs need to have a believable and consistent world with intrigue, plots and characters. RPGs need to give the player as much control of his own destiny as possible beginning with picking stats and ending with siding with factions. there is much more, but RPGs are one heck of a lot of trouble to do properly (that's prolly why we see them so rarely). RPGs need to have meaningful conflict by resolving which the player shapes his character. RPGs also need to have enough challenge from the beginning of adventure to the end.

CT may be a great RTS designer and a beautiful human being, but the way he talked about his RPG 'visions' made an impression that that's just not his thing.

I'll give one thing to Dungeon Siege though, snowflakes were full 3D (or, so it seemed - been a while)!

Araanor

Liturgist
bossjimbob,

It seems like you do not understand what's wrong with Dungeon Siege.

Imagine Quake (any incarnation), give everyone all weapons and unlimited ammo and give everyone aimbot. What do we have left? Running around. You loose practically all interaction. No interaction, no gameplay. Micro-management? How about any management at all?

While Dungeon Siege had some interaction, there wasn't much of it. Fall back some distance because you're fighting too many monsters at a time, switch between one spell to another, there's not much more than this. It's awfully repetitive at that. Even the cozy surroundings won't be enough to keep you going after a while.

I wouldn't call Diablo 1/2 RPGs, but they're more RPG than Dungeon Siege, you actually get to do something.

It seems like Chris Taylor doesn't understand this yet either, he can do any kind of games he wants, but if he can't see the flaws in them I don't have much hopes for any future games of his.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
bossjimbob said:
Chris already admitted that while Dungeon Siege was a commercial success to the general public, some RPG/RTS hardcore fans have complained about his design decisions. It's understandable that different people have different standards by which they judge the value of a game.

It sold well, but that's only a good test of success for the bean counters. Black & White sold really well, too, but a lot of people hated that game. The same thing with Dungeon Siege because of it's lack of interactivity. I remember checking the comments from gamers on various sites about this title. The one thing I saw was a lot of priase the first week it was out, then there was a lot of criticism about how dull the game was after that.

Commercial successs to the general public is only a truly good thing if people actually liked the title if you intend to make more than just that one title. If it sells well, but the majority of people didn't like it, or thought it was dull and boring, that means you certainly can't make an expansion pack because there's no interest there. It also means that if there's a sequel, you're going to have to sell it based on fixing what everyone didn't like about it rather than going the More Of The Same route.

Personally, I think micromanagement and "button pushing" is boring, so for me, I rather enjoyed the autopilot nature of the game. If you were to play a D&D dice game, the fighting is by chance and based on statistics. Here, the computer just rolls the dice for you.

You want some irony? Chris Taylor once said he doesn't believe in cut scenes because if he wanted to watch something, he'd put in a DVD instead of a game.

But really, other than walking around, Dungeon Siege is just one big cut scene called a game. So, that begs the question, would Chris Taylor rather just watch a DVD than play his game?

Um, if you think that all I do all day long is play, think, and write about Quake 3, you're sorely mistaken. I rarely play Q3. My function at that site is to write articles about other games, which I find more interesting than talking about the same shooter day in and day out. Any game that lets you assume the role of a character is technically an RPG, whether or not the interface, graphics, and storyline are bogged down with micromanagement and faux history.

Incorrect. That's the poor man's definition of an "RPG". Instead, an RPG is a game that allows you to play a role in a manner you chose to play it, taking the path based on how you see your character through the world. Dungeon Siege certainly doesn't fit that definition because it's barely even a game, and the computer plays it for you.

A few things here. Taylor has been making and designing games for longer than some of you have probably been alive.

Isn't he the same age as John Romero? Let's use the same argument with John Romero then!

Furthermore, Peter Molynoux has been designing games much longer than Chris Taylor, but that didn't stop him from making Black & White. Ron Gilbert's been designing games longer than Chris Taylor as well, but that didn't stop him from screwing up Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. Richard Garriot's been doing Ultima games longer than Chris Taylor's been doing games, and there's Ultima 9 to chew on.

Need me to continue?

Give me an example of what you consider a "good" RPG. I'm curious. And no, Quake is nothing like an RPG.

Here's the part where I throw your definition of an RPG back in your face!

In Quake, you assume the role of a space marine battling the various forces of Shub all over the slipgate network, so by your definition, it's an RPG.

See the problem with your definition now?

It is possible to die by not learning the play mechanics, so while you may feel that the game plays itself, it really doesn't. But yes, it's definitely simpler to get immersed in for the average gamer. It's nothing what you might consider hardcore.

It's only possible to die if you don't watch your health bar and don't hit that DRINK TEH HEALTH button when it gets low. Hitting one button every now and then isn't exactly marvelous game play. It's fairly on par with Whack-A-Mole, only Whack-A-Mole provides a challenge because you don't know which mole to whack until it pops up, and there's nine of them.

You're talking about crack addict rat mechanics here. Even a rat knows to hit that one button to get the pellet of crack when he needs his fix.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not an authority on the myriads of RPG or RTS games out there, other than brief exposure to a few games. I do know a thing or two about design from working in software development and quality assurance, as well as reading up on theory.

Perhaps it's time to hit the books again.

Designing a game to a niche audience, while noble in the fact that risks and independent decisions are made in sacrifice to marketing, the fact remains that you will sell to a smaller audience. There simply is no way that he could pay his staff for years of development costs if they did not sell many copies. What's my point? Like Chris said, he wanted to market to all types of players. Sure, the more experienced and educated RPG fans would be turned off, but the majority of Wal-Mart moms picking up games for their kids would not, so the sacrifice was made. Why do you think the Sims is the best selling game of all time? And no, I don't play the Sims, so please don't go there.

Probably because The Sims is actually an involving game. There's lots and lots of options to do in that game, depending on your career choice, what food to pick, managing your money, building a house, furnishing the house, and so on. You're defending a game with only four ways of playing it where the computer does all the fun stuff for you with a game that has thousands of choices about nearly everything and then asking "why?" It's rather silly, don't you think?

And next time, please post your feedback at the end of the article if you'd like to inform either Mr. Taylor, or myself, of what others in the community have on their mind. Just try to be a little more polite.

I'm not really interested in informing Chris Taylor about CRPGs. If he wants to get informed, he can play Fallout.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Thanks for all the feedback, yet again. Section 8 was kind enough to post his thoughts at the end of the article, and I was grateful for his tasteful and insightful commentary.

Please don't get the impression that I'm trying to change your opinion. As I stated before, Dungeon Siege I found unique in that it simplified what I considered the dull qualities of that genre. Obviously, his vision of design was vastly different than what some people enjoy in those games, and it was bound to draw some flak.

I just wanted to clarify something. It seems that my loose definition of RPG was focused on in some responses. I understand where you are coming from in classifying genres, but felt that perhaps the general definition of RPG was a bit too strict. I did not mean that any game (or every game) is an RPG due to simulating an experience as another character, and was not the basis of any argument. I was responding to a joke that another poster made about Q3 vs. DS. All references to that comment I will ignore.

I'll have to check out some of those games you suggested. I started playing Morrowind due to the critical acclaim and community buzz about it. It's definitely a different experience, and slightly overwhelming due to the expansive nature of the level design, and the dizzying amount of text thrown at the player. But I can see why it is appreciated - it blends the immersive FPS style of display, while balancing the management styles of RPGs. Definitely a clever title that care was put into. I do have to admit that it's a bit more involved than I care to get with party management. Perhaps it's because I grew up on Atari and C64, when games were much simpler. :wink:

As for the design comment, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There is a fine line between integrity and marketing. In their quest to open up the experience to a mass audience, some elements of gameplay were sacrificed. I'll agree with that. I do stand behind my opinion that his design was largely successful and intuitive, but I look at the game from a different angle than most of you. To me, aside from mass market appeal, good design incorporates a graduated style of play that eases the user into a comfort zone, while never cornering the player into the "dead man walking" pitfall. DS was linear, yes. You could even say it was a souped up Gauntlet with corny storyline if you want. It was designed well, at least from the perspective of someone new to the genre. Consider it an entry level experience on the way to more involved titles.

You are an interesting bunch. Thanks for the dialogue.

bossjimbob

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
bossjimbob said:
Thanks for all the feedback, yet again. Section 8 was kind enough to post his thoughts at the end of the article, and I was grateful for his tasteful and insightful commentary.

Section8, BTW, used to teach game design.

Please don't get the impression that I'm trying to change your opinion. As I stated before, Dungeon Siege I found unique in that it simplified what I considered the dull qualities of that genre. Obviously, his vision of design was vastly different than what some people enjoy in those games, and it was bound to draw some flak.

I'm aware of that. However, I find it odd that you consider walking the only non-dull part of an RPG, because that's all that's required of the player in Dungeon Siege. It's mystifying that it's called an "action RPG" when there's really no action for the player because it's so utterly automated.

I just wanted to clarify something. It seems that my loose definition of RPG was focused on in some responses. I understand where you are coming from in classifying genres, but felt that perhaps the general definition of RPG was a bit too strict. I did not mean that any game (or every game) is an RPG due to simulating an experience as another character, and was not the basis of any argument. I was responding to a joke that another poster made about Q3 vs. DS. All references to that comment I will ignore.

I think you missed the point of his analogy. He was saying that if you applied what Chris Taylor did to the RPG genre to a first person shooter, you'd have something FPS fanboys would probably hate. He wasn't saying Quake 3 was an RPG, he was saying do to Quake 3 what Chris Taylor did to Baldur's Gate, basically.

Perhaps it's because I grew up on Atari and C64, when games were much simpler. :wink:

Depends on the game. There were some early CRPGs for the C64 which are far more complex than the drivel spewed forth by publishers today, including and especially Dungeon Siege!

As for the design comment, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There is a fine line between integrity and marketing.

I think you're talking a 180 degree azimuth here.

In their quest to open up the experience to a mass audience, some elements of gameplay were sacrificed. I'll agree with that. I do stand behind my opinion that his design was largely successful and intuitive, but I look at the game from a different angle than most of you.

A design is only successful if a majority of the people who played it, liked it, and felt they got their money's worth out of it. I don't think that's indicative of a lot of the comments I've seen about it. The gets boring fast argument is probably the number one indication that the design failed. After all, the poimt of design is to make something that entertains, and if it fails in that, it misses the point and is a failure.

There's people still playing Total Annihilation today. Think anyone's going to be playing Dungeon Siege after five years? From what I've read, most people got sick of it after five days.

To me, aside from mass market appeal, good design incorporates a graduated style of play that eases the user into a comfort zone, while never cornering the player into the "dead man walking" pitfall. DS was linear, yes. You could even say it was a souped up Gauntlet with corny storyline if you want. It was designed well, at least from the perspective of someone new to the genre. Consider it an entry level experience on the way to more involved titles.

Souped up Gauntlet? In Gauntlet, you're actually expected to do something other than walk around. Gauntlet has gameplay in spades compared to Dungeon Siege. Now, if you'd said, "DUMBED DOWN GAUNTLET", I'd have agreed.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
The problem with DS is that you can play it with 2 actions.

a) Directing where your team will go.

b) pressing a key that drinks a little of the health potion.

To improve DS it should have .

a) Proper dialogues.
b) Some combat gameplay .

Then it would be like Baldour Gate 2 with better graphicks.(and pathfinding)

But still Dungeon Siege mayby better than Fallout Enforcer.

That is an uncomfortable thought for some reason.

Ibbz

Augur
Text that is other than the default color should be disallowed.

Section8

Cipher
Where did Section 8 teach? What has he worked on?

I used to work at the Academy of Interactive Entertainment, in sunny Canberra, Australia heading up the Diploma of Games Development course. The course was basically 20+ students working as a pseudo development studio. Essentially vocational games industry training for artists, designers and programmers. I also taught a few Game Design courses.

Things I've worked on:

Fallout Tactics
Fallout Tactics 2 (canned)
NRL 2003 (canned)
Hot Wheels Bash Arena
a couple of unsigned student projects, and minor contracts here and there.

Hardly the most inspiring gameography, I know. These days I'm studying programming in the hopes of going indie. I've got more than a few hang ups on how the industry is run, so I'm trying to run my own show.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom